Map &

Big Bus Chicago Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
From $40.00

Gino's East Tips (22)

Various: Pizza-the rest

Pizza is a very controversial topic to Chicagoans, we all have our favorites and the ones we scratch our heads over why people rave about these places. To be fair, here's a list of some of the places that have won hearts other than mine

Gino's East at 633 N. Wells, River North-I've eaten here twice, the first time over on Superior before they relocated and more recently (April 2006) when Jen (coair13) came to town. Now I'd say between the three of us, me, Jen and my husband, we've eaten more than our fair share of pizza and we all agreed that we just didn't care for this pizza here.

Pequod's at 2207 N. Clybourn-we ate here in June 2006 with Steve (spgood301). Time Out rates it one of it's 5 best pizzas, I see it recommended all the time on Chicago forums and although I thought it was OK, I was a little perplexed by all the accolades. Their speciality is pan pizza, the waitress said pepperoni was their most popular. I thought the crust was too thick and the carmelized crust? Tasted like burnt pizza crust, they can call it carmelized if they want.

Art of Pizza, 3033 N. Ashland (Lakeview)-we ate here in December 2006, maybe we should have ordered a whole pizza but we tried the various slices they had sitting out and we tried each kind-stuffed, pan and thin and didn't care for any of them. Way too much crust on the stuffed, even too much crust on the thin crust. Once again I'm perplexed about it's accolades, the Chicago Tribune rated it the best deep dish back in 2001 (and actually there was no true deep dish on the menu).

Pizano's, multiple locations, we ate at the 61 E. Madison location in June 2011 and it's just not my kind of pizza, some people say it's similar to Lou Malnati's but it's not, a little too bready for my tastes, little to no sauce

Dabs's Profile Photo
Jun 19, 2011

Gino's East: Classic Chicago-Style Pizza!

When you come to Chicago, you just can't miss the classic Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. There are many, many pizza places here, and Gino's is one of the most famous. It's very popular with tourists and young people, who like to graffiti their names onto the walls all over the restaurant.

Favorite Dish When I have guests from out of town, they always want to try the deep dish pizza at this restaurant. I enjoy all kinds of toppings on my pizza, so anything goes! Choose from anchovies, bacon, black olives, chicken, garlic, mushrooms, green olives, green peppers, ground beef, jalepenos, onions, pepperoni, pineapple, red onions, sausage, tomatoes and spinach.

Marisola's Profile Photo
May 31, 2010

Gino's East: Chicago's Original Deep Dish Pizza !!

Gino's East is the original creator of Chicago's famous deep dish pizza. The resturant is a biker haven complete with graffiti on the walls.

Favorite Dish The pizza is Divine!! The more toppings you put on it the better it tastes :-)

monika79's Profile Photo
Oct 06, 2004

Gino's East: The First Deep Dish Pizza

Chicago isn't just a meat city, it's also a pizza city, and you can't leave the place without at least trying one of its original pizza inventions once: the Deep Dish Pizza. And if you are going to go for it, you may as well drop in at one of the originals, like Gino's East. Their very first pizza place is just off Michigan, on Superior Street. It's all there with the graffiti on the wall and everything.

For me the deep dish pizza wasn't all that inspiring. It was a soup of rich, meaty tomato sauce in a soggy pie-like dough casing. Everyone else loved it though!

Come with a big appetite, or a friend to share with, as nothing here is small.

Favorite Dish Hmmm... Deep Dish Pizza. Don't bother with anything else.

antistar's Profile Photo
Jul 28, 2007
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Gino's East

166 East Superior Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States formerly Affinia Chicago Hotel
701 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
160 E Huron, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
160 E Huron, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
108 E Superior St, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
676 North Michigan Ave, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Gino's East: Not the Best Deep Dish

An historic Chicago institution, Gino's may not be the best deep dish pizza in the city! The graffiti covered walls and dimmed lights make it a unique pizza experience, but it was about 250 degrees when we ate here...which made it quite ovenlike and unpleasant. One of my favorite sayings about pizza is -

"Pizza is like sex, when it's's REALLY good. When it's's still pretty good."

Apr 19, 2006

Gino's East: Chicago Style Pizza

I won't pretend to be an expert on the best Chicago style pizza but it is really good here and from the crowds it seems popular. Prepare to be patient--it takes about 45 minutes for them to prepare your pizza but it is so worth it. And order small because it is extremely filling.

Skibbe's Profile Photo
Sep 19, 2009

Ginos East of Chicago: Great traditional Deep Dish Pizza

If you want the local specialty of Deep Dish pizza, you should go to this restaurant. It was very good and very filling. It is kind of a popular stop. Most people who go there sign their names anywhere they can find, so its rare to see a wall with no writing on it.
That is a Nice Tradition.

Favorite Dish Deep Dish Pepperoni

crmeers's Profile Photo
Feb 24, 2009

Gino's East: The Standard

Chicago pies are different. If you've never had a real deep dish, you can't understand this. It doesn't mean you'll like them. Maybe you're a New York style lover, or an Italian, or maybe you can't get enough mayonnaise or ketchup on your Russian-influenced Chinese pizza. But if you've never had Chicago Deep Dish, it's well worth a try.

Chicago pies are big. Deep doesn't mean what you get at most chains. Deep could mean an inch thick. Bring hunger. Leave happy.

Gino's East is a standard among tourist hot-spot restaurants. Write your name on the wall, if you want. They have other food as well, but don't bother if you're only visitin once.

There are just a few locations around the Chicago area. I recommend the one on Wells.

Downtown - Chicago, IL
633 N. Wells St. (Ontario and Wells)
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 943-1124
Fax: (312) 943-9589

Downtown - Chicago
162 E. Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611
Phone: 312-266 DEEP (3337)
Fax: 312-266-6770

820 S. Milwaukee Ave.
Libertyville, IL 60048
(847) 362-1300
Fax: (847) 362-1365

Favorite Dish The cheeseburger pizza is pretty good, but there are better items on the menu. Here's a link:

John195123's Profile Photo
Jan 21, 2009
Dabs's Profile Photo

"The place I call home"
deecat's Profile Photo

"Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
yooperprof's Profile Photo

"Never A Lovely So Real"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

rmdw's Profile Photo

"Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
View Member

Gino's East: Chicago Style Pizza at its Finest!

Famous for their pizza, Ginos and Ginos East are soem of the best hole-in-the-wall pizza joints in town. We actually went to the original Gino's (not Gino's East). You'll be shocked to see such a small, dark and graffiti-stricken place to have such amazing food but the ghetto-style casualness of this restaurant is what gives it character. Go ahead--leave your name on the wall! But be patient--remember, deep dish pizza takes a long time to make, so don't get there TOO hungry! Give you appetite about 45 minutes after ordering to build up!

Favorite Dish Take a guess! ;-)
(The pizza, silly!) :)

HotRodEtte's Profile Photo
Mar 25, 2006

Gino's East: The best pizza in Chicago !!!!

I often get the question of which deep dish pizza is the best in Chicago and I believe that it is Gino's East ... the trick of this pizza is just to order 2 topping's max !!! after that the pizza becomes almost too much to eat !!!! Be warned it takes about 45 minutes for these pizza to be served to you so know that in advance .... One of the must do eating experiences here in Chicago !!!! If your really hunger a normal person can eat 3 slices but usually 2 will do !!!!

jlanza29's Profile Photo
Jul 25, 2011

Gino's East: “Very good experience.”

The food was very good and place was very clean. Our waitress did a very good job getting our order and getting drinks to us in a decent amount of time. I was having the Chicago Firehouse pizza and very much could have used a refill sooner. Great atmosphare and quick staff. I would recommend to friends. Good place to eat if visiting the. Chicago O'Hare area.

SmanthaJones's Profile Photo
Jul 23, 2015

Gino's East Pizza: Gino's East Pizza

Graffiti everywhere!!!!!!! Even on the glass you drink...but I have to admit that's a little too much. Oh, by the way, graffiti in the restrooms is prohibited, or you'll have to clean the toilet bowls for free if you get busted. Nah! I made it up!

Favorite Dish Deep dish pepperoni/sausage Supreme with double cheese!!!!!! It was the MOST delicious pizza I had in the whole wide world!!!!! I really miss it A LOT!!!!

TravelerM's Profile Photo
Sep 08, 2002

Things To Do Near Gino's East

Museum of Contemporary Art

Recently,I returned to this art museum that emphasizes temporary art exhibits.I saw an excellent array of Alexander Calder mobiles,a fine group of Marisol creations,several fine Andy Warhol...

St James Cathedral

St. James Cathedral is located in the heart of Chicago. I discovered this place by coincidence. I was not expecting to find a 100 year-old nice building among the skyscrappers. I was amazed when i saw...

Chicago Food Planet

Chicago Food Planet specializes in food tours in Chicago's Near North and Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhoods. The guides are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the city! The tours last about three...

Water Tower

The Chicago Water Tower is a contributing property in the Old Chicago Water Tower District landmark district. This tower was constructed to house a large water pump, intended to draw water from the...

Signature Lounge-Hancock

Rosie [rozehill] and I went to the Hancock Building, but we did not wish to pay $13.00 for a view of the city. Instead, we rode the rapid elevator to the 96th floor (note that the observation deck for...

John Hancock Center

My experience at the John Hancock Center was great. The staff who worked there were kind, considerate, and helpful. I didn't go to any of the building's stores or apartments, but I did visit the...

Getting to Gino's East