Washington Artillery Park, formerly Founders Park is right off of Decatur St. There is a small ampitheater for street performers. While we were there, there was a street performance by a youth religious organization. After them they were replaced by a soloist on guitar. Behind the ampitheater are steps that lead up to the Moonwalk and a cannon. The Civil War cannon is a model of the same canon used in the Civil War and pays tribute to the 141st Field Artillery of the Louisiana National Guard.
If anything it's a great unobstructed view of the St Louis Cathedral and Jackson Square.
This small park was formerly Founders Park and was named for one of the oldest military units in the national. Lying between Jackson Square and the Leeve there are gardens, fountains, a playground and a good view of the French Quarter. The mounted canon is a model of the same canon used in the Civil War.
The Washington Artillery Battalion is one of the older militia units dating back to 1838 when it was formed from private funds. The battalion was formed to support the Washington Regiment which was the militia organization representing the American sector of New Orleans. They served a short three month stint during the Mexican War under Zachary Taylor in the first action faced by the gunners. In the years leading up to the Civil War, the Washington Artillery was a very popular organization with membership restricted to the upper class of New Orleans. A snarling tiger was adopted for the battalion flag in 1857 and that mascot would be adopted later by Louisiana State University for their athletic teams. The tiger was also a mascot of another Louisianan volunteer rifle company known as the “Louisiana Tigers”.
The battalion joined the Confederate army in May of 1861 with four of the five companies becoming a part of the Army of Northern Virginia and the other company fighting as part of the Army of Tennessee.
The battalion reorganized after the end of the Civil War, though not officially until 1870, becoming the Louisiana Volunteer Field Artillery. They served in the occupation of Cuba and along the Mexican Border in 1916 during Pershing’s operations against Pancho Villa in northern Mexico. In 1917, the battalion was designated the 141st Field Artillery Battalion and has continued to serve as a part of the Louisiana National Guard through both World Wars and up to today. Their headquarters is at Jackson Barracks in the Lower Ninth Ward.
The park is located between the river levee and Jackson Square. Being slightly elevated, you have a wonderful view out over the square and at the cathedral and tourists flock here to take their obligatory photos.
The park isn't much except a few placards but it does provide you with an excellent elevated view of Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral as well as the waterfront.