Map &

North Shore Surfing Tour
From $350.00

Shopping Tips (8)

People's Open Market

Check out the farmer's markets around Honolulu for great fresh produce. I went to the Makiki District Park market on Monday at 8:30-9:30 AM at 1527 Keeaumoku ST. It is a delightful little park with a community garden, the farmers market is held in the parking lot, there were only a few venders but I got some great bananas, mangoes, tomatoes, and basil. We were staying in an apartment with a kitchen, so was able to bake some fish with delicious macadamia nut oil on it and served with a relish made from the tomatoes and basil. See the website address below for a full schedule of all the open markets around Honolulu, there are quite a few, and get away from Waikiki because if you stay there too long you will go nutty!

Apr 04, 2011

Oils of Hawai`i

Macadamia nut farm and store in a magnificent location in Waialua, Hawai`i. It is located off a breathtaking rain foresty road. The stores are surrounded by no less that 27 huge macadamia nut trees and many other trees. It was a cool, peaceful interlude in our drive. I bought yummy macadamia nut cooking oil that I use judiciously but regularly.

Melodee50's Profile Photo
Melodee50
Apr 04, 2011

Kau Kau Wagon

We are fortunate because we can afford our dreams, dreams of exploring as many destinations as possible. But there are so many people that can’t afford a daily meal.
I was lucky to meet the woman who gives hope and strength to hundreds of those in need, day after day. Her name is Sharon Black, but in Honolulu everybody knows her as Lady Kalona.
On a Saturday, at around 2pm, Kalona’s van pulls off by the Gateway Park in Chinatown, downtown Honolulu, were hundreds of people in need already await her because they know that Lady Kalona and her “army” of volunteers will be there for them with ham & cheese sandwiches, vegetables and fruit, gallons of water and juice, and clothes to donate. She never skipped a Saturday in decades!
Us, tourists, can make a difference too by giving up 3 hours of shopping or uselessly burning our skin on the beach and joining Kau Kau Wagon.
Personally, I had this experience twice, and both times I enjoyed it tremendously. Often, when we refer to a person as “homeless” something dirty, drugged, or drunk comes to mind but the reality is different. At the Gateway Park I had a chance to talk to a philosophy professor who lost everything he ever had, to an old lady that simply can’t afford a good meal because her pension is so ridiculously small, to a single mom of 2 daughters who can afford either her mortgage payments or a full fridge and clothes for her kids, and to a woman that can’t find a job for months. The list of examples can go on and on, but the reality will never change, unfortunately. There will always be people that need help.
If you care and want to make a tiny little difference, write to Kalona at kaukauwagon@aol.com or visit www.kaukauwagon.com.

Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
Nathalie_B
Jan 03, 2009

Where the local quilters shop

I was lucky to be able to attend a quilt show while I was in Hawaii, and asked them where they shop. They told me that everybody starts at Fabric Mart, and if they can't find what they want there, then they look in the more expensive specialty shops. Fabric Mart is on Kalakaua on the route into Waikiki and is easy to get to.

Jun 19, 2008

Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Oahu

Hotels
1088 Bishop Street, (formerly ResortQuest at the Executive Centre Hotel), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
1525 Rycroft Street, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96814, United States
410 Atkinson Drive, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96814, United States
100 Holomoana St., Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Hotels
1696 Ala Moana Boulevard, (formerly Hawaii Polo Inn), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
1775 Ala Moana Boulevard, 96815

Malasadas - the islander’s doughnut

Well they are sort of like doughnuts. Best when served hot. When you order them at a place, they will make them fresh for you, so they are never sitting around waiting for you to come into the store and buy them. There are several kinds to have, but I think the original style is best with the cinnamon sugar on it.

Leonard's Bakery is well known for their malasadas because they have been around for a long time. However...Champion Malasadas are better (some people say - including me). It is a smaller store, but is not too far out of Waikiki.

Leonard's Bakery

808-947-8778

RblWthACoz
Jan 20, 2007

Free/cheap fun

For a taste of daily local life, meander around an average grocery store, seeing what's different and what items (milk!) are frighteningly expensive. Buy some cold Hawaiian microbrew while you're there, then go back to where you're staying and attempt to drink it while watching local news or listening to Hawaiian radio...ah...

jmuehlbauer
Aug 06, 2003

Mokolii Island of shore from Kualoa Point.

This Island Mokolii, or also called China man's Hat,is located about 0.3 miles off shore from Kualoa point,the Island has a narrow shoreline.
To get to this Island you have to find your own way from the Kualoa Regonial State Park by way of boat or Kayak or swimming.
It is a 206 feet climb to the top of the Island,there is not much flat terrain , it is all up and up and the upper half is all Rock..
To get there you need to take Kamehamea Highway 83 between Waikane an Kaaawa Valley.

Waalewiener's Profile Photo
Waalewiener
Mar 26, 2003

For fabric addicts like me

This store has a wonderful selection of Hawaiian and Japanese fabrics including lots of indigos. I enjoyed visiting the Kaimuki neighborhood which is fairly low key and a nice break from Waikiki.

Jun 19, 2008
Yaqui's Profile Photo

Yaqui

"O'ahu ~ “The Heart of Hawai‘i”"
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"Captivating Oahu"
AKtravelers's Profile Photo

AKtravelers

"Oahu: Home Sweet Home in Paradise"
Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Nathalie_B

"Heaven on Earth"
bryINpoland's Profile Photo

bryINpoland

"Oahu"

Things To Do in Oahu

Parasailing

I am sooo afraid of heights! But I was determined to parasail. And it was such a great experience! It was a windy day when we went, so they sent two people at a time. Once you get to the top it is so...

Hawaii State Capitol

Hawaii State Capitol is home to the government of the state of Hawaii. The building, constructed from 1954 to 1969, replaced the Iolani Palace, which was formerly the home of the Hawaiian royalty. The...

Iolani Palace

The Pearl Harbor and Honolulu tour that we took drove us past the Iolani Palace and they told us about it, but we did not have a chance to go in. It was the royal residence of the rulers of the...

Art Museum

THIS IS A PLACE THAT IS REAL EASY TO MISS BECAUSE I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IT EXISTS...I GUESS I COULD HAVE PUT IT ON THE" OFF THE BEATEN PATH".... The Hawaii State Art Museum in...

Kamehameha Statue

It was the last leg to visit in HI - the King Kamekameha Statue. i told my cousin who is touring me around Hawaii that it is a must that i will visit King Kamekameha Statue because i am an avid fan of...

Academy of Art

THERE ARE ALWAYS GREAT DISPLAYS AND EXHIBITS AT THIS PLACE. ..ALSO I HAVE BEEN TO VERY NICE CONCERTS THAT THEY HAVE HAD IN A SMALL AND COMFORTABLE THEATRE THEY HAVE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE GROUNDS....

Getting to Oahu

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

Map