Map &

Been here?
Rate it
chevron_left

chevron_right

La Paz Downtown Tips (11)

Plaza Arqueologica

The original Megalito Bennetto Pachamama is now in the new museum at Tiwanku. This large monolith was originally found in the Templete Semisubterraneo there. At one time it was moved to La Paz and displayed here in the Plaza Arqueologica in front of the soccer stadium; however, the plaza now has a replica of the Templete Semisubterraneo instead.

AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
AlbuqRay
Jan 09, 2005

walking around the centre...

you can walk around the centre. the main avenue is 16 de julio. which is located El prado. you?ll find plenty of shoppings people also it?s a very noisy place.
beyond there is villazon avenue, which is near the public university.
so, it?s really packed by students.
tu puedes caminar por el centro, la calle mas centrica es la 16 de julio. que esta localizada en el prado.
encontraràs muchos shoppings, tambien es un lugar muy ruidoso.
mas hallà se encuentra la avenida villazon que esta cerca de la universidad estatal. UMSA.

marcelo15
Jul 21, 2005

Open Top Double Decker Bus Tour

I just took the Southern Circuit "B" Double Decker Bus Tour by "Tocando el Cielo" ( www.LaPazCityTour.net ) through the southern(wealthy) neighborhoods to the Valley of the Moon and it was great! The tour costs 50Bs(US$7) and takes about 1.5 hours with a 20 minute guided walk in the amazing Valley of the Moon(an extra 15Bs for the park entry fee). The tour bus is open on the top with about 10 seats covered in case of rain(it rained a couple of times for about 20 minutes the day before). Each seat has an audio tour plug with brand new earphones provided as you board the bus or you can use your own. The audio tour is in 7 languages. There is also a downtown City Tour "A" Circuit which I haven't taken yet. Catch the bus at the southern end of the Plaza Isabel Catolica where it has it's own bus stop with tour info posted.
The southern circuit "B" leaves daily at 10:30 and 13:30 while the downtown tour circuit "A" leaves from the same bus stop(same bus) at 9:00 and 15:00.
(The website hours are incorrect and have not been updated)
Our 10:30 tour was 10 minutes late and there were only three of us on the entire tour. It is not a hop on/off tour(there is only one bus) and you must catch it at the beggining. I recommend it and don't forget to tip the guide/driver.

*No tours on the first Monday of each month.

alohagunnar
Mar 20, 2009

The Witches Market

The Witch’s Market is the place to buy good luck charms, make wishes, or create a spell. An object representing what you wish for would be accompanied by animal, vegetable and mineral offerings, which you can buy at this market. A mineral might be as simple as a piece of tinfoil, and vegetables could be herbs or coca leaves. For an animal, this market had a large supply of dehydrated llama fetuses. Llamas often abort their first offspring, and their enterprising owners dry them for the Witch’s Market.

JessieLang's Profile Photo

Mariscal Santa Cruz Avenue Nº 938, 3165
Miguel de Cervantes 2725, Sopocachi, 3-35171
Calle Sagarnaga # 326, Zona Rosario, La Paz, Bolivia

EL PRADO

This avenue, known as Avenida Mariscal Santa Cruz and also known as El Prado, looks to me to be the main thoroughfare of La Paz... the Champs Elysee of La Paz, if you may.

At night, the whole avenue is still busy busy busy with activities. Naturally, there are many vehicles plying this main avenue. But walking on either side of the avenue, you will also find a hive of activities from street-markets to eateries, cafes and restaurants to many many shops.

At some point of the avenue, there is an island between the two roads of opposite directions which you can walk along. There is a funny sculpture of a metallic pig, if I remember correctly.

Further down the south-eastern end, you will find:
- Museo de Arte Contemporaneo Plaza: Contemporary art from national and international artists.

- Museo Fotografico Nuñez de Arco: Photo collection of the early excavations of Tiahuanaco and old photos of La Paz and environs.

- Museo Nacional de Arqueologia: Collections of the arts and crafts of ancient Tiahuanaco, items like gold statuettes, found in Lake Titicaca.

swesn's Profile Photo
swesn
Feb 08, 2008

La Paz Walking Tours

I took a tour from a company called La Paz Walking Tours.
It was a great experience for me because they show me all the main sights plus other places that I wouldn't find by my own!! They told me that I'd see the "real" La Paz, meaning that I'll see how bolivians really live. We visited a local market to taste some bolivian fruits and a small restaurant to try some local food. The guide explain us about the cholitas and the local culture of La Paz.

The walking wasn't as hard as I imagined (beacause of the altitude), and it was mostly walking downhill. Personally, I felt the tour very comfortable. BTW, don't forget to drink a lot of water to deal with the high altitude!

It was a really cool experience and the guides are very friendly. All of them are young and live in La Paz. It's totally worthy as you'll see all the main spots around Plaza Murillo and other not-very-touristic places, so you can have the whole picture about the city and Bolivia.
I took a private tour but they offer daily tours. They meet at the entrance of the San Francisco Museum. For prices and tour hours, check their website www.lapaztour.com
I recommend it and it's also a good chance to meet locals

Maybe anyone else took a tour from them and can share what was like?

chicabackpacker's Profile Photo
chicabackpacker
Sep 02, 2010

La Paz Walking Tours

I took a tour from a company called La Paz Walking Tours.

I recommend it and it's also a good chance to meet locals

Maybe anyone else took a tour from them and can share how was it?

chicabackpacker's Profile Photo
chicabackpacker
Sep 02, 2010

MIRADOR KILLI KILLI

To have a nice view of the city you must come here and take a look from here. its location is really pefect to see the center and some other locations in la paz.

marcelo15
Jun 19, 2006
"SIMPLY, THIS..."
AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
"La Paz - City with a View"
SirRichard's Profile Photo
"A little glimpse of La Paz"
chancay's Profile Photo
"La cuenca de La Paz"
richiecdisc's Profile Photo
"Getting a little trim in La Paz"

Walking around

Its hard work as everything seems to be either uphill or downhill but its still enjoyable take your time and take plenty of stops

Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
Pete.Gibson
Oct 15, 2005

Plaza de Armas

Plaza de Armas, now Plaza Murillo, named after Pedro Domingo Murills who led a revolt against Spain. The revolt failed but his name will be forever remembered in Bolivian history.

al2401's Profile Photo
al2401
Dec 30, 2011

Big advertising everywhere

If you see the news in TV or press, about La Paz and Bolivia, you will see the city center an outstanding and prominents advertising panels and vinyl.

jlvillalba's Profile Photo
jlvillalba
Jun 10, 2005

Things To Do Near La Paz Downtown

Things to do
Plazas ranged from long ramblas-like promenades with college students using their widths to practice choreographed dances, to those filled with protesters squatting for weeks at a time (apparently if...
Things to do
We had a good look at Valle De La Luna even though we were there for only a couple of hrs. What impressed us most is the silence that is experienced there. It was well worth visiting. Enjoy my photos...
Things to do
Tiahuanacu is a magical place. Did you know that a large part of it is still not excavated? There is an underground pool that was used to see and read the stars. there is also a Temple that has not...

Getting to La Paz Downtown

Address

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Things to Do. Help us improve our info!

Map