Gumbo Shop, New Orleans

4 out of 5 stars 11 Reviews

630 St Peter St, New Orleans, LA 70116 +1 504-525-1486
  • Red Beans and rice as well crawfish etoufee
    Red Beans and rice as well crawfish...
    by mtncorg
    Brownie Pie
    by PinkFloydActuary
    Crawfish Etouffee
    by PinkFloydActuary

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

GUMBO SHOP: IT IS ALL ABOUT THE GUMBO

by mtncorg Written Jun 2, 2015

I read that the Gumbo Shop is the place to come for gumbo in NOLA. I think a lot of other people read the same thing because of the lines on the weekend. I came here during the week and walked in. The gumbo was good, but I had just had a cup of gumbo at Couchon and .... well, while good, it isn't the best.

Favorite Dish: The gumbo and the other dishes are solid here.

Address: 630 St Peter St, New Orleans, LA 70116

Phone: +1 504-525-1486

Website: http://www.gumboshop.com

Red Beans and rice as well crawfish etoufee
    • Luxury Travel

• starship's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop - Traditional New Orleans: Great New Orleans Fare - The Gumbo Shop

by starship Updated Mar 19, 2015

This restaurant was recommended to us several years ago by a New Orleans native and so we were determined to visit the Gumbo Shop this time around. We arrived around 6pm and were almost immediately seated inside. A very nice cosy atmosphere added to our anticipation of a great meal. Service was excellent and our waiter, Charles, had a very gentlemanly and friendly matter.

This restaurant had a nice view of St. Peter Street and the passing crowd. Next time we visit we'd like to try one of the nice tables in the inner courtyard more toward the back of the restaurant which is open to the sun or stars and which looked really delightful.

Favorite Dish: We all tried the Gumbo Shop version of gumbo, a real New Orleans treat (chicken andouille gumbo ~ $6.99). The blackened (or grilled) chicken with garlic mashed potatoes was fabulous ($11.99). Blackened fish which was very spicy & delicious was $13.99. My daughter had the red beans and rice with smoked sausage, another New Orleans tradition, which might have been a little too spicy for her but a large plate full was very filling ($7.99). Freshly baked, warm rolls were an extra delicious accompaniment to our meal too. We were all so full that we had no room for dessert! If we had not wanted to try as many restaurants as possible while we were in New Orleans, we difinitely would have returned for another great meal at the Gumbo Shop!!

Address: 630 Saint (Peter) Pierre Street

Directions: In the French Quarter close to Jackson Square, and a few blocks from Bourbon Street.

Website: http://www.gumboshop.com

Gumbo Shop Charles, our waiter at the Gumbo Shop View of Cathedral from the Gumbo Shop

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: Delicious!

by PinkFloydActuary Written Jul 7, 2012

We struggled mightily on where to go our final night, and finally went to the Concierge to assist us. She suggested the Gumbo Shop, and after much deliberation, our 9-person group headed over there. It looked like we might get off to a rough start when we told the hostess 9 - but they scrambled and set up a table to accommodate us. There are two main seating areas - an indoor and outdoor section. We ended up indoors, but the place still had a very open air feel to it. The waitress we had was attentive, and did everything right.

Right off the bat, I was happy they served something other than Abita (which is good, but is EVERYWHERE in NO.) The Gumbo Shop also had a selection from NOLA Brewing. The menu has a good selection of local favorites, but my eyes quickly darted to the Complete Creole Dinner. For $25, you get a soup/salad, main dish, side, and dessert. Lot's of good choices, but I went with the Seafood Gumbo, Crawfish Etouffee, Creamed spinach, and Chocolate Browine Pie. The only thing I would do differently is try a different side - the rest was heavenly. Lots of great food, good price, and a really good location. Highly recommended.

Crawfish Etouffee Brownie Pie

• laurenzi1's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: awesome place

by laurenzi1 Written Apr 29, 2011

Great place to get gumbo and other authentic local cuisine. Definitely a must if in the French Quarter. Small restaurant with great service and reasonable prices. The Boudin sausage appetizer w/ Creole mustard was a surprise and a must if you visit the Gumbo Shop.

Favorite Dish: Chicken sausage gumbo and an Abita Amber.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: Too Salty!

by apbeaches Written Apr 3, 2010

Comfortable restaurant with a green garden in the center. Tourists at surrounding tables were friendly; wait staff was attentive. Portions were large.

Favorite Dish: We shared a cup of seafood gumbo to start; it was fabulous. My husbands craw-fish pasta entree was awesome; creamy fattening and wonderful. My combo platter was soooo salty; I just felt my fingers and feet swell. The jambalaya, red beans and shrimp creole that was too salty to eat. We shared a praline sundae that was just awesome for desert.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: Wide variety, good food

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 27, 2008

This is a real cute restaurant with a few rooms for dining, seating more people than it looks like from outside. They have a wide variety of New Orleanean food, the prices are reasonable, service excellent, you’re in and out as quick as you want. I wanted to try the desserts, but was too full from my chicken & andouille sausage gumbo. The gumbo was good. Total bill for gumbo and a soda was about $13.

Favorite Dish: gumbo

Address: 630 St. Peter Street

Directions: Betwen Bourbon St and Jackson Square

Website: http://www.gumboshop.com

gumbo and a mini-loaf of French bread

• leo.weeks's Profile Photo

The Gumbo Shop: ok, depending on what you order

by leo.weeks Updated Apr 11, 2008

A good friend of mine who also grew up here met us there for our first dinner back home since I came back from Iraq. I was glad we were seated rapidly as we were really hungry (long flight from Anchorage) He swears by the place and eats there religiously. Well, my wife wanted to try the crawfish etouffee, usually one of my favorites. Everything else we had was pretty good, not the best ever, but not bad, except the etouffee. We all tried it just to make sure it wasn't my wife being picky. It was definitely rotten. We could only guess that the crawfish had spoiled and been previously frozen. Needless to say we never eat there now, though our friend still loves the place (I think he likes one of the cute waitresses). If you have to choose a place for Gumbo take the longer walk down to Deanies over on corner of Iberville and Dauphine, you will enjoy the food and portions more. If you have to try it don't order the etouffee.

Favorite Dish: Gumbo is good if you are not used to your own homemade. Red beans and rice good and portion is good size. Beer is a little more expensive there than other places nearby.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: Great Creole Food in the French Quarter

by TravellerMel Written Jan 14, 2008

This is another restaurant to which I take my out-of-town guests when they come to visit. The location is great - just up the street from Pat O'Brien's and Bourbon Street. Be sure NOT to confuse it with the Gumbo Pot restaurant, also on this street.

The Gumbo Shop has wonderful ambiance no matter if you are seated in the main dining room, the courtyard, or the overflow seating just past the courtyard - this place is NEW ORLEANS. The prices are very reasonable, the dining is casual, and the portions are quite nice - enough to fill you up for sure!

The staff are always friendly. There is occasionally a line to get in that extends the entire carriageway - just walk to the front, give your name to the hostess, then stand at the back of the line. It will move fast and be worth the wait.

Favorite Dish: So many...

I love the Chicken Espagnole, Alligator Sauce Piquant, Crawfish & Pasta in Tasso Cream, and the Crawfish Etouffee. I also enjoy the Combination Plate which gives you servings of jambalaya, shrimp Creole, and red beans & rice - very classic Creole fare.

I am not personally a fan of gumbo, but this restaurant is consistently voted "Best Place to get Gumbo" by the locals, so you might want to give that a try as well.

Address: 630 Saint Peter Street

Directions: In the French Quarter, one half block from Jackson Square at 630 Saint Peter St

Look for the Shingle!

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Gumbo Shop: Do not eat here!

by innovator82 Written Jul 6, 2007

I just got back from visiting New Orleans--a city known for its food--and I can honestly say that the entire experience I had at the Gumbo Shope was horrible, from the service to the food itself. The Gumbo Shop definitely caters to tourists, but as a tourist myself I thought I would try it. The prices may be reasonable compared to other restaurants, but the food you receive for it is horrible. I got the Combination platter, which included portions of the jambalaya, the crawfish etoffee, and the gumbo with shrimp. The entire plate looked liked it came out of a can. The jambalaya was nothing more than a pile of rice, and it was terribly dry. The etoffee and the gumbo both looked like some kind of mush that came out of a can that you would expect to find in some school or military cafeteria. No culinary effort at all went into the preparation of our food. As for the service--I can say that it was barely on par with the low quality of service you would expect to find at a local Waffle House at 1am in the morning. The waitress never smiled once, did not inform us of the special that had been written on the board in the waiting area, failed to give us plates even after bringing to our table an appetizer and bread, and was just all-around an unpleasant person.

In a city known for its Creole and Cajun style cuisines, it would pay to stay away from the Gumbo Shop and maybe spend a few bucks more to actually get a decent dinner that does not look and taste like it was microwaved out of a can.

Favorite Dish: I tried an etoffee, a gumbo, and a jambalaya dish on my platter. None of them were good! They tasted like a microwaved Stoffer's dinner!

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: Stellaaaa! - Gimme my Gumbo!

by virtualpatrick Written Feb 8, 2007

Located half a block from Jackson Square, this casual restaurant is a great place to get ALL your creole fixin's. Service staff are friendly and even expressed thanks to us in supporting the city as it continues to rebuild itself.

The building structure was built in the 1795 and in the main dining area there's a huge wall mural depicting historical New Orleans.

Little known fact: Tennessee Williams finished writing his play "A Streetcar Named Desire" while living in an apartment next door. Stellaaaaaaa ...

Favorite Dish: Chicken Andouille Gumbo - voted by locals as the best gumbo in the city - so when in Nawlins' do as the locals do.

Address: 630 Saint Pierre (Peter) Street

• changeinlatitude's Profile Photo

Gumbo Shop: Authentic Cajun

by changeinlatitude Updated Mar 21, 2006

So after my first two Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens, we decided to go to the Gumbo Shoppe for some much needed food. Tony's niece and nephewss went to college here so they gave us some good tips on where to eat. This was wonderful.

It is a small, quaint restaurant in the French Quarter. If you have ever had authentic cajun food like I have, this will be quite a treat for you. The service is wonderful and the atmosphere is very casual.

Bring your appetite, the portions are very generous.

Instant Answers: New Orleans