Map &

Viator VIP: NYC Night Helicopter Flight and Statue of Liberty Cruise
From $249.00

Queens Tips (17)

Queens Food Tours - Flavors of Long Island City

Queens is a pretty confusing place and everything is scattered around. Took a food tour with Queens Food Tours ( which combines food, history and culture. We ate from some of the tastiest hidden gem places I ever came across in NYC. Place that I wouldve never found on my own. We eat from several different restaurants while learning about the area's history. I was really surprised to know how much is happening in Queens. HIGHLY RECOMMEND QUEENS FOOD TOURS!

Sep 06, 2016

Socrates Sculpture Park

Its a park that is also an art space. Movie Nights normally held on Wednesday normally displays local artists from varying descents or international and to go along with it they will serve the food the movie is from or where it takes place. There is also normally a dancer there to teach you the moves that come from that particular country. There are solstice celebrations, fitness programs and art workshops.

32-01 Vernon Boulevard at Broadway
Long Island City (Queens), NY 11106

Take N to Broadway walk to Vernon Blvd

iam1wthee's Profile Photo
May 30, 2009

Queens - a walking tour

Crossing East River to New York's borough Queens is equal to leaving tourist New York. Already in the subway, you'll see hardly any tourists but rather commuters on their way to or from work...
I took the "7" train to Queens because my guidebook and my hosts told me that I'd be able to get a trip through the whole world by just entering the borough this way. They weren't wrong: Irish, Latino, Indian, Caribbean neighbourhoods, all situated next to one another, spiced up with Turkish restaurants, Chinese laundries or the Uruguayan and Paraguayan bakery. I got out at 74th Street/Broadway only to find myself in India or Pakistan. I then walked back towards Manhattan along Queens Blvd. and passed the most different cultures lining up next to the street. It was an interesting experience to see the melting pot in action.
For this "walking tour" you should plan at least 1 hour. It is also possible to get out the subway further away from Manhattan and closer to Flushing. According to my guidebook, a world trip in Queens may also start at 111th Street where mainly Italians live. Yet another interesting information: In Queens's 313km², more languages are spoken than anywhere else in this world!

For more pictures, see my travelogue!

King_Golo's Profile Photo
Jan 17, 2008

The other 4 Boroughs

If you really want to get off the beaten path in New York City, go to the outer boroughs. A lot of tourists are probably afraid of places like the Bronx and Brooklyn, but if you go there and survive you'll see the side of NYC that most tourists miss. This is a picture of a pool in Queens that's probably not in your guide book.

Burbott's Profile Photo
Oct 04, 2006
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near New York City

130 Duane Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
85 West Broadway, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
95 West Broadway, At Chambers Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
52-54 W 36th Street, 10018
55 Church Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
2 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, New York, 10013, United States

The Bohemian Hall Garden

If you want to feel like in those beer gardens that you can find in Europe everywhere in summer you can't miss the Bohemian Hall Garden in Queens. One of the last beer gardens in New York, the Bohemian is an excellent place to get together with friends and taste a refreshing chec beer like pilsner or a delicious german beer like Warsteiner or Bittburger in a cozy and wide open place. Prices are reasonable for the beer and there's a grill where you can get burgers or chec sausages with "kraut" on the side. It's one of the best spots to watch the world cup soccer games. Wait for 4 more years.
Getting there is easy, take the N or W subway (yellow sign) heading Queens and you just get off on Astoria Blvd subway station. Walk one block heading north and turn to your left. That's 24th street where the beer garden is.

chichecito's Profile Photo
Jun 30, 2006

See a scale model of all the buildings in NY

From their website: The Panorama of the City of New York is the jewel in the crown of the collection of the Queens Museum of Art. Built by Robert Moses for the 1964 World’s Fair, in part as a celebration of the City’s municipal infrastructure, this 9,335 square foot architectural model includes every single building constructed before 1992 (*) in all five boroughs; that is a total of 895,000 individual structures. It is the thing that everyone who has visited the Museum recalls.

(Suggested) Admission is only $5 for adults and $2.50 for senior citizens and children (children under 5 are free).

While out here, also check out the UniSphere from the 1964 World's Fair. Stop in Flushing for Korean or Chinese food. Stop in the Lemon King for yummy Italian ice. Visit the Queens Botanical Garden -

(*) the Panorama was updated in 1992. The five boroughs are Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island.

Mar 10, 2006

Little India

New York has a large Indian community. I think the Indian food here is not as good as in London, but still not bad. There are a couple of concentrated areas known as Little India. The first (more shopping oriented) is in Manhattan around Lexington and the 20s. There is also another small block on 6th St near St Marks between First and Second Avenue with many cheap restaurants.

The largest and most off-the-beaten-path Little India is in Jackson Heights (Queens). Take the #7 train from Times Square or Grand Central to the Roosevelt Avenue station. See

Mar 07, 2006

Flushing, Queens, NYC

Ok. This is very out of the way of what you would expect of a tip on NYC. But I feel that this place is worth a mention.

China-Town can be found on Manhattan in all of its commercial glory, but you may find it to be a little 'put-on', for lack of another way of puting it. As I was going around it, I got the impression that people just didn't live there and because of this, it wasn't real for me.

I was lucky enough to have a local who was gracious enough to spend her time putting up with my eccentricities. She showed me where the lived-in China-town was. Flushing, Queens (found at the end of the ' 7 ' metro route) is this. This is where you are most likely to find that feeling that you may feel is lacking elsewhere. It worked for me. This place is fantastic, with everything written in Mandarin, and if you are lucky, English. The sights and sounds are so very different from Manhattan, I would recommend it. Oh, and it is cheaper as well.

Just remember - " Shey-Shey " (ph.) is thankyou. As English is not the primary language used here, it might help.

Maeniel's Profile Photo
Aug 31, 2004

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

cjg1's Profile Photo

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

". : New York City : ."

South of the border Cuisine

There are informal, moderately priced restaurants that offer Brazilian, Colombian, Argentinan, Peruvian and Mexican dishes in Queens.
I like Churrascaria Girasol, my bfrnd thinks its the closest you get to the Brazilian experience. They offer unlimited meat courses and a salad bar. (33-18 28th Ave. Astoria, Queens).
Another favorite is Tierras Colombianas, in Jackson Heights. The Mountain Plate is HUGE it includes steak, chicharron, yellow rice, beans, fried plantains , fried egg and the inescapable arepa. (82-18 Roosevelt Ave, Queens).
I haven't been to La Perricholi with my Peruvian friend, so I really dont know how close it is to Peruvian cuisine. I tried the ceviches which are fine but Lomo saltado captured my attention.
La Portena is a MUST. The Entrana is SUPERB. A $29.95 parrillada is a great value for 2, that is if you're not big eaters. (74-25 37th Avenue, Queens ).
There are a lot of Mexican Eateries along Roosevelt Ave. yet, none have convinced me.Once I had a nice cemita (kind of sandwich) in a grocery while looking for mexican ingredients. One of my fav's is
La Espiga. (42-13 102nd Street, Queens) .

Matravel's Profile Photo
May 06, 2004

Lil India

New York City is one of the most culturally diverse cities, but most tourists do not visit the many ethnic neighborhoods NY has to offer. THe most visited are CHinatown and Little Italy, but there is also Koreatown (around 32st street between broadway and 5th ave), Jackson Heights, and many more.

Jackson Heights is like a Little India. As soon as you get off the train, you will be surrounded by blocks and blocks of Indian and Pakistani restaurants, jewelry stores with blinding 24 Karat Gold necklaces adorning their windows, and numerous sari and lengha stores. If you like Indian food, you will find a large variety of cheap restaurants here. the places are good for lunch, not really dinner (no good drinks and manhattans more fun at nite)
One of the more popular ones is Jackson Diner (see the website below)

for more info, check out this article:

to get to jackson heights, take the E,F, R, V, G, or 7 train to 74th Street-Roosevelt Ave

P.S: for all of you outer borough-phobics, jackson heights is only about a 15 min train ride from the E at 51st and lex.

liqdstar's Profile Photo
Mar 19, 2004

Queens Museum of Art

Take the 7 train to Shea Stadium. Nearby is the Queens Museum of Art which has a special exhibit that displays a to-scale-replica of New York City. It even goes into so much detail that it has the watertowers on top of buildings included. It is very impressive and definetly worth a visit.

Feb 24, 2004

Kissena Park in Queens

well, if u wanna take a day trip

hey, queens is just a part of New York and it's huge, it's not just ghetto.. well there are bad areas and nice areas..

this park was pretty close to my friend's university

Feb 03, 2004

Things To Do Near New York City

City Tours - CityPass

We purchased a 7day pass online through the Qantas site which offered a discounted price. The pass allows you to go to the front of the line and save money along the way. There are a number of tourist...

African Burial Ground National Monument

During excavation for a new office building, in lower Manhattan, a burial ground of about 400 slaves was unearthed, and digging quickly stopped. Some 200 bodies still remain buried here, and in its...

Manhattan Municipal Building

Located near the Brooklyn Bridge as a gateway to the financial district, The Muni, as it is often called by New Yorkers, was one of the first skyscrapers built in Manhattan and the first to...
Things to Do

The Tribeca Open Artist Studio Tour was founded as a non-profit, artist-run organization with the mission to empower the working artists of Tribeca while providing an educational opportunity for the...

Ground Zero - World Trade Center

We walked over here and sat for a while after walking around the 9/11 Memorial. It was a gorgeous and warm afternoon and the breeze off the water was welcoming and refreshing. Directly across from us...

National September 11 Memorial

I tell most people what the volunteers at the museum told me - if you visit New York frequently, consider getting the membership. I wanted to see everything while I was there, but for myself and many...

Getting to New York City

We don't yet have an address for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Off The Beaten Path. Help us improve our info!