More Fun things to do in Kauai

Most Viewed Things to Do in Kauai

• Assenczo's Profile Photo

Filling up the belly

by Assenczo Updated Aug 29, 2016

Diet reflects culture everywhere and Hawaii is no exception to the rule with a very vivid example on offer. It is a public knowledge that the archipelago has been coveted by many different countries but eventually became part of the USA. In the process of settling the islands though, a population of mostly Asian origins has been established firmly on the islands. One dominant group is the Japanese. So, naturally comes the fusion of something very Japanese like sushi with something very American - spam. Some might think it is WWII nostalgia wrapped in seaweed but in reality it is called MUSUBI SPAM. All jokes aside it is delicious. Washed down with a bottle of beer it becomes sublime. And while munching on it one can think of the price/satisfaction ratio and realise that the person who invented this masterpiece of food is a genius.

Tip

• Fern Grotto - Yikes

by sandrew924 Updated May 3, 2016

Kayaking on the Waimea River with a destination of the Fern Grotto sounded like a peaceful, beautiful little trip. We rented boats from the Smiths. The woman we dealt with was pretty rude (she was having a conversation with a co-worker the entire time and I don't think she ever even looked at us).

At first, the trip seemed everything we hoped it we be. But soon, large barges of tourists lumbered past, belching out black smoke from the diesel? engines. One after another. It was almost comical. Once we made it to the Fern Grotto, we were pretty disappointed. Sort of a neat natural beauty to it, but they've tried to turn it into this big attraction and there's nothing really there. So we jumped back in our boats and paddled back, negotiating the large waves created by the smelly barges that continues to pass us. The next day, we traveled up to Hanalei and rented Kayaks up there. So much nicer. Quiet and peaceful. Exactly what we hoped Waimea would be. To be fair, I know the river continued up farther than the grotto. Perhaps that route proved to be quieter, more beautiful. All in all, felt like a tourist trap and we ended feeling embarrassed that we'd ever chosen it.

Wailua Falls

by GracesTrips Updated Sep 29, 2015

It's amazing how much water comes from this waterfall! This is a definite "must see" or "must do" attraction when you travel to Kauai. Probably, not easy to see by public transportation so you will probably need to rent a car for a day if you don't rent a car for your entire trip.

Almost same pic
    • National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

• Kalalau Trail Visitor Safety Video

by DLNR Written Aug 7, 2015

STATE AND KAUAI COUNTY RELEASE KALALAU TRAIL SAFETY VIDEO
    Designed to Inform Hikers About Preparation and Risks

The Kalalau Trail in the Na Pali Coast State Wilderness Park is likely the most heavily used hiking trail in Hawaii. An estimated 500,000 visitors and residents use the spectacular trail each year. Sandwiched between the ocean and the towering cliffs of the Na Pali Coast, the trail is widely featured in guide books, on travel websites and in blogs.

“There’s little doubt the Kalalau Trail is one of the crown jewels of the entire system of Hawaii State Parks,” said Dan Quinn, administrator of the DLNR Division of State Parks. “Due to its immense popularity, hikers often arrive at the trailhead without having made the proper preparations for what ultimately is a pretty tough trek, especially for beginning hikers,” Quinn went on to say.

The six-minute-long video, produced by DLNR in cooperation with the Kauai County Fire Department and Civil Defense Agency, highlights some of the challenges hikers might face on the Kalalau Trail. It focuses on the first two miles of the hike to Hanakapiai Stream, which is the length the majority of hikers make. A state permit is required to traverse beyond Hanakapiai Stream or Hanakapiai Falls. The entire trail is 11 miles long and those wanting to go beyond Hanakapiai can obtain permits from the Division of State Parks.

Kalalau Trail Visitor Safety Video:

Kauai Coffee Company

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

Okay, I know there is a lot written here on VT about this place. So, I will add - you can sample all their coffee but I was not impressed. The cost of the coffee is not cheap and they did not have any 100% Kona Coffee which is what I really wanted to buy. But for your information, they are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm, easy to find, the coffee plantation is impressive to see - neatly groomed!

Lighthouse on the North Shore

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

So, I wasn't too thrilled to see this but my boyfriend thought I should. There are several birds you can view but none so close that you can get a good look. I thought it smelled bad - like urine. Yes, you have some great views and that's why I'm posting this so I can show you the pictures.

Me, with the lighthouse View Another view And yet, another view Bird in flight at the lighthouse
    • National/State Park

Poipu Beach - South Shore

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

I'm not a great snorkeler, so on this particular day, the ocean was a bit rough and it scared me. My boyfriend was just fine. I tried it - the water was cloudy. I enjoyed the snorkeling on the north shore more. The beach was busier - more people. I liked how the grass went to the beach.

• Diving and Snorkeling

DRIVE AROUND!

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

There is not a ton of things to do on Kauai. If you are not at the beach, then drive around the island. You may stumble upon a farmer's market, a pupu factory (see restaurant tips) or a beautiful scenic view spot.

North Side of island Farmer's Market Egret Walking Road Pic On the way to Poipu

Definitely Snorkel!

by GracesTrips Updated Oct 21, 2014

We wanted to have a boat drop us off at the Napali coast to snorkel but it would cost over $100 for the two of us! And, that in itself would have been okay if it would be worthwhile and see spectacular coral, some eels, octopi, sea anemones, lobsters, etc. But since we snorkeled at Tunnels and in Ha'ena, no coral, no eels, no octopi, no sea anemones or lobsters - we didn't want to pay sooo much and be disappointed. So, for no cost at all - we snorkeled at Tunnels and Haena and I was satisfied to see the most beautiful fish I have ever seen! The water was calm and warm. I enjoyed it a great deal because you can't do this on the beaches of SoCal (Catalina is the exception). Actually, the snorkeling on the North shore of Oahu was better (who knew?)!

Not my pic but this is what it really looks like! Again, not my pic but this is exactly what I saw Ha! This one is my picture!
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• CDM7's Profile Photo

Visit Waimea Canyon

by CDM7 Written Jan 24, 2014

Decided on taking a trip up to Waimea Canyon while on the island of Kauai.This canyon,otherwise known as "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific" is over 10 miles long,1 mile wide and up to 3000 feet deep.The drive up is on a twisty mountainous road and took more than an hour from where our ship was docked.Once at the lookout point you are at the mercy of the weather.While we were there it was mostly cloudy with only the occasional glimpse of the sun and visibility fair to poor.Advisable that you take a coat as the temperature drops considerably when you are at the lookout.Toilets are available,and there is also a guy selling drinks,pineapple chunks and other treats.Pleased that we did this trip but it would have been much better with good visibility.

• Photography

Kauai's Hindu Monastery

by ArenJo Written Jan 16, 2014

I am not Hindu, but once I arrived there I felt inspired to worship. They could tell I was a newbie and one lady there did help me by telling me what to do next. As far as going just as a tourist, it is worth seeing just for that too. Beautiful scenery, great place for people that love photography. They do have wraps once you walk in incase you are not dressed appropriately. Be aware of hours before you go, because until worshipping is done, tourists aren't allowed past the gates leading to the monastery.

Me following the service, in the backyard Flowers at the entrance Burning my worries away Meditation Banyan Peaceful backyard
    • Religious Travel

Must see

by ArenJo Written Jan 16, 2014

This is beautiful, but be warned it is a very long drive with no place to get food or drink for hours. I got nauseous and lightheaded and even driving down quickly to try to get something, it took over an hour from the top.
    Be careful if you go hiking near the top because like I said I was lightheaded even though it isn't that high in elevation compared to mountains on the other islands. The air IS thin up there and you are up in the clouds.

Beautiful red dirt with a stream of water The canyon The wettest place on earth Living the high life

Allerton Gardens

by ArenJo Written Jan 16, 2014

It is very expensive. Check into the website more if you are a Hawaii resident because there are certain days you can get in free or deeply discounted.
    It is gorgeous and you get to taste a lot of the plants there. It is an easy walk around the garden and there is an appropriate number of people on the tour. So, you get lots of opportunity to talk with the tour guide and ask questions.
    There is no food there, but about a mile down the road you can get some good food at the little shopping center.

Rooster and baskets near the entrance Beach at Allerton Gardens Flowers at Allerton Gardens Structure at Allerton Gardens Me inside the large tree
    • Eco-Tourism

Lydgate State Park

by ArenJo Written Jan 16, 2014

The playground here is huge and I took a lot of pictures of it due to all the detail in the design. Plus, it is a great beach for families to play at. There is also picnic tables and bathrooms, so you really could stay all day. You do need to bring food and drink.

Seat / Sign The beach The large playground lava at the playground Designs at the playground

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo

Hike, backpack, camp, and make leis in Kauai

by JulieJueletha Written Dec 6, 2013

Clean, well made gear including tents, trekking backpacks and hiking poles make all inclusive trips enjoyable and keep you traveling light! Book a luxury camping trip or an ultimate challenge backpacking tour with Nature Walk Kauai. Hike, backpack, camp, and surf with Nature Walk Kauai, the travelers guide to outdoor activities on Kauai.

Also available are surfing lessons for our ocean enthusiasts with up to date surfing boards made specifically for beginner and intermediate surfers. An interactive Hawaiian cultural experience is waiting for you where you will make gorgeous flower leis, learn an enchanting hula, story telling and Hawaiian music, all summed up with a fantastic Hawaiian food demonstration with a local kumu, Hawaiian arts teacher!

Lei Making Class

Poipu Hotels
63 Reviews - 155 Photos
Princeville Hotels

Instant Answers: Kauai

Comments

Kauai Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kauai things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kauai sightseeing.
Map of Kauai