Map &

Las Vegas Segway Tour: South Fremont Street
From $129.00

Gambling Tips (32)

How we did gamble

Las Vegas is built to "call your money".

No matter where you are, you will be listening to the music of coins dropping from electronic machines, amidst other appellative sounds inviting you to risk.

No matter where you go, you will see people betting that "that" machine will be the one to supply the dreamed fortune.

No matter what you see, everything is planned to surround you with the euphoria that disables cautions and controls.

It is possible to enjoy Las Vegas - you just have to understand the city and be prepared to it.

Gambling is no crime, nor necessarily the way to disgrace. You just have to control yourself.

Everything in gambling places all over the world is prepared to, at the end of a large time, define a winner, and only one - the owner. The machines are programmed to give back only one percentage of the received coins, in a random plan - if it happens that you are there in the happy moment, then... congratulations. If you spend much time (and money) trying to increase the chances to be the one in the right place in the right moment, then you risk to be one of the thousands supplying the coins, that, one day, will give happiness to a stranger in a close machine.

In all other games, statistics favour the house, which means that regular players are obvious regular losers.

So, why to gamble?

Why to dive? Why to climb mountains? Why to paragliding? Why to skate?

Because it is fun, and stimulates adrenaline. So does gambling, so there is no reason to refuse to, one day, without any illusion and with full emotional control, spend some minutes... gambling.

That's what we did.

We decided that, each day, we would spend a defined amount gambling, and we did. Without hassle, without anxiety, when we saw (or listen) to a funny machine, we risked one or two coins, and moved away. Once reaching the defined budget, gambling was over. If, returning to the hotel, we still had free budget, it was used (quickly) in the hotel's machines.

We both gambled each day, and no one spent a dime more than planned before starting. It was fun... and not expensive

solopes's Profile Photo
Apr 07, 2016

The sounds of a Las Vegas Casino.

"New roller!" "Craps!" "Hit me!" "All bets down!" "Six is the point!" "River Card!" "Insurance?" "Twenty-one!" "Rolling!" "Sixteen, red!" "B-6!" "Cocktails!" "Gin and tonic, please!" "Ding, ding, ding!" "Jackpot!" "Blackjack!" "Breaking a Hundred!" "No more bets!" "All bets final." "Good Luck!"

Ah, the sounds of a Las Vegas Casino. Like nothing you have ever heard. Listen closely, some one is betting, winning, losing at a gambling table, in a bingo room or the 1000's of slot machines inside the Casino. The sound of glass clicking as a toast for success goes up in the air. The hum of slot machines alone, is deafening. If you have never heard the sounds coming from the slot machines, be prepared. It's addicting. Some games of chance are confusing. You against the house. The house being the casino. Rules vary, words of the game are many. Learn the game, learn the talk and you too can walk the walk. "A little less conversation, a little more action, please!"

travelgourmet's Profile Photo
Dec 04, 2012

Get a Membership Card to Get COMPS part 2

again, like what I've said, any casino complex in the world now offer free membership cards and like the airlines MR's, you can also add up points on your favorite Card (also known as COMPS of complimentary). Las Vegas is no different!!! Check the internet for the list of membership cards and you can apply online and claim then once you are in their casino. you can choose from a lot of cards like Harrah's Card, Grazie Card by Palazzo and Venetian, Luxor Card, Wynn Red card and more.

Comps will start when you start to gamble whether on slot machines or table games of at sport betting stations or video poker. just insert your Card to the Slot machine slot or video poker slot or give your card to the dealer of the card game you are playing. The Comps will start once you start playing and will pile up depending on the length of you play, the money you put in to gamble and hauling your friends to gamble at that particular casino.

The lowest level of comp available at most casinos is free alcohol and other beverages. Many casinos provide free drinks to anyone who is gambling. The second level of comp that many players earn is free meals. Many casinos have several restaurants and may require more play to earn a comp to the higher end restaurant. Often the player is given a certain amount to spend, but sometimes, particularly with high rollers, the player may be given the right to order as much food as they want.

The next level of comps is usually free hotel rooms. Many casinos have attached hotels, but those that don't may have the ability to comp rooms to a hotel nearby. Many casino hotels have higher quality rooms, such as suites, villas, presidential suites and so on for bigger bettors. Many players who receive hotel rooms receive a package called "RFB" for "room, food, and beverage" or "RF" for smaller bettors, or jurisdictions where casinos are not allowed to give free alcohol

Many casinos also offer other comps, especially to high rollers. These may include airfare reimbursement, limo rides, prostitution services, tickets to shows, golf, free concierge services, cash back, private gaming areas, and private jet service. Casinos also frequently offer players comps by mail. These may be free bet offers, free meals, discounted or free rooms, or entries into tournaments or prize drawings.

machomikemd's Profile Photo
Sep 28, 2011

Get a Membership Card to Get COMPS part 1

Part one of my comps tips.

again a refresher, if you are staying at gambling towns all over the world, especially here in Las Vegas, they will offer you membership cards for free like the Harrah's Card of Harrah's, the Grazie Card of the Palazzo and the Red Card of Wynn to name a few. you can apply free online at their website or apply in person when you are at their casinos and they will give you a magnetized plastic card where you can store your rewards points. Some cards offer free gambling play like for example, the tropicana offers $ 25 free play when you sign up to their card and Harrah's offer $ 20 free play and the Wynn at $ 10 free play which you can use at slot machines or table games and if you become lucky and be on a roll, plus your points will add up once you put more money to gamble.

machomikemd's Profile Photo
Sep 28, 2011
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Las Vegas

651 East Ogden Avenue, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
129 N. 8th St., Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 North Main Street, Between Fremont Street and I-95, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
301 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
12 Ogden Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 East Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States

Casinos and games

Visit in any case the famous Fermont Street, what is the covered casino street of the downtown. It is full of various shops and casinos. An enormous steel roof covers the street, onto which fantastic light and laser show is projected in the evening.

In the casinos entrances, ladies in glittering dress invite us, people above age of 21 years may enter only of course. The age limit is kept under strict control, an identity card may be asked from anybody. In the casinos from tourists through the gambling-addicts to the mafiosos, practically all kinds of man can be found.

The casinos and games attract most visitors in the city apparently, there are some things however, onto which is important to listen. A free show of the rules of the various games is held in most casinos, it is worthy to check the given casino, when these are, and if we do not know the rules (there are so many games, that we may not know everything), take part on one of that. Let us stop beside a table before we start playing and let us look into the game of other ones, if onto this there is an opportunity, because we may learn by this a lot. There are jackpot, slot-machines, roulette, poker, blackjack and thousands of card game in all casinos, furthermore sports betting too.

The most important thing, however, do not chase unreal fancies, here you will never be rich: each traveler lose five hundred dollars according to the statistics in Las Vegas

csordila's Profile Photo
Jan 10, 2010

Brandy's Gambling Adventures

I do like to gamble in Las Vegas. I enjoy the fun of it so I play again the dealer, not against other players. I like to play low table limits of $5 on the strip. I haven't seen lower than that in Vegas. I'm sure I could find it but I like the glamor and the people-watching on the Strip. I'm the phony tourist.

My last trip I really enjoyed gambling at Bally's and Paris. They had such friendly dealers and the mood was so light. When playing blackjack at Paris our dealer was actually giving up fist pumps when she busted and the pit boss would come over and dance. I think we stayed there til about 4am. We even had pretty good luck.

And a special shout out to the Craps dealers and pit boss at Bally's too. Didn't like sleeping there but it's some of the lowest table limits on the strip. They were so nice....

msbrandysue's Profile Photo
Sep 22, 2009

I don't play slot machines. I might sit at the bar and play video poker. But the game I prefer to play is craps. However, I'm not fully knowlegeable in the game. What I do play seems to work for me and I can usually do well at it unless the table goes cold. It's hard to imagine but if the people at the table are not into it and supporting each other, it seems I will lose. So, I like to play at a crowded and lively table. On this particular visit to Vegas, I tried my hand at black jack most of the time and I did alright.
Here are some basic tips:
At most casinos, the dealer has to take a card on 16 or less and has to stop taking a card once they are past 17. So, if you have 12 or more and dealer is showing a 6 or less (other than an Ace), do not take another card. The odds are in your favor that the dealer will bust. Always double your bet if you have eleven because there is a good chance you will get a 10. You can only split your bet on cards that are alike. So, if you get two Aces, two eights, two nines (you get the idea). Tap the table when you want another card. Wave your hand over your cards side to side to signal you don't want another card. Good luck!

GracesTrips's Profile Photo
Mar 09, 2009

Get lucky - yeah, sure!

Las Vegas and gambling: you cannot mention one without the other. Okay, even old Cliffie dropped 25 dollars on the slots one evening, more to say that he had "been there, done that" than in any expectation of walking away with a million dollars. The rest of the time he spent his money on other things. A long time ago, old Cliffie worked in a casino for a year. He knows how it works. Look at all that opulent glitz and glamour in Las Vegas. Who do you think pays for it?

CliffClaven's Profile Photo
Jun 17, 2008

Top 5 Las Vegas Writers

Yaqui's Profile Photo

"Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
goingsolo's Profile Photo

"A tourists view of Las Vegas"
kris-t's Profile Photo

"Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
doug48's Profile Photo

"las vegas"
View Member

hard to miss the slot machine

Vegas has casinos EVERYWHERE!!! casino lobbies, restaurants, on the streets, I am surprised they did not put one in the bathroom yet.

If you don't know how to play, not to worry, they will teach you, give you a card for a "strategy", they even have silly tutorial videos on tv.

One good benefit of gambling is free alcohol. But you have to sit for a while for them to give away their $9 drinks. Make sure to sit down somewhere where the cocktail waitress walks by frequently, so even if you waste a buck, you will get something out of it.

Sorry I have no gambling strategy because there is none! It's all about the odds. More money you put more chances you will get to win or loose it all!!! Gambling requires lots of patience. It's addicting and dangerous. I have seen some people loose a lot of money and it's very depressing to watch some people gamble away their minimum wage paychecks.

So pick your poison.

olgaehr's Profile Photo
Nov 27, 2007

Beginners Gambling

They say that most people go to Vegas for the Casinos, though from my visit there I'm more convinced that it's for the drinking and clubbing and all night partying!

I'm sure, however, that there are others like me - people that don't know the first thing about gambling. The closest I've come to it is putting a tenner on a horse in the Grand National, or pennies in the slot machines in Tramore.

Nevertheless I was determined to try my hand at something....anything, just to say I gambled in Las Vegas.

Night one, there we are, ambling almost carelessly into the casino at Mandalay Bay determined to, eh, spend a penny...or two...on the slot machines. Be warned, it's nothing like it is at home. You need to become a "member" of your casino and they give you a little card. Membership is free. When you play the slot machines you build up your credits (if you get any) on your card and cash them in later. We had to ask several people to tell us how to go about it.

There are all the things you'd expect - I saw a man lose a fortune on roulette, having first won a fortune!

It's not glamorous like I expected it to be. I got all glammed up the first night and felt a bit out of it as most people were casual - you know how glammy they look at the casinos on tv?

It was fun. In the end I didn't gamble, but there were promises of great prizes - even cars and Harley Davidsons.

Sexily dressed hostesses go around the casinos filling you with free drink all night. I thought they were all very glum looking - then I realised that the trick was to give them a nice tip; that brought a smile to many faces. They'll fill you with drink even if you just LOOK as though you're gambling. I felt a bit sorry for them as none of them looked really happy.

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo
Jun 14, 2006

The Vegas Folklore

OK, I don't know if some of this is true, but I've been told.....

- The machines near the entrances of casinos are more likely to produce winning hands and spins than those in the rear. All the excitement of winning lures in those walking by.

- You always want to sit down at a machine where you've seen someone lose their whole bet. A guy strikes on on $40 without a single winning hand, the chances are you'll have a good hand in your run. The same goes with any table game as well, you see an unusual string of a certain roll or color, bet against it ASAP.

- If you see a machine pay out the big win, do not play on that machine for months, as the frequency of the big win is not in your favor.

Just a few things I have heard to help gamblers on their way!!!

HotSpotJ's Profile Photo
Nov 16, 2005

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The blood that flows through this city is that of the American dollar... the currency spent on numerous trips to the slot machines, the craps and blackjack tables, the roulette wheels, and those high limit poker tables. My personal vice is that of the sports book. Whatever your gambling poison in this town just remember to keep in fun, it is not meant for financial gain, and certainly, if you can't afford to gamble the money, don't. Stay within your means, don't go max bet everytime if you can't afford it, and only sit at tables with minimums you can afford. Also, know the rules of games before you put chips down at them, and, the most importnat rule- quit when you're ahead. Don't press your luck too far. This town has far too many great shows, clubs, and restaurants to waste all of your time and money at a table.

HotSpotJ's Profile Photo
Oct 22, 2005

Things To Do Near Las Vegas

The Neon Sign Museum

The Neon Musuem doesn't just consist of historical neon signs, but there is something else that is very special. The visitor center once was the La Concha Motel lobby, Mid-Century modern design...

Las Vegas Natural History Museum

Also in Las Vegas you can see some very interestings Museums.This is a picture taken at Natural History Museum. Others good museums are: Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art. Houdini's Museum. The Tomb and...

Fremont Street Experience

I went here twice when I was staying in Vegas, I found it so much better then the main vegas strip. The drinks are cheaper, the pubs had more "alternative" music playing. Two pubs had a cover band...

The Golden Gate Hotel

I love to head to The Golden Gate for their $.99 shrimp cocktail, which they have been serving since 1959. By 1991 they served a whopping total of 25 million! -OR- You could really splurge and...
Things to Do

After 20 years of marriage we decided to get our vows renewed on our holiday to Vegas in July. We chose the Elvis - Burning Love package at the Wee Kirk and we chose well! It was such a lovely...

Stratosphere Casino, Hotel & Tower

We went during late June in 2014, myself and my family. I will say that overall I was pleased with the experience and the view from up above will make you forget about the costs and the inconvenience...

Getting to Las Vegas

We don't yet have an address for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!