Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Seattle Highlights Sightseeing Tour
"After hotel pickup start your 1.5-hour sightseeing tour by comfortable minibus in downtown Seattle. Your guide engages you with humorous stories and in-the-know facts and stats about the city. Tunes from Seattle’s famous musicians like Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain amp up the liveliness on board.Weave through the main retail district and cruise past the culinary landmark of Pike Place Market and the picturesque waterfront. Gaze at Seattle’s oldest buildings in Pioneer Square and learn about the city’s gold rush while passing through Old Town. Then drive through the Chinatown-Internat known locally as ‘ID' which dates back to the early 1900s.Cruise past the former home of Kurt Cobain and the high school that Quincy Jones and Jimi Hendrix attended. Along Lake Washington
From $42.00

Seattle Highlights Sightseeing Tour
From $42.00

Seattle's Favorite Sightseeing and Cocktail Cruise
"Aboard this cruise you will be in the hands of a professional and in the lap of luxury. A talented bartender and skilled boat handler Captain Dylan will introduce you to Seattle. Starting in South Lake Union where all of Seattle's major industries have flourished you will cruise by boats and floating homes of all sizes shapes and ages including the oldest floating home built in 1907. Cocktail in hand or ""mocktail"" for those not enthusiastic about alcohol or too young to imbibe
From $65.00

Fremont Troll Tips (7)

Oh no, the troll has been outed

This has long been one of Seattle's secret places that we hoped no one would discover. Alas, if it's in the Virtual Tourist list, it is now out in that dreaded public domain. No matter, if it has been outed, you might as well go there if you are visiting Seattle and have a chuckle. Beware: parking is hard to find; you'll need no more than 30 minutes on site; and inconsiderate bozos who should know better think it's ok to tag the troll. Look past all of that and enjoy the Troll.

fred98115's Profile Photo
fred98115
Jul 13, 2011

...

I'm all about public art and so when I read about the Fremont Troll, I had to go check it out for myself. Designed by local Seattleites for the Fremont Arts Council, this creepy 18 foot sculpture can be found hidden beneath the Aurora Bridge in the funky neighborhood of Fremont. With one shiny eye glaring at you and its left hand holding an actual VW bug, the Fremont Troll is really a cool piece of art. Great for photos!

If taking public transportation, which I did, take the #26 bus from 3rd and Pine in downtown. Get off on the first stop after the bridge (it was a numbered street, 39th or something). This is where it gets tricky, so when you get off, you may want to ask around. Anyway, I crossed the street, walked under a bridge, and made my way to 36th St. where I made a left and walked up the hill. At the top of the hill is the Aurora Bridge and underneath it to your left is the troll.

Give yourself some time in Fremont for exploration because just a few blocks away from the troll is the largest statue of Lenin in the U.S. and other pieces of public art. Funny thing, but on leaving Fremont, I bumped into a couple from my hostel who basically had the same Fremont itinerary as me, i.e., troll, Lenin, Blue C Sushi. What a kawinky dink! Together, we ended up taking a different bus back to our hostel in downtown. It was a fun day all around.

Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo
Phalaenopsis03
Sep 25, 2006

The Freemont Troll

Having seen the movie "10 Things I Hate About You" which was set in Seattle, one of the scenes showed two characters having a conversation under a bridge and there was this troll. So naturally when I visited my friends in Seattle, I had to go see it. It's a bit difficult to find. We actually missed a turn and had to cross the bridge and then make a U-Turn to get back to it.

It's a pretty impressive place. We went when it was a bit dark so the pictures didn't turn out so great, also my camera's flash isn't really effective beyond 6feet in low light conditions. You kind of feel like a kid when you are here because you want to climb all over it, especially the top of the troll. Be careful though, there's a lot of loose sand all over the statue and you don't want to fall off the top, it's pretty high.

It's not a must visit... but if you've seen the movie and enjoyed it, then it's something you should see. Other than that, I think it's worth the effort to go and see it. It's part of the Seattle experience.

It's in a residential area so just park in the neighborhood. We arrived when most people were home so there wasn't any space... so we just double-parked, took pics for a few minutes and took off.

joits's Profile Photo
joits
Dec 27, 2005

Fremont Troll

Okay, so when I would hear about this famous troll I kept picturing in my head a small statue like troll about the size of a man. I thought he might be more like a statue of sasquatch than anything.

I had worked in downtown Seattle for almost three years by the time I finally went with a friend to see the troll. I laughed when I saw it because it was NOT what I had thought. The eye of the troll is kind of scary, but the whole thing is just great. So creative to make it right under the bridge! I also love the VW bug he has in his left hand.

wanderlust23's Profile Photo
wanderlust23
Jun 08, 2005

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Fremont Troll

Hotels
2500 Aurora Ave. N, (formerly Howard Johnson), Seattle, Washington, 98109, United States
58 East Boston Street, Seattle, Washington, 98102, United States
4140 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, Washington, 98105, United States
4242 Roosevelt Way NE, Seattle, Washington, 98105, United States
4000 University Way NE, Seattle, Washington, 98105, United States
1150 Fairview Ave. N, Seattle, Washington, 98109, United States

Freemont Troll - Under the...

Freemont Troll - Under the Freemont Bridge. This cement troll was created by local artisans, who used a VW bug to put under the troll's hand. He has huge glass eyes and a single tear coming down his cheek. You can imagine how big this is. Freemont is THE place to live if you're young, hip, and wealthy.

Pikes Market - This 3 story marketplace can be done quickly, or slowly depending on your love of crowds. Do see the famous fishthrowers at the seafood market. You can miss the cheesy vendors selling jewelry and trinkets. Rub the brass pig outside. If you're fond of cooking, there is a place called Sur Le Table for chefs, right outside the market. Also check out the little French bakery near the flower vendors and the very first Starbucks EVER. Woo hoo. People sell fresh herbs out there and beautiful...plants.

Seattle is known for its glassmaking, especially the work of Dale Chihuly. Any art gallery you go into will have tons of gorgeous glassware. I'd say Seattle has more tiny, family-owned specialty boutiques than most places. Cute jewelry, greeting cards, lamps & furniture. shop shop shop.

A tattoo parlour called Johnny Ink is great. I'm purposely un-touched by the needle, but my friend has a pretty nice one.

bluefelt's Profile Photo
bluefelt
Aug 26, 2002

Have you ever seen anything like it?

I don't really know what to say....except...have you ever seen anything like the Fremont Troll? I have no ideas what it's history is or where it came from. But I think it's the funniest thing!

Brehone's Profile Photo
Brehone
Jun 04, 2004

The Fremont Troll

You will never believe it until you see it, the bug under his arm is a real bug covered in concrete, that might give you an idea of the size of this piece of art.

Summer33's Profile Photo
Summer33
Feb 02, 2004
joiwatani's Profile Photo

joiwatani

"The famous Space Needle in Seattle"
jamiesno's Profile Photo

jamiesno

") @ L was great!"
glabah's Profile Photo

glabah

"Emerald City of the Northwest"
Summer33's Profile Photo

Summer33

"It's not always raining in Seattle"
davequ's Profile Photo

davequ

"Seattle"

Things to Do Near Fremont Troll

Gas Works Park

One thing that you can appreciate in the City of Seattle are the arts and crafts! It's the one of the cities in the United States that value arts. Everywhere you go, there is an art or anything of...

Fremont District

Although Fremont started out as an independent city, it has been part of Seattle since 1891; however, I'm not sure that people there got the notice! There definitely is something special about that...

Woodland Park Zoo

On the north side of Seattle there is a complex of fairly large parks made up of adjoining Green Lake Park and Woodland Park. Inside the boundaries of Woodland Park is Seattle's Woodland Park...

University of Washington

In spring a young man's mind turns to baseball. In Seattle there are the Mariners, a major league team playing in a big ballpark where the fans sit far from the action. Once we sat in the upper deck...

Kerry Park

By far the most iconic view of Seattle is that famous post-card like view with the Space Needle with downtown Seattle behind it, and towering behind that Mount Rainier. There are only a very few...

Seattle Center

NOTE: Ride the Ducks is Back for 2016! As of December of 2015, the Utilities and Transportation Commission has authorized the Ride the Ducks to start offering tours again. Due to a terrible accident...

Getting to Fremont Troll

Address

N 36th St. Seattle, 98103

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map