Penang, Philadelphia

3 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Penang: Authentic Malaysian

by blueskyjohn Written Mar 23, 2016

Penang Restaurant is located in the Chinatown district. It was convenient to my hotel so gave it a try. It is a large establishment with a front section and a back section. The ceiling is very high, over 15 feet making the room rather cold, especially if you are seated in the front near the entrance.

For me, a good test to see is a Malaysian restaurant is authentic is to try their Rendang. Rendang is a coconut flavored curry popular in Malaysia and can be made with any meat. Penang only offered this with beef so I ordered that. The Rendang was very good and tasted exactly the same as when I was in Malaysia. I would definitely go here again is I am in the mood for Malaysian food.

Hours:

Add to your Trip Planner
  • acemj's Profile Photo

Penang: Malaysian Food!

by acemj Updated May 30, 2003

Penang is a great Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown that also serves up some more eclectic Asian foods (such as some Thai dishes). One of my favorite restaurants in Charlotte is a Malaysian place, so when I'm in Philly this place makes me feel at home. Try the Roti Canai for an appetizer. Yum.

This picture was taken in May of 2003 when I was up in Philly visiting family.

Favorite Dish: I'm not really sure of all the exact names, but they have a great ginger whole fish (they used haddock the last time I was there). I always get the Roti Canai, which is an Indian influence bread served with a curried dipping sauce. Everything's good!!

Address: 117 N. 10th St.