Map &

Private Kids Photo Tour Including Lagoa Aventura
From $99.00

Small-Group Ultimate Bike Tour from Rio de Janeiro
From EUR80.00

Garota De Ipanema Tips (8)

The Garota de Ipanema: Where "The Girl from Ipanema" was written

This is one of the most famous restaurants in all of Rio de Janeiro simply for the fact that musical history took place here. It was in the Garota de Ipanema that poet Vinicius de Moraes and singer Tom Jobim wrote that memorable song "The Girl from Ipanema". I understand that the restaurant has been much changed since then. It has been much enlarged and now seems to be more a restaurant than a bar. In fact I could not even find a bar inside. Once the song became an international hit, the bar became extremely popular.

Favorite Dish As I said I found it more a restaurant than a bar. In fact I ate dinner here during my final night in Ipanema. I had chicken parmagana. It was alright but a bit overpriced. At least the portions were large.

Paul2001's Profile Photo
Paul2001
Jul 25, 2013

Garata de Ipanema: Where the Famous Girl once roamed

I know , I know its a tourist trap but I couldn't resist. We both love that song and we really enjoyed sharing a bottle of wine and mixed grill at the cafe where the song "The Girl from Ipanema "was written.

Legend says a this is the cafe by which the 15 year old girl strolled on her way to the sea.
There are lots of memorabelia on the walls and the food was really good. The only disappointment was there was no music!!

easterntrekker's Profile Photo
easterntrekker
Oct 25, 2010

Garota de Ipanema.: Have a stop at the famous place.

The most played brazilian song ever is called "garota de Ipanema" and was aritten by Antonio Carlos Jobim while he was a looking at a pretty girl walking past his favorite cafe every morning.
Now you have the chance to sit there and look at the pretty girls and i am close to saying that you will find no other place on earth with more pretty girls than Ipanema.
The restaurant is an upper/middle class place that serves brazilian food and drinks for acceptable prices.

Favorite Dish I usually just go there for an afternoon drink on the way back from the beach.

cachaseiro's Profile Photo
cachaseiro
Aug 09, 2010

Garota de Ipanema: Girl from Ipanema

This is the place were the song "Girl from Ipanema" was written. It's located on a corner and is very popular. If you arrive after 9pm expect to wait for a table.
The menu is extensive, nothing really too fancy, and for Ipanema it's pretty cheap. The waiters are attentive and quick. Try to get a table near the open windows if you can - just to get some breeze, or under one of the few ceiling fans. The words to the song are up on a couple of walls and you can take pics if you want.

Favorite Dish We came here a couple of nights and had steak and chips, beef Tournados Forrestier (which came with potatoes, onions, mushrooms and some other veggies in a red wine sauce) - delicious. The portion of chips was very generous. The second time we went there we had sea bass in a lemon sauce and potatoes - it was OK. And shrimp spaghetti, which again, was OK.

npsdguy's Profile Photo
npsdguy
Jan 10, 2010

Sponsored Listings

Hotels Near Garota De Ipanema

Hotels
Av Vieira Souto 320, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22420-000, Brazil
Hotels
Rua Visconde de Piraja, 254, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22410, Brazil
Hotels
Rua Farme de Amoedo 35, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rua Farme de Amoedo, 34, Ipanema, RIO DE JANEIRO,
Barao da Torre, 175, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 20411001, Brazil
Hotels
Rua Barão da Torre 175, casa 18, Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Garrota do Ipanema: A great experience!

This restaurant was great--it is where the famous song "The girl from Ipanema" was written! It is also a bit of a whole in the wall, which I think is great! The portions are HUGE, even by my Texan standards. I don't they had any menus in english, but the wait staff is nice and we figured out what we wanted.

Favorite Dish We had the parmesean chicken, yum!! In Portugese, I think "chicken" is "farrago", something like that, defintely not "pollo".

monicarc's Profile Photo
monicarc
Oct 24, 2005

Garota de Ipanema: Garota de Ipanema

The fame of this restaurant comes mostly from the fact that Brazilian composers Tom Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes are said to get the inspiration to the song "Garota de Ipanema" in this place, while observing a young girl walking towards the beach. That's why the restaurant later changed its name to Garota de Ipanema, and its decorations and memorabilia on sale are devoted to that event.
As for the food, it was variated (from Brazilian grilled meats to international food). It was delicious, although some dishes were a bit expensive. They also have a variety of drinks and cocktails. The service was also OK.

Favorite Dish Loved the caipirinha (the Brazilian national drink made with cachaça liqour and lemon) and the grilled picanha (meat). If you go in a large group, I recommend you to take the dishes meant for 2-4 persons, because it is well served and it's cheaper.

besbel's Profile Photo
besbel
Jul 24, 2005

Garota de Ipanema: Ended up here w/out even knowing where we were...

OK, it was packed. We were starving, and we ducked in for a quick bite to eat before hitting the beach. It's wide open set up makes you feel like your inside and outside. It has a tiny little bar to its side that is quite full of people downing beers.

The waiter was friendly enough.

How odd that we didn't realize we were at the famed locale Jobim was at when he was inspired to write "The girl of Ipanema".

Tim saw someone eating feijoada and asked for it too.

Favorite Dish OK, not my favorite meal at all, but here are the details...

feijoada- came with a side of rice, a side of black beans and a pot of pig parts, also a side of garlic kale and a side of buttery manioc flower- oh and lastly, a cachasa & lemonade drink with a sliced orange. I think it was $23.00 real. Was supposed to be shared but I am picky picky picky and was going nowhere near the pot of pig. (which tim later informed me contained very identifiable body parts). This is not for the weak.

I tried the kale, yes, the beans just a bit (as I knew they were made with a meat stock) and ordered myself some yummy fried provolone and a salad.

We had antarctica guarana to drink.

sunlovey's Profile Photo
sunlovey
May 06, 2005

Bar Garota de Ipanema: Vinicius de Moraes

In this site, Vinicius de Moraes wrote the world-famous known song "Garota de Ipanema" (Girl from Ipanema).

Favorite Dish Drink Brahma beer and enjoy the Bossa Nova

cadiana88's Profile Photo
cadiana88
Jul 07, 2004

Top 5 Rio de Janeiro Writers

RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

RafaelTheSecond

"RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
racheljapi's Profile Photo

racheljapi

"Welcome to the City of God"
dargains's Profile Photo

dargains

"Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Willettsworld

"Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
marcbrazil's Profile Photo

marcbrazil

"RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"

Things To Do Near Garota De Ipanema

Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas

Every day, even before the first rays of sun, it welcomes its first guests: rowers, cyclists, joggers. Little by little, others join in: babies, mothers, nannies, sailors, lovers. All of them a...

Plataforma

2 hour show for $38.50. A variety of Brazilian traditional dances, such as samba and rhumba. Yes there are dancing girls with tall things on their heads. BUT they also have guys that do some sort of...

Botanical Garden

Does it make sense, a tropical garden in a tropical town? Of course it does. Profiting the natural easy to grow and maintain decorative plants (from Brazil and elsewhere) in that weather, the...

Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado

This is probably the most famous attraction in Rio De Janeiro which is called Christ the Redeemer who has overlooked the city and the beautiful beaches of Rio since 1931. Paul Landowski, a French...

Sugarloaf Mountain - Pão de Açucar

One of the references of Rio de Janeiro, this enormous rock provides marvellous views over town, making mandatory the trip to its top. However, if you are coming from the breathtaking Corcovado, as...

Museu da República

President Getulio Vargas commited suicide inside the Palácio do Catete on the 24th August 1954. He had enemies in the armed forces and one of his bodyguards fired shots at a journalist who was...

Getting to Garota De Ipanema

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Restaurants. Help us improve our info!

Hours