Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Sardi's Tips (8)

Sardi's: Legendary Haunt of the Theater Crowd

The name, Sardi's is virtually synonymous with Broadway. In the heart of "The Theater District," the restaurant is very popular for pre-theater and post-theater dining, and "opening-night" parties. The scores of framed, celebrity caricature drawings hanging in the restaurant are legendary and the Sardi's name in white script on a burgundy background leaves no doubt that you are at the famous restaurant. The famous signature is also frequently shown with the masks of comedy and tragedy. I'm not sure about now, but Sardi's used to be quite famous for Broadway stars dining here after the theaters closed at night.

My first visit to Sardi's took place in 1972 courtesy of my wonderful cousin who had also treated us to a performance of "Applause, Applause" on the evening of my first trip to New York City. Seated at a table on the first floor, I was simply in awe as actress Angela Lansbury made her way across the room. I believe another Broadway star also was in the restaurant that evening, but I don't recall his name. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I had for dinner that evening except for dessert which I thought was called "La Dolce Vita" but was probably "Boccone Dolce" which is still on the menu!

My second visit there was with my son while we were in New York on a Saturday bus trip to see the play, "The Odd Couple," with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick5S4. We had not made reservations for Sardi's, and in fact had actually planned on eating at another restaurant; but, when we passed Sardi's, I decided my son should experience the restaurant at least once.

We had no problem getting a table, but it was located on the second floor. Still, the room was warm and inviting and show-business caricature drawings filled the walls in this room too. Service was prompt and courteous.

Favorite Dish We were very happy with the good food and service. My son had a grilled chicken club with bacon, lettuce and tomato which could have easily fed two people, especially since french fries also came with it ($16 at the time!!). I had the pasta with chicken ( about $20 or so) which was quite good and and I believe it came with a salad. The portion was also generous enough to feed two people as well.

As lunch prices go in New York, I think the restaurant was probably comparable to other restaurants. I was glad my son had the opportunity to dine in this legendary place. As the service was very good, and unobtrusive, I tipped the customary full 20%. Unfortunately, we didn't see any Broadway stars dining here that day, but we had a great experience and I would dine there again if splurging.

The restaurant was also very generous with matchbooks emblazoned with their signature white name in script on a burgundy background as well as free postcards showing the interior of the restaurant (a custom in New York?). I was thrilled.

If you are traveling on a budget, you may still wish to splurge at Sardi's during lunch when the prices are somewhat less expensive and two can possibly share a meal.

starship's Profile Photo
starship
Apr 28, 2015

Sardi's: By far, the best French toast ever

We needed a place near the Helen Hayes Theater to grab a bite before the Xanadu Sunday matinee. As soon as we walked in (about a hour and a half before showtime), the maitre d' asked if we were going to the afternoon show and made sure we got out of there on time, but without rushing us. And the staff was attentive without being overbearing. Overall, it felt like a high-end restaurant but without being stuffy. We were dressed nicely for the show, but it seemed fairly casual overall.

Favorite Dish Since it was a Sunday afternoon, I opted for the brioche French toast with cinnamon sauteed apples. I don't know what they do to it (maybe it's the brioche bread), but it was out of this world, by far the best I've ever had and totally worth the $13.50. I have never eaten so slowly, but I didn't want my meal to end.

My friend had the Parma Prosciutto with Chilled Asparagus Drizzled with Truffle Oil and Jumbo Lump Crabcakes served with Napa Cabbage, Bell Pepper, Carrot, Cucumber, and Tatsoi Salad with Hot and Sour Dressing and Spicy Mango Aioli. (You can tell which of us is the more adventuresome eater.) I think we both agreed this was the best meal we had on our trip.

SisterMoon's Profile Photo
SisterMoon
Oct 21, 2007

Sardi's: A New York Institution!

I finally decided (after MUCH thought) to go to Sardi's for lunch. IT WAS TERRIFIC! Sardi's is just off Broadway, next to the Helen Hayes Theatre and it's been in operation for more than 80 years. It was wonderful---we were so happy we went there.
The staff was great, prices were pretty high (though probably average for NYC). My lunch totaled $29.00 without tip. It was worth every single penny, I swear, and I'd definitely go again.
Be sure to make a reservation--which you can do on their website, by the way.

Open Tuesday through Sunday for lunch and dinner. Late supper is served from Tuesday through Saturday.

Favorite Dish I had Maryland Crab Cakes with Chipotle Chile Aioli; Roasted Sweet Corn, Bell Peppers, Frisee and Mizzuna Salad drizzled with Roasted Vine-ripened Tomato and Oregano Vinaigrette -it was delicious! And then for dessert---Boccone Dolce! Ahhhhhhh, it was a slice of Heaven for sure :o)

paulapes's Profile Photo
paulapes
Aug 07, 2007

Sardi's: Must eat here!

The restaurant is amazing and it's in the Broadway district. The food was to die for, but expensive. Great service and experience.

Favorite Dish I can't pronounce most of the menu..haha. Everything I had was wonderful.

jgalb's Profile Photo

700 8th Avenue, New York City, 10036
270 W 43rd St, New York, NY 10036
234 West 42nd Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

Sardi's: Surpasses its reputation

You've heard about Sardi's all your life ... there's a reason. Best overall dining experience I've had in NY. We made reseravations only an hour earlier, yet we were treated as well as Rudy G. Wonderful staff and outstanding food. It's more than the food, though; it's the experience.

Favorite Dish I had a filet that was exactly as I ordered (medium-rare). I also ate some of my wife's fish (I forget which kind), and it was almost as good.

Tupelodan's Profile Photo
Tupelodan
May 14, 2004

Sardi's: Hey check that autograph out!

Sardi's is well known for being a restaurant where the celebrities of days gone by like to eat. I base that on seeing all the autographed caricatures on the walls, and the fact that I ran into Carol Channing and her family coming out as I was going in.
The decor was that of the dining rooms of old, red velvet, gold, plush... shabby chic perhaps?
The food is Italian and I don't recall anything that stuck out in my mind, either good nor bad.

Favorite Dish All the old standard Italian fare. I think I had the veal picata or something like that.

CdnJane's Profile Photo
CdnJane
Mar 18, 2004

Sardi's: Another New York Landmark

Located in the heart of the theater district, Sardi's more or less personifies Broadway dining.

Favorite Dish There are Hirschfield sketches of theatrical personnel all over the walls. Tioy may spot some very famous people here.

The food is good, but the place is expensive.

seagoingJLW's Profile Photo
seagoingJLW
Mar 18, 2003

Sardi's: Sardi's

This restaurant has been in business in NYC's theater district for almost 80 years. They are famous for the caricatures of stars from throughout the years that are framed and hung on the walls throughout the restaurant. Some people call this place a tourist trap but I thought it was kind of cool.

Kay_C's Profile Photo
Kay_C
Aug 25, 2002

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
"A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
cjg1's Profile Photo
"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo
"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo
""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo
". : New York City : ."

Things To Do Near Sardi's

Things to do
I couldn't decide if this should be a "Things to Do" or "Tourist Trap" tip! My cousin and his wife's hotel was right by here so we cruised through it, checked out the new pedestrian walkway (Great...
Things to do
We are the best producer of HIGH QUALITY fake and real documents. With over a billion of our documents circulating around the world. We offer only original high-quality passports, driver's licenses,...
Things to do
On Times Square, inside Toys 'R Us, there is a complete wheel where you can ride on. If traveling with kids to New York City, this cannot be forgotten. The wheel is strategically located so you're...
Things to do
I didn't think Madame Tussaud's in Times Square was nearly as extensive or interesting as London. It was expensive, but there are discounts available. We started by walking into the opening night...
Things to do
In days gone by, Bryant Park was in need of some love. Although I did love going there, I perhaps did so for all the wrong reasons. Now, I walk through here and reminisce about days and brain cells...
Things to do
We took the Radio Hall Tour as it was in our New York City Pass Book but also because we are interested in history and this hall has certainly got some history! The tour guide took us through the...

Getting to Sardi's