New York City Things to Do

Instant Answers: New York City

• ter1413's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM

9/11 Memorial Museum Visitor Information

I just wanted to post this re my visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum today as it has opened to the public. I thought it may answer some questions that may or may not be 100% clear on the website.

-My scheduled time slot was 11:00am. I arrived at appr 10:30 and was let in at about 10:35. So just like the Memorial, it looks as if they will let you in early based on how many people are already inside.

-I heard/saw a few people walk up to the ticket booth right outside while I was on line. I heard the attendant say that the earliest scheduled slot available was for 3:00pm. So same day tickets are possible, but I would recommend booking in advance. I would also not count on same day tickets.

-Security was airport style(metal detector/jackets, bags & belts/etc in the bin.) I did not have to take my shoes off. That process took appr 3 minutes. But be prepared for longer lines.

-The entire facility is equipped with elevator and escalators. Ramps are also throughout the building so you do not need to use the stairs. It is fully wheelchair accessible and manual ones are available onsite(at the coat check-first come, first served.)

-There is a small cafe inside(Pavilion Cafe.) I didn't purchase anything from there but I am guessing that they have water/coffee. Outside food and beverage is not permitted.

-DSLR cameras are allowed inside. I didn't notice anyone with a "pro style" setup. The limitation is that there is no photography allowed inside the September 11, 2001 Historical Exhibition which in inside/part of the Museum.

-There is a coat check/"bag" check. I don't think this means that they want you to do a load of shopping and then leave the bags there while you visit the Museum. This looks like it is for knapsacks, etc. The coat/bag check is inside after you go through security.

-There are bathrooms throughout the facility. You must have a ticket to go inside and utilize the bathrooms. There are still no bathrooms on the grounds of the 9/11 Memorial.
    However, there is a Burger King down the block on Trinity/Liberty and Century 21 is also right next to the Memorial.

-There are first aid technicians also within the Museum.

-There is an auditorium where a film is shown(appr 15 minutes.) I had on a jacket, but note that the air conditioner was on HIGH in that area.
    I recommend the film.

-There are audio tours available. You can arrange this via the welcome desk inside. Tours can only be provided by Museum staff.

-The use of cellphones is prohibited. Touching of any of the artifacts is prohibited. Proper decorum should be followed.

-There is no "dress code"..but proper decorum is recommended.

-There is a gift shop. I won't really comment on that.

I won't attempt to give my feedback re the Museum except to say that it was VERY moving and emotional for me. I also won't attempt to say how long one should spend at the Museum. I left after about 3 1/2 hours. I also didn't bring my camera and only took 1 picture with my phone.

My visit was sponsored by Conde Nast, the NYC based publishing company and one of the tenants that will move into One World Trade when complete.

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM

As i mentioned on the Rome page, Hotels and Ask a question not necessary in the Things to do section. Also, could the link to add to your personal travel guide be added from these pages rather than have to seek the tip through the individual's page? Makes it much easier to build a custom travel guide.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM

As I was writing some tips for a city just west of where I live this morning I found out about this interesting event happening in June this year.

I wanted to let anyone who lives in the United States and any visitors to the U.S. this summer that there is a very unique event going on. Lincoln Highway is not as well known as its other old U.S. Highway (Route 66), but is actually older (1913 vs 1926) then its road cousin and actually does travel through the middle of the country from coast to coast (New York to San Francisco). Route 66 actually starts in my hometown of Chicago and heads to California.

Anyway here is a link and a bit of a description for anybody who is interested. www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/tour/2013.com

"Join fellow historians and tourists for the Official Lincoln Highway Centennial Tours, headed for Kearney, Nebraska from each coast, for the centennial of America’s first paved transcontinental road: the Lincoln Highway. Antique cars, Classics, muscle cars, ’50s cars, trucks, motorcycles, street rods, and modern cars are welcome to participate.

You will travel the original alignments of the Lincoln Highway covering many miles of two-lane history, four-lane progress, and even gravel scenic beauty. Travel from America’s urban centers, through pastoral farm lands, over breathtaking mountains and rolling prairies.

Travelers from the East will start at Times Square, the heart of America’s most vibrant city. You will travel through ivy-covered college towns such as Princeton, New Jersey, and the Amish country of Pennsylvania. From Pittsburgh’s steel and beer brewing industrial history, you will travel through Ohio’s diverse agricultural and commercial mix. Indiana takes you through more Amish farm land, South Bend’s Notre Dame and automotive history and on to Illinois. From Illinois you will travel to Iowa’s farmland across the Mississippi River into the prairies of Nebraska and on to the Centennial celebration in Kearney at the Great Platte River Arch Museum.

Western travelers enjoy beginning their journey in the urban centers of San Francisco and Oakland, California. After traveling through the state’s agricultural Central Valley you are exposed to the magnificent Sierra Nevada Mountains and Donner Pass before dropping into the deserts of Nevada and the Great Salt Lake of Utah. Climbing the mountains out of Salt Lake City, you will enter the wide open spaces of Wyoming and on to historic Cheyenne for an overnight stop. This is followed by your easterly trek into Nebraska and eventually joining the rest of the travelers from the east for the grand parade of cars into Kearney on opening day."