Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

New Orleans Cemetery and Supernatural Tour
"Starting at the meeting point in the French Quarter in late morning or early afternoon the tour will visit famous historic sites of the city. Your local tour guide will talk about the history of the Cabildo Presbyter St. Louis Cathedral and the red-bricked Pontalba Buildings. After you will go to the homes of Tennessee Williams and William Faulkner places that inspired A Street Car Named Desire and The Sound and the Fury.  From there
From $25.00

Private French Quarter Walking Tour
"With a history going back through centuries of Spanish French and English rule New Orleans is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States. Rich food vibrant music and eccentric local customs create a unique mosaic of people and tradition that sets it apart from anywhere else in North America. Nowhere is this more evident than in the city's best known neighborhood - the French Quarter. Although often seen as the wi this 3 hour
From $250.00

Private French Quarter Walking and City Surrounding Neighborhoods Driving Tour
"New Orleans has one of the richest and most diverse histories of any city in the United States. Generations of immigrants and settlers from all parts of the world have built a culture that incorporates aspects of Spanish French English American African and Caribbean culture to form something wholly unique and special. This combo tour take combines the best known parts of the city with some of the lesser visited neighborhoods to provide you a more complete overview of the city as you develop you private tour you will have plenty of opportunities to ask questions and interact with your guide as you explore 1 1/2 miles of the famous French Quarter on foot. You'll see many of the best known landmarks
From $495.00

Gumbo Shop Tips (11)

GUMBO SHOP: IT IS ALL ABOUT THE GUMBO

I read that the Gumbo Shop is the place to come for gumbo in NOLA. I think a lot of other people read the same thing because of the lines on the weekend. I came here during the week and walked in. The gumbo was good, but I had just had a cup of gumbo at Couchon and .... well, while good, it isn't the best.

Favorite Dish The gumbo and the other dishes are solid here.

mtncorg's Profile Photo
mtncorg
Jun 02, 2015

Gumbo Shop - Traditional New Orleans: Great New Orleans Fare - The Gumbo Shop

This restaurant was recommended to us several years ago by a New Orleans native and so we were determined to visit the Gumbo Shop this time around. We arrived around 6pm and were almost immediately seated inside. A very nice cosy atmosphere added to our anticipation of a great meal. Service was excellent and our waiter, Charles, had a very gentlemanly and friendly matter.

This restaurant had a nice view of St. Peter Street and the passing crowd. Next time we visit we'd like to try one of the nice tables in the inner courtyard more toward the back of the restaurant which is open to the sun or stars and which looked really delightful.

Favorite Dish We all tried the Gumbo Shop version of gumbo, a real New Orleans treat (chicken andouille gumbo ~ $6.99). The blackened (or grilled) chicken with garlic mashed potatoes was fabulous ($11.99). Blackened fish which was very spicy & delicious was $13.99. My daughter had the red beans and rice with smoked sausage, another New Orleans tradition, which might have been a little too spicy for her but a large plate full was very filling ($7.99). Freshly baked, warm rolls were an extra delicious accompaniment to our meal too. We were all so full that we had no room for dessert! If we had not wanted to try as many restaurants as possible while we were in New Orleans, we difinitely would have returned for another great meal at the Gumbo Shop!!

starship's Profile Photo
starship
Mar 19, 2015

Gumbo Shop: Delicious!

We struggled mightily on where to go our final night, and finally went to the Concierge to assist us. She suggested the Gumbo Shop, and after much deliberation, our 9-person group headed over there. It looked like we might get off to a rough start when we told the hostess 9 - but they scrambled and set up a table to accommodate us. There are two main seating areas - an indoor and outdoor section. We ended up indoors, but the place still had a very open air feel to it. The waitress we had was attentive, and did everything right.

Right off the bat, I was happy they served something other than Abita (which is good, but is EVERYWHERE in NO.) The Gumbo Shop also had a selection from NOLA Brewing. The menu has a good selection of local favorites, but my eyes quickly darted to the Complete Creole Dinner. For $25, you get a soup/salad, main dish, side, and dessert. Lot's of good choices, but I went with the Seafood Gumbo, Crawfish Etouffee, Creamed spinach, and Chocolate Browine Pie. The only thing I would do differently is try a different side - the rest was heavenly. Lots of great food, good price, and a really good location. Highly recommended.

PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
PinkFloydActuary
Jul 07, 2012

Gumbo Shop: awesome place

Great place to get gumbo and other authentic local cuisine. Definitely a must if in the French Quarter. Small restaurant with great service and reasonable prices. The Boudin sausage appetizer w/ Creole mustard was a surprise and a must if you visit the Gumbo Shop.

Favorite Dish Chicken sausage gumbo and an Abita Amber.

laurenzi1's Profile Photo
laurenzi1
Apr 29, 2011

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Gumbo Shop

Hotels
717 Orleans Street, (Formerly "Wyndham"), New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States
625 St Ann Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, United States
621 St. Louis Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70140, United States
828 Toulouse St., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
827 Toulouse Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70112, United States
508 Rue Chartres, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130, United States

Gumbo Shop: Too Salty!

Comfortable restaurant with a green garden in the center. Tourists at surrounding tables were friendly; wait staff was attentive. Portions were large.

Favorite Dish We shared a cup of seafood gumbo to start; it was fabulous. My husbands craw-fish pasta entree was awesome; creamy fattening and wonderful. My combo platter was soooo salty; I just felt my fingers and feet swell. The jambalaya, red beans and shrimp creole that was too salty to eat. We shared a praline sundae that was just awesome for desert.

apbeaches's Profile Photo
apbeaches
Apr 03, 2010

Gumbo Shop: Wide variety, good food

This is a real cute restaurant with a few rooms for dining, seating more people than it looks like from outside. They have a wide variety of New Orleanean food, the prices are reasonable, service excellent, you’re in and out as quick as you want. I wanted to try the desserts, but was too full from my chicken & andouille sausage gumbo. The gumbo was good. Total bill for gumbo and a soda was about $13.

Favorite Dish gumbo

Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo
Tom_In_Madison
Jun 27, 2008

The Gumbo Shop: ok, depending on what you order

A good friend of mine who also grew up here met us there for our first dinner back home since I came back from Iraq. I was glad we were seated rapidly as we were really hungry (long flight from Anchorage) He swears by the place and eats there religiously. Well, my wife wanted to try the crawfish etouffee, usually one of my favorites. Everything else we had was pretty good, not the best ever, but not bad, except the etouffee. We all tried it just to make sure it wasn't my wife being picky. It was definitely rotten. We could only guess that the crawfish had spoiled and been previously frozen. Needless to say we never eat there now, though our friend still loves the place (I think he likes one of the cute waitresses). If you have to choose a place for Gumbo take the longer walk down to Deanies over on corner of Iberville and Dauphine, you will enjoy the food and portions more. If you have to try it don't order the etouffee.

Favorite Dish Gumbo is good if you are not used to your own homemade. Red beans and rice good and portion is good size. Beer is a little more expensive there than other places nearby.

leo.weeks's Profile Photo
leo.weeks
Apr 11, 2008

Gumbo Shop: Great Creole Food in the French Quarter

This is another restaurant to which I take my out-of-town guests when they come to visit. The location is great - just up the street from Pat O'Brien's and Bourbon Street. Be sure NOT to confuse it with the Gumbo Pot restaurant, also on this street.

The Gumbo Shop has wonderful ambiance no matter if you are seated in the main dining room, the courtyard, or the overflow seating just past the courtyard - this place is NEW ORLEANS. The prices are very reasonable, the dining is casual, and the portions are quite nice - enough to fill you up for sure!

The staff are always friendly. There is occasionally a line to get in that extends the entire carriageway - just walk to the front, give your name to the hostess, then stand at the back of the line. It will move fast and be worth the wait.

Favorite Dish So many...

I love the Chicken Espagnole, Alligator Sauce Piquant, Crawfish & Pasta in Tasso Cream, and the Crawfish Etouffee. I also enjoy the Combination Plate which gives you servings of jambalaya, shrimp Creole, and red beans & rice - very classic Creole fare.

I am not personally a fan of gumbo, but this restaurant is consistently voted "Best Place to get Gumbo" by the locals, so you might want to give that a try as well.

TravellerMel's Profile Photo
TravellerMel
Jan 14, 2008

Top 5 New Orleans Writers

grandmaR's Profile Photo

grandmaR

"Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
doug48's Profile Photo

doug48

"new orleans louisiana"
jadedmuse's Profile Photo

jadedmuse

"The Naughty Madame"
VeronicaG's Profile Photo

VeronicaG

"New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

ATXtraveler

"Crescent City Comes Calling"
View Member

Gumbo Shop: Do not eat here!

I just got back from visiting New Orleans--a city known for its food--and I can honestly say that the entire experience I had at the Gumbo Shope was horrible, from the service to the food itself. The Gumbo Shop definitely caters to tourists, but as a tourist myself I thought I would try it. The prices may be reasonable compared to other restaurants, but the food you receive for it is horrible. I got the Combination platter, which included portions of the jambalaya, the crawfish etoffee, and the gumbo with shrimp. The entire plate looked liked it came out of a can. The jambalaya was nothing more than a pile of rice, and it was terribly dry. The etoffee and the gumbo both looked like some kind of mush that came out of a can that you would expect to find in some school or military cafeteria. No culinary effort at all went into the preparation of our food. As for the service--I can say that it was barely on par with the low quality of service you would expect to find at a local Waffle House at 1am in the morning. The waitress never smiled once, did not inform us of the special that had been written on the board in the waiting area, failed to give us plates even after bringing to our table an appetizer and bread, and was just all-around an unpleasant person.

In a city known for its Creole and Cajun style cuisines, it would pay to stay away from the Gumbo Shop and maybe spend a few bucks more to actually get a decent dinner that does not look and taste like it was microwaved out of a can.

Favorite Dish I tried an etoffee, a gumbo, and a jambalaya dish on my platter. None of them were good! They tasted like a microwaved Stoffer's dinner!

innovator82
Jul 06, 2007

Gumbo Shop: Stellaaaa! - Gimme my Gumbo!

Located half a block from Jackson Square, this casual restaurant is a great place to get ALL your creole fixin's. Service staff are friendly and even expressed thanks to us in supporting the city as it continues to rebuild itself.

The building structure was built in the 1795 and in the main dining area there's a huge wall mural depicting historical New Orleans.

Little known fact: Tennessee Williams finished writing his play "A Streetcar Named Desire" while living in an apartment next door. Stellaaaaaaa ...

Favorite Dish Chicken Andouille Gumbo - voted by locals as the best gumbo in the city - so when in Nawlins' do as the locals do.

virtualpatrick's Profile Photo
virtualpatrick
Feb 08, 2007

Gumbo Shop: Authentic Cajun

So after my first two Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens, we decided to go to the Gumbo Shoppe for some much needed food. Tony's niece and nephewss went to college here so they gave us some good tips on where to eat. This was wonderful.

It is a small, quaint restaurant in the French Quarter. If you have ever had authentic cajun food like I have, this will be quite a treat for you. The service is wonderful and the atmosphere is very casual.

Bring your appetite, the portions are very generous.

changeinlatitude's Profile Photo
changeinlatitude
Mar 21, 2006

Things to Do Near Gumbo Shop

Le Petit Theatre

**UPDATE 4/28/13 - When I last visited New Orleans, I was saddened to see that Le Petit has shuttered her doors... :-( The original corner building was designed in 1789 by Gilberto Guillemard and...

Jackson Square

Any direction you look, you will get a picturesque view. The statue is worth taking a picture or two (or five) of. Say hello to the carriage pulling donkeys. Stop and admire the street performers....

St. Louis Cathedral

This was our second visit to New Orleans and we hung outside the church on Sunday morning till after service so we could get a quick look inside. We were only inside for about 10 minutes. There was a...

St. Louis Cemetery No. 1

The oldest cemetery in New Orleans, St. Louis Cemetery #1 was founded in 1789. It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Most of the burial sites are elaborate above ground vaults and...

Preservation Hall

One thing you will instantly be aware of when you visit New Orleans, is that it is a city which thrives on music--JAZZ and ZYDECO among the most popular!! Music is in the air in every part of the...

Bourbon Street

It seems like on Bourbon Street and also the French Quarter they have their own little money making scams going. Just be cautious. Don't walk around alone, use your common sense and you'll have a lot...

Getting to Gumbo Shop