Map &

Broadway Theatre District and Times Square Walking Tour
From $35.00

Shake Shack Tips (18)

Shake Shack: Gelato Shakes

The lines are very intimidating; usually they move along but the food is well worth it. The lines are friendly & part of the NY experience. There is a good selection of fast, tasty and inexpensive food for everyone. Beer, wine, veggie burgers, addictive fries, hot dogs, interesting toppings and the very special shakes. We're amazed to see how busy the Shake Shack in Atlanta and Florida have become too!

Favorite Dish The gelato shakes are like nothing I've ever tested. The veggie burgers are mushrooms stuffed with cheese very juicy & tasty. I'm always surprised by the extensive wine list, there is even an express window just for drinks.

apbeaches's Profile Photo
Jan 11, 2016

Shake Shack: Burgers are so yummy!

Shake Shack is a chain restaurant with 5 locations in NYC, Miami, Sarasota Springs and a new location opening in 2011 in Westport, CT. They serve some of the best mouth watering burgers you will ever experience. All locations have the same menu items with burgers, hot dogs, fries, all sorts of shakes, frozen treats as well as beer and wine.

This is a self serve location where you place your order at the counter and then are given one of those devices that alert when your food is ready. You then pick up your meal at the counter and either take it to go, or find a place to enjoy your burger. The wait is usually about 5-10 minutes and if you decided to eat in, while you are waiting look for a place to sit either inside or in their outdoor atrium which is quite nice. Prices are very reasonable (better than having a burger at Burger King or the likes).

There is usually a line stretching out the door, but service is quick and friendly and you won't have to wait too long to place your order!

Favorite Dish I love their burgers which are cooked medium, yum, and are usually served plain, unless you order a special like their Shackburger which is awesome, served with american cheese, lettuce, tomato and the special Shack sauce (a blend of mayo)...quite good. I also like their fries with some cheese which is quite good.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
Mar 27, 2015

Shake Shack: Burgers and Shakes

A must burger joint to visit when you're in the city. The line gets pretty long even during off hours here at the Madison Square Park location. So be prepared to wait a while at this location. If you don't have much time, they just opened one in JFK. Better to get some burgers and shakes there if you don't want to wait a long time.

I always get the shack stack, can't go wrong with mushroom and cheese with your burger. We've tried the caramel shake, very good! Not a big fan of the fifty fifty (half tea half lemonade). You might not be able to find a table to eat around here since it's so crowded. But don't worry, there are plenty of benches around the park to sit and enjoy your burgers.

We're from Los Angeles, so we have In and Out burgers at home. I prefer In and Out than Shake Shack. But my wife likes Shake Shack better. Which do you prefer?

acebruin's Profile Photo
Dec 20, 2013

Shake Shack: Popular Fast Food

Shake Shack serves hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries, milkshakes, frozen custard and similar fast foods. There are seventeen Shake Shacks in the United States, seven in New York City. Named “Best Burger 2005” by New York magazine, Shake Shack was conceived and developed by chef Danny Meyer, who operates restaurants in the Union Square area.

The Madison Square Park Shake Shack opened in July 2004 and it was the first. The Madison Square Park Shake Shack building was designed by Sculpture in the Environment, a Manhattan architectural and environmental design company.

During pleasant mild weather, at lunchtime and on weekends, the wait in the queue can be to more than an hour.

von.otter's Profile Photo

700 8th Avenue, New York City, 10036
250 West 43rd Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States
343 44th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States
346 W. 46th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

Shake Shack: Shake Shack in Theater District: AWESOME!

I love this Shake Shack's location... right in the heart of the Theater District and a short walk from Times Square! The food is absolutely delicious. I always get their signature ShackBurger, which is cooked just right with fresh ingredients and their amazing "ShackSauce..." pair this with a side of fries and a shake and you're all set. I've had the chocolate, black and white, and signature "Fair Shake," all of which were great! It's also not too expensive and you can tell the place is extremely popular based on the large crowd it draws. Sometimes this means you have to wait on a decent sized line to order your food.. but I've been using so that I can see when there's either no line or a very short wait. Definitely try their food, it's worth it!

Jul 12, 2012

Shake Shack: I wouldn't queue again!

We visited the location not far from times square for a bite to eat before we went to see War Horse - I would never venture inside the place again!!!! No tables, people hanging about like vultures waiting for one, people lingering at tables when they have long since finished their food (get out folks there are other people waiting and it isn't a romantic take your time type place!), and long queues and long waits for what is in my opinion VERY average food, nothing special at all, and i certainly wouldn't bother going again, or recommend anybody else going. There is nothing worse than trying to balance your try of food whilst on the lookout for a table - not a pleasant dining experience at all - and to add insult to injury because we were rushing because of the ridiculous wait i ended up with indigestion!

If you do insist on going I would opt for the location in the park.

Favorite Dish Probably the milkshakes but honestly Mcdonalds are just as good!

clareabee's Profile Photo
Apr 25, 2012

Shake Shack - Madison Square Park: Best place for lunch!

When you are traveling through New York, you should make a stop at the Shack. I was going there, becauset this is the greatest park snack. The mushroom burger was great, the thick shakes are very rich, but, you have to have about a half an hour - the lines are long!
The only thing that wasn't great was the fries. Huge line, but worth it.
The restaurant was opened in July of 2004, and was conceived and developed by Danny Meyer's Union Square Hospitality Group.

Favorite Dish The mushroom burger

csordila's Profile Photo
Jan 08, 2012

Shake Shack: In Madison Square Park

Ok..I only sought this place out because it was recommended in my Rough Guide. I visited NY in a heatwave, with temperatures over 100 degrees some days, and eating anything was not high on my agenda. But as luck would have it I was in the area at a time I actually felt a bit hungry (mid-afternoon NY time, evening meal time for my bodyclock) so I thought I'd try it out.

The Shake Shack is actually within Madison Square Park, at the East 23rd Street end. 'Shake' presumably derives from milkshakes, but they also give you a mobile device which vibrates when your order is ready to be collected...quite clever, given that seating extends some distance from the 'shack' itself (although the servers have very loud voices).

I just had a simple burger. I'm not a fan of such food but it was really excellent. The menu is quite extensive, and if the queue had not been so long I would definitely have tried the 'concrete', a type of ice-cream/dessert thing.

But that's the point...the queue was *very* long, even though I visited mid-afternoon. This says a good deal about how excellent the Shake Shack is (most people in the queue seemed to be New Yorkers), but poses problems..because if it was a 20-minute wait to be served at mid-afternoon mid-week how long must the queues be at busy times??

Whatever, if you are in the area and the queue isn't too unbearably long then I do recommend you try out some of the Shake Shack's offerings. Well worth it. :-)

leics's Profile Photo
Aug 04, 2011

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

cjg1's Profile Photo

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

". : New York City : ."
View Member

Shake Shack: Good, But I Don't Get The Hype....

I've seen this place recommended here on VT for having the "best" shakes in NYC. When I had out-of-town visitors recently we decided to stop in for a late lunch. The place was absolutely packed. We had to wait a while for a table and then go to the counter to place our order. We were given a pager to let us know when our order would be ready. It took a long time to get our order. The shake was very small - as were the (single) hamburgers. The cheese fries had so little cheese on them that I thought they were an order of regular fries.

This is really not a place I'd recommend other than to say if you're in the area of one and it's not too crowded, check it out and make up your own mind. My shake, by the way, was definitely not the best I've ever had - wasn't even the best I've had in NYC.

Open 11 a.m. to midnight.

Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
Aug 01, 2011

Shake Shack: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down- You Decide

This is a well-known fast-food style place serving, of course, milk shakes, and all of the associated foods one would expect- burgers, hot dogs, etc.
Some claim the best burgers in NYC are served here, others disagree. So it's important you go and experience it for yourself. Particularly at lunch time and to a lesser degree at dinner there will be a long line. So if time is an issue try to go by at off hours. Especially in warm weather it's the typical New York experience to sit at one of the regulation-green Parks Department tables and watch life go by.
It's very near the Flat Iron building, and a short walk over to Gramercy Park.

There is a second Shake Shack behind the Museum of Natural History, at Columbus Ave and 77th St. It has limited indoor seating or you eat your meal over in Central Park.

And now there is a third Shake Shack in the Theater District, 691 8th Ave at 44th Street.

TexasDave's Profile Photo

The Shake Shack: French fries al fresco

"Al Fresco" is not someone I know from high school! It means eating outdoors in jolly old Manhattan, at Madison Square Park, on East 23 St. It's right across the street from the Flatiron Building. in the -- what else? -- Flatiron District. This monument of malteds offers classic American fare at reasonable prices. Tourists and locals blab away the time during the up to 25 minute waits on line. This is what makes the Shake Shack a New York experience. The tourist discovers that NYC is not cold and impersonal, but hungry and chatty. Once you place your order, you have the time to stake your claim to an outdoor table. This is because you are given a beeper-like device (remember when?!) which sounds off when your order is ready for pick up. They have recently opened up a sit-down Shake Shack on 366 Columbus Avenue, on the Upper West Side. -- and they STILL line up outside.

Favorite Dish The "concrete" is their shake. If you try to drink it with a straw, your lungs will collapse! It's best consumed with a spoon.

footstool's Profile Photo

Shake Shack: Shake Shack Take Two

Just done a bit of Googling and found this article on the second NYC Shake Shack which is due to open very soon (Oct. 2009) on the UWS: As it has indoor seating, I assume that it will be open all year round and it will sell the same mouth watering burgers!

It's now officially open - here's one of the first reviews: It sounds like it's got everything you would want!

Maidstone_Nic's Profile Photo

Things To Do Near Shake Shack

Madame Tussauds

I didn't think Madame Tussaud's in Times Square was nearly as extensive or interesting as London. It was expensive, but there are discounts available. We started by walking into the opening night...

Times Square

I couldn't decide if this should be a "Things to Do" or "Tourist Trap" tip! My cousin and his wife's hotel was right by here so we cruised through it, checked out the new pedestrian walkway (Great...

Walt Disney Store

We are the best producer of HIGH QUALITY fake and real documents. With over a billion of our documents circulating around the world. We offer only original high-quality passports, driver's licenses,...

Toys R Us

On Times Square, inside Toys 'R Us, there is a complete wheel where you can ride on. If traveling with kids to New York City, this cannot be forgotten. The wheel is strategically located so you're...

Bryant Park

In days gone by, Bryant Park was in need of some love. Although I did love going there, I perhaps did so for all the wrong reasons. Now, I walk through here and reminisce about days and brain cells...

Radio City Music Hall

We took the Radio Hall Tour as it was in our New York City Pass Book but also because we are interested in history and this hall has certainly got some history! The tour guide took us through the...

Getting to Shake Shack

7 Locations to choose from in New York.

• Sunday 11:00 to 00:00