Map &

New York City Luxury Bus Tour and Harbor Cruise
From $109.00

Street Vendors Tips (8)

Street Vendor Jewelry: Street Vendor Jewelry

And jewelry from street vendors. Tried my friend, Kristin's, suggestion of haggling over the price then walking away but that didn't work at the first 2 tables. Maybe we didn't show enough interest or we were in the wrong part of town (i.e. NOT Canal Street). Who knows? Luckily, at a 3rd place they sold the tacky, gold heart-shaped earrings Megs desired much cheaper than the first two. The lady who sold them to us noticed my Violent Femmes t-shirt and proclaimed that I was a woman after her own heart (but that they were after her time, she being 72). After talking to her about them a bit more, I realized that *she* thought they were a feminist movement. Hmmm. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was an all-male folk punk band (you may have heard one of their songs on a Wendy's commercial a few years back, the music from Blister in the Sun - check them out on Spied a 50-something woman wearing a Smiths tee and I remarked to Meagan that this woman was probably Megs' age (16) when The Smiths first started!

BeatChick's Profile Photo
Oct 16, 2008

Malcolm Shabazz Harlem Market

It is an open air market that has various stalls selling mainly various African items. You can buy sculpture, baskets, oils, incense, soap, pottery, cloths, clothing, and jewelry. There is even a booth where you can have your hair braided. Some of the vendors are pushy but not all. They are not overly aggressive.

What to buy The fabrics sold in the second store in the first isle is where you can buy beautiful prints. If you watched the TV show "Trading Spaces" this is where Laurie shopped.

I found the oils to be less expensive than the ones in the health food stores downtown.

All items can be bartered especially if you buy more than one item.

In bad weather a lot of the shops will not be open but sometimes it is easier to barter with the few that are.

What to pay Prices vary depending on the item. You can buy a box of incense for $1 and a 4piece leather outfit for $125

iam1wthee's Profile Photo
Mar 10, 2005

Street vendors: Great bargain on black and white prints

Street vendors have been a hallmark of New York city since the 1860’s, when the first pushcart peddlers began roaming the Lower East Side. Over ten thousand people currently make their living selling their wares on the streets of New York, in every neighbourhood.

You can have a great bargain on black and white prints. We have bought one and when we got home we found a beautiful frame for it. The pictures look exclusive when they are in a quality frame. Everyone who comes to our house and sees the picture gives us compliments.

You can find the street vendors near Central Park and Fifth Avenue and throughout the city.

Dutchnatasja's Profile Photo
Jan 13, 2005

Street Vendors: Lots of Variety!

When you first arrive in New York you won't have to walk too far before you come across some street vendors showing off their wares.

Some of it's quite good but do be careful to inspect the quality. And when it comes to artwork, realize that the same thing is likely available from dozens of other vendors throughout the city. So take your time to compare prices.

Personally, I like making all my purchases in the last two hours before I head back to my hotel - less to carry!

rmdw's Profile Photo
Aug 27, 2004
Sponsored Listings

Hotels in New York City

130 Duane Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
85 West Broadway, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
95 West Broadway, At Chambers Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
52-54 W 36th Street, 10018
55 Church Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
2 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, New York, 10013, United States

Bring Cash

On any given day, you can go down the main streets of Soho: Prince and Spring between Broadway and West Broadway, and West Broadway itself, and see an array of artists' works, hats, jewelry and other interesting things. Just make sure you have cash, as it's much easy to negotiate a deal with street vendors when they dont have to worry about charge card charges.

What to buy Everything you see in these pictures.

What to pay That's up to the vendor and your negotiation skills.

latmedia's Profile Photo
May 12, 2004

Stalls: Souvenirs

not exaclty a shop but loads of street vendors mooching off innocent shoppers. these stalls are special because they all sell the same stuff but have different prices, i learned that the hard way!

What to buy i bought a 3D glass crystal of typical NYC sights. it was pretty and makes a great gift for others

What to pay i saw something priced at $28 in the shop at the top of the Empire State Building. the next day i went shopping and saw the exact same thing for $5 on a street stall!!! definately shop around!!

arv1's Profile Photo
Nov 13, 2003

Stree Vendor: Bargain Bamboo

What to buy For a while I was creating these neat little bamboo arrangements in tiny ceramic planters surrounded by small smooth pebbles. It's called Lucky Bamboo, and can be quite expensive pre-made. I was able to purchase the bamboo very cheaply from the street vendors on Canal Street, and make my own. They are a nice bright green with the leaves still on. To care for them you can just put them in water with marbles or smooth stones. They can also be cut into smaller pieces.

What to pay You can probably get 3 4-ft. pieces for around $5. You may also find the swirly bamboo for slightly more money.

nicolettart's Profile Photo
Jul 14, 2003

76th and Columbus: Sunday Flea Market

A huge market with indoor and outdoor vendors selling wonderful imports and handmade crafts as well as antiques and books. It's called "greenflea" because there are farmers selling fresh produce as well as flea market vendors.

What to buy Great antiques- records, jewelry and clothing.

TRimer's Profile Photo
Sep 07, 2002

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

cjg1's Profile Photo

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

". : New York City : ."

Things To Do in New York City

City Tours - CityPass

We purchased a 7day pass online through the Qantas site which offered a discounted price. The pass allows you to go to the front of the line and save money along the way. There are a number of tourist...

African Burial Ground National Monument

During excavation for a new office building, in lower Manhattan, a burial ground of about 400 slaves was unearthed, and digging quickly stopped. Some 200 bodies still remain buried here, and in its...

Manhattan Municipal Building

Located near the Brooklyn Bridge as a gateway to the financial district, The Muni, as it is often called by New Yorkers, was one of the first skyscrapers built in Manhattan and the first to...
Things to do

The Tribeca Open Artist Studio Tour was founded as a non-profit, artist-run organization with the mission to empower the working artists of Tribeca while providing an educational opportunity for the...

Ground Zero - World Trade Center

We walked over here and sat for a while after walking around the 9/11 Memorial. It was a gorgeous and warm afternoon and the breeze off the water was welcoming and refreshing. Directly across from us...

National September 11 Memorial

I tell most people what the volunteers at the museum told me - if you visit New York frequently, consider getting the membership. I wanted to see everything while I was there, but for myself and many...

Getting to New York City

We don't yet have an address for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Shopping. Help us improve our info!