Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Garment District Special Access Shopping Tour
"This New York Garment Center Shopping Tour is a must for shoppers who want to experience one of New York's last wholesale districts at work. You'll visit the buildings of world-famous designers whose work impacts fashion the world over. Add a visit to the world's most famous trim store with your expert guide to lead the way and this is the perfect morning tour for fashionistas ""better clothing"" bargain hunters and the fashion curious.The best kept secret deals on fashion await with privileged access to six wholesale showrooms--not open to the general public--and hidden sample sales for the latest trends. No last season leftovers snag deals on women’s designer and “better wear” fashions anywhere from 50-80% below retail. You might even catch a designer at work in their inner sanctum.Amid all the designer deals and bargains
From $66.00

NYC Gangster and Mob Private Walking Tour
"Walk the streets where some of the most powerful gangs in New York City ruled. Gain insight into some of the most feared and ruthless gangs in NYC.Little Italy - where The Mafia or Cosa Nostra wreaked havoc and mob members were gunned down in where the infamous two Tongs would rage war on each other. The battles were so violent the streets became known as “Bloody Angle”. Explore the underground tunnels and hear stories of their wars. The Five Points – The Gangs of NY – As the Irish esc houses of ill-repute and crime flourished.Sites You'll Visit Ravenite Club Cigar Shop Old Umbertos Clam House Location FBI Hideout Pell and Doyer St.  Opium Den Blood Angle""New York City's historic past is plagued by dark events and powerful criminals who took the law into their own hands. Explore notorious places while learning about gangs who occupied the city's neighborhoods. Visit places ruled by some of the most powerfutitle=Highlights&1=Explore+notorious+places+while+learning+about+gangs+who+occupied+the+city%27s+neighborhoods&2=Gain+insight+into+some+of+the+most+feared+and+ruthless+gangs+in+NYC&3=Soak+up+the+atmosphere+on+a+walking+tour&4=Fully+narrated+tour&5=Informa""
From $245.00

Pizza Walking Tour of Manhattan
"New York City is a hub for fantastic pizza so how to choose where to go? On a pizza walking tour of course! Enjoy slices of pizza from three local pizzerias and learn a little history while you walk through historical Manhattan neighborhoods such as Little Italy Greenwich Village SoHo and the Lower East Side. Your pizza enthusiast guide has the insider information on where to go and what to order so relax and enjoy an afternoon in New York! Receive a pocket pizza journal as well!Crosstown Pizza Walking Tour (Little Italy and Greenwich Village)Visit Manhattan’s famous Little Italy which the majority of Italian immigrants called home in the early 1900s. See the streets that once overflowed with peddlers and fruit carts and where a peasants’ meal called ‘pizza’ made its debut in America. Visit America’s oldest pizzeria
From $40.00

Balthazar Tips (23)

Balthazar: Sunday Brunch with family and friends

Balthazar is a favorite restaurant of my boss' and we usually entertain clients here for either lunch or dinner so naturally he made reservations for us girls (me and my 2 co-workers) as a special thank you for all our hard work throughout the year. Since neither of us had been here for brunch, we decided to schedule it for a Pre-Christmas Sunday Brunch.

I enjoy coming to this restaurant. It is so FRENCH!! It is a typical Parisian restaurant with its large cavernous interior, cramped seating, dark walls and nice booths. The wait staff is always excellent, attentive but not overly bearing. They definitely don't rush you out of your table and only bring you your check when you ask for it.

The food here is always amazing, doesn't matter what you have. I have had their steak frites which I always compare it to ones I've had in Paris.

Reservations are recommended and they will take them as far as 1 month in advance.

We had a wonderful brunch with excellent food and great company, what more can you ask for for the holidays?

Favorite Dish We each ordered something different from the menu. I ordered the eggs benedict which was fantastic a cafe au lait (yum, miss that about Paris), Cathy and her boyfriend had the scrambled eggs with mushrooms and asparagus in a pastry puff (the pastry puff was so light and fluffy, yum), Vicky had the brioche French toast with bacon (the French toast was lite and airy) and Kristara had the sour cream warm waffles with wild berries (wow). OMG, we each sampled each other's choices and they were all amazing!!

We all decided we wanted some creme brulee which we all shared.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Gypsystravels
Mar 27, 2015

Balthazar: Great spot for breakfast!

we visited Balthazar whilst in New York with our friends for breakfast. The place was incredibly busy with both locals and tourists alike. Although it was a bit cramped the food was excellent and the staff incredibly efficient. The toilets are lovely and are like something you would find in a restaurant in France.
I wouldn't come here for a romantic meal but we enjoyed ourselves as we were with friends and it had a good lively atmosphere with people enjoying their breakfasts.
I would suggest booking - we were lucky and just walked in, but in a previous visit to NYC myself and my husband had tried to get lunch here but were told it was a 2 hour wait - so obviously very popular.
There was a good selection of foods and the coffee and juice were excellent. Despite the fact that the place was busy you didn't feel at all rushed. It is also in one of my favourite parts of town!

Favorite Dish We only had the full breakfast which was lovely - not too greasy and the sausages were meaty rather than fatty! The coffee was also excellent (although I have never had a bad coffee in NYC!)

clareabee's Profile Photo
clareabee
Apr 25, 2012

Balthazar: Great Brunch

One of my favorite spots to grab brunch, lunch or dinner. Balthazar is a great place to have bistro food, good desserts and excellent drinks. The inside is a little cramped with tables and booths right on top of each other. The bar area is small and often overcrowded. The menu has something for every palate and I have never had a bad meal here. The service is attentive which is amazing since the place is always packed. Reservations aren't the rule but we prefer to have one so we are guaranteed a table.

We recently took our friend Laura here for Sunday Brunch. As always the place was packed but we had a reservation and were seated promptly. It's always difficult to choose an entree but we managed eventually with Laura and I ordering the Eggs Benedict and Liz having the pancakes. I ordered a beer while Liz and Laura indulged in some cocktails ( a Bellini for my wife and I'm sure sure of the name of Laura's cocktail except that it had Vodka and Champagne). As always our food was delicious; we were happy that our friend throughly enjoyed her meal.

Favorite Dish My favorites here are the Eggs Norwegian. Poached eggs with smoked salon and hollandaise sauce. An amazing blend of flavors that always starts the afternoon off right. The scrambled eggs in pufed pastry with asparagus is also good but not my favorite breakfast item. Liz normally orders the French Toast when we are here for brunch along with her favorite Bellini Martini.

When we have dinner here the Steak au Poivre is really good . We like to get the escargot as an appetizer and they are delicious and very flavorful. We try to come on nights when the
Bouillabaisse is the special (Friday's) because Liz loves it so much. If we are here any other night she'll get the moules frites or steak frites.

Dessert here is unbelievable and the Pineapple Upside Down Cake and the Profiteroles are my favorit hands down. Liz loves her creme brulee so she always has to finish her meal with it as her dessert.

cjg1's Profile Photo
cjg1
Sep 20, 2010

The food is fantastic!: Balthazar

The food is fantastic. There are moments in the life of a food lover which will be remembered forever. This was one of them! Usually, I am an invisible observer in my reports, but this time it is different…

___________________________________

159 Grand Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
30 Kenmare Street, New York City, New York, 10012, United States
9 Crosby Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
341 Broome Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States

Balthazar: Am I in Paris or SOHO?

While the setting, decor and waitstaff's uniform's at Balthazar all scream Paris brasserie, this place is all New York. The place has a semi-frenetic pace, with white coated waiters running across black and white tiled floors, and the people watching is very good. It seems that every time I've been here (normally on business), the tables next to me are filled with attractive 30 and 40 something women enjoying champagne or white wine between a day of shopping. So, if you want to get a peek at the lunchtime habits of New York business people and socialites, Balthazar is a great choice.

Good food in a great setting with some top-notch people watching. One of my favorite lunch spots in the city.

Favorite Dish Steak Frites.

brewjohnson's Profile Photo
brewjohnson
Mar 11, 2010

Balthazar: A Little Bit of France in SOHO

My family eats here so much walking in with them is like walking in to Cheers with Norm. The food is fantastic, but it’s not really why people go here—really they go for the people-watching, which, even in NYC is above average here. It’s noisy and hard to have a conversation and the wait can be incredible, but still, it’s one of the most popular restaurants in the city. It’s certainly not cheap, but it’s doable if you plan.

Money-saving tip: They have about four different menus including a late afternoon menus that is a little less than the dinner menu and is great if you have theater tickets as it leaves you more than enough time for a leisurely meal and the ride uptown.

Call for reservations!!!

Favorite Dish Anything!

Paris92's Profile Photo
Paris92
Jan 30, 2009

Balthazar: Just Good

Went for Sunday Brunch. Menu was uninspried as was the Corned Beef Hash I ordered.
Coffee was disappointing as well. Wife thought the waffle was pretty good.
Been looking forward to going for a long time, so it was kindof a let down.

ssterling
Jan 18, 2008

Balthazar: all round good place.

has a bar like "cheers" which was busy on a friday evening when we visited.
good space and a high ceiling gives the place an "airy" feeling.
the menu is broad ebough to please a couple of teenagers also and has a pretty extensive although a bit expensive wine list.

Favorite Dish steak with garlic butter, this was nicely cooked and the garlic was not too strong.

Ferdia1
May 09, 2007

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Gypsystravels

"A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

shutterlust

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

toonsarah

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

Christophe_Ons

". : New York City : ."

Balthazar: Best Onion Soup

I have tried Onion Soup many times but this is by far the best I have ever had.I tried a few other things such as beef tartare but the Onion Soup is what I order when I visit NYC.

Favorite Dish Onion Soup with wonderful flavor and lots of gooey delicious cheese on top.ummmmmmmmmmm

mitzi2
May 05, 2007

Downtown Neighborhood: CAFE HABANA - Relatively cheap...

My restaurant ratings were written back in 2001 (too lazy to update):
CAFE HABANA - Relatively cheap restaurant with Cuban sandwiches. The one in Soho was in Lenny Kravitz's 'Again' music video.; Greenwich Village - 11 Abingdon Sq. (8th Ave.) Tel. 212.989.3600; SoHo/Little Italy
17 Prince St. (Elizabeth St.); Tel. 212.625.2001; Relatively Inexpensive;

CANTEEN [SoHo - Little Italy] - The decor is cool in the subterranean restuarant with bright orange seating. The food is decent, 142 Mercer St. (Prince St.) Tel) 212.431.7766, Moderate-Expensive;

L'ORANGE BLEUE
[SoHo - Little Italy] I've only had breakfast at this Moroccan-French restaurant, and it was soooooo good. They only took cash. 430 Broome St. (Crosby St.) Tel) 212.226.4999, Moderate-Expensive;

LOMBARDI'S [SoHo - Little Italy] - Thin crusts with coal-oven flavor.
32 Spring St. (bet. Mott & Mulberry Sts) Tel) 212.941.7994 Cheap-Moderate;

Mercer Kitchen [SoHo - Little Italy] - New American-French flair! I've not been there, but have heard rave reviews.
99 Prince St. (Mercer St.) Tel) 212.966.5454, Quite costly.;

VA TUTTO! [SoHo - Little Italy] - Small, dark, nice Northern Italian restuarant. I always have their fish plate and it's always great! The desserts are ok, just stick with the main dishes!
23 Cleveland Pl. (bet. Kenmare & Spring Sts.) Tel)212.941.0286, Expensive;

AQUAGRILL [SoHo] - Great seafood and raw bar. It's a small tight restaurant, so make reservations in advance. It's Expensive, but give it a shot! 210 Spring St. (6th Ave.) Tel) 212.274.0505;

BALTHAZAR [SoHo - Little Italy] - Huge French brasserie. The decor is cool--extensive raw bar. Breakfast/brunch is great--I always had the hazelnut waffles. If there a few of you, get a basket of their breads, including chocolate bread with Valrhona chocolate! 80 Spring St. (B'way & Crosby St.) Tel) 212.965.1414; 71

Favorite Dish CLINTON FRESH FOOD[Lower East Side] - Supposed to be a great seafood joint. Most people will not go down to the LES b/c it's not as bougie as other areas, but this restaurant is worth it. 71 Clinton St. (Rivington St.) Tel) 212.614.6960, Expensive.;

Ludlow is a cool strip of bars and hangouts. (bet. Rivington & Stanton Sts.)

EL CID [Chelsea] -The best tapas restaurant in the city. It's tight, so make reservations or else you'll have to wait some time. 322 W. 15th St. (bet. 8th & 9th Aves.) Tel) 212.929.9332, Moderate

jeaniek13's Profile Photo
jeaniek13
Apr 12, 2007

Balthazar: Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous!

Balthazar is one of the most noteable restaurants in NYC for good reason. The food, ambiance & service are excellent. It has a French Bistro feel. Very lively, relaxed & charming, despite it's size. I loved it. A wonderful, special date place. Make reservations well in advance. Go to Raoul's afterward for a nightcap.

Favorite Dish The raw bar is exquisite. Classic French cuisine. Great wines.

danasuzanne's Profile Photo
danasuzanne
Feb 20, 2007

Balthazar: Don't forget to order the French Onion soup

Their food is to die for. . . they make their own Alfredo sauceaand you'll love it on their home made pasta. Beautiful wines and liquors. Their shrimp and lobster looked big enough to pck me up. You can have the meal of your life right there and spend the better part of half the day talking about anything you want to. Do not worry about dressing up for this, go casual and you'll fit right in.

Your waiters are all dressed in black slacks and white shirts. The staff is extremely helpful and even when it is crowded, the waiting time is minamal. The selection is as complete as I've ever seen. If you can't find anything you like to eat then nothing will satisfy you. You will NOT be dissapointed with Balthazar.

The only thing negative would be that the isles between tables are so narrow it could be hard to navigate for people with dissabilities or wheel chairs. However, if you call in advance I'm sure they would accomdate you.

Favorite Dish I had the French Onion soup for an appetizer and the pasta w/ alfredo as my main course. Too much for me to eat.

pdoelger's Profile Photo
pdoelger
Jan 21, 2007

Things to Do Near Balthazar

New Museum

Completed in 2007, the New Museum building is one of the most original in NYC. The cubic building was designed by the renowned Japanese firm SANAA (Sejima + Nishizawa and Associates) and is perhaps...

Little Italy

The Italian American Museum is in the heart of NYC's Little Italy, at the intersection of Mulberry and Grand Streets. This building once housed the "Banco Stabile" which was found in 1885 to offer...

Soho District

SoHo is famous for artists' lofts, art galleries, shops ranging from trendy upscale boutiques to national and international chain store outlets. The area consists of 26 blocks and about 500 buildings,...

New York City Fire Museum

Situated in a decommissioned Fire House, this is a very nice museum dedicated to the history of fire fighting, including a sizeable memorial to those killed on 9/11. Admission is a suggested donation...

Lower East Side Tenement Museum

I don´t know did we choose the wrong tour or what, but this tour was far from what we thought! I think I waited this museum most from our trip, and it sounded just like my kind of thing and I was so...

Lower East Side

I had to do it. I had to drag my wife from Greenwich Village over to the seedy Lower East Side to get to the corner of Ludlow and Rivington. That's the photograph historically captured on the Beastie...

Getting to Balthazar