Map &

French Quarter Walking Tour with Burlesque Guide and Optional Drink
From $25.00

Pat O'Brien's Tips (40)

Pat O'Brien's: Pat O'Brien's

Pat O'Brien's is perhaps the most famous location in the French Quarter. it has been in existence since 1933 or so, and is famous for its drink called the Hurricanes--made with lots of rum, fruit juices, and garnished with an orange. The hurricane was invented during World War II when whiskey was in short supply and local bars replaced it with vast quantities of rum... create a new rum-based drink, serve in a glass shaped like a hurricane lantern, and voila! The only complaint? The fruit juices in a Pat O'Brien's hurricane are actually a powdered drink mix; other local bars serve hurricanes with real fruit juice.

Everyone gathers at Pat O'Brien's for drinks in the late evening. The courtyard is huge and packed; you might have trouble finding a seat around sunset. The fountain in the middle of the courtyard features a flame coming out of the center of the colorfully lighted water, which is kind of cool. You might also catch the house marching band, though I would complain that they are far too loud if you want to have a comfortable conversation.

I have enjoyed the outdoor patio bar (Paddy O'Bar?) during a number of visits, but in the heat of the summer it was just too hot, so you may want to try the dark, cozy bar to the left of the entrance.

Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
Sep 27, 2011

Pat O'Brien's: Original home of the Hurricane

Pat O'Brien's probably is the most famous pub in all of the French Quarter. Dating back to 1933, it is mostly known for being the birthplace of the Hurricane cocktail, a drink people have come to automatically associate with New Orleans. It's made with rum, fruit juice and Patty O's secret mix, which you can buy at the bar - it's a bit on the sweet side, but it's still pretty refreshing. Every bar in town serves its own version of the Hurricane now, but I thought it would be nice to taste the original one so we took a seat in the pub's huge courtyard, next to the fountain (it's definitely worth going in the evening when fire comes out of the fountain!). When you order one of the pub's specialty drinks (they have lots on the menu besides Hurricanes) you pay a little extra because it comes in a souvenir glass, but if you decide not to keep it you immediately get reimbursed once you're done. The menu looked interesting, with lots of local and American dishes to choose from, but since we weren't very hungry we were happy with the free bags of popcorn they gave us. Even though it's a really big pub with five different sections (there's one entrance on St. Peter Street and another one on Bourbon Street) it can get pretty crowded at night so it's not a bad idea to show up early in the evening, especially if you plan on having dinner there. I thought the crowd was lively but still well behaved, which makes it a good place to go if you're looking for something a bit more mellow than what you usually get on Bourbon Street.

Jefie's Profile Photo
Jun 27, 2011

Pat O'Brien's: historic bar

pat o' briens is one of the most visited bars in the french quarter. during prohibition pat o' briens was a speakeasy. after the repeal of prohibition pat o' briens opened on st. peter street in 1933. pat o' briens is best known for it's rum cocktail "the hurricane" and it's dueling piano show. a fun place to drink in the french quarter.

Dress Code casual

doug48's Profile Photo
May 24, 2009

Pat O'Brien's: home of the Hurricane

Another New Orleans' institution that seems to have escaped becoming an absolute tourist trap and even manages to exude a certain old world charm that beckons you back to a New Orleans of another era. Housed in a classic old NO building with wooden doors that lead to a foyer and then into a courtyard, the ambience is tough to beat. Though the outside seating looked to be most popular, we found the small (well, relative really, small compared to the rest of the complex) off of the foyer as soon as you enter to have the most cozy. The barman was dressed to the nines and treated us like we were too, even if we were both quite casually attired.

Dress Code They do have food but most people come here to drink and even myself, a confirmed beer drinker opted for their world famous Hurricane. It was a nice tall drink and despite being a lot of ice it also contained a fair amount of rum as well. It's a sourish but quaffable drink and I could see getting into a lot of trouble if you drank as much as you might like. Actually, you would think they would be super expensive due to their notoriety but at $7 it was the cheapest drink I had while in the Quarter. Compared to the $8 beers at Crescent City Brewing, they were a bargain!

richiecdisc's Profile Photo
May 04, 2009
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near New Orleans

330 Loyola Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
210 O'Keefe Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
931 Canal Street, 70112
334 O'Keefe Avenue, (formerly Sleep Inn), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
201 Baronne Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
1500 Canal Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States

Pat O'Brien's: Popular Night Spot

As it drizzled, we were anxious to find a dry place in which to take a break, so we gave a friendly nod to the smartly dressed doorman and entered a former carriageway which led to Pat 'OBrien's courtyard.

A little oasis in the city appeared with large trees edging a dining patio and a tropical looking garden on the fringes (pic #2). Fortunately, the courtyard's umbrella tables protected diners from the rain and no one seemed inclined to move to another part of the restaurant. A unique feature of this area was a flaming fountain--and you may have thought the only ones were in Dubai!

Pat O'Brien's has been in business since the early 1930's when it was a speakeasy. After prohibition it developed into a drinking establishment, developing an interesting adult concoction known as The Hurricane. However, we weren't there to imbibe, but to look around. After a short while, the weather repeated the pattern that it followed each day we were there--the rain ended after a brief shower, allowing us be on our way.

Hours are Mon.-Thurs. from 12n to 2am; Fri.-Sun. 10am-2am. Private events are welcome.

VeronicaG's Profile Photo
Dec 08, 2008

Pat O'Brien's: Everyone comes to Pat O's!

At one time or another - EVERYONE comes to Pat O's. There are three bars - the Main Bar, Courtyard Bar, and Piano Bar. My favorite is the Courtyard Bar, with the flaming fountain which is a lovely photo op at night. Snag a table and let the waiter bring you your drink of choice - there is a menu with photos and descriptions on the table. Then just sit and enjoy the ambiance and festive feeling that being in the French Quarter in New Orleans exudes. Pat O's is very popular year round, but insanely so at Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day, and Halloween.

Please note that this is a drinking establishment, and therefore you must be 21 years old to enter the premises. There is a small restaurant on the Bourbon Street side at which families can dine, but will not be allowed into the courtyard.

Dress Code Casual - come as you are. Depending on time of year, you will see everything from tourists in t-shirts and shorts, to tuxedos and evening gowns on those coming from or going to Mardi Gras balls, weddings, theatre, etc.

TravellerMel's Profile Photo
Jul 30, 2008

Pat O'Brien's: Piano Bar

Popular among tourists and locals alike this landmark institution in the French Quarter claims to be the home of the ever so popular libation called a hurricane. With several bars within the bar there is a different ambience for almost anyone. There's an outdoor setting around a lighted fountain, a standard bar and my favorite, the piano bar. Two pianists on stage entertain a crowd of locals and tourists with requested songs as well as piano bar staples. I've yet to make a song request that hasn't been performed. No entrance fee but you'll be seated and a drink order will be taken. Try the hurricane, a fruit punch like concoction packing a punch. There can sometimes be a wait for the piano bar so enjoy a drink across the passageway as you wait.

Highly recommended.

Dress Code No particular dress code as in virtually any establishment on bourbon.

maestrousmc's Profile Photo
Apr 28, 2008

Pat O'Brien's: What a mighty ... cliche

I'm not knocking Pat O'Brien's. It's an institution. And unless you have huge boobs or are best friends with the bartender have fun getting some attention on a weekend night.

We decided to go about 11pm on a Friday night....not a good idea. First of all it was sort of confusing where to go in haha. We walked back into the courtyard and found a dirty table. We waited probably 20 minutes for a waiter...I guess they don't do waiters at that time. However, I swear I saw a few waiting on big groups of people. Now, I don't really liked being starred at and this is the scene where the wolves are out checking out anything that walks so it was kind of uncomfortable for me. Needless to say, my friend felt the same way.

So, instead, we decided to go to the bar, order a quick hurricane (since I hadn't had one before) and be on our way. Well I stood at the bar for a good 10 minutes. Sure enough, I met a nice couple and some men who were teachers (like me and my friend) and had a great conversation. One of the men spoke up and got the bartender's attention. It took 5 minutes to "make" the hurricane although it was more of a cliche mix put into a Pat O'Brien's plastic cup. Regardless of the experience I did get plenty drunk. Hoorah for the positive!

Dress Code Dress as you do for a night on the town...

msbrandysue's Profile Photo
Jan 01, 2008

Top 5 New Orleans Writers

grandmaR's Profile Photo

"Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
doug48's Profile Photo

"new orleans louisiana"
jadedmuse's Profile Photo

"The Naughty Madame"
VeronicaG's Profile Photo

"New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

"Crescent City Comes Calling"
View Member

Pat O'Brien's: You have to go at least once!

Pat O's has several bars you can choose from. I opted this trip to head to the courtyard area. I was surprised that there were available seats. Post Katrina has impacted the number of tourists coming to the city, so you'll find that you usually have no problems getting seats at places you usually had to wait.

The waitresses and waiters were attentive and friendly. I am always amused by the cool fountain with the fire on top. I was glad to see that the Hurricane's were just as strong as I remembered. You can get a souvenir glass if you want for $3 more.

The price of a Hurricane is about $7 (you can get a souvenir glass if you want for $3 more). The price is not bad because the drink is full of alcohol. You totally get your money's worth.

Dress Code You can wear pretty much anything.

ErinInMD's Profile Photo
Apr 14, 2006

Pat O'Brien's: Hurricane force strength drinks

Great bar with a beautiful open air courtyard and fountain in the middle. Restaurant and bar. Loacted in the heart of the french quarter. Lots of room, however very trendy and touristy, and often overcrowded. Fun to go with a group and get drinks. Took home some hurricane mix from here (their signature drink) and used it back in Baltimore when I went throught my first hurricane. Was the perfect drink for the hurricane party at my place!

Dress Code Causal, or dress to impress

Fun4you's Profile Photo
Mar 29, 2006

Pat O'Brien's: Not All It's Cracked Up To Be

My parents and brother and I went to Pat O'Briens because it's my understanding it is a must see. However, I was not impressed at all! There were too many crowds and after waiting for some time we finally were seated at a table in the piano bar area. There was a strange old man who stood and tapped his fingers on a tin plate much to the crowds' pleasure. I found him more annoying and a distraction from the music of the pianos personally. But to be honest with you the piano music left MUCH to be desired and I would probably never care to go back.

Dress Code Does dress code really matter in New Orleans?

cmarsek's Profile Photo
Dec 02, 2005

Pat O's: Pat O'Brien's, Hurricane central

It's been a few years since I've been to the Pat O's shown in the photo, but it's a memorable place to visit and I recommend it to anyone. Pat O's is most famous for its marquis drink the Hurricane, which is a concoction of rum and fruit and fruit juices. Tourists often buy the Hurricane glasses as memoribilia...mine's on display in the dining room!

Dress Code Casual

rwlittle's Profile Photo
Feb 12, 2005

Things To Do Near New Orleans

Our Lady of Guadalupe

This small chapel was built in 1826, which makes it the oldest chuch still standing in the city. It was built close to St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, just outside of the French Quarter, at the peak of the...

Wax Museum

Visited the Musee Conti Wax Museum which contains wax sculptures that chronicle the history of New Orleans. The attached picture is of Madame LaLaurie torturing her slaves in the attic of the...

French Quarter Walking Tour

On our last visit to New Orleans, we got ourselves out of bed early and headed down to the National Park Service Visitors Center for their free tour of the French Quarter. The walk departs from 419...
Things to Do

We saw the Superdome on the way in from the airport, and of course when we took the New Orleans tour, they mentioned it again. On their website, I thought that it looked like a giant hamburger all lit...

1850 House - Louisiana State Museum

While you're walking around Jackson Square you'll see the 1850 House which is apart of the Louisiana State Museums. "The Upper and Lower Pontalba Buildings, which line the St. Ann and St. Peter...

Pharmacy Museum

Before 1804, the field of pharmacy was unregulated. The only requirement was a six-month apprenticeship, after which time the person could make and sell medicines unhampered by any laws or agencies....

Getting to New Orleans

718 St. Peter St.

We don't yet have hours for this Nightlife. Help us improve our info!