Map &

Chicago Grand Half-Day Tour
From $48.00
Chicago North Side Tour
From $29.00

Heaven on Seven Tips (10)

Heaven on Seven: Nawlins in Chicago-- hot, Hot, HOT!

We just walked in here when we were looking for an early meal one night. We had been headed for California Pizza Kitchen, but thought "Why not?"
The atmosphere is seriously Mardi Gras, as the pictures will attest. We sat down around 5:15pm, but by the time we left at 6:15pm the place was jumping.
Each table has a selection of hot sauces. There is also a wall FULL of hot sauces. We tried a couple -- they were HOT!

Favorite Dish I had the chili and my husband had the chopped salad with chicken on it. Both were very tasty.

shrimp56's Profile Photo
Apr 08, 2007

Heaven on Seven: Loop-Casual Cajun for the lunchtime crowd

Last visit to Rush Street location 11/25/06

Heaven on Seven purists insist that the original location of this restaurant, located on the 7th floor of the Garland Building, is the best. And it's the only location where the name actually makes sense :-)

There's usually a line at lunchtime in the warmer months at this location but it goes quickly. If you are looking to have dinner, you will have to try one of the other locations as this one is only open for dinner on the 1st & 3rd Fridays of each month.

We've also tried the location on Rush Street for dinner, the menu is larger and they do accept credit cards here. On a Sunday night, it wasn't crowded at all, on Saturday nights we've had to wait even as late as 9:30pm.

Favorite Dish Lunches and dinner come with a bowl of soup, gumbo should be your choice if it is offered.

We tried the Jambalaya and a shrimp po' boy, both were tasty.

For hot sauce aficionados, there are 20 or so to choose from on every table with catchy names like Ass in Space and Hot Buns on the Beach.

My 11/06 visit to the Rush Street location was a little disappointing, I ordered a fried oyster platter and the oysters were almost all breading. If you're going for lunch stick with the Wabash location, I really do think it's better.

Dabs's Profile Photo
Nov 27, 2006

Heaven on Seven: Try the gumbo

I first heard of this Cajun restaurant on a couple of VT pages, namely Hotsauce28 and Seabiscuit (thanks for the tip guys!). Yummy Cajun food in an authentic atmosphere, right in downtown Chicago. They had live Louisiana music, at noon on a Saturday - pretty cool.

Heaven on Seven has several types of Cajun food, enough for any appetite & taste. Sit at the bar and bring some friends at a table. You'll love it.

Favorite Dish I really enjoyed their gumbo, but I'll be back for other food real soon.

spgood301's Profile Photo
Feb 13, 2006

Heaven on Seven: Great Place To Go Before or After Cub Game

On a beautiful August afternoon, I drove to Andersonville neighborhood in Chicago, parked the car, walked to the "red line station on West Berwyn, and rode the "L" to Addison Station, right next to Wrigley Field. I walked one block to meet my friend Darren (DarrenintheUK) who was visiting Chicago and attending many Cub games! The place we were supposed to eat was closed that day; instead, we walked about one block and decided to try Heaven on Seven, which I had meant to try. Darren introduced me to his friend, Kim Kauser from Minnesota, and the three of us ate lunch here.

It was great to meet Kim; she is delightful, and it's always so wonderful to see Darren again. It seems as though we have known each other forever. He is so humorous, interesting, and kind. This time, he brought a present for my new grandchild, Sabrina Dee; I gave him a Wrigley Field T Shirt, which he seemed to like.

We had a lovely conversation for more than an hour, and it was sad to say goodbye to these two amazing people. I hope that we make it a yearly event.

Favorite Dish Heaven on Seven is a well known place here in specializes in New Orleans cuisine. Kim had a soup; Darren had a large salad; and I ordered a small salad and an appetizer of Popcorn Shrimp. I was amazed at the size of the shrimp. Usually popcorn shrimp is quite small. The shrimp was tender, tantalizing, and quite delicious. The salad was average. They have Pecan and Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Squares that are supposed to be "to die for", but we did not order them on this day...saving it for another time.

Some of their traditional dishes are Mardi Gras Jambalaya, Etouffee of the Day, Red Beans and Rice with Andouille Sausage, and Vegetarian Black Beans with Pico de Gallo. They all sound quite wonderful.

So, if you are ever in Wrigleyville, give Heaven on Seven a try.

deecat's Profile Photo
Sep 08, 2005
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Heaven on Seven

540 N Michigan Ave., Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
162 E Ohio Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60611-3105, United States
630 N Rush St, (formerly Baymont Inn Chicago Downtown), Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
521 North Rush St. at Michigan Ave, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
165 E Ontario St, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Heaven on Seven: Creole cooking..

I had the pleasure of having lunch here with Hotsauce, Funnybee and Seabiscuit. It's Gumbo and crawfish and hotsauce galore. There is a huge wall of hot sauce when you walk in, which really did put Hotsauce in heaven! They put a whole bunch of bottles of hotsauce on your table, and I think it was more fun trying all the different bottles and reading all the names than it was actually eating the food.
They will give you Mardigras beads and there is a crawfish race too!

Favorite Dish I liked the Gumbo a lot, and every bite of it I tried a different sauce which changed every mouthfull. I tasted FB's crabcakes and they were really great too.

Katmosphere's Profile Photo
Jun 19, 2005

Heaven on Seven: hotsauce galore!

As soon as i walked in i was in heaven...the wall of Hotsauce, the funky interior, and they let you play with the crawfish!!
CRAWFISH RACE!!!! don't have to show skin to get the Mardi Gras beads!!!

Favorite Dish I had the VooDoo was okay i guess...the gumbo was delish!!
what else...hmmm....oh, the bloody mary wasn't so good but it could've been me...too much boozie the nite before...

Jun 09, 2005

Heaven on Seven on Rush: To Drool or Not to Drool, There is No Question

What can I say? Inland Cajun/Creole that is as close to New Orleans as one could be, in Chicago. Ms. Beee, Katmo, HotSauce (for more than obvious reasons) and I stopped by this restaurant for lunch on Rush Street..

Hoppin' John's, Crab Cakes, (outstanding cole slaw) are just the beginning. The "Wall of Fire" in the entry made HotSauce 'hotter'! The crawfish races were certainly novel. The interior of this Restaurant screams Mardi Gras - plus, we all got beads, and the Girls didn't have to "Go Wild" to get them (dammit!).

Favorite Dish Anything Cajun. The menu is so vast, that to pick one single item, after only one visit would be impossible.

Seabiscuit's Profile Photo
Jun 07, 2005

Heaven on Seven: Mardi Gras in Chicago

Cajun food and Great drinks! This is such a fun place. You'll feel like you're in New Orleans. Jimmy Bannos' flagship restaurant became so popular in Chicago circles that he had to open four of them. The Michigan Avenue location is probably the most popular, but the one in Wrigleyville is easy access before or after a Cubs game. (The original on Wabash is only open for lunch.) They celebrate Mardi Gras all year long - but really step it up the entire month before the New Orleans event. The walls are also lined with bottles of hot sauces from around the globe. If you bring in a bottle they don't have they'll add it to their collection and give you a free T-shirt. Try to stump them, I dare you!

Favorite Dish Have a Hurricane or a Green Apple Martini handy if you're brave enough to try the "Hot as a Mutha". I recommend only the appetizer portion on this one because "hot" doesn't even come close to describing it! Their cheese grits are to die for - so rich and creamy. If you're in the mood for something a little lighter you can't go wrong with one of their Po' Boy snadwiches.

Etoile2B's Profile Photo
Feb 15, 2005
Dabs's Profile Photo

"The place I call home"
deecat's Profile Photo

"Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
yooperprof's Profile Photo

"Never A Lovely So Real"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

rmdw's Profile Photo

"Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
View Member

Heaven On Seven: Heaven On Seven - Cajun Food!

I first heard about this restaurant when I was doing some research for my trip to Chicago and was pleasently suprised when I found it was opposite my hotel.

It's almost hidden away being on the second floor [that's the 1st floor to us Brits] of a non-descript building that also houses a multiplex movie theatre. (See the picture)

The food is great -- especially the gumbo and jambalaya which I tried, although I would not recommend taking the kids.

The front room has a 'coffee-shop' decor (though one huge wall is completely covered by 1500 bottles of hot sauce, known as the Wall of Flame), and there's a nice food bar where you can sit comfortably if you're eating by yourself, as I did. The back room is darker and more intimate..

Paulie_D's Profile Photo
Oct 16, 2003

Heaven on Seven on Michigan...

Heaven on Seven on Michigan Avenue.

Really friendly service. Great atmosphere. Really know how to serve a Southern Comfort!
Heaven on Seven has the largest collection of hot sauces I've ever seen... there's a whole wall full and you can just help yourself!

Favorite Dish Chicken Voodoo pasta is quite an experience!

Aug 26, 2002

Things To Do Near Heaven on Seven

Magnificent Mile/Michigan Avenue

Pioneer Court is an open space which is the start of Chicago's Magnificent Mile. Located on the east side of North Michigan Avenue just north of the Chicago River and just south of the Tribune Tower....

Tribune Tower

Although the Tribune Tower (1922-25), built for the Chicago Tribune newspaper, is a magnificent example of 'sortof Gothic' skyscraper, with some elements strongly reminiscent of European Gothic...

St James Cathedral

St. James Cathedral is located in the heart of Chicago. I discovered this place by coincidence. I was not expecting to find a 100 year-old nice building among the skyscrappers. I was amazed when i saw...

Wrigley Building

When chewing-gum magnate William Wrigley Jr. started scouting locations for his company headquarters, he wanted to make a strong impression. He found just the spot on a triangular piece of land at the...

Shaw's Crab House

Known for their crab and oysters .. they have amazing seafood. We have been here many times and both their loations are great .. and expensive. I like the romantic jazzy atmosphere . the service...

Michigan Avenue Bridge

Michigan Avenue Bridge crosses the Chicago River to connect the Loop with the Magnificient Mile in downtown Chicago. This bascule bridge was completed in 1920, and it was built in what could be...

Getting to Heaven on Seven