Map &

French Quarter Walking Tour with Burlesque Guide and Optional Drink
From $25.00

Drinking Tips (22)

Drinks to go - New Orleans custom by aussirose

Where else can you walk into a bar and ask for a drink to go in a plastic cup? Well we did discover this also in Caye Caulker Island, Belize...... but that was later in our trip. Check out my Caye Caulker page.

Anyway, this was unique thing to do for us. Imagine walking in a shopping centre and seeing this? .....

Cocktails to go.

Of course Jesse had to do one better and get his own - Milkshake to go ;o)

aussirose's Profile Photo
Dec 26, 2015

Abita Beer

:) :) :) :) :) :)
:) :) :) :) :) :)

June 13th 2015: I learn today (!!!! yes, I missed that since I am on VT !!!!) that short (less than 200 characters) tips do not appear on travel guides; So this error is "repaired", and I am now glad you will enjoy the naughty side of some of my pictures....

kokoryko's Profile Photo
Jun 13, 2015

Drinks To Go

It is legal in New Orleans to drink alcohol on the street. This comes in handy when you're waiting for a table in a restaurant and the bar is very small and crowded. Order a drink and ask for a go-cup -- then take your drink outside and wait in the fresh air.

Sidebar: One of my daughter's friends, accustomed to this New Orleans custom, asked for a go-cup in a Los Angeles bar and was met with an incredulous stare. :)

Rixie's Profile Photo
Sep 13, 2014

Hurricane in a glass

One of the first things I was told when I arrived in New Orleans was the recommendation to be careful with “hurricane” cocktails, because their sweet taste is deceiving, and there is more alcohol in them than one may suspect.
I had one, but no more because it was indeed a bit too sweet for my taste. Anyway I enquired about the recipe, and I found that one glass typically contains 4 oz (118 ml) of rum.
This cocktail was invented in New Orleans in the ‘40s, at Pat O’Brien’s Bar. The name derives from the glasses used to serve it, shaped like hurricane lamps.

Manara's Profile Photo
Sep 26, 2011
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near New Orleans

330 Loyola Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
210 O'Keefe Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
931 Canal Street, 70112
334 O'Keefe Avenue, (formerly Sleep Inn), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
201 Baronne Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
1500 Canal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States

Don't forget to pack some Tylenols!

Those who are familiar with my travel pages have surely noticed that I'm not much of a nightlife person when I travel since I usually like to get up early and be the first in line when museums open. However, spending a week in New Orleans definitely brought out the party animal in me! As strange as it might seem to talk about drinking as a local custom, alcohol simply is everywhere on and off Bourbon Street. When we first got to our hotel, we bumped into a young lady who was getting ready to leave after a week of partying with her girlfriends. They had some bottles left over and instead of getting rid of them, they chose to give them to us - needless to say, our week was off to a good start! We soon discovered that most bars in the French Quarter serve drinks in plastic cups that you can take away and drink on the street, something that is pretty hard to resist on a really hot day. Although I did see a lot of people walking around slightly tipsy (and probably was one of them at some point!), I didn't run into any really drunk people so it would seem that while people come to New Orleans to have a good time, most don't go overboard. But it's still a good idea to drink lots of water and pack some Tylenols just in case!

Jefie's Profile Photo
Aug 07, 2011

To go cups and other drinking facts

It's all true. New Orleans bars have no mandatory closing times so anybody who wants to can pretty much find a place to party 24 hours a day. Not that I recommend it. You can also drink in the streets as long as it's out of a plastic container. All of the bars have a stack of plastic cups by the door or on the bar so if you want to change venues just grab one, pour your drink in and go. Many places serve in plastic to begin with to make get-aways even quicker. It's not always OK to take a drink from one establishment into another - there's usually a sign outside the bar if this is the case. Alcohol can also be purchased on Sundays.

The drinking age is 21 and they will card you if you look anywhere close to underage. The Quarter (especially Bourbon Street) is patrolled and they have a low tolerance for public intoxication beyond reason. Granted, "reasonable" probably has a whole different definition in New Orleans than in other cities but don't expect to relieve yourself in the gutters, pick a fight, pass out in the middle of the street or otherwise make a real nuisance of yourself without intervention. They also have strict OMVI laws so pocket your car keys and take a cab if you've had too much.

While many of the bars don't have cover charges, a one-drink minumum is mandatory. If you wander in just to catch some live music, they will likely ask you to order up. Same applies to use of restroom facilities - they are reserved for customers only so you may be asked to place an order or go elsewhere.

goodfish's Profile Photo
May 09, 2009

Bars open 24 hours a day

Since we are from Los Angeles, we do not have this luxury. Our bars close at 2ish and stop serving alcohol around 1ish. We were also on California time so while in New Orleans, at least the first few days, we were getting up very very early. Rob loves to have a blooody Mary in the morning so off we went to find a restaurant or bar. We were in luck because we found Igors bar just steps away from our place. I dont normaly drink this early in the morning but I said what the heck and asked for a martini. Then we had a hurricane. They dont say whats in it but they are pretty good.
Another thing you can do is walk down the street with a drink in your hand. Once again being form L.A. we cant do that so it was different... but cool.

malianrob's Profile Photo
Feb 23, 2008

Laissey-Faire New Orleans

New Orleans tends to have a very laissez-faire attitude. I saw this sign and thought it was great! I wonder what was inside the shop and if anyone every really called. I guess I should have called, but all the curious possibilities may have been crushed by the reality. I often prefer the multitude of questions that signs like this one represent.

cosmogypsy's Profile Photo
Sep 02, 2007

Top 5 New Orleans Writers

grandmaR's Profile Photo

"Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
doug48's Profile Photo

"new orleans louisiana"

"The Naughty Madame"
VeronicaG's Profile Photo

"New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

"Crescent City Comes Calling"

Drinking on the Street

On Bourbon St, it's quite common for people to sip a drink as the stroll along. That's perfectly legal, as long as they are of legal age and use a plastic cup, NOT a glass one and NOT the original container. This law is strictly enforced.

In fact, certain bars have a bartender right on the sidewalk. You order a drink, and it's served to you right there on the sidewalk. Then you go on about your business. In a regular bar, you can ask for a plastic cup for your drink, then take it outside. These plastic cups are called "go-cups." There are also drive-through daquiri bars.

Where else but New Orleans would you see this?

Tom_Fields's Profile Photo
Dec 17, 2006

24 Hour Bars

Many of New Orleans' bars are open 24 hours. It's not unusual to find yourself semi-conscious at a corner bar while gradually remembering that you have something to take care of or need to do.

It's 9:00 am. Are your shoes on??? (it's important to look for your shoes, because many times they'll just get lost. I'm serious.)

The person in this photo appears to have just nodded off....napping after binge drinking, perhaps?

Aug 08, 2004

Airport Welcome Wagon?

That's my nickname for the little mobile cart that greets you as you step into the New Orleans airport terminal.

Like Vegas with the ubiquitous slot machines, there's simply no escaping the omnipresence of alcohol in New Orleans, nor the shameless promotion of it - from the very moment you disembark up to the last second you board the plane.

You gotta love that!!!

Aug 08, 2004

Lassiez le bom temps roule!!!

Nola is a combination of many attitudes and lifestyles...but for a city that hosts more festivals and events than there are days in the year, the one attitude that prevails is summed up by the phrase lassiez le bom temps roule!!!

So give the booze in the blender another stir, load up that "to-go-cup" and get out on the streets...

Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo
Mar 10, 2004

Things To Do Near New Orleans

Our Lady of Guadalupe

This small chapel was built in 1826, which makes it the oldest chuch still standing in the city. It was built close to St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, just outside of the French Quarter, at the peak of the...

Wax Museum

Visited the Musee Conti Wax Museum which contains wax sculptures that chronicle the history of New Orleans. The attached picture is of Madame LaLaurie torturing her slaves in the attic of the...

French Quarter Walking Tour

On our last visit to New Orleans, we got ourselves out of bed early and headed down to the National Park Service Visitors Center for their free tour of the French Quarter. The walk departs from 419...
Things to Do

We saw the Superdome on the way in from the airport, and of course when we took the New Orleans tour, they mentioned it again. On their website, I thought that it looked like a giant hamburger all lit...

1850 House - Louisiana State Museum

While you're walking around Jackson Square you'll see the 1850 House which is apart of the Louisiana State Museums. "The Upper and Lower Pontalba Buildings, which line the St. Ann and St. Peter...

Pharmacy Museum

Before 1804, the field of pharmacy was unregulated. The only requirement was a six-month apprenticeship, after which time the person could make and sell medicines unhampered by any laws or agencies....

Getting to New Orleans

We don't yet have an address for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Local Customs. Help us improve our info!