Map &

Small-Group Tour of Austin and Texas Hill Country
From $25.00
Small-Group Tour of Austin and Texas Hill Country
From $25.00

The Salt Lick BBQ Tips (10)

Salt Lick: Winery & BBQ Pit too

A real happening. We started in the winery purchasing our wine & cold beer. The lines were endless to sit inside. We ate in the courtyard with live music. The BBQ ribs, brisket & sides were just so good. Service was great.

Favorite Dish wine & bbq

apbeaches's Profile Photo
Apr 26, 2014

Salt Lick: Lunch is great!

The Salt Lick makes the BEST Bar-B-Q in the entire world. Watch it smoke on the huge open pit.
Go for lunch for shorter wait and low prices. The Senior plate is $4.95 at lunch and includes
ribs,brisket and saugage, potatoe salad, cole slaw ,beans, hot bread, crisp dill pickles and sliced sweet onions. All this for less than the price of a hamburger at most places.
The atmosphere at the Dripping Springs original location is "real". Rustic original building
steeped with Texas charm. Nothing fancy, but who wants fancy with bar-b-que.
Popular with Texans and tourists alike. I promise you will return ASAP.
Bring your own beer or wine as none is sold at the Salt Lick. Most prople bring a cooler full of their favorite. You can oder soft drinks and ice tea and coffee. The desserts are fantastic, homemade cobblers and pies plus Blue Bell ice cream.What more can you want.

Favorite Dish My favorite dish is the mixed plate as it provides three meats of your choice. With a group try the family style. They just keep bringing what ever you want as long as you can eat.

May 23, 2007

Salt Lick: If You Love BBQ Don't Miss The Salt Lick

After talking to friends who had lived in Austin and checking out some other reviews on it became clear that my friends and I had to check out The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs.

Yes, its out of the way (20-25 minutes from downtown Austin), and you feel like you are driving down a back road straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but once you get there, its worth it.

There's a gas station about 8-10 miles from the restaurant, and make sure you stop there to bring your own beer. The restaurant is in a dry county and has no liquor liscence. It seems as if there's almost always a wait, so its great to have your own beer to help pass the time as you hang out and listen to the band before you get seated.

Favorite Dish Ribs. Moist, tender, and cooked to perfection. Of course we took home a container of their dry rub. We also enjoyed the brisket, sausage, and turkey. The sides are very basic, but also fantastic. Who doesn't like "neverending beans"?

yoyosh's Profile Photo
Jan 03, 2007

Salt Lick: get yer ass to driftwood texas

if you're in TEXAS, and you want to do it TExas style, please find DRIFTWOOD TExas, and go to the salt lick

don't be all vegetarian about it, ok?

Favorite Dish surprisingly? the potato salad. Now, I am a woman who HATES, HATES mayonaisse , of any kind, for any reason.....
The potato salad here has no mayonaiise....I think it's German style?
Anyway, it's the best I've ever had.

biancaneve's Profile Photo

7705 Metro Center Drive, Austin, Texas, 78744, United States
7809 East Ben White Boulevard, Austin, Texas, 78741, United States
7625 East Ben White Blvd., Austin, Texas, 78741, United States
7712 E Riverside, Austin, Texas, 78744, United States

Salt Lick: Three words ... Oh, my God!

The Salt Lick is outside Austin proper, in the hill country. It offeres the best barbecue I've ever eaten, and plenty of it! The sides are excellent. You bring your own beverages, which really saves on teh bill. In summer there's acoustic entertainment outside. The place is very rustic and family friendly.

Favorite Dish I loved the ribs. Actually, I loved everything I tried.

LiLz's Profile Photo
Sep 03, 2006

Salt Lick: Amazing BBQ!

It's a casual place with great, great, great food! We still compare it to other BBQ places we've been to and we haven't found a place as good, especially for the brisket! When we went we ordered combination of meats that we shared between three people with heaping plates and sides of potato salad, cole slaw, beans, pickles etc. It was a filling, delicious dinner and if we're ever in the area again, we will definitely go back!

It was about a 15 to 20 minute drive from Austin center if I remember correctly.

patatina's Profile Photo
Aug 05, 2006

Salt Lick: Bigger than Texas BBQ

The Salt Lick is beyond description. The meals are huge, the atmosphere is so texan that you can never forget where you are.

Only one complaint - why the plactic tumblers to enjoy our wines ?

Favorite Dish BBQ buffett plate

AHSIMON's Profile Photo
Apr 15, 2005

The Salt Lick - try it in the...

The Salt Lick - try it in the Airport, if nothing else.
The 'real' Salt Lick is actually several miles outside of Austin, out in the country, down a long, winding road. I went there once, and it was interesting. But, they have a restaurant in the Airport, which I visit almost every trip to Austin.

Favorite Dish Brisket BBQ Sandwich

Sunshine64's Profile Photo
Aug 25, 2002
ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

"Austin through the eyes of a local"
butterfly_girl's Profile Photo

"Austin-Off the Beaten Path"
Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

"Austin: Capital City of Texas"
Djinn76's Profile Photo

"The capital of the Lone Star State"
Jefie's Profile Photo

"Keep Austin Weird!"

The Salt Lick: The Salt Lick

You sit outside under trees on the grounds of an old foundry. You bring your own beer, since its not served in this area. They often have live music as well. Very laid back atmosphere.

Favorite Dish Brisket, ribs, etc. It is all-you-can-eat and everything is great.

Aug 24, 2002

Salt Lick: Meat, Meat .... and more Meat !!

This place is located out of nowhere. We had to drive a good hour or so to get here from Austin. But it was all worth it. Their BBQ is the best !

Favorite Dish Order the family style dinner. All you can eat BBQ!.

pharsadi's Profile Photo
Jan 28, 2006

Things To Do Near The Salt Lick BBQ

Lake Travis

Every Summer, there is always someone you know, or someone you know who knows someone else, who will throw a party on a party barge out at Lake Travis. The party barge usually ends up at Devil's...

Texas State Cemetery

Maybe it seems strange including a cemetery on a list of THINGS TO DO, but this is really an interesting place! We love rambling through old cemeteries and the Texas State Cemetery presented an...

French Legation Museum

I was a little surprised to hear about a French connection in Austin so I decided to stop by the French Legation Museum. Turns out that French connection wasn't such a great one since it was the home...

O. Henry Museum

William Sydney Porter was born in Greensboro, N.C. in 1862. He moved to a ranch near Cotulla, Texas in 1882 and to Austin, Texas in 1884. Porter was a pharmacist, a draftsman, a bank teller, and a...

Oakwood Cemetery

Oakwood Cemetery is Austin's oldest cemetery. Among its most famous "residents" is Susanna Dickinson, the only American woman to survive the battle of the Alamo, and mother of the babe of the Alamo...

Austin Visitor Center

A good place to stop first is the Austin/State Capitol Visitors Center located in the state capitol complex. I parked my car and decided to walk around downtown Austin and the parking area was right...

Getting to The Salt Lick BBQ