Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Art Institute of Chicago Admission
"The Art Institute of Chicago located in famous Grant Park is the second-largest art museum in the US. With your admission ticket spend a day exploring the amazing museum at your own pace. Browse a spectacular collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist masterpieces from famous artists including Claude Monet Pierre-Auguste Renoir Georges Seurat and Vincent van Gogh.At the critically acclaimed Modern Wing – just a short walk from Millennium Park over the spectacular pedestrian bridge – admire some of world’s greatest collections of modern and contemporary art from masters such Pablo Picasso
From $25.00

Chicago CityPass
"Chicago CityPASS includes entry to: Shedd Aquarium (includes VIP entry to Waters of the World galleries Amazon Rising Wild Reef Abbott Oceanarium Polar Play Zone Amphibians special exhibit and Stingray Touch (May to October) plus your choice of a 4-D Experience. The Field Museum (includes All-Access Pass
From $98.00

Big Bus Chicago Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
"Board the open-top double-decker bus at any of the 14 stops to start your hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour of Chicago and listen to live commentary through provided earphones to find out fun facts about the city and its iconic architecture.

The full circuit takes about about 2 hours but you can hop off and back on as many times as you like within a 24- 48- or 72-hour period depending on option selected when booking. Buses run regularly giving you flexibility to discover the city at your leisure. The bus route takes you through Grant Park
From $40.00

Art Institute Tips (95)

One Of The Counties Most Impressive Art Museums

A very large impressive art museaum .. one of the countries finest .. nice selection of some famous art ... go when you can spend the day .. I believe Thursdays have extended hours. I really enjoyed my visit and I made a new friend.
I was the McCormick place ..the huge convention center ... trying to figure out how to buy a train or bus pass to get around .. it was deserted and a bit scary down there ... when a pretty lady happened by. She was also trying to figure out how to guy a train ticket or pass .. and turns out we were both heading to the art museum ... what are the odds.
We ended up spending the day together and chatted about our lives .. what a great place to share the day. This was her last day in the City ..she'd only been for 2 days so didn't get to do much. We really had a blast ... she lives across the country for me but we are going there for vacation in a month .. again what are the odds. We had planned this prior to meeting her.
if you are going to be in town for several days buy a pass .. a go pass or something similar to save alot.

chattygirl7491's Profile Photo
chattygirl7491
Oct 15, 2016

Great Art and made a new friend

One of the best Art Museums in the US ... Another great on Museum row in Chicago. This is a must and I'm so glad I finally made it here. We'd been to Chicago several times and this was always on my bucket list .. I'm glad I finally made it and allotted the whole day. They are open later on Thursdays and so that's when I went. I was greatful for the extra time since every time I thought I'd seen everything .. I'd spot something I missed.
I was trying to figure out how to buy a subway pass and there was no one around the McCormick place subway area .. when a lady came down also new to this .. and we discovered where heading the same place. We spent the day exploring the museum and chatting about our lives .. had the best time. I hope we stay in touch.
We also had similar tastes in art ... it was surreal being that close to so much famous art. Now in all fairness there is always pieces that you just don't get or like ... art is subjective. I don't care what the experts say .. I like what I like. For example I''ll admit I'm not at all impressed with the Mona Lisa .. and it's even less impressive in person .. but that is of course in Paris ... but all the famous art here was works I like a lot. It's an impressive collection.
Sharing all this with this lady and all we shared about our lives throughout the day .. it was a special moment.

chattygirl7491's Profile Photo
chattygirl7491
Sep 29, 2016

See the Famous Paintings in Person

1 - I don't really like art museums. 2 - I'm glad I went to this art museum. So you know all those paintings you saw in your school textbooks? You can see the real things here. In their original size, with their original details. It was actually really cool! My favorite part was actually the miniature rooms in the basement, the detail is incredible. The grounds around the museum are also nice, and it borders Millennium Park.

apuleuis's Profile Photo
apuleuis
Jun 09, 2015

Art Institute-Chagall windows

One of my favorite things to visit at the Art Institute are the vibrant blue Chagall designed "America Windows" which were installed at the Art Institute in 1977. They were designed by Chagall to celebrate our nation's bicentennial in 1976 and after hearing of the death of Mayor Richard J. Daley (Daley the elder who died in 1976, not Richard M. Daley who was Mayor from 1989-2011), Chagall dedicated the windows to him.

The 6 stained glass panels each show a different theme-music, art , literature, freedom, theater and dance. In the attached picture of the freedom panel, you can see a dove, the Statue of Liberty and the Chicago skyline in it.

The windows were off display for a long time but they are back in a different part of the museum. Follow the signs to the member lounge or the Stock Exchange room, they are just up the stairs from both,.

Sep 16, 2013

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Art Institute

76 East Monroe Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60603, United States
12 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60603, United States
17 East Monroe Street, Box 75845, Chicago, Illinois, 60603, United States
Hotels
10 S Wabash Ave, (formerly Crowne Plaza), Chicago, Illinois, 60603, United States
22 W Monroe St, Chicago, Illinois, 60603, United States
1 West Washington, Chicago, Illinois, 60602, United States

Top 10-Art Institute

On Thursdays the Art Institute is open late until 8pm when it is free to Illinois residents, there does not appear to be any free admission for non-Illinois residents. Current exhibit Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity runs through September 29, 2013, there is a $15 charge for Illinois residents on the free night, otherwise included in your general admission ticket

This is my favorite museum in Chicago, truly a world class art museum. The impressionist collection is especially impressive, thanks to Bertha Palmer who donated much of the art on display, and the most popular section so try to hit this early in the day.

My must see painting list includes:

-Paris Street; Rainy Day by Gustave Caillebotte
-A Sunday on La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat
-Nighthawks by Edward Hopper
-American Gothic by Grant Wood
-Two Sisters by Renoir
-On the Bank of the Seine, Bennecourt by Claude Monet
-The Old Guitarist by Pablo Picasso
-The Bath by Mary Cassatt

You should also make a point of seeing the beautiful blue Chagall stained glass windows which are back on display after a facelift, the Thorne minature rooms, decorated to look like rooms from both American and European historical periods and the room from the old Chicago Stock Exchange.

There is usually a special exhibition going on that requires separate timed tickets and they can be very popular. If you have your heart set on seeing it, you might try and get tickets in advance, especially at the end of the run when all the procrastinators go.

And a little Chicago history, the Art Institute, was founded in 1879 and moved to the current building in 1893, the year of the Columbian Exposition in Chicago, although the current Museum of Science and Industry was the Exposition's Palace of Fine Arts. Thanks to Chicago catalog king Montgomery Ward, it is the only building in Grant Park, he sued to keep Grant Park "public ground forever to remain vacant of buildings".

If you are looking for a place nearby to eat, a couple of good choices are Russian Tea Time or Park Grill or there are a handful of faster food options on Wabash-Vapriano for Italian, Flat Top Grill for stir fry or Corner Bakery.

Aug 19, 2013

Magnificent museum / institute

We spent during our short visit to Chicago in August a couple of hours at the Art Institute in Chicago, and those hours passed like minutes and each hour was a century worth! The Institute is really great and we enjoyed our stay there hugey. Of course, for only a couple of hours we could not see everything so that we chose first to see the collection of European painting and sculpture, which is considered as one of the best collectionsof such art in the world and we were more than enchanted with our choice. After that, I went to see the collection of the "Thorne Miniature Rooms" and I could not believe how such miniatures can be done so perfectly! Unbelievable! I felt like I was sitting in each of those rooms in the appropriate era (period) and wished I could really be there. Do not miss this exposition and, above all, do not miss the Institute if you go to Chicago!

Minceta's Profile Photo
Minceta
Nov 22, 2012

Art Institute of Chicago

I think this place is one of the best Museums in Chicago. Nice arrangement of the collections and a perfect museum shop, quite large. I do hope I'll visit this place again. I especially liked the African section and the American Art section.

yvgr's Profile Photo
yvgr
Apr 09, 2012

A few of my favorite things

I've probably been to this one half a dozen times and it's still my favorite thing to do in Chicago. The Art Institute has a wonderful collection ranging from ancient to modern, and some pieces that are old and very good friends of mine. Four audio guide tours (extra fee) are available with a fun one geared to the youngsters so families can explore the world of art together. With 2 cafes, an upscale restaurant and very nice gift shop, it's easy to fritter away more than a few hours on a rainy day.

Fully handicapped accessible and open 7 days a week except for Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's days. The museum is open late on Thursdays: a good time to browse without the daytime crowds. See the website for hours, entry fees and other details.

NOTE: the Institute is a sightseeing choice on the CityPASS. Entrance with the pass includes all special exhibits plus an audio tour (normally an additional $7)

goodfish's Profile Photo
goodfish
Jan 31, 2012

"The place I call home"
deecat's Profile Photo

deecat

"Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
yooperprof's Profile Photo

yooperprof

"Never A Lovely So Real"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

shrimp56

"Chicago!"
rmdw's Profile Photo

rmdw

"Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"

Art Institute of Chicago

We rushed through the Art Institute so that we'd have time to see the star attraction: "Cezanne to Picasso", an exhibition of a collection of works belonging to French Art Dealer Ambroise Vollard. He was a man who "put Modern Art on the map", by buying the art of people like Cezanne, Picasso, Van Gogh, Gauguin and others, and selling it on for an outrageous profit.

It was a great collection, but I was more interested in the American art on show. I was, after all, in America, in one of its greatest art museums. I'd already seen plenty of Picasso, Cezanne, Van Gogh and Gauguin in Europe. There were two pieces I was really looking forward to, and I wasn't disappointed: American Gothic and Nighthawks at the Diner.

American Gothic is one of the most famous paintings in the world, and possibly its most reproduced. It captures the mood of 19th century rural America. Its iconic couple, a farmer and his daughter, looking incredibly sombre in front of their Gothic house, are two faces familiar to everyone in America, and also to many in the rest of the world.

Nighthawks is similarly iconic, but this time capturing a different moment in America's history. It was painted in the days after Pearl Harbor, and shows the "loneliness of a large city", as Hopper described it. It became iconic for showing the mood of Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, which was very much doom and gloom and downbeat.

antistar's Profile Photo
antistar
Oct 24, 2011

A Jewel Beside Millenium Park

one of the crown jewels of Chicago where is showcases assorted ancient and modern art and has several wings and the Modern Wing Area which was built in 2006 is connected to Millenium Park by the Nichols Bridge Walkay. The Art Insitute of Chicago is locates in the Sprawling Grant Park near the Lake Michigan area. The permanent collection inside the Art Institute of Chicago is so extensive that it'll take you several hours to explore the whole thing if you are an art lover (I'm not that fond of arts unfortunately) and the museum houses assorted Impressionist Arts and galleries with Roman, Greek and Egyptian artifacts as well as a gallery with a fine collection of African Artn plus more.

Museum Hours

machomikemd's Profile Photo
machomikemd
Jun 10, 2011

World-Class Art Collection

The Art Institute of Chicago is a world-reknowned art museum with world-famous arwork! It is most well known for housing Grant Wood's American Gothic, Edward Hopper's Nighthawks, and an impressive collection of Impressionist art from famous artists such as Gauguin, Monet, Manet, Cassatt, Seurat, Van Gogh, and many more! The museum is well worth the visit just to see the Impressionist art, but there is much to see beyond that!

The museum offers modern art, American art, and photography along with many pieces of artwork and historical artifacts from Asia, Africa, the Americas, Europe, and the Middle East. The artwork in these exhibits may not be as iconic as the Impressionist art, but they are well worth taking the time to explore. Give yourself plenty of time in this museum to wander around and see everything!

Entrance is $18 for adults and $12 for students.

Rabbityama's Profile Photo
Rabbityama
Jul 02, 2010

Art Institute of Chicago - Amazing!

Coming to the Art Institute of Chicago from 5pm-8pm on Thursdays will save you the $18 admission fee, but this museum is a repository of some of the most famous works of art in the world, and well worth the fee.

We were able to view most of the galleries which interested us within the 3 hour window, but it would take much longer to view everything. I came specifically to see the Georges Seurat pointillism masterpiece "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - 1884", which is stunning in person and displayed in a way which allows you to move ever closer to the painting to see the dots of color on the canvas, then to pull away to watch the dots blend to make a new color. Brilliant!

I was happily surprised to discover the Institute also houses many other famous paintings, including "American Gothic" by Grant Wood, and "Nighthawks" by Edward Hopper, as well as other famous artists, including Dali, Picasso, Monet, Miro, Cassatt, O'Keefe, and many others. It was a feast for the eyes.

Monday–Wednesday, 10:30–5:00
Thursday, 10:30–8:00 (Free Admission 5:00–8:00)
Friday, 10:30–8:00
Saturday–Sunday, 10:00–5:00

TravellerMel's Profile Photo
TravellerMel
Mar 23, 2010

Things to Do Near Art Institute

Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Symphony Center is the home for more than 200 live concerts a year -- orchestras, recitals, jazz, superstar guest artists, visiting orchestras, and more. I went there for Argentinian tango the other...

Millennium Park

Millennium Park ... love the fountain .. the bean .. the people watching .. never saw so many people doing selfies. some come for formal pics .. great place to hang out just watch people. Never got...

Chicago Architecture Foundation - CAF

Open House October 17-18, 2015 Chicago has joined a number of other international cities in offering an Open House weekend, the 5th Open House weekend was October 17-18, 2015. The Open House is free...

Millennium Park - Cloud Gate

I haven't been doing a lot of traveling lately (as of March, 2013) and although I still have plenty of tips to write about trips over the years I've decided to go through the Chicago categories and...

Reliance Building

Completed in 1895, the 14 story Reliance Building, a prime example of the Chicago School of architecture, was designed by the firm of Burnham & Root. In 1999, the building reopened as a boutique...

Marquette Building

I can't tell you how many times I passed by the Marquette Building before finally stopping in to have a look with a few VTers earlier this year. It's got one of the coolest lobbies of any building in...

Getting to Art Institute