Map &

From $49.00
New York City Luxury Bus Tour and Harbor Cruise
From $109.00

Taxis Tips (119)

What trip to New York would be complete without a ride in a yellow cab!

We caught a cab from JFK to our hotel in Midtown Manhattan. There is a set fare for this trip of 35 USD, plus tolls....oh, and a tip of course.

This is actually pretty good value, especially when you arrive late-ish at night like we did.

We also caught a cab a couple of times at night after dinner.

Just make sure you catch one in the right location to enable you to zip down one of the avenues and get all the green lights.

sue_stone's Profile Photo
Aug 15, 2004

That Yellow Taxi Cab

Getting around NYC by taxi or cab as it is referred to is the easiest but not always the fastest way to get from point A to point B. Just stand by the curb with your arm stretched out and an available cab will stop. Prices are based on distance traveled as well as idle time.

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo
May 11, 2016

Hunt Valley Motor Coach Tours

This was a great way to get to New York. We drove to a secure park and ride and had to be there 6:00 am sharp. We just sat back, relaxed and let them worry about the traffic, toll bridges, and parking. From there, they took us to Broadway in New York City where we were on our own to shop, sight see or whatever we wanted to do. Just had to be back there at 6:00 pm sharp to get back. We even got a movie on the way back. The coach bus was comfortable and clean. Enjoyed the trip a lot. The coach driver was pretty cool too!

P.O. Box 507 Hunt Valley, MD 21030

They offer wheel chair accessible tours and trips. Please Contact them directly at 1-800-888-1228 to make arrangements.

Yaqui's Profile Photo
Sep 14, 2013

It is advised you only ride in the official yellow licensed NYC Taxi cabs and not in the so called 'gypsy" cabs which often aren't insured properly and will basically charge you whatever they want.

From JFK : The flat fare is $45.00 as of May 2004, plus any tolls. The meter will not be turned on and the night surcharge will not be added.
(note there's no flat fare TO the JFK airport)

In New York : the NEW metered rate of fare as of May 2004 :
-$2.50 upon entry
-$.40 for each additional unit
The unit of fare is one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 8 miles an hour or more; or 2 minutes (40 cents, i.e. at a rate of 20 cents per minute), when the taxicab is not in motion or is traveling at less than 8 miles an hour.
-Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM
-New as of May 2004 is the peak surcharge of $ 1.00 between 4pm-8pm on weekdays.

-if the roof numbers are lit up, the taxi is available
-occupied cabs have their top lights switched off, taxi's that are "off duty" have the corresponding words lit in the sign on the roof
-taxi's can be flagged with a raise of the hand and a flick of the wrist
-a taxi will carry up to four passengers
-make sure the driver knows exactly where you want to go, as many drivers are newly arrived immigrants
-the driver may NOT ask you your destiniation before you've sat down and by law must take you anywhere in the city
-pay cash and tip the driver about 15%
-if the driver does not comply or is unreasonable, rude etc..., saying you will report him to the Taxi & Limousine Commission (which is your right) usually helps. The driver's name and license number are visible from the backseat.

Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo
May 07, 2004
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near New York City

130 Duane Street, New York City, New York, 10013, United States
85 West Broadway, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
95 West Broadway, At Chambers Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
52-54 W 36th Street, 10018
55 Church Street, New York City, New York, 10007, United States
2 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, New York, 10013, United States

Take a Taxi!

Taxis are a very convenient way to get around, particularly at night, BUT NOT DURING RUSH HOUR. Taxis are yellow - anyone who tells you he's a taxi driver in a car a color other than yellow is lying. If the light on teh top of the cab is lit in the middle, the cab is empty and in service. Most hotels have taxi stands, as do Grand CEntral and Penn Station. Hailing a cab yourself is easy enough. Stand just off hte corner,a little bit out in the street, and raise your arm. This is usually enough to get a cab to stop. Yelling "taxi" or whistling is unnecessary - the city is noisy enough as it is. Rate for taxis are:
$2.50 just for getting in
$0.40 for each 1/5 mile
$0.40 for each 120 seconds stopped in traffic.
$1.00 peak surcharge (4pm - 8pm weekdays)
$0.50 additional night charge (8pm - 6am)
Plus, tip in the range of 15-20 percent.

In the back of every cab there is a list of riders' rights, which includes "the right ot a receipt," "the right to be taken to any destination in the metropolitan area," etc. You also have the right to a seatbelt. It would be wise to buckle up, as taxis move fast and allow little margin for error. Taxi drivers sometimes try to rip you off by taking a longer route than is necessary, but if they think you know what you're talking about, they won't mess with you. Know where you're going and try to mention that you'd like to go via a certain street.

Personally, I think NYC taxi drivers are the safest on earth. Granted they don't drive like a tractor in a farm, slow and steady or whatever, but they get you where you need to go in one piece and quickly. And the whole whistling thing, shhh, but I do it! :-)

shutterlust's Profile Photo
Jun 03, 2006

Crazy Taxi Drivers

Sometimes you can get into a cab with a crazy cabbi. Not always, some are very nice and willing to engage you in conversation and will offer travel information. But sometimes,
you get a kook, that is absolutely nuts, and drives like a bat a hell. I have actually had to have two taxi drivers stop and let me out of their cab. I thought I would die if I let them drive me to my destination. I'm not sure why some taxi drivers are like this, but just be aware of it and ask them to pull over if you feel uncomfortable.

check out the website below for more info

pigletsmom's Profile Photo
Feb 25, 2004

Getting from LGA to Manhattan

There are probably cheaper ways of getting from LaGuardia (LGA) airport to Manhattan but none are easier than hopping into a cab.

I arrived on a Saturday morning when there was very little traffic and the ride was very quick, probably less than 20 minutes. I ended up paying $35 for the ride, the meter was $28, $4 for the toll and a tip.

There was a short queue outside the terminal, you'll be handed a fact sheet on taxi fares from LGA so that you won't get ripped off and have an idea of the fare.

Other options include hiring a car service which will be more expensive, Super Shuttle which will be cheaper if there is only one person traveling but almost assuredly will take longer as they stop at multiple hotels.

Dabs's Profile Photo
Feb 28, 2005

Afternoon Taxi Rush

In the afternoon between 4:30 and 5:30 the taxi cabs in NYC have their shift change. It can be VERY difficult to get a cab at these times. If you are in absolute need of a cab to get to the airport or something like that arrange for a car service ahead of time. I use Diamond car service and really like them. You may see cabs with their light on above that says out of service yet they are picking people up still. This is done when they are near the end of the shift, they will lean over and ask where you are going to see if it is on their way back to their garage to drop the cab off. New Yorkers can be rutheless when it comes to hailing a cab. You may see people walk up the street in the direction of traffic to "cut you off" especially if you are stuck there with your luggage on the street.

JVANYC's Profile Photo
Feb 09, 2005

Top 5 New York City Writers

Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

cjg1's Profile Photo

"NYC: Everyday, Something new."
shutterlust's Profile Photo

"I Heart New York."
toonsarah's Profile Photo

""I want to be a part of it ...""
Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo

". : New York City : ."

NYC Metro

NYC Metro - The NYC Subway rivals Boston and Chicago for "mass transit stories." There's always something happening there, but it is cheap, efficient, and if you know what you are doing (hey, even if you don't - we didn't) you can get around for $2.00 where a cab would cost $6-10.

you can purchase all day "unlimited rides" for $7.00, but if you don't know how many trips you'll be taking, it's probably better to get the "multi-ride" ticket. Anything over $10 and you get a 20% bonus. So, a $10.00 card for five rides actually gives you 6.

Agraichen's Profile Photo
Jun 21, 2007

Taxis from and to the airport

Taxis are pretty expensive in Canada so we tend to avoid them as much as possible. However, we quickly found out that if you don't feel like hauling your suitcase on-board a packed bus or subway, taxis are the way to go in New York City! Going from La Guardia to our hotel located in Lower Manhattan, there was a $30 flat rate, which means you don't have to worry about the price going up even when you're stuck in traffic. There was no flat rate on the way back, but it only came to $40 for a 30 minute taxi ride, and that included the tip and the little extra we had to pay for the toll bridge (the driver gave us the option between the less crowded toll bridge or the slower free bridge). Our driver was very courteous and it didn't take long for us to realize why there was such an impressive quantity of taxis in NYC - they truly are a convenient way to get around!

New York City taxis are regulated by the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC). If you need taxi, just stand at a busy street corner and flag one down!

Jefie's Profile Photo
Apr 22, 2010

Advice on leaving the airport

I was advised by someone who had previously been to New York to take only a yellow cab to get from JFK airport to the centre of New York. As soon as we exited the airport, a man approached us to come with him and he would take us with another load of tourists to our hotel on a mini bus. It could have been ok, but we followed the advise we had been given and queued for a taxi, which did take a good half an hour but we felt that this was the safest way.

clairegeordio's Profile Photo
Feb 09, 2004

Those insane yellow taxis!

David Letterman has a joke that none of the taxi drivers in NYC speak English. If you want an English-speaking cabbie then you need to go to Baghdad!

While this is not strictly true, you indeed may find it difficult at times to communicate with some drivers. Such is the luck of the draw when dealing with one of the 12,053 taxis in New York!

All in all, I've found most of them to be courteous. Notice I didn't add the word "safe"! Though such "creative driving styles" can work in your favour. One time I was going to be late catching a train from Penn Station. So I asked the driver to see what he could do about getting me there quickly ... and he obliged! My stomach has never forgiven me but I did catch my train!

I've provided a link to the website of Peter Franklin, who is perhaps the most famous taxi driver in NYC next to Robert DeNiro. :-)

rmdw's Profile Photo
Aug 31, 2003

Things To Do Near New York City

City Tours - CityPass

We purchased a 7day pass online through the Qantas site which offered a discounted price. The pass allows you to go to the front of the line and save money along the way. There are a number of tourist...

African Burial Ground National Monument

During excavation for a new office building, in lower Manhattan, a burial ground of about 400 slaves was unearthed, and digging quickly stopped. Some 200 bodies still remain buried here, and in its...

Manhattan Municipal Building

Located near the Brooklyn Bridge as a gateway to the financial district, The Muni, as it is often called by New Yorkers, was one of the first skyscrapers built in Manhattan and the first to...
Things to Do

The Tribeca Open Artist Studio Tour was founded as a non-profit, artist-run organization with the mission to empower the working artists of Tribeca while providing an educational opportunity for the...

Ground Zero - World Trade Center

We walked over here and sat for a while after walking around the 9/11 Memorial. It was a gorgeous and warm afternoon and the breeze off the water was welcoming and refreshing. Directly across from us...

National September 11 Memorial

I tell most people what the volunteers at the museum told me - if you visit New York frequently, consider getting the membership. I wanted to see everything while I was there, but for myself and many...

Getting to New York City

We don't yet have an address for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Transportation. Help us improve our info!