Map &

Downtown and Fremont Street History Walking Tour
From $35.00
Las Vegas Segway Tour: South Fremont Street
From $129.00

Valley of Fire State Park Tips (26)

The Valley of Fire!

Take the I-15 north from Las Vegas about 55 miles to the Valley of Fire exit. Here you'll find the Moapa Band of Paiute Indian Reservation and the beautiful Valley Of Fire State Park--Which I'll write more about on my Overton, Nevada page. I just drove through, but there are camping facilities and many wonderous sights for those interested in unique landscapes and 3,000 year-old Indian petroglyphs.

The hills are red sandstone formed by shifting sand dunes, from over 150 million years ago. Erosion caused by the winds and weather have created the unique landscape. It is especially impressive at sunrise or sunset when the red earth seems to burst into flame.

lmkluque's Profile Photo
Dec 21, 2012

Natural Beauty

About an hour outside the city is another natural wonder. The Valley or Fire is an beautiful place. And if you've never been there, you've probably seen it. Numerous ads agencies have shot their campaigns there. Last time I was there, I drove by a shoot for SAAB. Take some time to get out and see this place. Don't forget to bring water, there's no fountains out there and if you decide to go out and do some exploring, you'll be happy you brought some with you.

May 22, 2007

Valley of Fire

The valley of Fire State Park is about 50 miles northeast of Las Vegas in the Mojave desert. The current entrance fee is $6.00 per car and if you plan on camping, it's an additional $8.00.

The visitor center is open 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM each day and provides exhibits on the area's history.

From Las Vegas, take I-15 (NE) to SR-169 South (exit 93). the entrance is about 15 miles.

Agraichen's Profile Photo
Apr 26, 2007

Valley of Fire State Park

Here is an unusual place, with big red rock formations and mysterious Indian petroglyphs. These are mostly well-preserved, too. But their meaing remains unknown. Another feature is some petrified logs, proving that this was once a forest. There are some good hiking trails and a few campsites (all are first-come, first-serve).

If you're staying in Las Vegas, this is an excellent day trip. Traveling northeast on Interstate 15 from Las Vegas, take Nevada Route 169 at Crystal south to the park. Traveling southwest on I-15 turn south on Route 169 (Exit 93) near Glendale, and travel southeast 15 miles to the park.

Tom_Fields's Profile Photo
Oct 30, 2005
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Las Vegas

651 East Ogden Avenue, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
129 N. 8th St., Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 North Main Street, Between Fremont Street and I-95, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
301 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
12 Ogden Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 East Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States

This place is breathtaking!

Oh my goodness! I did not know what I was in store for when we went out to the desert! I was in awe of everything. Being from the midwest, I just have never seen anything as beautiful! I just wish I had gone decades earlier than I did.

Vegasdi623's Profile Photo
Aug 23, 2005

Valley of Fire State Park

You'll find incredible red rock formations and ancient petroglyphs in this state park. Entrance fee is $5 per car and well worth it. There is an excellent visitors center nad everything is well marked. And it's only an hour from Las Vegas!
Be sure to wear good walking shoes, wear a hat and carry a bottle of water. The heat can catch up with you before you know it.
I will add my own pictures when I get home.

shrimp56's Profile Photo
Jul 02, 2005

Valley of Fire State Park

I can't say enough about this place. About an hour or so north of Las Vegas lies a valley in the middle of nowhere consisting of awesome red rocks. Millions of years ago the valley was under water. Once the sea drained away the exposed rock was worn down by the relentless winds to expose brilliant shades of red. Take a drive through the valley and make sure you visit each stop.

Native Americans from long ago have carved petroglyphs on the rocks.

The views the day I went were beautiful - blue sky and red rocks. It can get very hot in the summer, so be prepared if you decide to hike or climb in the area.

Entrance fee is $6, but worth it. There is a visitor's center as well.

kala6487's Profile Photo
Apr 03, 2005

a great way to spend the day!

it's so peaceful and beautiful out here! we even saw a small wedding - the bride looked stunning against the red rocks. it was near sunset. I'd never seen anything quite like this, up close and personal. ed rocks, rainbow colored rocks, blue skies going on forever - and hardly any people!

skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo
Mar 06, 2005

Top 5 Las Vegas Writers

Yaqui's Profile Photo

"Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
goingsolo's Profile Photo

"A tourists view of Las Vegas"
kris-t's Profile Photo

"Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
doug48's Profile Photo

"las vegas"

Valley of Fire State Park

This beautiful state park is located about 60 miles (97 km) northeast of Las Vegas. To get there take highway I-15N and then the Valley of Fire exit. The name of the park comes from the red sandstone formations, which were formed over 150 million years ago from great shifting sand dunes. The landscape is simply spectacular. At different sites in the park you can see Indian petroglyphs (rock art) done by Anasazi Pueblo farmers, the ancient people who lived in this area. There are many hikes within the park, which brings me to another topic. We couldn't do any of the hikes, because we visited the park in August and it was incredibly hot. All we could think about was how to find the next shaded place. For this reason we decided not to go too far away from the car and we didn't do any hikes (well, we did only a short one, to see the Anasazi petroglyphs but that was all). I guess the best seasons for visiting Valley of Fire are spring and fall.

Andraf's Profile Photo
Jan 20, 2005

Valley of the Fire State Park

Once you've visited Red Rock Canyon, you'll know how stunning the Nevada scenery can be. But drive a bit further and explore this terrain in greater detail with a trip to Valley of the Fire State Park. This is Nevada's oldest state park and it derives its name from the striking sandstone formations in a brilliant shade of red.

For more information on this park, feel free to visit my Valley of the Fire State Park page.

goingsolo's Profile Photo
Dec 18, 2004

Driving through the Valley of Fire

It is a fun drive through Valley of the Fire State Park along its twisting, turning road. You will go right, left, up and down as you travel through this interesting rocky landscape.

Plan your visit for late afternoon to see the red rocks glow from the setting sun.

windsorgirl's Profile Photo
Dec 18, 2004

Valley of Fire State Park

Only a 60 mile drive east from Las Vegas along the I15 to hwy 169 south will bring you to a wonderful desert getaway. We arrived late in the afternoon to see the unusual rock formations glow like fire. There were many short but sandy walking paths, and alot of shaded picnic tables. It looked like a great place to bring a bottle of wine and snacks to enjoy while watching the sun set.

Admission is $6/vehicle and the park is open from dawn til dusk, the visitor centre is open daily from 830am to 430pm.

windsorgirl's Profile Photo
Nov 02, 2004

Things To Do Near Las Vegas

The Neon Sign Museum

The Neon Musuem doesn't just consist of historical neon signs, but there is something else that is very special. The visitor center once was the La Concha Motel lobby, Mid-Century modern design...

Las Vegas Natural History Museum

Also in Las Vegas you can see some very interestings Museums.This is a picture taken at Natural History Museum. Others good museums are: Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art. Houdini's Museum. The Tomb and...

Fremont Street Experience

I went here twice when I was staying in Vegas, I found it so much better then the main vegas strip. The drinks are cheaper, the pubs had more "alternative" music playing. Two pubs had a cover band...

The Golden Gate Hotel

I love to head to The Golden Gate for their $.99 shrimp cocktail, which they have been serving since 1959. By 1991 they served a whopping total of 25 million! -OR- You could really splurge and...
Things to Do

After 20 years of marriage we decided to get our vows renewed on our holiday to Vegas in July. We chose the Elvis - Burning Love package at the Wee Kirk and we chose well! It was such a lovely...

Stratosphere Casino, Hotel & Tower

We went during late June in 2014, myself and my family. I will say that overall I was pleased with the experience and the view from up above will make you forget about the costs and the inconvenience...

Getting to Las Vegas

We don't yet have an address for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!