More Places to eat in Pittsburgh

• Catching up with Old Friends in Dining Area
    Catching up with Old Friends in Dining...
    Fatheads Beer Wall
    Best Friends Toasting an Imperial Ale

Most Viewed Restaurants in Pittsburgh

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

Abay Ethiopian Cuisine: Experience Africa in Pittsburgh!

by Rabbityama Updated Jul 21, 2010

Abay is a very unique restaurant, because it is Pittsburgh's only Ethiopian restaurant. The restaurant itself is quite nice, with African pictures on the wall and in the front there are Ethiopian seating areas and decorations. It really sets the mood and prepares guests for a wholly African eating experience.

The food itself is quite a fun and interesting experience, especially for those unfamiliar with Ethiopian food and eating customs. I like the platters, so guests order 3 or 4 foods and those foods are then placed on a large circular piece of flat Ethiopian bread (apart from one another, not altogether!) and served to you on a platter with a separate roll of the bread.

To eat it, you simply tear off the bread and use it to grab/scoop the food and eat it! There's no need for eating utensils (although they do have them, if you want them) and everyone eats what they want from the same platter. Each platter is meant to serve two people.

(for information on hours, please visit the website I've provided)

Favorite Dish: Because I always order multiple foods, there is not one single food that I prefer. My favorites are the spicy meats, but I actually liked everything I've had there! The sambussas are delicious; both the regular and dessert sambussas. The pumpkin sambussa with brown cinnamon ice cream was a particularly good dessert!

Abay Ethiopian Cuisine Sambussas Abay Ethiopian Restaurant
    • Study Abroad

DeLuca's: Great Pancakes!

by Rabbityama Written Jul 21, 2010

DeLuca's is one of Pittsburgh's famous family-run diners in the Strip District. If you come on Saturdays during peak hours, there is always a line waiting to enter. Everything is made fresh here in a somewhat nostalgic atmosphere. The short stack is absolutely delicious and the portions are quite large and very affordable! I have been here a few times, and I always leave full and satisfied!

DeLuca's Restaurant DeLuca's

Add to your Trip Planner
  • Peppie's: Simple sub shop with out of this world subs

by nep5009 Written Jul 19, 2010

Located in the strip. From the outside it looks like a crappy little sub shop that is ready to close but go inside and it is an experience you will never forget the subs are to die for. The big nate is my favorite it is steak and chicken its simple meat Mayo lettuce onion and tomatoes but so much better than any subway or quizno. Its the fresh bread that puts these sandwiches over the top

Favorite Dish: Big nate just so many flavors

Szechuan Express: Oakland Chinese

by Rabbityama Updated Oct 31, 2009

According to city and university polls, the Szechuan Express is one of the city's best Chinese restaurants, however, the food quality seems to have dropped a bit over the years. It is not bad, but not the best, either. The portions are quite large, though, so it is very filling. As advertised, the meals cost less than $6.00. This is typical of most Chinese restaurants. They offer a variety of dishes, many of them are the stereotypical dishes, such as General Tso's Chicken, but there are also Thai, Taiwanese, and Southeast Asian dishes, as well as many seafood options. The employees are very kind and they are constantly patrolling to make sure that the restaurant is clean. The atmosphere is pleasant. The music played here is never very intense, so it is quite relaxing. If you do not wish to sit and eat in the restaurant, they also have take-out.

The Entrance to Szechuan Express
    • Singles

• icunme's Profile Photo

Roland's: Best restaurant on the Strip

by icunme Written Sep 23, 2009

This place is like home - we always see people we know - the kids table hop - we spend hours there! An outdoor balcony upstairs where you can watch the happenings on the Strip. Just great seafood!

Favorite Dish: Cioppino

• Wine Tasting
    • Aquarium

• iamjacksgoat's Profile Photo

Tusca: Great food from various nationalities!

by iamjacksgoat Updated Jun 23, 2009

Voted "Peoples Choice" Savor Pittsburgh 2008 - Sounds like a great place to eat! Tusca is one of my favorite restaurants on the South Side. The atmosphere is stylish and hip, with a great design and bar. The food is designed to encourage sharing, so a single table buys several dishes and tastes many different things. Each dish is from $5-14, depending on what you want to get. There is also an extensive wine list, and a delicious dessert menu. I highly recommend eating here if you are ever near South Side Works of Pittsburgh!

On certain nights, Tusca offers outside sitting and dancing on a dance floor. Tusca is open Sun. Noon - 8pm, Mon. Noon - 9pm, Tue. 11am - 10pm, Wed.- Thu. 11am - 11pm, Fri.- Sat. 11am - Midnight.

Favorite Dish: Cantonese Egg roll - a great dish! With this dish, you get four egg rolls, with a delicious sweet sauce. Highly recommended. Also, the Scallop Trio is very good. It is only three scallops, but it is extremely tasty. If you get this dish, I recommend ordering something else. If you want soup, the Dim Sum is a great choice. Shrimp, vegetables, and miso soup - a great combo.

For dessert, the Deconstructed Carrot Cake was my favorite. Delightfully spice-y, this cake is a great choice to end a meal. The Crème Brulee and Bread Pudding is great as well.

Tusca Inside Tusca Various dishes in Tusca! Bread pudding dessert from Tusca Cr��me Brulee at Tusca
    • Wine Tasting

• iamjacksgoat's Profile Photo

Hofbrauhaus: Experience Germany in Pittsburgh!

by iamjacksgoat Updated Jun 19, 2009

As a traveler who has been to Hofbrauhaus Munich, I had high expectations for the Hof that opened where I live. This restaurant met my expectations with flying colors! Located on the South Side of Pittsburgh, this restaurant has competition with some of the best eateries in Pittsburgh. Yet, it is always crowded, with plenty of business. Therefore, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to wait, or make a reservation if your group is 12+ people.

The Hofbrauhaus is known for its beer, which is brewed right in the restaurant itself! It is also known for its German food, which is a great display of strong tastes and filling meals. While eating, music is constantly playing, most of the time live. Veterans to the Hofbrauhaus will know all the cheers and dances, but new-comers will find themselves learning quick. One very fun activity is the shotski, picture 4. For those of drinking age, the shotski is four shot glasses stuck to a ski. A group of four adults will all drink a shot at the same time, while the entire restaurant cheers! All in all, the Hofbrauhaus is a joyous, fun place to be.

Favorite Dish: There are so many amazing dishes to choose from! For starters, I love the pretzels with bier cheese. The cheese is delicious! With this meal, you get four large soft pretzels, which is great to share with friends. The Kartoffel Suppe, or potato soup, is delicious as well. Buttered Spätzle is a great side dish, along with Sauerkraut. Spätzle is a kind of thick noodle, very good. For main dishes, the Schnitzel Cordon Bleu is amazing. It is pork, topped with ham, with sides of sweet potato salad and veggies. For dessert, the Chocolate Layer Cake is amazing... so amazing. If you like chocolate, don't pass it up!

Basically, all the food is good. Do yourself a favor, and don't order off of the American part of the menu. The German menu is best!

The Beer Brewery at Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh German food! Hofbrauhaus at night Shotski! Amazing German food!
    • Beer Tasting

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Keystone Cafe - Downtown

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jun 16, 2009

On a busy and hot day in Pittsburgh, the Keystone Cafe was an oasis of friendly staff, cool A/C, ice-cold drinks, and tasty food to rejuvenate our tired bodies. We were in Pittsburgh for the Penguins victory parade, and had been standing and walking for hours. Lhenne1 and I were finally heading out of the city when we decided it would be good to grab a bite to eat. Little did we know how hungry and tired we were until we finally sat down for the first time in hours.

There was a short line when we entered, though all but one of the tables were empty; I guess the clientele here is mostly downtown office workers. Within just two or three minutes we were asked to place our orders, so I got the whole Italian sub for just $4.25, a great deal. The sandwhich came in two individually wrapped halves, which I quickly devoured. LHenne1 also consumed her sandwich in just minutes.

Keystone Cafe Keystone Cafe Half of Keystone Cafe's Menu Go Pens! Keystone Cafe

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Brueggers Bagels - Grant Ave, downtown

by Ewingjr98 Written Jun 16, 2009

So here we were in Pittsburgh for the city's biggest celebration in years... maybe ever. The Pittsburgh Penguins had just won the Stanley Cup, so we drove all the way up from Washington DC to celebrate. The parade started around noon at the corner of 7th and Grant; since we spent the previous night at the Omni William Penn Hotel, we decided stay close by this area. Breakfast was an easy choice... Brueggers Bagels is located on the first floor of the hotel, on Grant Street with its big plate-glass windows overlooking the parade route.

We got in the relatively short line and quickly decided on two bottles of water and two egg, and cheese sandwiches on wheat bagels, one with ham and the other with bacon. The bottles of water were reasonably priced despite the parade, and the bagel sandwiches were around $3.

Honestly, though, these are some of the worst bagel sandwiches I've had anywhere. The eggs were pre-cooked then slightly microwaved when we ordered. The bacon was also precooked and just waiting for some sucker like us. The bagel wasn't toasted either, so the cheese didn't even begin to melt.

I guess the only consolation was that I got a full 460 calories from this sandwich, plus 71% of my daily allotment of cholesterol, 41% of my daily allowance of sodium, and 35% of my total fat intake. Healthy and tasty...

William Penn Hotel William Penn Hotel William Penn Hotel

Willow: Delish! Willow

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

It has been quite a while since I went- but extremely good food- over a year later, I still remember the crab cake! :)

The atmosphere is nice- dark and kind of trendy. If you would prefer to sit in couches and chairs in a living-room type setting over the traditional restaurant table, that is an option here!

Favorite Dish: Crab cake

Capitol Grill: Great Service at the Capitol Grill

by jls274 Written Jun 14, 2009

Spactacular service! We were even given a tour of the kitchen! The food was delicious, but it was about a year ago, so I don't remember exactly what we got.

Note: The way they prepare the steak, the outside is a little burnt-tasting. My husband loved this, but it wasn't my favorite preparation method.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Tessaro's: Good Burgers

by cjg1 Updated Jun 10, 2009

Tessaro's is a place that was mentioned to me as having incredible burgers. Jim and Tennille had never been to Tessaro's and were keen on trying it out. The place is a bit of a hole in the wall bar/restuarant but I am a fan of hole in the wall local joints. The inside is a bit dark with a nice bar area and several sections of seating. We were greeted at the door and quickly seated at a table for four. Our waitress was quick and handed us menus and took our drink orders. We all decided on burgers: Jim had a Bleu burger, I had a plain burger with grilled onions and Liz and Tennille both had an American Cheeseburger. The burgers cames with a choice of a side. I took the coleslaw while the other chose the potato chips. The burgers were very large and if I knew the size ahead of time I might have ordered the cooking temperature a bit differently. For the most part the burgers were good, they were not the OMG I was expecting. We washed down our burgers with some beer (Liz had Ice tea). I was glad to have seen and tasted the burgers for myself and wouldn't rule out coming back here to try another menu option.

Favorite Dish: The burgers were good but next time I will know how to order it right (the size definitely influences the temp). The coleslaw was very nice and Liz's chips were nice and crispy.

Liz's Cheeseburger and chips Taking my first bite My Burger with Grilled Onions

• jls274's Profile Photo

Toast!: Tasty and Trendy Toast!

by jls274 Written Jun 10, 2009

The food was wonderful and the wine suggestions were perfect. It is in an old office space or apartment building, so there are many rooms with just 4 or 5 tables- very cozy! It was pretty dark, so I couldn't really get pictures of the food, but the candle-lit room was relaxing. The pacing was slow and and the waitress very helpful in choosing our food. Many of the foods are local, too!

Favorite Dish: My husband and I went for our Anniversary dinner, so we ordered three appetizers and two smaller portion entrees, splitting them each.

Butter/Bread-The bread was good- tough on the outside and very soft in the middle. The butter was sweet and whipped. It was especially good on the shortbread cookie that came with the cheesecake.

Cheese Plate Appetizer- The french cheese was amazing and so was the soft Pennsylvania goat cheese.

Lobster Mac and Cheese- This had some very rich lobster with noodles, a light creamy sauce, and powdery cheese.

Mushrooms- A dish of mushrooms and noodles. It was good, but a little salty for my taste. (I am pretty sensitive to salt, though)

Crab Cake- There is quite a lot of crab and very little filler. Instead, the veggies that would have been used to make it are underneath. Yum!

Duck Sausage- Kind of salty and fatty to my taste, but good for those who love sausage!

Dessert!
    My husband got the Pot de Creme, and it was so good, I had to get one too. It was like a cold bed when sleepy on a hot winter day- like a non-frozen chocolate ice creme.

We also got the chocolate sampler. It was interesting and fun to try and discuss...especially the Chipoltle Pop Rock Chocolate!

Note: The menu changes daily.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Bigelow Grille: Outrageous Food

by cjg1 Updated Jun 10, 2009

The Bigelow Grille was the restaurant located in the Double Tree in which we were staying. After a long day and evening we decided to come here for a bite to eat before heading upstairs to our room. The restaurant was a nice size with a dining room to one side and a nice bar area to the other side. The bar was an L shape with stools and had some small tables surrounding the perimeter.

We had a seat at the bar which was surprisingly quite crowded considering the hour. I ordered a Miller Lite and Liz had a club soda with lime. The menu had some nice choices but two stuck out for us: steamed mussels and flatbread pizza. We were hungry but not starving so ordering two appetizers was just perfect for us. For dessert Liz couldn't resist and ordered some creme brulee. The food here was incredibly good and I was quite surprised.

The service was a bit spotty and one of the bartenders kept complaining loudly about the managment. I felt any staff issues should have been kept behind the scenes and not aired in front of customers. The staff problems didn't impact the food quality or the fact we had a nice end to our evening.

Favorite Dish: The steamed mussels were incredible and served in a huge bowl. The sauce was a tomato cream with shallots, garlic and pernod. The mussels were serced with cruch garlic bread sticks which were perfect for dipping in the tasty sauce. The flat bread pizza was griled with tomatoes, garlic, arugula and gorgonzola cheese. It was a perfect portion and extremely good. Liz loved her creme brulee and I must admit it was very good; though it's not one of my favorite desserts.

Flatbread Pizza Creme Brulee Mussels Miller Lite & Club Soda

• Fuel and Fuddle: Great food, great beer, great atmosphere

by emma5w Written Apr 16, 2009

I love this restaurant - it was among my favorites when I lived there, and it is an absolutely must-do when I visit the city. They have an incredible beer selection, not to mention their own brews. Their menu has great variety, and every dish I've ever tried has been delicious. And bonus: every sandwich comes with sweet potato fries! Yum!

Pittsburgh Hotels

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Central
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Pittsburgh

Comments

Pittsburgh Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Pittsburgh locals.
Map of Pittsburgh