Map &

Been here?
Rate it

Top Tours

Washington DC Super Saver: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley and Monuments by Moonlight Tour
From $78.00
Washington DC Hop-on Hop-off Bus Tour and Attractions Pass
From $90.00
Half-Day Grand Tour of Washington DC
From $49.00

Weather Reports Tips (5)

Rain couldn't ever possibly change my plans...There's always an alternative, nothing an umbrella can't fix. Right?
It rained so hard that records were shattered. For the first time, all the Federal Buildings, including ALL museums closed. But fortunately, I had made reservations through my congressman for a tour of the Capitol building. It redeemed our trip.

PS...See all the crazy tourists meandering in the background??? Moments later they were running, screaming in every direction. It came down in buckets!

dtownkitty's Profile Photo
Sep 22, 2006

Summertime in DC

Summertime in DC means three things: heat, humidity and hundreds of thousands of tourists!

Twenty million people visit DC each year, and on some summer days it seems like half of them are there all at once. Competition for entry to popular places like the White House and Holocaust Museum is fierce in summer, with the day’s allotted tickets often handed out within the first hour of availability! You’ll also face long lines at the Washington Monument and to get in the US Capitol, sometimes for a couple of hours.

The heat and humidity can be unbearable. All the walking and standing in line will leave you exhausted and sunburnt.

My tip would be to visit in spring if possible. I’d love to see the city in late April, when the flowers bloom and the famous Japanese cherry trees blossom. It will be just as busy with tourists, but far more enjoyable weather-wise.

Jun 23, 2005

Water, water, everywhere

When I visited D.C during June, one day I made the mistake of drinking coke instead of water. Big mistake!! I ended up really dehydrated (very sore head, overheated, very sick). I felt so ill I wanted to die! The cure: a large glass of cool water. Took ages to drink it, but I felt so well by the evening, I went out for pasta. The centre of Washington has heaps of clean water fountains, and the water is not only delicious, but free.

lnalba's Profile Photo
May 30, 2003

Parking 'Boots'

I had not spent much time in big cities so I remember being fascinated to watch the parking wardens outfitting the front wheel of violating autos with 'The Boot' until the tow truck arrived for their victim. However, an even greater shock awaited as we returned to the reality of Spring in Fredericton!

Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
May 13, 2003
Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Washington D.C.

3100 South St. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States
1075 Thomas Jefferson Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States
1310 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States
1111 30th Street NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States
2800 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20007, United States
2650 Virginia Avenue Northwest, Washington DC, District of Columbia, 20037, United States

Just beware of the cruel...

Just beware of the cruel winter, you won't be able to walk and the city will look *nothing* like in this picture... by the way, that's Pennsylvania Avenue seen from the Capitol.

Sep 08, 2002

Top 5 Washington D.C. Writers

matcrazy1's Profile Photo

"Neither American nor European City :-)"
Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

"Washington DC"
Yaqui's Profile Photo

"Washington D.C."
globetrotter_2006's Profile Photo

doug48's Profile Photo

"Washington D.C."
View Member

Things To Do Near Washington D.C.

Things to Do

We finished our day in Georgetown by visiting two very different historic cemeteries located quite close to one another. The first, Oak Hill Cemetery, was founded in 1848 on a 15-acre plot of land...

Watergate Complex

The Watergate Complex will forever be linked with the scandal that led to Richard Nixon's resignation in 1974. The complex itself is made up of five buildings, i.e. one office building, three...
Things to Do

Georgetown University was founded in 1789 and is America's oldest Roman Catholic University. It is said that during the Civil War, Georgetown students and instructors joined the Union Army while...

Dumbarton Oaks

This fabulous estate dates back to the 19th century and it belonged to Robert and Mildred Bliss. Robert Bliss was an American diplomat who had graduated from Harvard University and, while they were...

Kennedy Performing Arts Center

Be sure to go on the Kennedy Center webpage and be on the lookout for free things to do here. Just today the 20th of March I attended a free Concert by Punjabi MC an Indian DJ who combine hip hop with...

Islamic Mosque & Cultural Center

This great Mosque was founded in 1947 during President Truman's term in office, and it is the very first Mosque to be built in the nation's capital. It came about after the sudden death of a Tursking...

Getting to Washington D.C.

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!