Map &

New York Midtown Scavenger Hunt Adventure
From $15.00

Times Square Tips (272)

Times Square - heart of the theaterland

Times Square is the heart of the theater district of New York. By night, it is a dazzle of advertising neon lights. The most current musicals and plays perform at the various theaters on Times Square. Besides, there are numerous fast food restaurants, American-style grills and pizzieras at every corner to satisfy the hungry traveller. Street artists from China do portraits and paintings at street corners for a small fee of $10 - 20. I must say that Times Square is really for the tourist. At any one time, there are more tourists and non-New Yorkers than native New Yorkers.

aukahkay's Profile Photo
Feb 16, 2006

Everyone must watch the ball drop in person at least once in thier lifetime. It was amazing. We were cold, it was raining/flurries but it was awesome. It is truely a zoo a people. Check out for everything you want to know about NYE. It is all there.

Check out my other tips and rate them so I can see my feedback ! thanks! :)

MELEBR's Profile Photo
Mar 03, 2006

As Electric as Anywhere in the World

With the exception of maybe Tokyo, Hong Kong or Beijing, Times Square on 42nd Street is as electric as anywhere in the world. It seems to be the hub of advertisement in the Streets of New York City. After dinner, my buddy Brian and I found ourselves here and just enjoyed the moment at around 11pm at night. It was a Wednesday on a very hot day. That night, there were still many people walking about.

On the streets were artists selling their work and offering to sketch. There is an amazing buzz the first time you find yourself on top of the World in New York's Times Square.

Just in case you get misled, that "War of the Worlds" picture is an advertisement for that Steven Spielberg/Tom Cruise movie that was released in the summer of 2005.

Do not watch it. It is a horrible movie. I just do not want you to think I am advocating that movie via the picture.

mydreamquest's Profile Photo
Feb 22, 2006

I wanted to go, All my life!!!

Times Square Tourist Information
When visiting Times Square, stop by the neighborhood's most informative location - the Times Square Information Center. Located in the newly renovated Embassy Movie Theatre on 7th Avenue, between 46th and 47th Streets, The center is open daily from 8am to 8pm.
Times Square has it all. You can find first class lodging, all varieties of dining, entertainment, as well as tours of all parts of the city, shopping and nightlife in this exciting, vibrant and historic landmark in New York City. There are always events and attractions to be seen in Times Square, in the heart of the City that never sleeps.
Vistors to Times Square can find all sorts of fun, exciting and informative tours to explore other parts of the city. Choose from walking, bike, bus, food, limo, TV, landmark, ethnic or water tours. These tours will allow you to visit all major landmarks, sights, and attractions in every part of New York City, showing the diversity, culture, and history of this great metropolis.
Times Square offers an incredibly wide array of dining and food options. Dine in luxury at one of the area's five star restaurants, or enjoy a quick snack from one of the many street vendors. The area offers foods from every part of the world, with many different options to fit any budget.
Shopping in Times Square is almost limitless. An incredibly wide variety of shops and stores offer clothing, electronics, toys, and every sort of consumer good imaginable. The different and varied merchandise available will fit any need or budget. Find whatever you are looking for in your visit while shopping in Times Square.
Get your tickets for an incredibly wide variety of entertainment in Times Square. See a musical or play on Broadway, or go to a concert at a variety of nearby venues, offering all forms of live music. Enjoy a stand-up comedy performance, or see a movie in the area's many movie theatrERS

heitzenrater's Profile Photo

133 W 44th St, New York City, New York, 10036, United States
132 West 45th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States
130 West 44th Street, New York City, New York, 10036, United States

Open top buses

We wanted to get a good view of New york from every angle, so we jumped on a greyline bus, We pre-booked our tickets costing $39.00 each and caught our bus outside Macys, We had a guide, talking about what we were seeing, View from the top of the bus was great, we went through everywhere, China town, Grennwich village, 5th avenue, central park, Times square, Fantasic value, It started snowing as we were going round, just magical, We were on and off bus for 6 hours, we loved it, but it may not be everyones cup of tea,

dawnandash's Profile Photo
Dec 27, 2005

Audio Walking Tour for Your iPod

This is a great tour of the theatre district and Times Square and you can listen to it on your iPod at your leisure. These audio tours are pretty nifty and very reasonable priced. I've done all four in Manhattan from Sounds for Sights. They're only five dollars and combine a good amount of history with more recent information for a well-rounded tour. I would suggest it.

Jan 16, 2006

No Sleep In This Place

Times Square is amazing. Its smack bang in the middle of broadway. Restaurants, bars, shops, lights, theatre. Its got it all. Walking the area day or night you will have plenty to see and do. Street theatre. Street stores. Bars and restaurants open all hours. Shops like the 4 strory Toys R Us which has a ferris wheel inside!!!

Probably the most memorable aspect to the area are the electronic signs. Signs that in some cases are as big as buildings. Huge Coke adverts. A massive TV screen on the side of a building. Its crazy. You cant help but think how brilliant it would be there for New Years.

Chris_Louise's Profile Photo
Sep 08, 2005

The center of it all

Times Square is one of the most touristy areas of NYC and, despite attempts to
"clean up" the area, it remains on of the most gawdy. The area is almost always a mass of people, mostly tourists, moving in slow motion under larger than life billboards and lights, past shops, fast food restaurants and panhandlers and in queues outside the theatres. It is loud, overcrowded and obnoxious in many respects. But don't leave New York without visiting it.

goingsolo's Profile Photo
May 12, 2005

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

cjg1's Profile Photo

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

". : New York City : ."

new years tips!

Want to be in the middle of action when the ball drops? Plan to stay in the times square area all day on new years eve. Pick your spot around 5:00 and stay there! Yes it sounds early but its a sure way to e in the action. One year I didn't get down to the square untill 9:00, all the streets from the middle up to central park were blicked by police becuase the streeats were already filled with people!!!

Cammel11's Profile Photo
May 18, 2005

You gotta see it to believe it...

This is just one of those places you HAVE to see when you come to New York. You always see it on TV, in video games, in magazines, newspapers etc. It's awesome in the daytime, and even better at night because of all the bright lights.

wreckloose's Profile Photo
Mar 27, 2006

Naked Cowboy

When in NYC, dont miss the Naked Cowboy, who has been serenading the girls with his naked 3 chord riffs since God knows when...

Usually out in the middle of the intersection somewhere in Time Square... (Always a favourite with the girls, I suppose....)

kenmerk's Profile Photo
Jul 08, 2005

Mecca of Capitalism

The lights and the colors of Times Square still inflict me with a sense of wonder at this symbol of capitalism in the post-modern age. That is until I walk into a tourist who's staring upwards dumbfounded in the middle of the curb just about to get hit by a disgruntled taxi driver.
As much as I like Times Square for its colors and lights I hate the fact that it's always so crowded, making it very difficult to walk fast anywhere.
But it's a place that must be seen, specially if you're a first time visitor.
If you want to buy "cheap" tickets for the evenings Broadway show and you have ample time in your hands, stand in line for the TKTS booths in the middle of Times Square. You can't miss the long line. Tickets have a reasonable discount to some shows, not all of them, but keep in mind that you might not find seats that are next to each other, so you might have to sit separate.
If you want to go to the movies, there's the AMC or the Loews theaters right on 42nd Street, across the street from each other. The sitting is comfortable and most screening rooms are very big. However, they only show the latest blockbusters, so if you want to see something a off the beaten Hollywood track, go to Angelika on Houston Street or the Lincoln Square Theater, across from the Lincoln Center.

Wanderlust1443's Profile Photo
Aug 03, 2005

Things To Do Near Times Square

Toys R Us

On Times Square, inside Toys 'R Us, there is a complete wheel where you can ride on. If traveling with kids to New York City, this cannot be forgotten. The wheel is strategically located so you're...

Walt Disney Store

We are the best producer of HIGH QUALITY fake and real documents. With over a billion of our documents circulating around the world. We offer only original high-quality passports, driver's licenses,...

Madame Tussauds

I didn't think Madame Tussaud's in Times Square was nearly as extensive or interesting as London. It was expensive, but there are discounts available. We started by walking into the opening night...

Bryant Park

In days gone by, Bryant Park was in need of some love. Although I did love going there, I perhaps did so for all the wrong reasons. Now, I walk through here and reminisce about days and brain cells...

Radio City Music Hall

We took the Radio Hall Tour as it was in our New York City Pass Book but also because we are interested in history and this hall has certainly got some history! The tour guide took us through the...

Top of the Rock

This was redone/remodeled fairly recently. It's clean, safe and convenient. The observation deck is really modern with tall "glass" railings so you have an unobstructed view of the city and down to...

Getting to Times Square

Manhattan, NY 10036

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!