Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Boston Scavenger Hunt Adventure
"The adventure begins in Boston Common and will take you on a journey among historic landmarks and along key sections of the Freedom Trail. Experience the history of old cemeteries and famous meeting halls with the sights and smells of the Italian North E' you choose your own pace. You can start when you want and take breaks to discover the city; perhaps stop for lunch along the Freedom Trail or grab an Italian pastry in the North End.The tour requires approximately 2 miles of walking with several stops along the route to complete challenges and decipher clues. The game software tracks team points and posts the final score to a city leaderboard!Please note: Pricing is per individual but your team must book together. One vouche"""Turn Boston into a giant game board with this fun scavenger hunt adventure! This challenge combines the excitement of the Amazing Race with a 3-hour city walking tour. Using your smart phone to guide you make your way through Boston among well-known and overlooked gems of the city solving clues and completing challenges while learning local history. Great for families
From $15.00

Boston Freedom Trail to Copley Square Walking Tour
"Pick the perfect day to explore the streets of Boston. At 10am meet your professional guide outside of 28 State Street located across from the Old State House. Follow your guide and begin your 2-hour walking tour of Boston.Start your tour on the Freedom Trail visiting Faneuil Hall the Old and New State Houses and the Boston Massacre Site. See both the Old and New City Halls along with Old Corner Bookstore and King's Chapel. Stroll through downtown on your way to Boston Common and the Public Garden. Admire the stunning swan boats as they sail under the world's smallest suspension bridge. Continue on to the John Hanco
From $25.00

Downtown Freedom Trail Walking Tour in Boston
"Choose when to explore Boston at either 10am or 6pm. Arrive at 28 State Street across from the Old State House. Meet your professional guide and then begin your 70-minute walking tour of the Freedom Trail. Start your tour at the Old State House and then compare it with the New State House. See Faneuil Hall a marketplace and meeting hall since 1743. Walk through the city to the Boston Massacre Site and learn the history behind the memorial. Admire the architecture of Park Street Church and King's Chapel. Then make your way to the Old South Meeting House. Walk through the Old Granary Cemetery and visit Old City Hall. Pass the First Schoolhouse Site and The Old Corner Bookstore which was a meeting place for famous authors including Ralph Waldo Emerson and Charles Dickens. Stroll through the beautiful Boston Common to end your Freedom Trail walking tour. Explore the quirky streets and charming atmosphere of Boston on this 70-minute walking tour."
From $15.00

Driving Tips (38)

Don't Drive in Boston!

This was the 2nd time I went to Boston from NYC. The first time, I did everything on public transportation from the NY Port Authority and once we got to Boston we did everything mostly on foot.

This time, we drove, and I will NEVER do that again. Coming from NYC I didn't think it would be a big deal at all, but it's amazing how different the city seems to operate. NY may have traffic and grid lock, but we literally are more like a "grid" whereas Boston streets come out of nowhere, just like the cars. And the lights don't make sense at all. It will look like you're supposed to go, but for some reason everyone else is going too, AT YOU! The drivers are nasty and relentless, cutting people off like I've never seen in NYC, and the streets are just strange.

On foot, people didn't hesitate to talk to you, give friendly directions, or suggest spots to visit. I just found it to be a MUCH better experience on foot.

ALSO, we got caught in a monsoon and needed a cab and fell over from shock when we heard the rate.....NYC may have a reputation for being expensive, but Boston rapes you on cab fare........Whatever you can do to avoid hailing a cab unless you have money to blow, don't take a cab! Take the "T" line or let your feet do the walking.

nycgrl81
Aug 02, 2007

Driving in Massachusetts

The Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) doesn't just register motor vehicles. It does driving tests (road tests, as they call them in MA) and everything else to do with motoring.

To British motorists it's like the VRO's (Motor Vehicle registration), DSA (Driving Tests), DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licencing) and VOSA (Commercial Vehicle operator regulation, enforcement and vehicle testing) combined into one organisation.

GO TO THE WEBSITE BELOW, CLICK ON "DRIVERS' MANUAL" and you can download the Massachusetts equivalent to Britain's Highway Code! This is a marvellous document, which tells you everything you need to know to make you an expert on driving in Massachusetts.

mwe's Profile Photo
mwe
Apr 01, 2007

Driving - don't do it!

Driving in Boston is something that, even after living in the area for a while, we still try not to do unless there is no other option. With feet that work and a very capable T system, we find that driving isn't worth the hassle or, especially, the cost of parking.

However, if getting to Boston by car is your only option, we would suggest driving to a T or commuter rail station. Leave the car in the suburbs and take the train the rest of the way in. Even if you have to pay to park at the train station, it is considerably less than what you would pay in Boston!

sarahandgareth's Profile Photo
sarahandgareth
Jan 14, 2007

Traffic jams.

In 1991 I was shocked to see Boston's streets gridlocked from 3pm to 7pm: I've never seen traffic jams anything like the ones I saw in Boston in the UK!
Between my penultimate visit to Boston in 1998 & my last in 2005, something called the 'Big Dig' took place, which involved dismantling the flyovers of Boston's urban motorways & moving the roads underground into tunnels.
As my 2005 visit was on a Saturday, when things were pretty free-flowing, I'm unsure of how well this grand scheme has worked.

mwe's Profile Photo

90 Tremont St., Boston, Massachusetts, 02108, United States
15 Beacon St, Boston, Massachusetts, 02108, United States
1 Court Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02108, United States
Hotels
161 Devonshire Street, Between Milk & Franklin Streets, Boston, Massachusetts, 02110, United States
Hotels
26 North Street, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, Massachusetts, 02109-1509, United States

THE FASTEST AND CHEAPEST WAY FROM NEW YORK

My experience has taught me that the fastest and quickest way to get to Boston from New York is to drive there. From my home town it takes my just over 3 hours to get there by car and it only costs about $25 in gas and tolls, sometimes less. A train will cost upwards of $100 and a bus will cost $50 or more per person.

moiraistyx's Profile Photo
moiraistyx
Oct 11, 2006

Drive to and get around Boston

The best way to do something in Boston and not pay a fortune for parking is to start by driving to Cambridge and park at either Kendall Square or at Cambridgeside Galleria. Park your car in the lots there for cheap and take the nearby red or green line "T" (subway) to your next destination in Boston or Cambridge and back. A day trip including a scenic drive along Memorial Drive with views of the Charles River and the Boston skyline will be in store for you coming and going. Be sure to avoid rush hours on weekdays and the drive is quite nice. Catch and indie film at the Kendall Square Cinema, hop the red-line to either Harvard Square or Cambridge Side Galleria for sights and shopping. Or for non-stop shop til you drop start at Cambridgeside, park and take the green line to Copley and check out Newbury Street Prudential Center and Copley Place. Do not attempt to drive to Harvard Square or Newbury Street or Copley Place or Prudential Center directly. These excursions are not recommended for novice Boston drivers, and anyone not willing to pay a ton of dough to PAHK THE CAH. P.S. One cannot park in Harvard Yard unless they are on bicycle.

bethame
Apr 14, 2006

Parking is problem!

We went up there by car from New York. It took us to get there 4 1/2 hours.Well, We read about driving in the city is crazy from those travel books. It is true! Don't think to drive all trip in the city. Parking is for resident permit only.We paid for 3 hours parking $26!::)))
Anyway we used the Subway all trip in the city and It was perfect. (Exept, subway works until 12:45 AM)Taxi is fairly good, too.

Birsen's Profile Photo
Birsen
Apr 18, 2005

Driving in Boston - Slow and Painful

Even though a lot of the big dig is complete, the Downtown area is still suffering from massive construction headaches. Expect detours dur to road closures and delays caused by congestion. The best bet is to get in town, park, and take public transportation (or walk!)

MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo
MatthewMetcalfe
Aug 24, 2004
Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gypsystravels

"BOSTON KALEIDOSCOPE AND ITS CAST OF COLORS…"
moiraistyx's Profile Photo

moiraistyx

"IF HOME IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS-THEN I LIVE HERE"
garridogal's Profile Photo

garridogal

"Boston in a Nutshell"
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"The Perfect Weekend Away City"
BruceDunning's Profile Photo

BruceDunning

"Boston Features the Old and New"

Zakim Bridge

Driving North out of Boston on Rt 93 we were able to cross Boston's newest bridge, the Zakim Bridge . An interesting structure, it looks more like a sculpture than part of a roadway! Actually from this picture it looks like a wishbone....or white wire pyramids, or wire hangers.....anyway not much like a bridge. At night it's lit up with blueish purple lights, very cool!

kazander's Profile Photo
kazander
Jul 30, 2004

Now NAVIGATING is a different story

My other Boston driving tip was about how easy the actual driving can be. Now keep in mind that my driving experience in the heart of the city didn't involve a lot of map-reading. I got it easy, and was able to simply follow the signs.

Anyone who know what those squiggly lines are on a map can tell you that Boston streets are not exactly planned quite logically. In actuality, they have absolutely no method of organization whatsoever. So buy yourself a very nice map before you go to Boston, and make sure that does a VERY good job of labelling one-way streets. I didn't have to do too much map navigating, and I'm glad I didn't! The streets weren't very well labeled, and traffic moves too quickly to constantly be checking your map. So plan your route well, know your route, and be prepared to whip around and backtrack.

I did it!!

Yes, Boston is a tough city to navigate, and yes, the drivers are a little crazy. But it isn't loads of city driving experience that you need to survive them. You just need to be able to drive on their level.

My driving experience in Boston was getting into the aquariugm area, driving on 93, some driving north of the city, and getting into/around logan airport. So I was right in the heart of things, and guess what? I survived.

The secret to driving in Boston is to understand why these people drive the way they drive. They have a place to go, and they want to get there quickly. And because stop-and-go traffic is so common and so mentally taxing, when they don't have to stop, they MOVE. And that's what anyone driving in Boston has to understand. You need to do everything QUICKLY. Accelerate from a stop quickly, because that will keep traffic moving. When you need to stop, then STOP! Not making assertive stops means that you lose time reacting to traffic patterns. And if you're going to make a lane change, signal, and then move it on over. You can't wait around for traffic to wait for you, because it will not happen.

Everything you do behind the wheel of your car in "The Hub" has to be firm, quick and assertive. Don't worry about being polite, don't let yourself get scared, just GO!

Finally don't worry constantly about your speed. Just move with traffic, and don't even look at the speedometer. Bostonians will pass you if you're not going at what they think is the fast enough speed, and that can be even more dangerous than you going a few miles faster than you are comfortable with. (and while you're looking at that speedometer, the *** in front of you might have just stopped suddenly!)

So good luck, ye hearty souls that will be tackling Boston. Driving in Boston has been a goal of mine ever since I went there last year. Well I got my opportunity, and I'm glad I did.

I did it!!

My driving experience in Boston was getting into the aquarium parking lot from the highway, and getting into/around logan airport. So I was right in the heart of things, and guess what? I survived.

The secret to driving in Boston is to understand why these people drive the way they drive. They have a place to go, and they want to get there quickly. And because stop-and-go traffic is so common and so mentally taxing, when they don't have to stop, they MOVE. And that's what anyone driving in Boston has to understand. You need to do everything QUICKLY. Accelerate from a stop quickly, because that will keep traffic moving. When you need to stop, then STOP! Not making assertive stops means that you lose time reacting to traffic. And if you're going to make a lane change, signal, and then move it on over. You can't wait around for traffic to wait for you, because it will not happen.

Finally don't worry constantly about your speed. Just move with traffic, and don't even look at the speedometer. Bostonians will pass you if you're not going at what they think is the fast enough speed, and that can be even more dangerous than going a few miles faster than you are comfortable with. (and while you're looking at that speedometer, the *** in front of you might have just stopped suddenly!)

Things to Do Near Boston

King's Chapel

The King's Chapel is one of the many protestant Unitarian Denominational Churches in New England and is part of the Freedom Trail, you can check this area and Chapel too as it lies just in Tremont...

City Hall

The New Boston City hall is just a stone's throw away from the old City Hall Building that was built in 1968 and on the famous brutalist style which was popular during those times (brutalist design...

Granary Burying Ground

I enjoy visiting cemeteries. I think they are beautiful and hold spiritual tranquility. I look at the crypts and headstones and wonder if the deceased have families that live on. I enjoy the beauty of...

Black Heritage Trail

This is a shorter trail than the freedom trail and takes you mainly around the Beacon Hill area which is lovely in itself. There are beautiful mansion houses and millionaire's squares. Excellent and...

Old State House

What a great idea! To use a landmark as also a metro station is genius! The Old State House is one of the oldest public buildings in the United States, built in 1712-1713. It's one of the landmarks...

Old South Meeting House

A den of traitors. Or at least that's how the British would have seen it. This was the dry tinder box for the American Revolution. The locals would meet here for heated debates about the future of the...

Getting to Boston

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

Map