Map &

Las Vegas Segway Tour: South Fremont Street
From $129.00
The Pop Culture Walking Tour of Fremont Street
From $30.00

Bus / Shuttles Tips (110)

Getting around Las Vegas

Except for the Downtown area, distances to where you may want to go are not within a comfortable walk. The bus system is quite good but often inconvenient for your schedule and taxis are relatively expensive so using your own automobile or renting one is really the way to go - there are always very good "package" deals on auto rentals in Las Vegas. Please see the picture for a general orientation of the layout of the city.

bill_in_vegas's Profile Photo
May 27, 2005

Strip Bus

The monorail in Vegas is supposed to be the best way to get around Vegas, however, it's never running, and the rumor is that it jumped the track we found that the best way to get from one end of the strip to the other is to take the strip bus.
They run every 5-10 minutes, and it's only $5 for the entire day.
Most things are easy to walk to, but the scale of the buildings are so large that it's easy to think that you are closer than you actually are to a place, so if you plan on exploring the entire strip, buy a bus pass.

Apr 11, 2005

Shuttle hopping and city bus...

Bus fare around $1.25 compared to approx. $8.00+ for around the block and $25 for a 15 minute taxi ride. Another thing we found out, is from popular casino's you can "jump" shuttle rides FREE to another "popular" casino. So for saving money, I'd stick to jumping shuttles and the metro bus service. (also some hotels have free shuttles as well)

Feb 23, 2005

Barstow Station

This is a rest area in Barstow called "Barstow Station". Every time I visit Vegas by bus they must make a stop here. As shown in photo, behind Barstow Station there's a huge parking lot for buses. They rely on bus guests for almost all their business. Inside Barstow Station you'll see a couple of fast food places plus souvenir shops.

I never buy anything here. But it's a good place to pick up a few free magazines to read on the bus and to see if there's any gambling or buffet deals in Vegas before I arrive.

mht_in_la's Profile Photo
Jan 31, 2005
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Las Vegas

651 East Ogden Avenue, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
129 N. 8th St., Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 North Main Street, Between Fremont Street and I-95, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
301 Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
12 Ogden Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States
200 East Fremont Street, Las Vegas, Nevada, 89101, United States

$35 round-trip between LA and Vegas

Save yourself some energy and let someone else drive. $35 round-trip from LA to Vegas; cheaper than Greyhound. Can't beat that. Currently there are a few Chinese operators. In the morning they pick up passengers at various locations around LA (Chinatown, San Gabriel, Rowland Heights, etc.) then drop off at major casinos along the Strip around noon. In the afternoon the journey is reversed.

mht_in_la's Profile Photo
Jan 20, 2005

The Public Bus

The easy way to get around Vegas is by the bus. This stops at almost every casino or every 2 casinos. The bus is only $2 each way per person, and is a lot cheaper than taking a cab and takes the same amount of time.

Jan 14, 2005

Pink Jeep Tours

Pink Jeep tours provided guided tours to Red Rock Canyon and Valley of the Fire State Park. The company will pickup from any Las Vegas hotel. Its a good way to get out and see these great places without having to rent a car of your own.

goingsolo's Profile Photo
Dec 12, 2004

MGM Grand Airport Check-In

On my most recent trip to Las Vegas, I was staying at the MGM Grand and heard about their new Airport check-in procedure and thought I would give it a try.

Located in the South baggage claim area directly across from carousels #1 and #2, at the base of the escalators it was easy to find.

The staff were very friendly and courteous and quickly found my reservation and went through the various options available which include one way and return shuttles with or without porterage.

The whole process was very smooth and was reasonably priced.

With porterage service to hotel $12.00
Without porterage service $ 7.70

With porterage service $8.50
Without porterage service $4.40

The hours of operation for the hotel registration and ticketing desk are 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. daily, with porterage services available from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

The whole process was very smooth and was reasonably priced.

RECOMMENDED if you are staying at one of the group's hotels which include the MGM, Mirage & New York, New York

Paulie_D's Profile Photo
Oct 04, 2004

Top 5 Las Vegas Writers

Yaqui's Profile Photo

"Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
joiwatani's Profile Photo

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
goingsolo's Profile Photo

"A tourists view of Las Vegas"
kris-t's Profile Photo

"Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
doug48's Profile Photo

"las vegas"

Trolley Bus

A Trolley bus system runs from casino to casino (you have to find the stops, often at the back of a casino, which can sometime be tricky), but these buses are cheaper than the CAT ones ($1.75 a ride or $5 for unlimited one day travel). In my experience, the drivers are bit more tourist friendly than the CAT drivers (but that might just be sample error!). The trolley runs from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. daily, approximately every 15 minutes.

Emmjai's Profile Photo
Aug 18, 2004

An Experiment: Travel options for the LV Strip.

During our most recent trip, I wore a pedometer just to see how far I walked while in the city (the answer is a LOT!). One thing I did was to compare total steps on two days, with similar itineries; day one we used the New Monorail, and Day two we used more conventional, strip-based transport (CAT bus and Trolley).

The Result?

Monorail was more expensive, but more comfortable (better air conditioning, more seats, less crowded), but because you access the monorail through the casinos, the time time and distance it takes to get from the monorail station to the strip meant that the slower, strip based transport was cheaper, faster, and I actuallywalked about double the distance using the Monorail.

Emmjai's Profile Photo
Aug 17, 2004

Tired of Walking Take the Trolley

If you get tired of walking the Las Vegas Strip Trolley runs up the strip. It starts at the Tropicana with stops at all the major casinos and up town to Fremont Street. It also takes you to the Las Vegas Hilton & Convention Center. It costs $1.50 (exact change please). That's not free, but much cheaper than a cab or renting a car.

It runs 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. everyday every 15 minutes.

Goner's Profile Photo
Mar 26, 2004

Buses on Las Vegas Strip

We decided not to hire a car for our holiday as we researched the public transport available in las Vegas which is more efficient than driving. The main buses are CAT buses and no. 301 goes up and down the strip 24 hours a day approximately every 10 minutes. They also do buses out to the shopping malls on edge of city(likes Belz Factory Outlet). There is also a bus called the Strip Trolley but this is slower as it goes into each hotel and stops there before coming back out onto strip so is not the fastest service around. The price for the CAT 301 bus to get up and down the strip was $2 one way. Its great to just hop on, pay and then get off at another hotel further down strip. They were very efficient (and air condioned!)
and we really found them a great help to our holiday and did not miss havin a car at all. Have a look at this link which gives you prices , routes, times etc...

Silverflower's Profile Photo
Feb 03, 2004

Things To Do Near Las Vegas

The Neon Sign Museum

The Neon Musuem doesn't just consist of historical neon signs, but there is something else that is very special. The visitor center once was the La Concha Motel lobby, Mid-Century modern design...

Las Vegas Natural History Museum

Also in Las Vegas you can see some very interestings Museums.This is a picture taken at Natural History Museum. Others good museums are: Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art. Houdini's Museum. The Tomb and...

Fremont Street Experience

I went here twice when I was staying in Vegas, I found it so much better then the main vegas strip. The drinks are cheaper, the pubs had more "alternative" music playing. Two pubs had a cover band...

The Golden Gate Hotel

I love to head to The Golden Gate for their $.99 shrimp cocktail, which they have been serving since 1959. By 1991 they served a whopping total of 25 million! -OR- You could really splurge and...
Things to Do

After 20 years of marriage we decided to get our vows renewed on our holiday to Vegas in July. We chose the Elvis - Burning Love package at the Wee Kirk and we chose well! It was such a lovely...

Stratosphere Casino, Hotel & Tower

We went during late June in 2014, myself and my family. I will say that overall I was pleased with the experience and the view from up above will make you forget about the costs and the inconvenience...

Getting to Las Vegas

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!