Map &

Soho Little Italy Chinatown Private Tour
From $225.00

Little Italy Tips (46)

Italian American Museum

The Italian American Museum is in the heart of NYC's Little Italy, at the intersection of Mulberry and Grand Streets. This building once housed the "Banco Stabile" which was found in 1885 to offer Italian immigrants financial services, including telegraph, post office, notary public, travel ticket, et. al. services. And just as important, the bank's lingua franca was Italian, at a time when most immigrants understood very little English. The Museum is an attempt to tell the story of Italian immigration to our beloved Republic.

SteveD67's Profile Photo
SteveD67
Mar 20, 2015

Little Italy is a good place to go for some free s

...No, I'm not talking about street performers. I'm talking about the Italian men outside of their restaurants beckoning everyone to come in and have a taste of authentic Italian cuisine. I love these guys' spirit, attitude, the whole package. Amazingly fun dudes.

There's also cool street art all over the place, and I bought a nice B&W photo of McSorely's Ale House from an amateur photographer on the street.

bennforlife's Profile Photo
bennforlife
Dec 20, 2013

A slice of Italy...

...or more like it, a slice of little southern Italy, as the first Italian settlers in this area were from Italy's southern regions.

The area beams with the smells, flavors and colors of Italy with lots of restaurants and boutiques. Interestingly, it is next to Chinatown, with which it competes for scarce real estate space - no surprises on who's winning! This means you could have delicious dimsum as your antipasti and move next door for the main course and dessert!

Tijavi's Profile Photo
Tijavi
Sep 29, 2012

Little Italy is disappearing

During our visits to Little Italy in NYC over the past 35 years, we have noticed that it seems to be shrinking at the growth of Chinatown. This most recent visit proved to be no exception as some of our favourite spots have vanished or moved our of the area. Fortunately Mulberry St still offers some fine cannolis and hand rolled cigars, which can be enjoyed at any number of wonderful patio eateries that were still going strong on New Years eve.

Highbrae's Profile Photo

159 Grand Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
9 Crosby Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
61-63 Chrystie Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States

A great tour of Little Italy and Chinatown

Took a yummy tour of Chinatown and Little Italy. Learned about the history of both neighborhoods, was provided with lots of dining recommendations and along the tour we stopped at various locations to sample some tasty foods. In Little Italy we tried cannolis (and I don't like cannolis but this one was out of this world) and we also tasted some fresh homemade mozzarella with prosciutto... wow! The guide was knowledgeable and personable.

astoriajpb
Aug 25, 2011

Eating

One of the best places to eat in little Italy is a small cigar bar called "Florio's". It is located at 192 Grand Street, NY NY. Little Italy. There website is www.florios.com Its a great place, is it also the only smoker friendly restuarant left in NY City, or at least the only one that publicly say its smoker friendly. Smoker or not though, the food at this joint is amazing and will give you a great taste of this historic neighborhood.

DocRotten's Profile Photo
DocRotten
Apr 04, 2011

Little Italy

Little Italy is a neighborhood in lower Manhattan, New York City, once known for its large population of Italians. Chinatown, has encroached on much of Little Italy and Mulberry Street between Broome and Canal Streets, is all that is left of the old Italian neighborhood. The street is lined with some two-dozen Italian restaurants popular with tourists, and seemingly very few locals.

The Feast of San Gennaro is a large street fair, lasting 11 days, in September along Mulberry Street. We find that it just gets too crowded, loud & the food isn't as good.

Il Palazzo at 151 Mulberry Street , is our favorite Italian Restaurant. We enjoy sitting at a table on the sidewalk on a nice day or inside the garden room. The service is impeccable, food consistently good and prices reasonable.

apbeaches's Profile Photo
apbeaches
Jan 16, 2010

Italian American Museum

In the fall of 2008, the New York Times ran a lengthy account of the creation of the Italian American Museum at 155 Mulberry Street, the southwest corner of the intersection of Mulberry and Grand Streets, in Little Italy. I'm a New Yorker, but I finally got to visit it only last week. Although other posts declare that "Little Italy" is shrinking, the directors of this interesting museum plan to enlarge it. At present, the exhibit is limited to a corner former bank, the Stabile Bank, Francesco Stabile being the founder in 1885. When I visited, the suggested donation was $5. I spent an interesting 35 minutes viewing one video (10 minutes) and looking at the displays on several topics: currency, passports, bank papers, personal letters (one threatening harm), photos. In sum, it is a good exhibit, but limited. The staff was most knowledgeable, unlike many museums where the staff are mere guards. Phone 212-965-9000, but you may get only a recording. The museum is CLOSED Mondays and Tuesdays.

SeafordM7's Profile Photo

Gypsystravels

"A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

shutterlust

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

toonsarah

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

Christophe_Ons

". : New York City : ."

Parnoramic View of Little Italy

If you feel like Italian, you can't go wrong going to Mulberry St. in Little Italy.

You can go to this website site to see a complete panoramic view of all the stores in Little Italy:

grandstreets
Jul 13, 2009

Visit Little Italy

It was a great experience for me to visit Little Italy, being Italian and all! We had some great food at La Nonna and I even snapped my picture with the conceirge! Little Italy has some great quirks about it. (Note: the fire hydrants and parking meters are painted with the Italian flag!) So cute!!

nicole47's Profile Photo
nicole47
Feb 29, 2008

Very little indeed

I had always thought of Little Italy as being a real area in New York, a neighbourhood with a unique Italian background and style... Well, it's not more than two streets (Mulberry and Grand Street) and these consist basically only of restaurants and now and then an Italian grocery store. Apparently, the restaurants are quite good and rather inexpensive - most guidebooks mention them somehow as a good place to get Italian food. I didn't try them, but I certainly will next time in New York.

King_Golo's Profile Photo
King_Golo
Jan 06, 2008

Dining out in Little Italy

I'd heard from many people that Little Italy more or less was a tourist trap and that it was not worth the detour, but I was still curious to see it. I guess most people are disappointed to see how small Little Italy has become - most of the Italian families of old have now moved to different residential areas throughout the city, and what is now refered to as "Little Italy" is a small commercial strip punctuated by restaurants and souvenir shops. But still, having no expectations whatsoever, I did enjoy my short visit to "Lita" - I thought all the sidewalk terraces were quite charming, and we ended up going for an early dinner in one of the many restaurants located on Mulberry Street. It wasn't necessarily the best Italian meal I've ever had, but it was still quite good, not expensive at all, and the atmosphere of the place turned this into a really pleasant experience!

Jefie's Profile Photo
Jefie
Dec 11, 2007

Things To Do Near Little Italy

Chinatown

Using google maps on smart phone can be of great help in NYC This was true by my experience to the Big Apple during my trip in late October. I used google map on my iphone 6 (with 3G/wifi, of course)...

African Burial Ground National Monument

During excavation for a new office building, in lower Manhattan, a burial ground of about 400 slaves was unearthed, and digging quickly stopped. Some 200 bodies still remain buried here, and in its...

Manhattan Municipal Building

Located near the Brooklyn Bridge as a gateway to the financial district, The Muni, as it is often called by New Yorkers, was one of the first skyscrapers built in Manhattan and the first to...

City Tours - CityPass

We purchased a 7day pass online through the Qantas site which offered a discounted price. The pass allows you to go to the front of the line and save money along the way. There are a number of tourist...

Lower East Side

I had to do it. I had to drag my wife from Greenwich Village over to the seedy Lower East Side to get to the corner of Ludlow and Rivington. That's the photograph historically captured on the Beastie...

New Museum

Completed in 2007, the New Museum building is one of the most original in NYC. The cubic building was designed by the renowned Japanese firm SANAA (Sejima + Nishizawa and Associates) and is perhaps...

Getting to Little Italy

Address

Little Italy, New York, NY 10013

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map