map
chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

3 New York Neighborhoods Tour : Soho Chinatown and Little Italy Tour
"The 3 Neighborhoods Tour will give you a unique insight into three very different places in Manhattan. We start in Soho one of NYC's trendiest neighborhoods. Learn about the area's real estate and how this area became on of the most expensive places to live on the island. Stroll into the heart of Soho and see some of the most posh bakeries shops and restaurants that Soho has to offer. We then walk down Greene Street and talk about why Soho has such unique and beautiful architecture. See the Haughwout Building and the Old Police Station before we head to our next neighborhood.We make a qu gelato pizza and more! Mingle with locals and get the inside scoop about famous spots on Mulberry Street.Chinatown is our last neighborhood. Visit the Mahayana Buddhist Temple and get a peek of the 16-foot Golden Buddha. We pass the Manhattan Bridge and walk
From $35.00

Chinatown Food Tour and Historic Downtown Walking Tour
"You'll experience both a Chinatown Food Tour and a Historic Downtown Walking Tour in one amazing experience.ChinatownExperience immigrant history along with incredible food as you walk through Chinatown. We’ll show you the oldest tenement bui and bring the culture alive both old and new. New York's Chinatown is a complex and diverse community. We’ll show you the hidden gems of New York City's Chinese restaurants that you would most likely miss on your own. You can get the finest Thai Vietnamese and Malaysian food here in Chinatown as well if you want to explore even more culture. Your guide has done the research for you so you can enjoy the most authentic flavors of Chinatown. But this isn’t just a Chinatown food tour – it’s a culinary experience coupled with amazing stories of New York’s history.Historic DowntownStarting at the Dutch West India Company learn about New York's Dutch immigrant heritage and hear about times when Wall Street was a real wall. Learn about the revitalization of the World Trade Center post 9/11
From $99.00

Chinatown and Little Italy Food Fest
"Discover two ethnic and delicious NYC neighborhoods Chinatown and Little Italy on this three hour food and walking tour. You will begin your tour in Little Italy where you will meet your guide at the well-known and historic pasticceria Ferrara's Bakery and Café. Your friendly guide will provide you with an in-depth introduction to the neighborhood and an overview of the tour while you enjoy Ferrara's ever famous cannoli. From there you will explore the mom and pop specialty shops of Li sampling tastings such as fresh mozzarella with prosciutto imported Italian cheeses and olives and fresh pasta. Your guide will make sure to engage you in the history of these local shops and ensure that you learn all about the foods that you are tasting. Once you have sampled some of the best foods that Little Chinatown. Once you enter this new ""continent"" you will soon see the vibrant colors of this neighborhood hear the Chinese language and feel immersed. Your guide will lead you to the oldest dim sum restaurant where you will have a unique sit-down dim sum dining experience
From $60.00

Chinatown Tips (105)

Google maps for walking around in NYC

Using google maps on smart phone can be of great help in NYC

This was true by my experience to the Big Apple during my trip in late October. I used google map on my iphone 6 (with 3G/wifi, of course) and found the shortest distance to the subway stations near the Brooklyn bridge. Earlier in the morning, I had started from Queens, changed at Queens Plaza for an R train to go downtown. I got out from Canal Street (serving R and 5 other lines) to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge . I walked for half an hour to reach the historic Brooklyn Bridge. After walking the bridge. I intended to walk back to the Canal Street but after that I found from Google Map that the City Hall station also serving line R, which is one station further from the Central Street.

You don't need to waste money buying one or more of the apps guiding you to walk in NYC, google maps on your smart phones is just enough.

silentfish193350's Profile Photo
silentfish193350
Nov 19, 2015

Chinatown for people who've never been!

I recommend Chinatown to you because,
There are so many things to buy, stands are everywhere filled with cool trinkets.

Last time I bought some jade necklaces, a flower, a really cute purse, and an authentic fan. There are also little plush animals you can wear around your neck!

The food is great, the best restaurant is "Hop Kee" in my opinion

Tips: Many people will try to get you to buy things, they may get in your face yelling their product. Just look straight ahead. Also a lot of people have underground warehouses for bags and other things, do not follow them to their basement or house to get a product! Stay on the street! ( I am being serious, my auntie wanted to buy a bag and the man had her go in the basement, could've ended badly!) Do not buy any animals from anyone because they may have a disease.
From Leeny

leenymary
Jul 29, 2014

I recommend Chinatown to you because,

The food is great, the best restaurant is "Hop Kee" in my opinion

leenymary
Jul 29, 2014

Largest Chinatown in The Americas

The New York City Chinatown, located in southwestern Manhattan, at the Lower East Side to its east, Little Italy to its north, Civic Center to its south, and Tribeca to its west, is the Largest Chinatown in the Americas (Both North and South continents) and is home to more than 100,000 people not only of chinese ancestry and also other asian nationalities as well. Chinatown is the ground zero of counterfeit goods and items in Manhattan (want a Channel no. 5 bottle for $ 20, counterfeit off course!). There are also 3 smaller Chinatowns in the other boroughs of New York City.

So if you want to experience and eat Americanized Chinese Food and also different Authentic Regional Chinese Cuisines and also buy counterfeit items, this is the place to be.

machomikemd's Profile Photo

52 Mulberry St, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
341 Broome Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
30 Kenmare Street, New York City, New York, 10012, United States

Chinatown

New York City has the largest Chinese population outside of Asia, and Manhattan's Chinatown is one of the oldest population centres in the West. It's tucked up right alongside the shiny buildings Financial District, but it's full of far eastern flavour, complete with hanzi signs, aging tenement buildings, outside wall staircases, and markets stuffed with Chinese goods and food. Chinese people abound, kids playing basketball, old men smoking at intersections, mother and son eating lunch on a bench. And of course there are plenty of Chinese restaurants.

antistar's Profile Photo
antistar
Jun 05, 2013

Surprise, surprise, I'm in my element here

The Chinatown in Manhattan is actually not the only one in New York City - there are two others in Brooklyn and Queens. The one in Manhattan, with a population of about 90,000-100,000 is one of the biggest in the world. Many of the immigrants here came from southern China, with Cantonese are the predominant dialect.

Chinatown is a great place to sample authentic Chinese - more specifically Cantonese - food. A friend brought me to a very good Chinese restaurant said to be Martha Stewart's favorite (see restaurant tips). For Asians, it is also a place to go to when you yearn for something more of the familiar sights, smells and taste. Actually, Chinatown is a bit of a misnomer as other Asian nationalities are well represented - Thai, Malaysians, Vietnamese, and Filipinos are quite very visible here.

Tijavi's Profile Photo
Tijavi
Nov 16, 2012

Authentic Chinese Food

To truly experience Chinatown, you have to eat at Dim Sum Restaurant. Order any of the following to enjoy true Chinese cuisine (and not the black gooey soy sauce laden Chinese restaurant crap they throw at you!):
"Har gow" ( shrimp dumplings), "siew mai" (pork dumplings), "lor bak go" (turnip cake), "char siew bao" (steamed roast pork buns), "dahn taht" (egg custard, much like creme brulee but baked pastry) and "jook" (congee/porridge with variety of meat and scallions).

Icemaiden02's Profile Photo
Icemaiden02
Apr 04, 2011

Chinatown

Chinatown is my personal favorite area to shop and eat in , in NYC. It's a little like being in China I would imagine. At least it is as close to China you can get without leaving the U.S.
I love all the little stores and all of the great Chinese restaurants.

Florida999's Profile Photo

Gypsystravels

"A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

shutterlust

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

toonsarah

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

Christophe_Ons

". : New York City : ."

Chinatown

We enjoy walking down Canal Street, Mott Street. The markets, shops, restaurants and people watching are just great.

The Pearl River Shop on 477 Broadway is filled with Chinese inspired clothing, giftware & kitchen items at very reasonable prices. The streets are filled with knockoff bags and watches and plastic toys made in China.

We love the many reasonably priced restaurants. As a child & student we lined up on the side walk to get inside Wo Hop at 17 Mott St. The restaurant is clean, service is very fast and the typical Cantonese food is good and very reasonably priced. The portions are huge we always have too much left over. The Excellent Dumpling House 111 Lafayette St. between Canal & Walker has the wonderful Chinese Dim Sum & the women pushing it by in the carts. You point to what you like and they write the price on the ticket. For a few dollars you can really have a fresh & wonderful meal. The Sun Hop Shing Tea House on 21 Mott has all of the wonderful bubble teas is just wonderful. I don't think you could go wrong with good & reasonable food in Chinatown. The restaurants cater to tourists and are very reasonable and helpful.

apbeaches's Profile Photo
apbeaches
Apr 18, 2010

Chinatown-- Which one?

New York has 3 Chinatowns. One in Manhattan, Queens, and Brooklyn.
The one in Manhattan has the most to offer to a tourist though. Some of the best Chinese food is served in Manhattan. What they serve in the Queens Chinatown is the food that most of us Americans consider exotic.

For one week in February Manhattan Chinatown celebrates the Chinese New Year where there are parades and festivals galore no matter the temperature. There is a museum of Chinese Americans, beautiful temples, Chinese ornaments, fountains, furniture, Chinese teas, and Chinese herbs. Early in the morning in Christopher Park and some other open spaces you will find people doing Tai Chi. It is free to join them. On Mott street you will find many accupressurist charging $10 for 10 minutes. Accupressure is like a medical massage or sports massage/physical therapy. Some of these folks are licensed in China just not in the US. ****Make sure you disclose all of your problems before you let them start to work on you. ***

iam1wthee's Profile Photo
iam1wthee
Feb 23, 2010

Chinatown

Chinatown in Manhattan (there's one in Brooklyn and one in Queens) is one of the many vibrant and colorful neighborhoods you will find in New York.

This is one of the largest Chinese communities outside of Asia and where I started to appreciate the diversity that is New York City (and the US for that matter), with the colorful houses, the constant (and sometimes rushed) movement and the food =) On a normal Saturday early afternoon, it was a little crowded and I can only imagine how it is when they celebrate their holidays.

I was reminded of Beijing in the sense that I saw a lot of hairdressers one after the other hehehe.

marielexoteria's Profile Photo
marielexoteria
Feb 09, 2010

Hectic!

We happened upon China town purely by accident. This place is mental! so busy and buzzing but I have to say rather overwhelming for me as I couldn't make rhyme nor reason of the streets around here (maybe I had a rubbish map, or maybe my map reading skills are not up to scratch!)

This place has a large chinese community and there are many restaurants and stores selling supplies. you have to go as it is so different to other parts of new york - but next time I go I will be getting a guide who knows their way around!

clareabee's Profile Photo
clareabee
Dec 07, 2009

Things to Do Near Chinatown

Little Italy

The Italian American Museum is in the heart of NYC's Little Italy, at the intersection of Mulberry and Grand Streets. This building once housed the "Banco Stabile" which was found in 1885 to offer...

Lower East Side

I had to do it. I had to drag my wife from Greenwich Village over to the seedy Lower East Side to get to the corner of Ludlow and Rivington. That's the photograph historically captured on the Beastie...

Lower East Side Tenement Museum

I don´t know did we choose the wrong tour or what, but this tour was far from what we thought! I think I waited this museum most from our trip, and it sounded just like my kind of thing and I was so...

New Museum

Completed in 2007, the New Museum building is one of the most original in NYC. The cubic building was designed by the renowned Japanese firm SANAA (Sejima + Nishizawa and Associates) and is perhaps...

African Burial Ground National Monument

During excavation for a new office building, in lower Manhattan, a burial ground of about 400 slaves was unearthed, and digging quickly stopped. Some 200 bodies still remain buried here, and in its...

Economy Candy

Floor to ceiling candy shop since 1937. They have every and any candy imaginable. They sell vintage and novelty items with a candy theme. Candies are sorted in one section by color as well, perfect...

Getting to Chinatown

Address

Manhattan, New York City,

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map