Map &

Circle Line: Harbor Lights Night Cruise
From $38.00

Circle Line: NYC Liberty Cruise
From $22.00

Empire State Building Tips (24)

Standing in line to get to the ESB observatory

Especially during the tourist season, the lines standing outside the Empire State Building can be really long.

Unique Suggestions If you visit in July or August and want to take daytime pictures, try to get there early (the Observatory opens at 9 am), or late (last elevator up is 11:30pm)

Refer to my "Must See Activities" section for an entry on the Empire State Building and its Observatory.

Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo
Christophe_Ons
Mar 30, 2004

Empire State Building

Sure, its one of the most famous buildings in the whole world, but is it really worth it? Well... to tell you the truth I can't say because I never went up. Why? First time I tried to go there, it was raining and there was less than a mile visibility from the top. Second time, there was a two hour wait! Two hours! I didn't really think it was worth the wait...

Unique Suggestions If you are set on going up, the way to beat the lines is the purchase tickets for the motion ride that they have up there as well as regular tickets to go up. You'll be paying more but you will bypass most people who just want to go up. In the end, the extra money will be worth it so you don't waste time in line.

Fun Alternatives Top of the rock. What's that? Well, if you want to see the view of the city from the Empire, you might as well go to the Rockefeller building. It's just as high as the Empire, and when you go up there, you get to see the Empire State building along with the rest of the view, but the best thing about it is the line. Or lack of it. It took us less than 15 mins to go up, compared to the 2 hour wait for Empire. They just opened the building up to the public just recently so take advantage of it. Most people only know of the Empire State Building so most of the people will be going there.

joits's Profile Photo
joits
Mar 22, 2006

Arrive early

Heed the warning of the guidebooks and arrive early to the Empire State Building. Otherwise you'll be faced with a 2-3 hour wait and will end up blowing half your day. The view, however, is really nice.

Unique Suggestions After doing the Empire State, get lunch or drinks at a nearby rooftop bar.

Rare Bar and Grill (16th Floor Bar) - 303 Lexington Ave., at 37th St. 212-481-1999; Tue-Sat, 4:30pm-midnight

Hotel Metro (Rooftop Terrace) - 45 W. 35th St., between Fifth and Sixth Aves.; 212-279-3535; hotelmetronyc.com; Mon-Fri, 5:30pm-10pm

La Quinta Inn Manhattan - 17 W. 32nd St., between Broadway and Fifth Ave.; 212-736-1391; laquinta.com; Daily, 4pm-midnight

sunchasers's Profile Photo
sunchasers
Feb 15, 2007

Big Queues during the day, go in the evening.

Going up the ESB in the day can be time consuming waiting in the massive queues

Unique Suggestions you can be waiting 2 or more hours to go up the ESB in the day, i actually went up at Midnight on Thanks Giving and didnt have to wait at all.. After 7pm the queues tend to die off, you get to see the whole city lit up too by the lights of new york

Fun Alternatives Alternatly, go and have a look up the Rockafeller Building, similar size, cheaper and quicker to go up. plus you get to see the ESB in the background

RuBiQ
Jun 24, 2007

Sponsored Listings

Hotels in New York City

130 Duane Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
85 West Broadway, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
Hotels
95 West Broadway, At Chambers Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
52-54 W 36th Street, 10018
55 Church Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
2 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, New York, 10013, United States

Empire State Building Warning

Ok, so everyone thinks going to the top of the Empire State Building is a must do, so romantic, etc. Well, I would not recommend it unless you like LONG lines. Buy the time we paid almost $30 for the two of us and we waited for over an hour in lines while employees tried to get you to pay even more for the audio tour we didn't even enjoy the views. We went during the week in the evening. If you must go I would definately find out when the slow times are.

Unique Suggestions Call ahead and find out when the slow time are during the week, 212-736-3100.

Jewelslover's Profile Photo
Jewelslover
Sep 15, 2005

the people in the ESB hate their jobs

The people working in the ESB, really, must hate their jobs. They were so rude that we kept wondering if we did or said anything wrong. You will not find such rude behaviour in Europe, that's for sure. The top of the ESB is nothing special. Of course, the view is spectucular but there is not much space so it is crowded and difficult to take pictures.

Unique Suggestions We did not have to wait long because we had booked our tickets online. So, in order to skip the long lines, buy your ticket from the Net.

Fun Alternatives We heard from friends that the Top of the Rock in the Rockefeller Center is better. So, maybe next time we go there, we can do that. You should also go to Top of the Rock, then.

mariahc1's Profile Photo
mariahc1
Mar 23, 2011

It can feel like a bit of a rip off

Yes, it probably costs a lot of money to maintain this fab building and to keep it open to the tourists, but it can feel a bit of a rip off as well, if you don't know what to expect. They will try to sell you something called "Skyline Ride" film thingy before you go up to the tower, promising that you will beat the queues, which can get pretty long at peak times. It will cost you about $10 more or something, which is not that much I suppose, but it all adds up - especially if there are many of you. It's up to whether you want to do that. You can always try to avoid the queues altogether by arriving early in the morning (as early as it opens).

On the way up, they take photos of every visitor (or group of visitors), which you can then purchase on your way down. I was totally shocked that they were actually asking $25 for only one photo!!! Give me a break.. I'm so pleased I actually had my eyes closed in the photo, so that my boyfriend didn't feel obliged to buy the damn thing. I certainly didn't want to invest 25 bucks.

Also bear in mind that the souvenirs at the top of the ESB are much more expensive than what you pay at the souvenir shops at the street level anywhere in the city, so check out what you find at the souvenir shops before hand. The selection is bound to be very similar.

Unique Suggestions You are not obliged to buy any souvenirs or drinks and food at the ESB. Just enjoy the view and head somewhere else for your souvenirs and refreshments.

annase's Profile Photo
annase
Feb 26, 2008

Empire State Building

Now, I've never been to the top of the Empire State Building, for reasons to be explained here.

A ticket to the observatory was $11 for adults, $9 for seniors and $6 for kids ages 5-12 in 2001, and I have neither knowledge nor doubt that the price has since risen. But, even if you're willing to pay for that, lines into the ticket office are typically an hour and a half, perhaps even twice that much. If the view is worth that much to you, though (and I know it is to some) then knock yourself out. I, unfortunately, was visiting the city with my family and thus had no time for the ticket line.

It is to my understanding, though, that valid tickets to the observatory can be printed from the internet. But I haven't a clue how much this would help.

Brillemeister's Profile Photo

Gypsystravels

"A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
cjg1's Profile Photo

cjg1

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

shutterlust

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

toonsarah

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

Christophe_Ons

". : New York City : ."

Empire State Building - not worth the long wait

We went to the ESB in the evening and had pre-purchased the tickets because we heard the wait would be shorter that way. WRONG!! With tickets, we still waited over 3 hours just to board the elevators to the observatory. Once there, we pretty much turned right around because it was sooooo crowded up there, you could not see a thing. The windows were about 4 to 5 people deep, so you couldn't even look over people's heads. It was horrible. Then, oh yes! we had to wait another 45 minutes or so just to be able to get on the elevators to go down. Horrible experience!!! This was the only experience in our 8 day trip in NYC that we absolutely hated.

mekealoha's Profile Photo
mekealoha
Apr 18, 2008

Empire State Building

You do it because you are in New York and it is a must see. It`s pricey- $20 a person. The line ups are long and the staff can literally close the front door in your face. The top level is also packed so it`s hard to get a good space and not feel rushed.

Unique Suggestions Go up at night to see the city sky line- that made the trip worth it.

twilightmuse's Profile Photo
twilightmuse
Jul 11, 2010

I rated the Empire State...

I rated the Empire State building as a must-see but it still is a bit of a tourist trap. You get herded on the elevators like cattle and when you're up there there really isn't that much to see. The city is so polluted you see everything through a haze. Ah well...i still love it!!

Paula1971's Profile Photo
Paula1971
Aug 26, 2002

The Empire State Building is a...

The Empire State Building is a famous tourist trap with a silver lining... you can see an amazing amount of New York City architecture from the observation deck. It is worth it for that reason alone. Take binoculars.

McCurry's Profile Photo
McCurry
Aug 26, 2002

Things To Do in New York City

City Tours - CityPass

We purchased a 7day pass online through the Qantas site which offered a discounted price. The pass allows you to go to the front of the line and save money along the way. There are a number of tourist...

African Burial Ground National Monument

During excavation for a new office building, in lower Manhattan, a burial ground of about 400 slaves was unearthed, and digging quickly stopped. Some 200 bodies still remain buried here, and in its...

Manhattan Municipal Building

Located near the Brooklyn Bridge as a gateway to the financial district, The Muni, as it is often called by New Yorkers, was one of the first skyscrapers built in Manhattan and the first to...

Tribeca

The Tribeca Open Artist Studio Tour was founded as a non-profit, artist-run organization with the mission to empower the working artists of Tribeca while providing an educational opportunity for the...

Ground Zero - World Trade Center

We walked over here and sat for a while after walking around the 9/11 Memorial. It was a gorgeous and warm afternoon and the breeze off the water was welcoming and refreshing. Directly across from us...

National September 11 Memorial

I tell most people what the volunteers at the museum told me - if you visit New York frequently, consider getting the membership. I wanted to see everything while I was there, but for myself and many...

Getting to New York City

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Tourist Traps. Help us improve our info!

Map