Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Scandalous Cocktail Hour Tour
"Join us for an exploration of the city’s storied watering holes such as Pat O’Brien’s the Carousel Bar Jean Lafitte Blacksmith Shop and others to discover where why and how legendary libations from the Sazerac to the Pims Cup were first concocted.Here you will uncover the city’s astonishing scandalous past and present. Learn about the oldest professions from Storyville to the Tango Belt from Norma Wallace’s last brothel to Blaze Starr’s Bourbon Street Burlesque. Next you will take a look into organized crime from Jean Lafitte’s piracy to the first home of the American Mafia. Learn about the New Orleans conspiracy connection to the John ""
From $25.00

French Quarter Walking Tour with Burlesque Guide and Optional Drink
"Irvin Mayfield's Jazz Playhouse is the meeting spot where a festively attired tour guide will greet you. The mood is set and you can relax as the evening unfolds. You'll move from the club to the storied streets of the French Quarter. Blaze Starr Chris Owens and many more titillating women are remembered for their bold style of living out loud. Lessons on tassel twirling and sexy glove pulls are delivered in style and don't you worry - the men are no left out. We're pleased to present the only burlesque centered tour. Upon the tour's conclusion there's intentionally a lot of evening left. This tour wraps early. On a regular basis guests follow the guide to burlesque performances. The groups are kept small and this tour is adult only.""""The history of burlesque presented by a burlesque dancer! This tour is completely unique in every way. You'll meet your expert guide in a world class Jazz venue on Bourbon street. Then you'll take to the French Quarter streets in the early evening. Guest
From $25.00

Aphrodisiac Walking Tour
"The first stop of the tour is at an authentic Voodoo shop where you will learn about the love goddesses. Next you will step into a local establishment and sample a top 10 aphrodisiac (available for purchase) while discussing the history of the aphrodisiac and why they are so desirable. Afterwards you will learn the history of Storyville the now closed down Red Light District of the city of New Orleans while sitting in a beautiful courtyard and sampling more aphrodisiacs fare. You are about to learn that all aphrodisiacs are not just food.Learn how to spice up your cooking and inspire love during a stop in a local shop. Time permitting you will sample daily made pralines from a local praline shop as well. Finally
From $14.00

Acme Oyster House Tips (13)

Acme Oyster House: Somewhat Unsatisfied sums it up

Our first visit was also a 3 day weekend and we ate here everyday .. loved it. The Broiled oysters on the buttery roll was heaven and the seafood gumbo .. ohhh yum. This is a small place .. it's the original and there is always a line of people waiting but it was well worth the wait. This was our first stop for a meal when we came back for our second visit to Nola but was not exceptional this time.
Our first visit was in mid FEb and it was hot out .. this visit in Jan it was cold so waiting out in the line was more uncomfortable. We tried a local beer Abita and it was good and I don't usually like beer. The server was nice but she mixed up a couple thing .. brought the wrong beer and wrong soup. . My gumbo had a shrimp tail in it I didn't notice till a bit down .. then that was just gross. The oysters were tasty as usual but who ever was opening them was sloppy .. we got shell in most every oyster .. which was also unpleasant. the price is fine and the flavors are great but those afore mentioned issues were disappointing. On the way out I started to take a pic of them fire roasting the oysters and they told me I couldn't because the grill was gross. wow .. that pretty much was it for us. If it's gross there .. doesn't make you want to return .. and we didn't.

chattygirl7491's Profile Photo
chattygirl7491
Jan 31, 2016

Acme Oyster House: Forget the Oysters

One of the handful of places that Man vs. Food has visited - while I'm not interested in oysters, the rest of the menu looked pretty promising. The start was a little rocky though. You need to wait outside to be seated, which wouldn't be bad except for the horrible stench in the alley :( Luckily, we were seated fairly quickly. The table areas are a little cramped - the five of us were seated right between the bar and the kitchen area, so expect a little noise. Waitresses are efficient and friendly enough. Lighting is a tad on the dark side.

Favorite Dish The menu hits on most of the local favorites. There are a few starred items, which is where I went to - the New Oreleans medley. This included a sampling of gumbo, jambalaya, red beans & rice and grilled smoked sausage. The Red beans and jambalaya were decent, but the sausage and gumbo were very good. Because it can be hard to limit yourself to one item, a sampler can really give you a lot to try. Going around the table, people were generally pleased with what they ordered, but we left just a tad hungry. On the positive side, the prices are quite reasonable, so there's room both in your stomach and wallet to give something else a try (i.e. Beignets anyone?)

PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
PinkFloydActuary
Jul 04, 2012

Acme Oyster House: A Good Place for Oysters

The Acme Oyster House is a popuar restaurant for tourists in New Orleans' French Quarter. It is fairly small and doesn't take reservations, so you usually have to wait in line outside to get in, which is annoying. However, once inside, the food is good, especially the oysters. The menu features a variety of oyster dishes, as well as fried seafood, seafood sandwiches ("poorboys"), and etouffees. Lisa had the oysters and I had the fried fish and sweet potato fries, which were good. The interior of the restaurant is not fancy, and you may end up sharing a table with other diners. If you want a fancy restaurant, this is not your place. If you want a fun, casual place with decent food, then eat at Acme.

mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
mikelisaanna
Jan 05, 2012

Acme Oyster House: 100 yrs. in New Orleans

The lines out the door and down the block were a sign that this would be good. People were friendly and staff were helpful. The oyster bar was hopping, oysters were shuckin'; these were just the freshest, juiciest & hugest oysters I've ever eaten.

We stopped at the Acme Oyster Restaurant several times for dinner and again in the airport on our way home. Our oyster po boys were dressed & beautifully packed with Remoulade Sauce on the side.

Favorite Dish Oysters, oysters & more oysters!
Loved the oyster po boys, oyster chowder Rockefeller, craw puppies, raw oysters, jambalaya ...

apbeaches's Profile Photo
apbeaches
Apr 03, 2010

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Acme Oyster House

Hotels
214 Rue Royale, French Quarter, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130-2201, United States
124 Royal St., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States
730 Rue Bienville, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States
739 Canal Street at Bourbon, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States
300 Bourbon Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States
129 Rue Chartres, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

Acme: Small Oysters

My husband and I have eaten raw oysters here before and they were good. To us, raw oysters are the ultimate food from the sea. This time the oysters were so small, barely larger than a nickel, we really feel like we did not get our money's worth this time.

Favorite Dish Oysters.

kcooper11
Sep 08, 2009

acme oyster house: historic restaurant

the acme oyster house was established in 1910 and is one of the oldest restaurants in the french quarter. of course acme is famous for it's oysters and they also have very good cajun dishes that are moderately priced. the acme oyster house is a good dining value in the french quarter.

doug48's Profile Photo
doug48
May 31, 2009

Acme Oyster House: Not Just Oysters

Acme Oyster House is a New Orleans institution. Though it can be quite touristy, with all the classic "must eat" New Orleans dishes, it's a one stop shop for any visitor. If you choose to only eat from the raw bar, you can bypass the line and stand at the bar while the shuckers prepare your food. It's conveniently located on Bourbon Street - closer to Canal Street.

maestrousmc's Profile Photo
maestrousmc
Mar 26, 2008

Acme Oyster House: Try someplace else

Yes, it may have decent food but there are so many other places to eat, why eat here? The hostess was rude, and didn't smile, and the waiter was a newbie who made a few newbie mistakes. The atmosphere isn't much different from your average sports bar. I wanted the seafood boil but they said that it was out of season and they didn't have any. What? I've been to two other restaurants, both of whom had seafood to boil. Sigh. I ordered the raw oysters. They were served with cocktail sauce but no horseradish. My friends who ate there, and some strangers who sat at the same long table, liked their food but weren't going to write lavish reviews about it. Overall, it was a decent place to eat ... but why eat someplace decent when there are so many other places to eat with better food, better atmosphere, better staff, and a wider variety of non-fat (healthy) selections?

Favorite Dish The best comments I overhead were about the cooked oysters.

Alegria3k
Sep 28, 2007

Top 5 New Orleans Writers

grandmaR's Profile Photo

grandmaR

"Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
doug48's Profile Photo

doug48

"new orleans louisiana"
jadedmuse's Profile Photo

jadedmuse

"The Naughty Madame"
VeronicaG's Profile Photo

VeronicaG

"New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

ATXtraveler

"Crescent City Comes Calling"

Acme Oyster House: THE BEST FOOD IN NEW ORLEANS

This restaurant was so good that we had to go back one more time before we left town! Both times that we visited, we tried different things so we could try more things on their menu. I did not try one thing that I did not enjoy! Yumm, Yumm and Yumm!!!!

Favorite Dish Everything was so good, I cannot decide which was the best!

cosmogypsy's Profile Photo
cosmogypsy
Sep 02, 2007

Acme Oyster House: Fast and good...

If your in the Quarter and like oysters or Po Boys, this is a good choice. The line can get a little long around dinner time and that's enough to discourage me unless I'm starving.

Favorite Dish Shrimp po boys and bring me a cold beer and some hot sauce.

hackenbush's Profile Photo
hackenbush
Jun 18, 2007

Acme Oyster House: A French Quarter Standard

Acme Oyster House is a usual stop when we visit New Orleans. In truth, we usually try to make it the first stop. This time we had to settle for lunch the day after our arrival. They had just opened for the day and did not have crawfish for the day’s business yet, which was a disappointment. We ordered a dozen raw oysters, and they were tasty, but not typical for Acme. They did not have the same juicy, salty Acme taste we are used to.

Since they didn’t have the crawfish, I ordered crawfish etouffee, which was plenty good, but not terribly remarkable.

My husband ordered half of a roast beef po-boy and seafood gumbo. He always enjoys his meals at Acme the most, I think. The nostalgia is comforting. This restaurant was his pick for favorite.

My non-seafood eater ordered chicken and andouille soup. She really enjoyed her meal, and said it was very good.

The other daughter ordered half of a catfish po-boy with chicken and andouille soup. Similar to my order, she said it was good, but not remarkable.

Favorite Dish Usually the raw oysters are my favorite. Salty and wonderful like no others! I hope this last visit was a fluke.

Also really enjoy the spicy crawfish served by the pound.

cromette's Profile Photo
cromette
Mar 13, 2007

Acme Oyster House: The Real Deal

As much as I love upscale restaurants like Antoine's, I cannot afford to eat there every night. The Acme Oyster House was recommended to me by locals, who know where the really good places are. The food is excellent, and so is the service. And it's moderately priced. This is where regular working-class locals go to eat. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and dress is casual.

Favorite Dish All the dishes are good. Many are fried, but still good.

Tom_Fields's Profile Photo
Tom_Fields
Dec 17, 2006

Things to Do Near Acme Oyster House

French Quarter Walking Tour

On our last visit to New Orleans, we got ourselves out of bed early and headed down to the National Park Service Visitors Center for their free tour of the French Quarter. The walk departs from 419...

Wax Museum

Visited the Musee Conti Wax Museum which contains wax sculptures that chronicle the history of New Orleans. The attached picture is of Madame LaLaurie torturing her slaves in the attic of the...

Jean Lafitte National Park

The single most decisive America victory of the War of 1812 happened here but unfortunately due to slow communications it happened a few weeks after the peace treaty had been signed. It was hear that...

Pharmacy Museum

Before 1804, the field of pharmacy was unregulated. The only requirement was a six-month apprenticeship, after which time the person could make and sell medicines unhampered by any laws or agencies....

1850 House - Louisiana State Museum

While you're walking around Jackson Square you'll see the 1850 House which is apart of the Louisiana State Museums. "The Upper and Lower Pontalba Buildings, which line the St. Ann and St. Peter...

Cookery Classes

We decided to sign up for a cooking demonstration at the New Orleans School of Cooking based on all the great reviews this activity usually gets, and trust me, the reviews had it right! Not only did...

Getting to Acme Oyster House