Pearl Harbour, Oahu

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Pearl Harbor

by Jim_Eliason Updated May 24, 2016

Pearl Harbor is still today one of the Navy's biggest bases. Here is the USS Abraham Lincoln in port. A major part of the US's pacific fleet calls Hawaii home and therefore a lot of the town is also set up to serve the military as well as tourists.

Directions: Follow H1 west out of Honolulu

USS Abraham Lincoln

Exhibit Gallery: Road to War

by cjg1 Updated Jul 30, 2015

The Road to War Exhibit was just one of the exhibits we visited during our exploration of Pearl Harbour. This exhibit showed in detail the attack on Pearl Harbour with several maps, film footage and dsplays showing the ships that were hit and in what order. It was very interesting to walk through as see everything; it really puts you in the moment.

Exhibit Gallery: Attack

by cjg1 Updated Apr 20, 2015

One of the Exhibit Galleries at PH was one that highlighted the events leading up to the attack and including the attack. Old black and white photos and film are used throughout the exhibit which makes going back in history even more vivid. Maps, replicas of ships, aircraft and bombs are seens throughout the exhibit.

USS Bowfin Submarine Museum

by cjg1 Updated Jan 12, 2015

During our visit to Pearl Harbour we explore the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum. This museum is dedicated to submarine both past and present. My wife and I enjoyed walking through the exhibit and viewing the various artifacts such as sub weapon systems, photos, paintings, battleflags, recruitment posters and models of subs. The highlight of this museum for me was the Poseidon C-3 missile on display.

Submarine Memorial

by cjg1 Updated Jan 12, 2015

During our visit to Pear Harbour and the Bowfin in particular we came upon the Submarine Memorial. This memorial honors the 52 American submarines and the more than 3,500 submariners lost during WWII.

USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park

by cjg1 Updated Jan 8, 2015

The submarine is owned and operated by the Pacific Fleet Submarine Memorial Association, and is now part of the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park in Pearl Harbor, on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. Visitors can tour the submarine with an audio narration of life in the vessel during World War II. During our tour of Pearl Harbour; we visited the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park. This was included in our admission Ticket; Passport to Pearl Harbour.

The park's museum features exhibits and artifacts about submarines and the history of the United States Submarine Service, including detailed models, weapon systems, photographs, paintings, battleflags, recruiting posters, and a memorial honoring the 52 American submarines and the more than 3,500 submariners lost during World War II. Ther is also a Kaiten torpedo and a 40-mm quad gun, along with Poseidon C-3 and Regulus I missiles. The Bowfin itself is available to board if you choose to explore her.

I enjoyed touring this area and seeing all the artifacts and learning about actual people in sub history.

Ready to explore the sub (January 2014)

USS Arizona

by cjg1 Updated Jan 8, 2015

Pearl Harbour had been on my "to do" list for many years and despite my multiple visits to Oahu I never made it here until 2014. My wife had always wanted to visit Pearl Harbour as many of her family had served in the Pacific during WWII and she even has a picture of her Grandfather in his Navy uniform at Pearl Harbour before the attack(he was not there the day of the attack).

My wife and I designated a day to properly visit Pearl Harbour. We booked our tickets in advance and chose to purchase the One Day Passport to Pearl Harbour tour. This tour was $55 per adult; which I didn't think was bad considering all that was included. The tour consists of: the USS Arizona Memorial Narrated Tour Arizona memorial, admission to the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park, the Battleship Missouri Memorial, and Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor.

Our ticket time was 8:30am and we knew we had to get there early to pick up the tickets and had heard that lines can be rather long. We arranged for transport to pick us up at 6am at the Hyatt Waikiki. We arrived a bit after 6:30 and there was already a line about 20 people deep. Once the visitor center opened we collected our tickets, picked up our audio tour headsets and the map.

We began our tour by exploring some of the exhibits and well as the memorials throughout the area. Since we had the audio guide headsets, we were able to just punch in the numbered attraction and listen to the story. It was an easy and informative addition to the tour that was included in our admission ticket.

At 8:30 we were able to enter the Pearl Harbor Memorial Theater. The line can be long but only those that have the correct time on their ticket are allowed entry so no worry about not getting a seat. Inside the theatre they show a brief introduction, a 23-minute documentary film about Pearl Harbour before you board the shuttle boat to the Arizona Memorial.

Once at the Memorial it is a very somber and sad atmosphere knowing that all those men are still trapped in their watery grave. It makes you think; these men were just doing their job when out of nowhere the attack came. I'm a former Navy man myself and it really puts it all in perspective how quickly events can shift you from peace to war. Inside the memorial are the names of the men who died as well as those survivors who have died and chosen to have their ashes placed here with their fallen comrades.

The constant bubbling of oil to the surface from the Arizona is a constant reminder of what lies below. Seeing the Arizona below as well as sticking partially out from the water's surface paints an eerie picture. It really is something that every American should experience but I don't think I'd want to do it again; it's just too sad.

**Act respectfully; this is technically a gravesite where people died tragically. It really bothered me when people were getting loud and acting in an inappropriate manner.**

A Sad Reminder of Sacrifice The entrance Lei on the most recent service man buried here

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

U.S.S. MISSOURI (BB-63)~Mighty Mo!

by Yaqui Updated Nov 28, 2014

The USS Missouri is a fantastic museum and a must see. We had a fantastic time exploring the deck and below. We wished we had more time to see everything. They have gentlemen who give a free tour, but it took to much time from spot to spot and found we could cover the ship by ourselves quickly. A safety tip! Make sure if you go up or down the stairs/ladder go backwards and hang onto the rails tightly.

The USS Missouri is an Iowa-class battleship designed for speed and firepower and commissioned in mid-1944. It carried out bombing raids over Tokyo and the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. During the last month of the war, the “Mighty Mo” served as Admiral Halsey’s flagship for the Pacific Third Fleet and it was on its decks that General Douglas A. MacArthur presided over the formal signing of the Japanese surrender to the Allied Forces on Sept. 2, 1945.

The Battleship USS Missouri is 887 feet long and 108 feet wide and is 5 feet longer and 18 feet wider than the Titanic. It has nine 116-ton guns on board, and each gun barrel is 67 feet long and can fire a 2,700-pound shell 23 miles in 50 seconds.

Address: 63 Cowpens Street Honolulu, Hawaii 96818

Directions: Pearl Harbor~Ford Island

Phone: (808) 455-1600 ext. 235

Website: http://www.ussmissouri.com/page.aspx?pid=513

Pacific Aviation Museum

by cjg1 Updated Jul 22, 2014

My wife and I arrived th the museum via a shuttle bus from the USS Missouri to Ford Island. We had purchased the Passport to Pearl Harbour Tour that includes this museum as one of the attractions. Visitors can chose to purchase admission to the museum separately if they do not have the Passport Tour.

The museum is divided into two sections; each occupying a WWII hangar. The first thing you notice when you pull up is the large control tower. The tower still has bullet holes from the attack on Pearl Harbour; which is amazing. The tower is in serious need of repair and they are doing some fundraising to help preserve it for future generations as a piece of aviation history.

The museum tour begins with a short film that details the events of December 7th. After the film; we strolled into the main exhibit area in Hangar 37. This was the best part for us; there were authentic WWII planes on display as well as a fun flight simulator.

Both my wife and I were in heaven; we are lovers of aviation history. We enjoyed the displays and reading about the different aircrafts and their uses. They even had a Japanese Zero on display; very cool. At the end of the tour there is an awesome cafe to stop for lunch. My wife and I enjoyed a nice light lunch here. Definitely try their Pineapple Fried Rice...it is incredibly good.

Before you exit; there is a gift shop of course. They have some really cool souvenirs for anyone who is an aviation nut.

Me with one of the many exhibits (January 2014)

U.S.S. Arizona Memorial~Pearl Harbor

by Yaqui Updated Jul 6, 2014

This is the reason we wanted to see Hawai'i, but wanted to see U.S.S. Arizona foremost.

To board the memorial, you need to make sure you have a ticket which is free. You have to see a movie and from there you board a boat provided by the navy. Be aware, they can cancel the boat ride if the waters get too choppy. Best time to see the memorial is first thing in the morning. They expect folks to be cordial and respectable because it is a somber place to visit.

The USS Arizona is the final resting place for many of the ship's 1,177 crewmen who lost their lives on December 7, 1941. The 184-foot-long Memorial structure spans the mid-portion of the sunken battleship and consists of three main sections: the entry room; the assembly room, a central area designed for ceremonies and general observation; and the shrine room, where the names of those killed on the Arizona are engraved on the marble wall.

The USS Arizona Memorial grew out of wartime desire to establish some sort of memorial at Pearl Harbor to honor those who died in the attack. Suggestions for such a memorial began in 1943, but it wasn't until 1949, when the Territory of Hawaii established the Pacific War Memorial Commission, that the first real steps were taken to bring it about.

Initial recognition came in 1950 when Admiral Arthur Radford, Commander in Chief, Pacific (CINCPAC), ordered that a flagpole be erected over the sunken battleship. On the ninth anniversary of the attack, a commemorative plaque was placed at the base of the flagpole.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who helped achieve Allied victory in Europe during World War II, approved the creation of the Memorial in 1958. Its construction was completed in 1961 with public funds appropriated by Congress and private donations. The Memorial was dedicated in 1962.

According to its architect, Alfred Preis, the design of the Memorial, "Wherein the structure sags in the center but stands strong and vigorous at the ends, expresses initial defeat and ultimate victory....The overall effect is one of serenity. Overtones of sadness have been omitted to permit the individual to contemplate his own personal responses...his innermost feelings."

Address: 1 Arizona Memorial Place Honolulu, HI 96818

Directions: Pearl Harbor

Phone: (808) 423-7300

Website: http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

U.S.S. Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park

by Yaqui Updated May 24, 2014

Bowfin was launched on 7 Dec 1942 and nicknamed the Pearl Harbor Avenger. Bowfin claimed 39 Japanese merchant ships and four Japanese military ships sunk. The single French Vichy French merchant ship - Van Vollenhoven - which was sunk off Saigon in convoy with Japanese ships. CDR Alden lists two more unidentified vessels that Bowfin may have sunk, and one large seaplane carrier/tanker that was damaged by a Bowfin torpedo. Mines laid by Bowfin on her third patrol may have sunk or severely damaged at least two other ships. Thirteen small craft were also sunk by her deck guns.

USS Bowfin remains a legend, for among these 188 submarines, Bowfin ranks 17th in tonnage and 15th in number of ships sunk. Fifty-two of 288 combat submarines (almost one out of five) and 3,505 out of 14,750 WWII U.S. submariners (almost one out of four) began their "eternal patrols" before Japan surrendered.

Address: 11 Arizona Memorial Dr Honolulu, HI 96818-3104

Phone: (808) 423-1341

Website: http://www.bowfin.org/

Pacific Aviation Museum

by Yaqui Updated May 24, 2014

Located in Hanger 37 that survived the attack during WWII, the Pacific Aviation Museum is located Pearl Harbor on Ford Island, Hawaii. The museum site occupies 16 acres of the 440-acre island. It includes three historic hangars and an air traffic control tower. The collection expanded to 30 aircraft in 2012 with the addition of a Douglas A-3 Skywarrior used by Raytheon for testing radar sets. A 10 minute film in the 200-seat theater documents the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor and then takes you to inside where you will find some of the nicest exhibits I have ever experienced and each one tells an important story of the days terrible events. I think the enormous full color aerial photo of Ford Island and Pearl Harbor is fantastic. This museum is a must see when your in Honlulu.

Address: 319 Lexington Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96818

Directions: Pearl Harbor~Ford Island

Phone: (808) 441-1000

Website: http://www.pacificaviationmuseum.org/‎

Remembrance Circle

by cjg1 Updated Feb 12, 2014

One of the exhibits we visited during our day at Pearl Harbour was the Remembrance Circle. This exhibit pays tribute to the men, women, and children, both military and civilian, who were killed as a result of the attack on December 7, 1941. Names that are displayed with gold lettering are recipients of the Medal of Honor. Along with the plaque of names is a bronze 3D map of Oahu illustrates the various attack targets of that day.

So many names...

USS Missouri

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Our Passport to Pearl Harbour tour included admission to the USS Missouri. I was eager to tour the "Mighty Mo" as it is called. This battleship was constructed in Brooklyn and put into action during WWII. The Mighty Mo has seen action in WWII, Korea and Desert Storm. They even fired on Iraq when I was in the Navy.

This battleship has seen alot in its days but is most famously known as the site of the Japanese surrender during WWII (there is a commorative plaque on the spot of the surrender). We had a guided tour of the ship that brought us from the outside decks to the interior of the ship. I myself was on an Aircraft Carrier but I was able to show my wife the sort of bunks we had to sleep on in the Navy as they were identical.

I enjoyed this tour very much and our guide was full of information. I especially enjoyed seeing the damage from a Kamikaze pilot on the ship during during the Battle for Okinawa as well as the photographic footage. The actual kamikaze attack was caught on film by the ship's baker by chance.

Me in front of the USS Missouri (January 2014)

Pearl Harbour

by cjg1 Updated Feb 7, 2014

Pearl Harbour had been on my "to do" list for many years and despite my multiple visits to Oahu I nver made it here until 2014. My wife had always wanted to visit Pearl Harbour as many of her family had served in the Pacific during WWII and she even has a picture of her Grandfather in his Navy uniform at Pearl Harbour before the attack(he was not there the day of the attack).

Our ticket time was 8:30 and we knew we had to get there early to pick up the tickets and had heard that lines can be rather long. We arranged for transport to pick us up at 6am at the Hyatt Waikiki. We arrived a bit after 6:30 and there was already a line about 20 people deep. Once the visitor center opened we collected our tickets, picked up our audio tour headsets and the map.

Once at the Memorial it is a very somber and sad atmosphere knowing that all those men are still trapped in their watery grave. It makes you think; these men were just doing their job when out of nowhere the attack came. I'm a former Navy man myself and it really puts it all in perspective how quickly events can shift you from peace to war. Inside the memorial are the names of the men who died as well as those survivors who have died and chosen to have their ashes palced here with their fallen comrades.

Once we were back at the visitor's center we hopped a shuttle bus to the USS Missouri. We had a great tour of the ship and enjoyed seeing the site of the Japanese surrender during WWII. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and made the tour even more interesting. From there we went to see the Pacific Aviation Museum; which was incredible. My wife and I love aviation; in particular the old planes. We even had a nice light lunch at the Café in the museum which was surprisingly quite tasty. The Pacific Aviation Museum was our favorite part of the day and we spent significant time here.

After touring the museum we went back to the Visitor's Center to explore USS Bowfin Submarine and Museum. Before leaving we hit up the gift shop for some souvenirs before heading out to catch our ride back to Waikiki.

We had a great day here exploring and learning new things about the war in the Pacific. This is a must do for anyone visiting Oahu.

**They prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring cameras, cell phones, and wallets. My wife check her straw bag in for a storage fee of $3 and was able to walk around with a small wristlet for her camera and personal items.**

**Be respectful when visiting. Dress appropriately and act appropriately; especially when visiting the Arizona memorial. The Arizona Memorial is a somber place; remember this is a gravesite of many brave men who were killed and entombed in their doomed ship.**

Enjoying my audio guide Taking a break The Arizona memorial the Pacific Aviation Museum

Instant Answers: Oahu