Map &

Las Vegas Segway Tour: South Fremont Street
From $129.00
The Pop Culture Walking Tour of Fremont Street
From $30.00

Dress for Weather / to Impress Tips (30)

Forget dress to impress- its hot out here!!

Luggage and bags Vegas is excruciatingly hot in the summer. And forget all that talk about "its a dry heat" 110 degrees is hot no matter how dry it is.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Bring a bathing suit. And comfortable shoes, preferably sneakers. I had a pair of cute jelly sandals which melted on the pool deck. Before that, the vinyl cut into my foot and created some bad blisters. Skip the fashionable shoes and wear well broken in sandals or sneakers. Also, sunblock and a hat as, in case I didn't mention it, its hot out here.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies Load up on sunblock and moisturizer. Did I mention that its hot here? Its also a dry heat, which can dry out your skin, so be prepared.

Jun 07, 2004

Bring your common sense

Luggage and bags 1 large bag on wheels
Don't pack to make your room your home. You will not be spending much time in the room anyway. In fact, you may only get 3 or 4 hours of sleep a day if you sleep at all.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear 1 really fancy outfit with shoes
4 comfy outfits with comfy shoes
bathing suit
leave the jammies at home, you won't be sleeping much anyway.
Don't pack much. Lets face it, you are going to buy Las Vegas T-shirts, jackets, hats

Toiletries and Medical Supplies The hotels have most of this stuff complimentary including blow dryers in each room. But you will need sunscreen and shades.

Photo Equipment Must bring your camera

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear Be real careful of the sun and the heat if you are not used to it. Always carry water with you and a hat isn't a bad idea either although you will probably be buying one that says Las Vegas on it.

Miscellaneous Don't pack alot of stuff. We have everything here that you may need and most of it is free. You will be buying alot of souviners so leave lots of room in your bag.
When it's hot, it's hot, but when you go into the casinos, they keep them pretty cool.
You can wear anything anytime here. Look to your left, there will be someone with a tux and a bride on his arm, look to your right and you will see a couple chicks with just their bathing suit tops and some tacky shorts with a bad hair dye job. It just doesn't matter how you dress here, the fashion police refuse to have anything to do with Vegas. Sometimes you'll look around and think you've walked into the cast of Rocky Horror.

BreezyJones's Profile Photo
Jan 17, 2004

Dress to impress, if you must

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Most nighttime places are casual in Vegas. Some restaurants do have a dress code. As for everything else, I saw people casually dressed at shows and in the casino at all hours.
As for some of the most popular clubs, there is a dress code of sorts. I'm not sure if it includes any of the outfits in the picture, but the people hitting the club scene were dressed up.

Jun 14, 2004

Las Vegas Gear

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear I usually go to Las Vegas in warm weather and since it's sitting in the desert it can get HOT! However, the winter take sweaters, a coat or a jacket should be just about right. Since weather anywhere can be unpredictable, dress in layers. Some visitors were bundled up in scarves and hats, some visitors were in shorts and sandals. The high during the day was 50-60 degrees, and at night from 45- 50 degrees. For winter months dress slightly warmer.

Court94403's Profile Photo
Jan 06, 2010
Sponsored Listings

Hotels in Las Vegas

651 East Ogden Avenue, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
129 N. 8th St., Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 North Main Street, Between Fremont Street and I-95, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
301 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
12 Ogden Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 East Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States

Packing List

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear What to wear: Yes, Las Vegas is in the desert. And, yes, the temperature gets to be about 115 degrees in the summer. But if you happen to be visiting in the winter (usually from Halloween to Valentine's Day), don't be fooled. A jacket is definitely recommended, especially if the wind is blowing. We know our blood is probably thin from living here, and we may not get blizzards, but consider this your warning -- it's a lot colder here than you'd think.

Miscellaneous '...whatever you do, don't try to loose the farm...felt miserable afterwards'

slaybelle's Profile Photo
Sep 12, 2002

Hot Weather Clothing, One Jacket and Energy!

Luggage and bags Do yourself a favor and underpack. Most likely, you'll be so busy that you will hardly change. A carry-on bag is sufficient.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Pack for hot weather (80% of the year) but if you're a wimpy girl like me, pack a light jacket to wear in the hotels. The AC is on so high and it gets cold if you are wearing a tank top. Pack comfortable shoes and keep in mind that almost everywhere in Vegas is casual. Even nightlife can be enjoyed in jeans most of the time.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies The most important toiletry to pack is sun block b/c it is so expensive at the hotels. Maybe bring some tylenol for headaches (maybe from smoke in casinos, stress from losing money, or a hangover).

Photo Equipment You'll probably just need one roll of film.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear Pack your bathing suit and take some reading material (to pretend to read as you people watch at the pool). I saw Evander Holyfield at the Bellagio pool last time I was in Vegas.

Miscellaneous Some hotels now have alarm clock radios with cd players! So pack your favorite cds to enjoy in your hotel room.

Dundooni's Profile Photo
Sep 24, 2003

Loose clothing

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Even though everyone says its dry heat and its not that hot... if you aren't used to the heat it still is extremely hot. Pack lots of cotton tanks. Even a night the weather is smothering.

Photo Equipment Pitures everywhere so bring lots of film or an extra battery for your digital.

amybrooke's Profile Photo
Jul 14, 2005

Packing List

Luggage and bags It doesn't matter what kind of luggage you bring.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Things to bring:
§ Comfortable shoes and a few extra pairs of socks.
§ I bring some peppermint lotion for my feet when it’s hot outside.
§ Bubble bath
§ Hair clip or head band if you go to the spa
§ Swim suit and flip flops
§ Camera and film (we bring disposable so we don’t have to worry about losing it)
§ Fanny pack so you don’t have to worry about losing your purse or leaving it at a slot machine or table.§ Advil or Tylenol
§ Eye drops
§ Lotion – my skin get so dry from the air conditioning and the desert air
§ Sun glasses
§ Sweater to wear indoors – they can sometimes be very cold inside the casinos, so I am sure to dress in layers.
What to Wear:
I use this opportunity to glam it up. We don’t really dress up anywhere around here, so I take advantage of the opportunity by wearing stuff I wouldn’t normally wear. I have a stash of evening sweaters and purses. Anything that sparkles or is black is what I usually take. You will see people wearing sweat suits and others wear tuxedos and evening gowns. At the Bellagio, you will see a lot of formal wear, but you will see just as much casual wear. Anything goes in Las Vegas. Wear whatever you feel like, this is one place when nobody will care what you look like and you’ll never see any of them again.

Aug 26, 2002

Top 5 Las Vegas Writers

Yaqui's Profile Photo

"Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
goingsolo's Profile Photo

"A tourists view of Las Vegas"
kris-t's Profile Photo

"Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
doug48's Profile Photo

"las vegas"
View Member

Pocketbook...reading material hard to find

Luggage and bags Luggage with wheels. There is lots of walking, both from the plane if you brought carry on, and in the casino itself. I recommend a backpack for much of European travel, but it might be out of place in Las Vegas.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear Bring half of what you laid out on the bed. Unless you intend to dress to impress, stick to the basics. Comfortable shoes, slacks, and a reasonable number of shirts. Air conditioning can become uncomfortable, so perhaps a pajama top or long sleeve 'T' for night time wear. If you want a fancy dinner or two, then a light sports jacket would be in order.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies Always at the top of my list are Tums. I tend to eat later than usual, and always a tad too much. Aspirins are readily available everywhere.

Photo Equipment Compact cameras are great if you can convince your wife to carry it. SLR cameras will be in your way, plus pictures are frowned upon inside the casino. I used our little Sony camera a fair amount this past trip, but would have cursed my Canon SLR.

mapakettle's Profile Photo
Feb 21, 2011

Packing List

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear In summer it goes without saying, shorts and Tee shirts are what is appropriate. Some dressy clothes for night. In spring, winter, fall, Jeans, and long sleve shirts, and light jacket would be good. It is kind of cool then.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies None special needed.

Scottyj36's Profile Photo
Sep 07, 2002

Miscellaneous .

During the day, anything goes! Shorts and t-shirts (even tank-tops) are okay in the nicer hotels.

At night be ready for anything.

You may--on the spur of the moment--decide to hit a nice bar in a 5-star hotel; so wear 'nice casual' in the evening (e.g. long pants, shirt with a collar, comfortable yet dressy shoes).

It could mean the difference between a 5 or 45 minute wait for a table.

100ACRE's Profile Photo
May 01, 2003

Packing List

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear I like Las Vegas much better in the fall and winter. In mid-summer, temperatures can reach up to 100+ in the shade! So bring breezy and light-colored clothing and plenty of H2O. That said, the heat here is a dry heat, so goes the cliche. I actually found it to be very bearable, even though I'm used to the temperate climate of the northeast. You will get acclimated to the heat if you spend enough time outdoors and have adequate preparations. Dashing in and out of air-conditioned casinos isn't the way to do it.

Photo Equipment Las Vegas is most beautiful and colorful at night, when the neons can light up the night. Needless to say, you'd need a tripod to capture all of its glitter.

dinhyen's Profile Photo
Aug 26, 2002

Things To Do in Las Vegas

The Neon Sign Museum

The Neon Musuem doesn't just consist of historical neon signs, but there is something else that is very special. The visitor center once was the La Concha Motel lobby, Mid-Century modern design...

Las Vegas Natural History Museum

Also in Las Vegas you can see some very interestings Museums.This is a picture taken at Natural History Museum. Others good museums are: Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art. Houdini's Museum. The Tomb and...

Fremont Street Experience

I went here twice when I was staying in Vegas, I found it so much better then the main vegas strip. The drinks are cheaper, the pubs had more "alternative" music playing. Two pubs had a cover band...

The Golden Gate Hotel

I love to head to The Golden Gate for their $.99 shrimp cocktail, which they have been serving since 1959. By 1991 they served a whopping total of 25 million! -OR- You could really splurge and...
Things to do

After 20 years of marriage we decided to get our vows renewed on our holiday to Vegas in July. We chose the Elvis - Burning Love package at the Wee Kirk and we chose well! It was such a lovely...

Stratosphere Casino, Hotel & Tower

We went during late June in 2014, myself and my family. I will say that overall I was pleased with the experience and the view from up above will make you forget about the costs and the inconvenience...

Getting to Las Vegas

We don't yet have an address for this What to Pack. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this What to Pack. Help us improve our info!