Map &

Historic Northeast Minneapolis Food Tour
From $45.00
Minneapolis Brewery Tour
From $75.00
The Big Ticket Adventure Pass: Minneapolis - Bloomington - St Paul - Mall of America Attractions
From $89.00

Mall of America Tips (14)

Mall of America: It's just a MALL, for cryin' out loud.

Yes, it's here.
Yes, it's the biggest in the U.S.
Yes, we get a little sick of being famous for a big giant mall.
Yes, there are WAY better things to do.

Best reason to go here? To stretch your legs when it's too cold to be outside. And watch the people. Or take the kiddies to ride the rides. By all means, give the mall a look-see but please give our museums, theaters, zoos, parks and other great activities a go as well?

goodfish's Profile Photo
Apr 07, 2011

Mall of America: "Women only" parking lot

With the high rate of attacks on women in secluded parking lots, especially during evening hours, the Minneapolis City Council has established a 'Women Only' parking lot at the Mall of America. Even the parking lot attendants are exclusively female so that a comfortable and safe environment is created for patrons.

The accompanying picture is the first one available of this world's first women only parking lot.

etfromnc's Profile Photo
Feb 12, 2010

Mall of America: A Shoppers Paradise

You can find just about any store in this place.

What to buy Everything and I mean everything. But they have a few stores that are have merchandise from Minneaplis that you can't find any where else, I really like that.

What to pay I say the average person will spend about $300.00 including dinner bring extra if you plan going on the rides.

queensgirl's Profile Photo
Apr 10, 2006

Mall of America: Big does not begin to tell this story!!

I am not a shopper. When I travel, I do not even shop for souvenirs for my family and friends. I usually end up buying some but I rarely go anywhere for the primary purpose of shopping. This was probably true when I visited the Mall of America but I did go there deliberately. We spent an entire day there and this non-shopper felt like a kid who only got to see half of the circus. I am told that people literally come to Minneapolis from all over the world merely to shop here and I can see why. It is the largest mall in the USA and I think that when it first opened, it was the largest one in the world. Someday, I will find my little booklet on the Mall of America and add how many stores, restaurants, and entertainment outlets it has but if you are anywhere near Minneapolis, do not miss the Mall of America.

What to buy You can buy just about anything in the Mall of America. They have stores from outdoors outfitters to Victoria's Secret (whose products you definitely will not want to wear outdoors in Minneapolis in January, unless under a fur coat) and from shaved ice to gourmet restaurants.

What to pay I spent several hundred dollars and did "not really buy anything."

etfromnc's Profile Photo

215 4th Street South, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55401, United States
615 2nd Ave S, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55402, United States
88 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55402-1114, United States
425 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55415, United States
95 Merriam Street, Nicollet Island, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55401, United States

Mall of America: Shop til you drop...

What makes the Mall of America special...boy, where do I start.

Bloomington's Mall of America is the largest entertainment and retail complex in the USA.
It boasts over 42 million visitors per year. Under one huge roof, you will find over 500 specialty shops, 4 national department stores, over 50 restaurants, 7 nightclubs, 14 movie theatres, and so much more.

It is unlike any mall you have previously encountered in your shopping career. Everything, and anything may be found here. What I especially like is the way it is policed.

Nothing against teenagers, other than they should be seen and not heard, but no one under the age of 18 is allowed without adult supervision. This has effectively removed all groups of loud, obnoxious kids from roaming the corridors. No pushing, shoving, posturing, or obcentities to assult your tender ears while spending your hard earned dollar.

So parents, be aware of this tip before you encourage your teenager to accompany you. You will be forced to spend the entire time with a brooding, sulking kid whom you both expected would wander off on their own upon arrival at the mall. I've been there, done that. It ain't pretty.

Some people don't like this policy, but I think it is great.

What to buy I always go in search of the free samples of cheese curds, and an earlier dinner at Tucci Benucch.

A visit to The Walking Store is a must, and our first trips always included a stop at Gatlin Brothers, a BBQ rib joint, but, sadly, they didn't survive, as the trend towards country and western music and line dancing gradually diminished.

What to pay I find everything to be more expensive than usual. This is due to the high cost of store rents. I understand Mall of America charges the highest cost per square foot of rental space than any other management company in the USA. I wonder how the shopping complex in Ceasars Palace in Las Vegas would compare?

The mall includes a large amusement centre, with numerous rides for all age groups. Check it out.

mapakettle's Profile Photo
May 20, 2004

Rybicki Cheese - Mall of America: Cheese curds...gotta have my cheese curds !!

Rybicki Cheese sells cheese of course, by offering tiny chunks of samples to shoppers by some guy wearing a wedge of cheese on his head. There is always a little crowd around his table, with shoppers eager to sample the various flavours the store has to offer. All cheese is manufactured by their own plant in Wisconsin.

I always stock up on three or four varieties of cheese prior to departing home to Canada, plus, included with my contraband, are baggies full of my favourite, cheese curds. These chewy, rubbery morsels are my down fall.

What to buy Besides cheese, Rybicki's sells sports items and replica farm machinery (green/yellow), can you guess??

What to pay various prices, depending. Competitive.

Rybicki Cheese has just signed a second ten year lease at Mall of America. This little shop was deemed by management of Mall of America to be the 'first to fail' when the mall originally opened. How wrong they were.

mapakettle's Profile Photo
May 18, 2004

Mall of America: Duty Free!!!

When shopping at the Mall of America keep in mind that there is no sales tax on any clothes in the mall!!!

What to buy No tax items on any clothes: men's, women's, kid's, and any other clothing.

What to pay Depends how much you want to spend.

essexgirl's Profile Photo
Jan 26, 2004

Mall of America: All Kinds of Specialty Shops

I had a great time looking through the specialty shops that aren't in most malls.

What to buy You can find specialty auto decals, like the Dodge Ram. You could buy enough magnets to cover your fridge. You could even buy a no parking sign to keep away those pesky neighbors who aren't Norwegian. (I went to Minnesota to visit descendants of my Norwegian great, great grandparents who arrived in the United States over 125 years ago.)

What to pay Unless the item is on sale, you'll pay more than the item would cost elsewhere. But if you are in the Mall of America and looking around and have some extra cash, you'll find stuff that you probably can't find at your hometown mall. The key to happy shopping is don't HAVE to buy anything and you'll have a great time.

mcpangie's Profile Photo
Jan 07, 2004

Top 5 Minneapolis Writers

goodfish's Profile Photo

"City of Waters"
shrimp56's Profile Photo

"A Terrific Town!"
lkdahl's Profile Photo

"Not Always The Great White North"
Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

"On Target in Minneapolis, Minnesota"
emoja's Profile Photo

"Minneapolis - City of Water"

Mall of America: A mall with everything and more

You've probable heard of the Mall of America, known as the biggest mall in the U.S., or maybe the world. I've heard there are bigger, but does it really matter? It opened in 1992 and has had more than 350 million visitors so far. It has 4 levels, 520 stores, 49 restaurants, 8 night clubs, a movie theatre, an amusement park, and much more. It's a pretty fun place to visit if you're in the Twin Cities.

CThomasB's Profile Photo
Feb 24, 2003

The Mall of America

The Mall of America is the largest mall in the United States. I've been to the larger mall in Edmonton, Canada, but this one 'feels' bigger.
This place is actually the third most popular destination in the US, after the Disney resorts. (can this really be true?) People come from all over the country to shop here. Most local residents don't like it here, and try to go to other places to shop.

frankcanfly's Profile Photo
Sep 18, 2002

No More Planet Hollywood?: You're Kidding!

If Planet Hollywood couldn't manage to stay in business at the Mall of America, what is the world coming too?

mcpangie's Profile Photo
Apr 04, 2011

Mall of America: Ready, set ..... GO!!!

More than 500 stores ... Nine west, Victoria´s secret, Express, Banana Republic, body shop, bath and body works.............. I love it!!

CC81's Profile Photo
Aug 21, 2006

Things To Do in Minneapolis

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse

Good but not great so disappointed :( Brazilian steakhouses are always pricey don't mind the cost if it is a great meal and experience. The cost is around 70 a person. If you've never been to...

Nicollet Mall

On summer Thursdays, the Minneapolis Farmer's Market expands to both sides of Nicollet Mall between Fifth and 12th Streets. Masses of flowers, fresh vegetables and fruits, honey and other produce are...

Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum

This is a nice-sized little art museum with just enough to see without being overwhelmed. The parking is free but if you park in the little pay lot at the bottom of the hill you can have a picnic on...

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

Have you ever wanted to get lost in some artwork? Sometimes it is the paintings will just draw you in. Other times, it is just that you wondered away from your group and now you are literally lost....

American Swedish Institute

A mansion donated to the preservation of American Swedish culture. Go see the beautifl fireplaces in each room, I've never seen anything like them. They also have a great bookstore with many Swedish...

Lake Calhoun

Before heading to St. Paul in my second day. I decided to check the second most visited place in Minnesota after Mall of America, the Lake Calhoun which is part of the so called Chain of lakes. The...

Getting to Minneapolis

60 East Broadway, Bloomington

We don't yet have hours for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!