Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Dole Pineapple Tips (6)

Dole Plantation

Ok, I guess I should have read VTers’ tips better. What can I say; this place is a ROYAL waste of time, especially the idiotic train that takes you on a 20 minutes plantation tour. Can you imagine how many pineapples you’ll see in that time?!
There are some good things to say about the place, like the world’s largest maze. This place is kinda fun, children usually enjoy it the most and adults get hooked too running through the place looking for the 9 hidden stations in which they have to stamp a card given to them at the entrance. 4 stamps were enough for me, but some people spend there hours!
There’s a nice garden too, which I actually enjoyed, but all in all, I definitely could spend my precious time better than that.
Oh yeah, and please don’t fool yourself about the prices, you don’t really believe that the pineapples here are cheaper than in supermarkets, right?

Unique Suggestions You want a train? There’s an old Oahu railroad and museum at the Ewa Beach area, I didn’t make it there myself, but to me it sounds much more interesting as well as educating.

Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
Nathalie_B
Nov 02, 2007

Dole Pineapple is NOT Worth Losing Beach Time

One of the most beautiful sites in Oahu used to be looking over vast pineapple fields as they reach towards the mountains. As late as 2002, the top of the broad central plain was devoted almost entirely to cultivating the fruit long associated with Hawaii. Often, passing rainstorms would leave rainbows to accentuate the rows of spiny leaves in the dark red clay. However, don't think this means that the Dole pineapple plantation is worth your time.
The first time I went, I was tricked into visiting it by a friend who raved about the pineapple ice cream there. I love ice cream. I'll do almost anything for ice cream. But this wasn't good ice cream -- not nearly creamy enough!! And the rest of the plantation disappointed, too. There was more to buy than there was to see. You could take the Pineapple Express train for a short narrated tour that describes how to grow a pineapple and how important the Dole family was to Hawaii. Or you can take the garden tour where you get to plant your own pineapple (yeah! free labor for Dole!). But mostly, you can regret spending time here!
Interestingly, pineapples must be planted and harvested by hand, as no one has yet invented the right equipment. That's why the industry is dying in Hawaii -- cheaper labor costs in the Philippines and Thailand make it difficult for Hawaii's pineapples to compete. Del Monte closed its Hawaii operations in 2007. When Dole goes, this plantation will be even more of a tourist trap!

Unique Suggestions If you must go here, go here with a sunburn. I don't mean fry your skin just to go here, but that if you have overdone it on the beach and you need to find something to do that shields your red skin from the sun, this might be it, as the Wahiawa area is often cloud-covered and rainy. But then again, there are other alternatives on the island, too.

AKtravelers's Profile Photo
AKtravelers
Oct 27, 2007

Dole Pineapple Plantation

Unfortunately this was a part of the "circle island" tour that we booked. Even our driver admitted it was a tourist trap.

We went inside the big yellow "house" to the gift store and eatery places. It was teeming with tourists purchasing pineapples for shipment home, others finding their way through the world's largest maze (not the one out doors but the one just to get to the cashier.)

I signaled Kris to hightail it out and meet me. Upon doing so, the air cleared and the sun shone, we could breathe again. We happened to come to a small farmer's market.

Unique Suggestions So if your tour stops here, skip the Dole Plantation stuff and head right for the farmer's market. Although the girls can be a little snippy they still offer the BEST tasting fruit known to man. The mangoes were delectable.

keida84's Profile Photo
keida84
Jul 31, 2005

Pineapple Plantation - Nothing to shout about.

Leave this ti the last if you have to see it. There are a lot more interesting things to do in Oahu.

The only reason we when there was because we have a free round the island tour and this is one of the stop.

Robdaz's Profile Photo
Robdaz
Feb 18, 2005

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Dole Pineapple

Hotels
1088 Bishop Street, (formerly ResortQuest at the Executive Centre Hotel), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96813
1525 Rycroft Street, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96814, United States
410 Atkinson Drive, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96814, United States
100 Holomoana St., Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Hotels
1696 Ala Moana Boulevard, (formerly Hawaii Polo Inn), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
1775 Ala Moana Boulevard, 96815

Dole Pineapple Plantation & Maze - SKIP IT!

e-gads! what a waste of time... this was nothing more than an oversized gift shop.

I asked a local woman about the maze - she said it was such a waste of money that she would not feel right reccommending it. "Its hot in there, and its boring - the children are often disapointed!"

Unique Suggestions if you have to do it, then do it... but just remember - I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Fun Alternatives If you want a small-scale pineapple plantation experience, drop into the little one next door... it closes early, but there is a shop for gifts & a cute little coutyard.

You will feel like you are once again in Hawaii, rather than on Main Street in Disneyland!

tracynew72's Profile Photo
tracynew72
Dec 24, 2004

All about Pineapples it's NOT

Dole Plantation is merely a tourist shop. In the back is a small area with pineapple information and several good places to take pictures. There is a "large shrub maze" off to the right, which is another gimmick. The only "pineapple" thing about the maze is the aerial view in which the maze is shaped like a pineapple. Be prepared to pay high buck for anything in the store. The maze is $5 to enter.

Unique Suggestions Well, if you find yourself at the Dole plantation, be sure to visit the back of the store where the real pineapples are growing ... there are some pineapple facts out there too ... you'd be surprised how may fruit each plant yields in 2 1/2 years!

Fun Alternatives There is an interesting pineapple patch down the road. It growns a large variety of different pineapples from different places around the world.

TropicGirl77's Profile Photo
TropicGirl77
Feb 24, 2003
Yaqui's Profile Photo
"O'ahu ~ “The Heart of Hawai‘i”"
cjg1's Profile Photo
"Captivating Oahu"
AKtravelers's Profile Photo
"Oahu: Home Sweet Home in Paradise"
Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
"Heaven on Earth"
bryINpoland's Profile Photo
"Oahu"

Things To Do Near Dole Pineapple

Things to do
I am sooo afraid of heights! But I was determined to parasail. And it was such a great experience! It was a windy day when we went, so they sent two people at a time. Once you get to the top it is so...
Things to do
Hawaii State Capitol is home to the government of the state of Hawaii. The building, constructed from 1954 to 1969, replaced the Iolani Palace, which was formerly the home of the Hawaiian royalty. The...
Things to do
The Pearl Harbor and Honolulu tour that we took drove us past the Iolani Palace and they told us about it, but we did not have a chance to go in. It was the royal residence of the rulers of the...
Things to do
THIS IS A PLACE THAT IS REAL EASY TO MISS BECAUSE I THINK A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T EVEN KNOW THAT IT EXISTS...I GUESS I COULD HAVE PUT IT ON THE" OFF THE BEATEN PATH".... The Hawaii State Art Museum in...
Things to do
It was the last leg to visit in HI - the King Kamekameha Statue. i told my cousin who is touring me around Hawaii that it is a must that i will visit King Kamekameha Statue because i am an avid fan of...
Things to do
THERE ARE ALWAYS GREAT DISPLAYS AND EXHIBITS AT THIS PLACE. ..ALSO I HAVE BEEN TO VERY NICE CONCERTS THAT THEY HAVE HAD IN A SMALL AND COMFORTABLE THEATRE THEY HAVE ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE GROUNDS....

Getting to Dole Pineapple

Address

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Map