More Places to eat in Memphis

Eating the King's favourite in Graceland
  • At  Rockabilly's Burger Shop in Graceland
    At Rockabilly's Burger Shop in...
    Pulled chicken at Central BBQ

Most Viewed Restaurants in Memphis

The Majestic Grille: Excellent dinner in an old movie theatre

by Jefie Written Aug 23, 2015

Having had our fill of southern food (i.e. barbecue, fried chicken, etc.), we decided to have dinner at The Majestic Grill on our last evening in Memphis. Located in an old movie theatre - a silent picture house dating back to 1913 to be more precise - it was exceptionally well remodeled into a restaurant operated by Dublin-born chef Patrick Reilly. In remodeling the venue, they kept just the right amount of throwback features, including the second floor balcony and a giant screen that still plays silent films or black & white classic movies, to give patrons a chance to feel the history of the place. But in addition to the beautiful decor, the accent is definitely put on the quality of the food they serve, and how it is served: our waiter was so attentive, he made us feel like we'd inadvertently stepped into a rather fancy restaurant; yet he also made us feel very welcome and comfortable. To start off, I ordered a cup of the tomato and basil bisque, and after my first spoonful, I knew we were in for a treat: you know you have stepped into a good place when such a simple dish can be made to taste so good! And it was made even better by the homemade bread we were brought. For the main course, I had the Waldorff salad with grilled chicken, while my sister went for the lemon grilled chicken breast. She said that as far as flavour goes, she said this was the best meal she had during the entire trip! To top it all of, they had an excellent wine selection, several of which you could order by the glass. In fact, the only thing that wasn't fancy about our dinner at The Majestic Grill was the bill :o)

My sister Pascale at The Majestic Grille
    • Wine Tasting

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Gus's Fried Chicken: World famous, hot & spicy fried chicken!

by Jefie Updated Aug 23, 2015

This is another spot I came across as I was looking at restaurant reviews and figured I had to try it! Just like at Central BBQ, there was a long waiting line to get a table, but things moved along fairly quickly. Besides, it was definitely worth the short wait! There weren't that many options on the menu, but what else would you want to order than fried chicken?! Especially when it's said to be world famous ;o) So I got the 2-piece plate, which came with baked beans, coleslaw and a slice of bread. For those unlucky ones who've only ever tried KFC, it has absolutely nothing to do with! In fact, it tasted more like our own Dixie Lee chicken (an eastern Canada delicacy!), but a tad spicier. And at $6 a plate, prices were beyond reasonable! They offered free drink refills, and they were pretty generous about it. Service was both quick and friendly, and I very much enjoyed the casual atmosphere of the place. Once again, the reviews had it right!

At Gus's Fried Chicken in Downtown Memphis Gus's Fried Chicken in Downtown Memphis My two-piece chicken plate

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Central BBQ: Go where the locals go!

by Jefie Updated Aug 22, 2015

There are so many barbecue options to choose from in Memphis, I had to rely on reviews to make sure I picked a good one. Central BBQ was one of the most recommended spots in the city, and after having had lunch there, I understand why! Don't be deterred by the long line-up, because things move along pretty fast. You simply put in and pay for your order as you walk in, then grab a spot at one of the tables (the place is huge so it shouldn't be a problem). As soon as it's ready, which is surprisingly fast, someone will bring your order to your table.

For some reason, I had in mind to eat a pulled chicken salad, but I couldn't find this option on the menu so I ordered a pulled chicken plate with a side salad: problem solved! I enjoyed the barbecue sauce bar option and tried them all, but the original Central BBQ sauce turned out to be my favorite and it made for the perfect salad dressing :o) The restaurant's slogan is "Go where the locals go", and it's more than a slogan: the place has a very casual feel to it, and I enjoyed the nice blend of locals and visitors. It's the only real barbecue spot we tried during our visit, so I can't really compare it with other spots, but our Backbeat tour guide said they had the best pulled pork in the city!

Central BBQ in Downtown Memphis Pulled chicken at Central BBQ

Rockabilly's Burger Shop: Good diner at Graceland Plaza

by Jefie Updated Aug 19, 2015

Since the shuttle bringing us back to Downtown Memphis wasn't scheduled to leave until 1:30 pm, we decided to have lunch at Graceland Plaza. This strip mall-like area is where you buy your tickets and wait for the shuttle that takes you to the mansion. It's mostly filled with souvenir shops, but there are also three dining options offered on the site (if you don't count the snack stands and the ice cream parlor). In my opinion, Rockabilly's Burger Shop was the most interesting one as far as ambience goes: it has a pretty cool retro diner look with Elvis songs (of course!) coming out of the jukebox non-stop. The place was packed when we got in, but things moved along pretty fast so we were able to snatch a table while waiting for our order (they yell out your number when it's ready). The menu doesn't have that many options, but it's reasonably priced. My sister had the grilled chicken with fries and she said it was quite tasty. As for me, after seeing it offered everywhere in town, I had to try it: what better place to eat a grilled peanut butter and banana sandwich than at Graceland?! It was a little greasy (it's made like a grilled cheese sandwich, so there's plenty of butter), but I can't deny it: the King had better taste in food than in home decoration!

Eating the King's favourite in Graceland My sister Pascale at Rockabilly's Burger Shop At  Rockabilly's Burger Shop in Graceland

DeJa Vu: Delicious New Orleans soulfood

by Jefie Updated Aug 19, 2015

Before leaving for Memphis, I had jotted down the names of a few restaurants I thought my sister might enjoy. Given how much she had liked the Cajun spot we went to in Washington, I was glad to find this New Orleans restaurant in Downtown Memphis. DeJa Vu is located on Main Street, and it happened to be just a short walk away from our hotel. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but when the hostess saw us looking at the menu, she came to greet us and kindly invited us in. The decor is pretty typical of New Orleans restaurants, and the walls are decorated with photos of Chef Gary Williams with local or visiting celebrities, including several New Orleans Saints football players :o) The menu features a variety of New Orleans specialties and, what I thought was really interesting, it includes several vegetarian and vegan options. My sister went for the chicken and sausage jambalaya, while I decided to give their honey roasted chicken and grilled cabbage a try. Both of our meals turned out to be huge and very tasty! Not only was the entire staff attentive and friendly, but Chef Gary himself came to check on us halfway through our meal to make sure we liked it. Since this was our first dining experience in Memphis, I'd say we were off to a very good start!

At Chef Gary Williams's DeJa Vu in Memphis, TN Corn bread, jambalaya and grilled cabbage

Dyer's Burgers: Dyer's Burgers

by butterflykizzez04 Written Jul 28, 2014

When I saw Since 1912...I had to stop...It was like a magnet drawing me...so we stepped off the scorching 96 degree streets of Memphis and entered back in time..well not that far back...lol !!!
    I was with my daughter Noel and it looked like something from the mid 70's or 80's..maybe that is when they decorated last...I personally would have decorated more RETRO back to the 20-30's time frame..old soda fountain instead of "yesterdays happy days look"...it looks like something some one wanted to give a happy days feel for ..but I didn't like it..hey but it's not my restaurant..I am here to cool off and eat...lol!!!

My hubby stayed across the street at WC Handy Park listening to some jazz and blues. We were told to sit anywhere and greeted from across the diner to take a seat. We grabbed the first one near the door. Noel wanted to watch the people on the streets passing by...we like to people watch...lol !!!

She went for the Rootbeer Float. I wanted to try one of their famous hot dogs from 1912...right??? Right !!!...So, I ordered the Split Hot Dog with chili added...she said that will be extra .99 ...I said..Okay give me the extra chili...((what's a hot dog without chili???)) she offered the extra .99 cheese too but I declined..they had no slaw...so i told her to give it to me the Dyer's way with chili added please and cold coca cola...

We had to wait about 20 minutes for the small order but hey we were enjoying talking and the cool AC..when it arrived???? It was in a hamburger bun..the frankfurter was split and grilled on top with chili, sliced onions (not chopped) sliced dill pickles, mustard and ketchup..so it was sort of hot dog hamburger...weird??? YES...but hey, I will try it..

I am not sure if it was the bun that threw me off, but I had to pull it off and eat it with a fork..the chili was good and the weiner not bad but sort of salty..but it was all beef frankfurter..so not bad...I would NOT eat here again.. Maybe stop in for a soda or milkshake or float..might try a burger...too many other places to eat to worry over this little location but at least I tried it out...I can say I have been here and ate here...lol !!!
    If you go, I hope you like it better than this Hot Dog lover!!!

The Brass Door: The Brass Door

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 9, 2014

Marx-Bensdorf was established in 1868 and is the oldest real estate firm in Memphis. For many years their main office was the classic Bensdorf building at 152 Madison. It was build in 1905. They moved to another classic building built in 1928 at 149 Monroe. The Building on Monroe is now known as The Cadre Building and is an Events Rental Facility. The secondary address for this building is 42 S. Second. Recently, former soccer coach Seamus Loftus opened "The Brass Door" - an Irish pub and restaurant in the old building on Madison

• Beer Tasting

Waffle House: Waffle House off I-40

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

Good Food, Fast Service and Great Price!!! My type of place!!!
    My husband and I opted to cross the parking lot of our hotel in Memphis and go to the Waffle House for breakfast. We haven't graced their doors before in Nashville and it has been awhile since we even sat down in a Waffle House anywhere..so why not??

We went in and grabbed a booth at the end and was immediately greeted by our server to get our drink orders. I opted for my usual Unsweetened tea with lemon (no lime here) and Tony ordered Black Coffee HOT and Strong!!!
    While looking over the menu, I grabbed my android so I could figure out the points for my meal choice. I opted for the BLT with out mayo and got the mayo on the side and no fries. Tony opted for a couple Blueberry Waffles and a large Glass of cold milk with maple syrup.

We both agreed it was a very good meal and it was only $13 with taxes. Can't beat that with a stick!!!! and the food was really good, the service was fast and friendly..would definitely eat here again!!!
    Highly recommend to all in the Memphis area or anywhere!!!

• Singles

Flynn's: Flynn's BBQ

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Today, Tony, Noelle and myself went to Beale Street to enjoy the sun and the afternoon. We had stopped at the Memphis Visitors Center on the Mississippi River near Mud Island and this very helpful attendant there said and I quote "You have to eat some MEMPHIS BBQ...it's REQUIRED !"..I loved that!!! So, after our tour of Mud Island about noonish we made a beeline walk to Beale Street to enjoy some Blues, Jazz and Memphis BBQ.

We decided to eat at Flynn's mainly because it was close to Red's the Voodoo shop and it smelled good. So, we went inside and it wasn't very crowded but the atmosphere was nice and the smells great..There was this guy setting up on the stage to play some music..didn't catch his name but he sang very nice. It wasn't blues or Jazz but it was good. He did sing "Walking in Memphis" and he did a wonderful job. Our waitress, her name I can't remember but she was really nice...quick and attentive..she filled our drinks every time we needed them without asking..

I ordered a tea with lemon and lime, Noelle got a Pink Lemonade and Tony ordered a "BIG ASS DRAFT BEER"...PBR...a must in Memphis...he also ordered a 1/2 slab of wet BBQ ribs with coleslaw, fries and Baked Beans for only $13..with extra sauce on the side..I ordered the Buffalo Spicy Chicken Tenders with celery, carrots and ranch dressing and Noelle ordered "South of Arizona Loosie" which was double chargrilled beef patties stuffed with Pepper Jack Cheese and fresh Jalapeno peppers topped with Salsa, onions tomatoes and lettuce..she opted not to get the tomato and lettuce..it also came with fries and potato salad...

I gave her 1/2 of my tenders and I took 1/2 of her Loosie...OMG..it was so dag on delicious...I could do that "Loosie" again and again...it was wonderful. The tenders where great and spicy..I loved them. I had to taste Tony's Ribs and his BBQ sauce was "to die for"..I had to dip my fries in the sauce and eat them...Great choice..I would definitely eat here again!!! The food was wonderful.
    The music was great..the waitresses were super and the ATMOSPHERE...TOTALLY BEALE STREET .....a must if you are in the area !!!!

My lovely Daughter Noel waiting on her Wings..
    • Beer Tasting

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Jarrett's: Closed in December 2009

by riorich55 Written Aug 9, 2011

It's been over 10 years since I first ate at this restaurant. Obviously writing this tip 10 years after my first visit I can't remember exactly what we ordered. On that occasion I was down in Memphis for the very first time. It was in my days as an independent consultant and my first assignment for my new client PepsiAmericas (who I eventually went to work for) was to take a 3 day trip down to Memphis during my 25th wedding anniversary. Fortunately they agreed that I could take my wife down to Memphis on the trip as long as I paid for her expenses. On our actual anniversary we ate at the fancy restaurant at the Peabody Hotel Downtown. One of the other nights we had dinner here. I just remember that we ate outside and both the service and food were very good.

Favorite Dish: Over the course of the next 8 years I've probably made about a half dozen trips to Memphis. On one of those trips I came here again and I remember that evening I had some very good scallops. From what I remember that time there were 3 or 4 very large ones cooked just right.

So it was with great anticipation that I found myself down in Memphis again in 2009. I took a co-worker this time and although the food was still good, it didn't quite live up to the first 2 times there. But 2 out of 3 times we did have a great meal.

From my menu ticket this time this is what we ordered. Lobster Bisque which was very rich and creamy. If you go make sure you get the "little extra". They'll know what you mean. My co-worker had the pork tenderloin and I had the grouper. They were both a little overcooked and on the dryer side. We skipped dessert this evening as we had eaten out the 4 previous nights on the trip and figured we would watch our figures.

Entrance in a Strip Mall Grouper
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• atufft's Profile Photo

Miss Polly's Soul Food Cafe: Traditional Soul Food, Mostly Deep Fried

by atufft Written Jul 26, 2011

This place is popular with the locals as it serves up the mostly deep fried menu so popular in the south. The walls are decorated with early concert posters and news articles related to past great music.

I ordered a pulled pork sandwich, collard greens, and cold slaw. The bread for the sandwich was disappointing hogie style bun that resembled an CO2 inflated Wonderbread hot dog bun. The pulled pork was good though. The collard greens were outstanding. The cold slaw OK. My wife made the mistake of ordering the deep fried catfish and french fried sweet potatoes. These were actually prepared as they should be, but she found the catfish heavy on the black pepper. The price was right and service good. Food can be ordered "to go".

Miss Polly's Soul Food Cafe

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Germantown Commissary: So Good Y'ull Slap Yo' Mama!

by TravellerMel Written Jun 10, 2011

No fewer than three people recommended this restaurant to me during our annual 1-day trek to Memphis - and it lived up to the expectations! A little, funky, "hole-in-the-wall" was just what we were looking for. When you open the door, you can smell the barbeque - the meat, not the sauce. Our waitress was kicks - had a laughing, and brought the food and drinks quickly. Ample portions - I had the chopped pork plate, which came with cole slaw, bbq beans, a deviled egg, and a roll. The meat was juicy and tender, with not a lot of sauce (you can add more from the jars on the table), the sauce was just the way I like it = a little sweet with a little tiny kick of vinegar = and everything else tasted so GOOD! I took some home for lunch the next day. And when I tell you the total bill, after tax but before tip, was $12 - I don't know of a better deal! So

Dining room at the Germantown Commissary

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Earnestine & Hazel's: Home of the "Soul Burger": Earnestine & Hazel's

by Kaspian Updated Jun 3, 2011

It's about 1:00 AM and some kids in their mid-twenties have just dragged me into a horse-drawn carriage to travel for late-night eats. "Oh, you have to try a 'soul burger'! You have to! It's a Memphis thing--best burger ever!," Andrea repeats as our carriage rolls slowly from Beale Street down South Main. Five minutes later we come to a stop at one of the most decrepit and seedy looking intersections I've ever behold with mine own eyes. "Here we are," she says happily. I look up at the dark, crumbling structure in front of me--a sign hangs precariously from the second floor casting an ominous orange glow across the sidewalk: "Earnestine & Hazel's Sundry Store". "What?! ...In there? You're joking!," I exclaim, "And just what the heck is a 'sundry store' anyway?" My reaction is exactly what this inebriated trio anticipated and they burst into laughter. "Just c'mon!," they say.
    Walking inside is a relief; there are people sitting at tables drinking beer, a couple of cooks at the grill, a waitress, and some folks playing pool... Everything's relatively normal and chill. Sure, it's seedy enough, but most bars in my hometown rival this level of derelict and the majority are much worse. I'm comfortable in places like this. Shane leans over the bar and orders three Coors with three soul burgers, paying the woman behind the counter upfront.
    "We go upstairs," Andrea tells me. The stairs are crazy, all crooked and broken, we pass a notice painted on a blue fuse-box which reads, "No dope smoken, no cursin, no freeloaden. E.H." Good to know that at least there are rules! The upstairs corridor is pitch darkness with only a bulb in the bathroom to illuminate the way. A thick smell of must pervades the air. There's nobody else here. "This bar used to be a brothel," she explains to me, "Check out how spooky these rooms are--I don't think anything's changed since the 40s." On old pinball machine, jukebox, and table decorate one room. I take a flash photo so I can see what exactly is in there. My digital display shows holes are everywhere in the walls. As a desensitized horror movie fan, even I have to admit that there's something really creepy about this place. "C'mon," Andrea says, "...End of the hall."
    At the far end of the corridor on the right is a small room, almost as dark as the rest of the floor, except for a small red lamp and light shining in through the window from the outside "sundry" sign. As my eyes adjust to the darkness I make out a bar, a cash register, a small stereo, and an elderly black gentleman with white hair wearing a vest and straw hat sitting behind the bar on a stool. For a moment I think I'm seeing some sort of ghostly apparition. Andrea says, "This is Nate! Nate, this is Ed from Canada." "Please to meet you," the man says with a smile and a cool gravelly voice echoing a million late-nights spent serving liquor in a smoky Southern juke joint.
    I order two Budweisers for Andrea and I and we take a seat at the end of the bar.
    A few minutes later, Shane and Andrea's boyfriend, Jay, appear in the doorway with an old guy named "Garrett" in tow. Garrett has a cigarette dangling from his lip and makes Nate-the-bartender look like a strapping lad by comparison. Behind them is the waitress with our soul burgers and it appears as though she's forgotten the Coors we ordered with them.
    It doesn't look like a big deal, this burger... Sort of thin and served with a bag of plain potato chips. I'll be able to eat it in about 15 seconds flat. At first bite it doesn't taste like much more than a chewy, budget-diner hamburger. On second bite a miraculous, multicolour flavour surge envelopes my palate--it's sour, peppery, sweet, spicy, rich, warm, slightly salty and comforting. "Wow," I mumble out loud. I can't put my finger on what exactly is in this--there's cheese, caramelized onions, green peppers (I think--it's too dark in here to tell), black pepper, pickles, and... Worcestershire sauce? Maybe Worcestershire? Pickle juice? Yeah, it could be pickle juice. Old Garrett leers at me from the other end of the bar, "Not too bad, huh?" All I can do with a mouthful is nod enthusiastically in response.
    As we finish eating, seven more people in the same age range as my young companions come through the door. A few of them are really beautiful girls, dressed up for an evening of dancing. Turns out Nate's little corner of the world--a dark, smoky, second-floor room no bigger than most people's kitchen, in a dilapidated building at the seedy end of downtown, is the hip place to be for the twenty-somethings at 2:00 in the morning after a Saturday night out. The prettiest girl among them smiles for my camera and waits patiently as it tries in vain to locate something to focus on through the darkness.
    Sadly, Nate announces last call and the evening too swiftly comes to an end. Our gang reluctantly goes back downstairs and out the front doors into a warm Memphis breeze. I realize that we never did get our Coors beers that Shane paid for, but he's so drunk on alcohol and cloud nine right now he can hardly understand a word I'm saying.
    I returned the next morning to take photos of the outside of the building and found out much later that Earnestine & Hazel's cleans its grills with pickle juice. So I was right with one of my initial flavour guesses, but that alone can't account for how scrumptious the soul burger was as a whole. I wish I never had that burger... What am I supposed to do when I get a craving? The South Main of Memphis, Tennessee is a hell of a long way from the wilds of Canada.

Earnestine & Hazel's (2011) Earnestine & Hazel's - Soul Burger (2011) Earnestine & Hazel - Cookin' The Good Stuff (2011) Earnestine & Hazel - Andrea, Jay, Garrett (2011) Earnestine & Hazel's - Nate (2011)

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Rock-N-Roll Cafe: Graceland

by Toughluck Written Oct 27, 2010

Located in the Graceland complex, it's a full-line restaurant. One of three eating places in the complex.

Favorite Dish: Full breakfast, and full range menu. It looked great, but we were headed towards the Airplane display and found the 50's diner (limited menu) and ate there.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Silky O'Sullivan's: Irish Goats on Beale Street

by Toughluck Written Oct 27, 2010

It's a bar with an Irish flavor, playing Blues! It's all American. The place has two sides. There is the inside, out of the weather, when it's rainy or cold. (I don't think it gets cold in Memphis. September and the mid- 90's!). The larger half is an outside court, behind a false front, historic facade. It's here that the Irish Diving Goats are located. Yes, real goats, no real diving.

Favorite Dish: We had drinks and listened to the house band. Drinks were $3-$6. They list a full menu of BBQ, oysters and sandwiches.

Music Goats The Patio

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
The Roulhac Mansion
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Memphis

Comments

Memphis Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Memphis locals.
Map of Memphis