Georgetown Restaurants

Fresh and delicious
    Belgian Waffles with Berries

Most Recent Restaurants in Georgetown

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Alamo Grill of Georgetown: Great Mexican food but...

by matcrazy1 Updated Oct 13, 2006

It's my recomendation for budget visitors who loves cosy atmosphere, great Mexican food and can afford a bit slow and even partly unfriendly service :-(. Well, maybe my waiter had worse day or maybe the owner already had released him.

This 2-floor restaurant, located just a few steps from shopping M street grabbed my attention immediatelly: the Southwestern saloon facade in dusty yellows, bright blue windows, numerous small lights on balconies upstairs and a few tables put down outside on a peaceful street. And they served Mexican food, I had fallen in love since my first long US trip (the West) in 2003.

We were served in the beginning by a woman who was very nice and patient. She helped us to choose and order meals. But then a young guy replaced her. He was simply unfriendly, maybe even a bit rude. Well, he refused to answer my questions on food. He told "wait a few minutes, I am busy" although there were almost no consumers. Well, he was busy talking loudly with someone by a cell phone. Then he came back, he was nervous and fast and didn't follow my suggestion to speak slower... I couldn't understant a word what he said with strange accent (local?) and I had to give up. Well, at the end he brought a receive put it on the table and wrote on it "plus 18% tip obligatory." When I asked about it he simply replied that all MUST pay at least 18% for his service. Hmm... no comments. I didn't see any notice in the manu about obligatory tips. I was confused and eventually paid that 18% (almost 18%) - in total almost $40 for two with beer and water.

Favorite Dish: I would rate the food I ate 4 or even 5-star but this waiter lowers my overall rank.
    We had traditional Mexican enchilada, beef burrito and tortilla soup. I liked especially Alamo's sauces. Add free chips and salsa. The worst was Budweiser beer, too light for me (almost water :-).

Address: 1063 31st Street NW, Washington, DC 20007-4408

Directions: In Georgetown. Nearest metro stop: Foggy Bottom - George Washington University (blue and orange lines) at 23rd St & I St, NW (0.65 miles away). Map here

Phone: + 1 (202) 342 2000

ALAMO GRILL OF GEORGETOWN MY FOOD MY FOOD BALCONIES ENTRANCE

The 1789: The Washingtonian Calls This A Georgetown Legend

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Sep 30, 2006

Though I haven't eaten here in years, this restaurant only gets the very best reviews, so I am sure that it is still a fabulous place to go. It is extremely elegant so you wouldn't even consider going here unless you were dressed in your best. In fact a jacket is required of the men making it one of the few places left that does so.

You may want to choose this restaurant to celebrate your child's entrance to or graduation from Georgetown University or just for a very special occasion. It is especially pretty at holiday time.

Address: 1226 36th Street, NW

Directions: Two blocks from Georgetown University.

Phone: (202) 965-1789

Website: http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/Profiles/1789.html

Sequoia: Great Place On A Sunday Afternoon

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 25, 2006

Sequoia is owned by the same restaurant group,that owns the Bryant Grill in Bryant Park behind the Fifth Ave librairy in NYC. Years ago, it housed Nathan's Plum, owned by Warner Leroy of Tavern On The Green fame. I liked it better then because I was a big Nathan's Plum fan, but Washingtonians apparently did not, so now it is, and has been for a long time, Sequoia. It really is in a wonderful location right on the Potomac River in Georgetown. It is a great place to go on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and sit outside either having lunch or something to drink at the bar. When I lived in Washington, I used to love to go there and I have some great tales about my adventures there.

My oldest son and his wife had their wedding reception there too and I think it can be reserved for parties.

As for the food, it is basically good, but not absolutely great American.

Address: 3000 K Street, NW

Directions: On the Potomac River in Georgetown.

Phone: 202.944.4200

Website: http://www.arkrestaurants.com

Clyde's Of Georgetown: Great Atmosphere and Good American Food

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 25, 2006

When I was attending college in Washington, DC, the original Clydes opened on M Street. At the time girls did not go to bars without a guy. How things have changed. In fact I think it changed the year after I graduated from college, because I started seeing women, not only in Clydes, but also other places without being on the arm of a man. I even worked up the courage to go with some of my girlfriends. This was no easy thing after having been sheltered in Catholic girls schools and colleges all my life.

Clydes was definitely the place to go. Young women went there with dreams of meeting a congressmen or a senator (this was when we were still impressed with politicians--during the days of the Kennedys), or some potentially successful young man.

Clyde's of Georgetown is the original restaurant of the Georgetown Group.

The other restaurants are:

Clyde's, Old Ebbitt Grill, Tower Oaks Lodge and The Tombs -- serving casual American food in a casual but fun setting. Dress can be whatever.

1789 Restaurant -- very elegant upscale restaurant. Dress is formal and you wont be able to order a hamburger here.

To know where other Georgetown Group restaurants are see website below.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers.

Address: 3236 M Street, NW

Directions: M Street between Key Bridge and Wisconsin Avenue, back entrance is in the Georgetown Mall.

Phone: 202-333-9180

Website: http://www.clydes.com/main

• Study Abroad

Paolo's: Good Italian Food, Fun,

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Jul 24, 2006

This was my hangout in my hayday after my divorce about 20 years ago. It was a very trendy place at the time and we had lots of fun here. The food was good, California Italian, i.e. you wont find it in Italy.

I have not been there in about 5 years because when I am in town visiting friends we usually end up at Martins Tavern -- a.k.a. Billy Martins -- across the street so I can get my Maryland crab fix.

It is frequented by politicians--as are a lot of restaurants, of course--students, people out for an afternoon stroll, Georgetown residents, lady's who lunch, and people coming in from the suburbs among others.

1303 Wisconsin Ave, NW
    (202) 333-7353

Monday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 11:30 PM
    (Bar - last call @ 1:30 AM - Pizzas served until 12:30 AM)
    Friday & Saturday: 11:30 AM - 12:30 AM
    (Bar - last call @ 2:30 AM - Pizzas served until 1:30 AM)
    Sunday: 11:00 AM - 11:30 PM
    (Bar - last call @ 1:30 AM - Pizzas served until 12:30 AM)

Favorite Dish: I particularly liked the pizza and the spaghetti. They also made a pretty good sidecar.

Address: 1305 WISCONSIN AVE NW

Directions: On Wisconsin Avenue just a few blocks up from M Street and across from Martins Tavern.

Phone: 202 333 7353

Website: http://www.capitalrestaurants.com

Paolo's, Georgetown, Washington, DC  2006

The Tombs: University and Locals' Hangout, Fun Atmosphere

by ForestqueenNYC Written Jul 24, 2006

The Tombs has a pub like atmosphere and is a hangout for Georgetown University students and local residents. I often went there with my aunt who lived on 35th Street. The atmosphere is noisy, but fun. It is downstairs from the upscale 1789 restaurant.

Like the 1789 and Clydes it is part of the Georgetown Group.

Favorite Dish: Hamburgers are good here. Don't order the pecan pie. Unless they have changed recently, the crust is not great. Probably can be said for all their pies, but not sure.

Address: 1226 36th Street, NW

Directions: A couple of blocks from Georgetown University in the downstairs of the 1789.

Phone: (202) 337-6668

Website: http://www.clydes.com/main/index.cfm

• Rich62's Profile Photo

CHADWICKS: GREAT AMBIANCE, GREAT SEAFOOD

by Rich62 Written Nov 19, 2005

The food was very good, so was the service. This restaurant is loaded with ambiance. It doesn't try too hard to have a "theme", it just is what it is. It has a nice bar in one area and tables on two levels.

But Chadwicks is famous for something unrelated to food. Supposedly, the famed spy Aldrich Ames met with his Soviet counterpart here to pass information on to the Soviet Union. Mr. Ames can't eat here anymore, he is dining on prison food, but you can enjoy Chadwicks all you want! My wife and I agree, after spending six days in the DC area, this is one of the two best restaurants we found, and we would go back!

Favorite Dish: My wife loved the Reuben Sandwich, and I loved the Crabcake Sandwich.

Address: 3205 K St. NW

Directions: Corner of K St. & Wisconsin Avenue, underneath the Whitehurst Freeway

OUR TABLE AT CHADWICKS; A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL THIS IS CHADWICKS ITS UNDERNEATH THE WHITEHURST FREEWAY ON THE STREET IN FRONT OF CHADWICKS SUPPOSEDLY ALDRICH AMES SAT HERE
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Vietnam Georgetown Restaurant: Good Vietnamese Food in Georgetown

by rmdw Written Aug 30, 2003

Along one of the main streets of Georgetown (M Street) is a very good Vietnamese restaurant. Opened in 1973, it provides a wide variety of Vietnamese food.

We found the quality of service to vary like night & day (pun intended). Our first time there, in the evening, the service was professional, prompt, and courteous. The food was so good that we came back around noon the next day to get some snacks for the road. But the service, this time by an older fellow was atrocious ... and we were just ordering takeout! (Note: I'd be curious to get feedback from other people who go here during the day. If this was just a onetime bad experience then I'll gladly revise this.)

Favorite Dish: The standard by which I compare Vietnamese restaurants involves two things: Beef noodle "soup" and "salad" or summer rolls, which aren't deep fried. The soup here was quite good. The summer rolls were excellent!

Address: 2934 M Street NW Washington, DC 20007

Phone: 202.337.4536

• Study Abroad

Instant Answers: Georgetown

Comments

Georgetown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Georgetown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Georgetown sightseeing.