Chelsea, New York City

4.5 out of 5 stars 23 Reviews

Chelsea, New York, NY 1.888.VISIT.NY
Don't miss these tickets and tour deals!
Get best Chelsea rates on Viator
    by alyf1961

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

Chelsea Art Galleries

by etfromnc Written Jun 29, 2012

As usual, wherever I start out in New York City, I do not have the time nor money to do everything that I would like to do. The week before Christmas of 2009, I went to New York to meet a VT friend and to do some Christmas shopping. I stayed at the Chelsea Hotel to be close, but not too close, to my VT friend, and although we visited the Statue of Liberty and nearly froze to death, I did spend most of my time in Chelsea, where I discovered an amazing assortment of art galleries. All had free entry and most had both modestly priced and verrrry expensive art for sale, I never felt any pressure to buy. I found the ones which I visited simply by wandering but since returning home I have discovered that I was in New York’s most concentrated area for a gallery crawl and that they are mostly in the 20s Streets between 10th and 11th Avenues. I have also discovered that you can access a sort of gallery guide on-line by checking westchelseaarts.com or Gallery Guide for listings. In addition to offering free admission, if you can time your crawl for Thursday evenings that tends to be a night for wine-and-cheese openings.

Address: In the 20s between 10th & 11th Ave

Website: http://westchelseaarts.com

• Photography

• Art Galleries/Trapeze School/Highline Park

by Nightowl32 Written Dec 10, 2011

What a great area, it has completely changed from when we were here last. Granted that was some time ago. The area is bustling and seemed to be full of travelers from all over. Walk the Highline down to a school that will teach you trapeze tricks. Only in New York could you stumble across that.

some of the art galleries we visited and loved:

Pace Gallery
    Agora Gallery
    Betty Cuningham
    Chelsea Art Museum

and so many others to even remember all of their names. These were just some we took postcards from as souvenirs.

Address: 10th Ave

Directions: West Side of Manhattan

• Museum Visits
    • Luxury Travel

• Chelsea on a Budget

by MEM602 Written Jul 15, 2011

New York City Bound? Want to stay on the cheaper side? Theres lots to do, and great places to stay in Chelsea without breaking the bank.

For hotels you have Chelsea Inn on 17th street ($150/night). It's a cheap, clean and safe hotel. The staff were very helpful. Its a quick walk to Union Sq where we saw Fuerza Bruta ($80/ticket)

The high line park is a great (& free) thing to do during the day. Plus the west side has parks and trails that make for a nice walk. The intrepid museum is along the path. They show movies sometimes during the summer on the runway but it was sold out when we got there. At night we caught an improv show at upright citizens brigade ($10/ticket).

Hope this helps.

Address: 46 W 17th Street

Website: http://www.chelseainn.com/

• School Holidays

• Chelsea Market

by marmi138 Updated May 31, 2011

When you are racing around NYC like a mad thing, trying to pack as much as you can into your visit, take the time to stop and go to the Chelsea Market, this gem is an amazing, peaceful, awe-inspiring foodie haven. Cupcakes to die for and real gelato to kill for!

Address: # # 75 9th Avenue (Between 15th and 16th Streets)

Directions: See http://chelseamarket.com/visitors/

Website: http://www.chelseamarket.com/

• Luxury Travel

• Blueshoes29's Profile Photo

Art Gallery Hopping in Chelsea

by Blueshoes29 Written Dec 31, 2009

When my husband, Bill and I both retired we promised our self a trip to the "Big Apple." We spent days shopping in SoHo, posing in Times Square, strolling through Central Park...it was incredible. The tourist booth recommended that we check out a new park that was just built on the Western waterfront, called "the Highline." Due to the unbearable muggy August day, Bill and I thought it best to duck into some of the world famous Chelsea art galleries.

Now I dont remember the name of all of the galleries, there were a lot! But, we came across the most gorgeous painting in Agora Gallery, I only know the name, because the postcard from the gallery is still hanging on our fridge. :) A constant reminder that we should travel as often as possible. I would highly recommend exploring the galleries of Chelsea as this was the highlight of our trip.

Address: 530 W 25th Street, New York, NY 10001

Directions: Chelsea

Phone: 212--226-4151

• Museum Visits
    • Seniors

• clareabee's Profile Photo

an area full of fantastic restaurants!

by clareabee Updated Dec 7, 2009

We were staying right around the corner from here so had a wander around. This is a nice area with some fantastic restaurants - whatever type of food you wanted to eat you could probably find it here.

The place has a nice feel to it and felt totally safe wandering around here even at night.

There were some unusual shops round here and a fabulous flower shop...should you happen to need one!

• MM212's Profile Photo

IAC Building

by MM212 Updated Oct 16, 2009

Completed in 2007, the IAC Building was one of the first buildings in New York City to challenge the tired old straight and perpendicular lines in architecture that have long been the city's norm. It was designed by the renowned architect, Frank Gehry, whose incredible creations have been revolutionary around the world. This was his first work in NYC, but is said to be one of his most tame creations! Since its construction, New York has seen a growing number of new constructions that dare to challenge the harsh lines of NYC. The IAC Building is located on the West Side Highway in Chelsea, by the Hudson River, and houses the headquarters of the media company IAC.

Address: Chelsea: West Side Highway

Website: http://www.iacbuilding.com

IAC Building by Frank Gehry (Oct 09) The IAC Building, seen from the Highline Reflections and curves (Oct 09) Few straight lines (Oct 09)
    • Architecture

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

by alyf1961 Written Jan 27, 2009

The Chelsea hotel on west 23rd street has an interesting history. Its residents have included:-
    Bob Dylan, who died here of alcohol poisoning in 1953.
    Sid Vicious, who stabbed his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, to death here on 12th October 1978.
    Arthur C Clarke, Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix

Address: 222 west 23rd street

Phone: 212 243 3700

Website: http://www.hotelchelsea.com

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Chelsea Hotel

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2008

Just like the surrounding area, we found the Chelsea Hotel had been considerably smartened up since we last saw it, and it now looks a bit like the tourist attraction it has become, as well as (I imagine) a rather nice place to stay.

This late nineteenth century building has been a hotel since 1905 and the list of famous past residents reads like a roll-call of some of the most risqué celebrities of the twentieth century: Eugene O’Neil, Thomas Wolfe, Janis Joplin, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, the Grateful Dead, William Burroughs, Jasper Johns, Patti Smith, Arthur Miller, Dylan Thomas (who died here after drinking at the White Horse Tavern – see my Off the Beaten Path tip). Arthur C. Clarke wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey while in residence, and Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols is thought by many to have stabbed his girlfriend, Nancy Spungen, to death here in 1978. Many of these are commemorated on bronze plaques either side of the door, although we spotted that Sid Vicious was a noticeable absentee!

We popped inside to the hotel lobby, where several striking paintings and other modern art are displayed. Comfortable sofas and easy chairs create a relaxed atmosphere which seemed a little at odds with the hotel’s reputation, as did the abundance of Apple Macs in use by today’s guests.

Out of curiosity I checked out the prices of a stay here, which range from $159 for a room with a shared bathroom in winter, to close to $500 for a suite or two bedroom apartment in summer. Something to consider for a future visit to the city perhaps?

Address: 222 W 23rd Street, New York 10011

Directions: On West 23rd Street, between 7th and 8th Avenues. The nearest subway stations are those at 23rd and 8th (lines C and E) and at 23rd and 7th (line 1)

Phone: (212) 243 3700

Website: http://www.hotelchelsea.com/

The Chelsea Hotel Plaque commemorating Dylan Thomas Inside the Chelsea Hotel Inside the Chelsea Hotel

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

"I don't want to go to ..."

by toonsarah Written Nov 12, 2008

Possibly one of the city’s most famous (and at times notorious) districts, we found that Chelsea had been smartened up a bit since our last visit in 1982 but still retained something of its original air of decadence, even mid Friday morning!

Chelsea lies roughly from 39th to 15th Streets, between the Hudson River and Fifth Avenue. It has long been home to some of the city’s less conventional residents, and was considered gay-friendly long before such attitudes could be taken for granted in even the most cosmopolitan of cities. Past famous inhabitants of course include guests, some of them notorious, at the legendary Chelsea Hotel (see separate tip) but these days, following “gentrification”, the area attracts a wide range of inhabitants, from artists and young professionals. It’s a great place for lovers of contemporary art as there are numerous small galleries dotting its streets. It’s also a great place for photographers as there are still enough quirky sights to catch the eye, and the lens. I loved the window displays in this vintage clothes shop on 23rd Street, for instance. We also spotted a small “Park for a Day” event which seemed a great idea (see my Local Customs tip for more about this) and had a coffee in a lovely café, the Madeleine Patisserie, also on 23rd.

Directions: We used the subway stations at 23rd and 8th (lines C and E) and at 23rd and 7th (line 1)

Vintage clothes shop, Chelsea Vintage clothes shop, Chelsea Diner on 23rd Street (by Chris)

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Chelsea Galleries

by martin_nl Written Apr 16, 2007

Some streets in Chelsea are lined with galleries! You should check some of them out since there are some nice pieces of art to be found. There are over 200 galleries here, so there should be couple with stuff that you like aswell. Galleries are usually open between 10am and 6pm Tuesday till Staurday. You can go into pretty much every door at this side of the city, unless the door is marked with 'this is not a gallery'. Most of them are on ground floor so you should be able to see what is a gallery and what not. Most galleries are located between Tenth Ave and West End Ave on 21st till 26th Sts. My favourite gallery was DJT Fine Art on 231 Tenth Ave (between 23rd & 24th Sts). They have work here by Andy Warhol, Pablo Picasso and others. My favourite piece here was called Cabeza by Jean-Michel Basquiat. Check out some of my pictures to see what you can expect in the Chealsea Galleries. Have fun!

Directions: Most galleries are located between Tenth Ave and West End Ave on 21st till 26th Sts.

Crazy stuff in the window Inside one of the galleries Worth checking out This was my favourite gallery One of the galleries exterior

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Chelsea Market

by martin_nl Written Apr 16, 2007

Not sure if I should put this under restaurant or under things to do. Well it is a thing to do to visit the Chelsea Market. There is a lot to see and especially to eat here. Check out Hale and Hearty soups. the Green Market organic food cafe and apparently you will find the best Thai food over here too. Definitely worth checking out!!

Address: 75 Ninth Ave between 15th & 16th Sts

Website: http://www.chelseamarket.com/

Halloween time What you can do with a pumpkin

• April1985's Profile Photo

Art Shows

by April1985 Updated Aug 15, 2006

Chelsea is a great spot for Art shows. You can find the weirdest stuff. Either its good art, or bad art. You decide. I found out one of my favorite artists was coming to town, so of course i had to go, and share it with you of course! Miss Van, a grafiti artist.

• I-Believe-I-Can-Fly's Profile Photo

Chelsea And Its Cafes

by I-Believe-I-Can-Fly Updated Jun 1, 2006

Chelsea is located on the West Side of Manhattan, to the south of Hell's Kitchen and the Garment District, north of Greenwich Village, and north-east of the Meatpacking District that centers on West 14th Street.

Chelsea was home to the original motion picture industry and photographers for years. Today it’s one of the city’s trendiest residential, mixing with art galleries and cafes.

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Chelsea Peirs experience

by meaganelizabeth Written Aug 24, 2005

chelsea piers is a sport center we have here in New York. Here is roller skating, ice skating, gym, the lighthouse restaurant and my two favorites, driving range and wall climb. The special thing about chelsea peirs driving range, is #1 you hit balls out onto a plank that extends into the water, as you look at the jersey city skyline. It is just such a beautiful view. It is also the only driving range in new york. As is the climbing wall the only one that I know of. Its fun for adults and children.

Directions: Chelsea Piers