Tunupa, Cusco

by Jefie
    Entertainment at Tunupu Restaurant
    by AKtravelers

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Tunupa: Good buffet and good show

by Jefie Updated Jun 30, 2015

I'll have to rely on Sylvain's opinion for this one because going back to Cusco after visiting Machu Picchu triggered my mountain sickness yet again so I missed what should have been our celebratory dinner on the last evening of our trip :o( For the occasion, our agency had booked us a table at Tunupa, a buffet-style restaurant that is especially popular with visitors since it features live traditional music and dancing shows in the evening. Even though Sylvain isn't the biggest fan of this type of entertainment, he told me the show was really good and definitely not corny. He also liked the wide variety of local specialties offered in the buffet and said all the dishes he tried were very tasty. He said I could recommend the place to my fellow VTers with no hesitation, and promised we could go back together if we ever make it back to Cusco!

Address: Portal Confituria 233

• Music

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Tunupa: Tunupa - Nice Peruvian

by XKuger Written Apr 15, 2005

This place has a very nice view of the Plaza from their restaurant. I decided to have the Buffet which was very pricy. They had a very large selection of different kinds of food. However me being a vegetarian my selection was limited.

However the buffet include a drink(which I didn't have) as well as a wide selection of desert and coffee.

Theye did have a live show but the main area of the restaurant was already full so I sat on the balcony and decide to enjoy the view instead.

Favorite Dish: Nothing in particular the food was only average. I found it to be too pricy as compared to many other places.

This was my first dinner in CUSCO so I did not know enough before I decided to eat in this restaturant

Directions: Right in the Plaza de Arms

Street

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo

Tunupu's Restaurant on the Plaza de Armas: Great Cusquena Food with Entertainment Thrown In

by AKtravelers Written Feb 26, 2005

Tunupu's was recommended to us by the owner of our guesthouse in Cusco, and we're glad we listened to him. The upstairs dining room is decorated in a colonial motif and we got to sit by a warm fire (always appreciated on the cool wet days of February at this altitude). We ordered traditional Peruvian fare, including Lomo Saltado and got complementary Pisco Sours to go with our meal.
    Then, as we were finding everything completely delicious, a group of musicians took the stage, dressed in Andean clothes and sporting guitars and antars. Soon they were playing Peruvian songs and were occassionally accompanied by dancers. It was a fine evening.
    Even though this meal was probably expensive by Cuzco standars -- I'm sure you can find plenty of meals for under $10 -- it was cheap by North American standards, especially when you consider the high quality.

Address: On the Plaza De Armas nextto the Cross Keys Pub

Entertainment at Tunupu Restaurant
    • Music

• Tunupa Restaurante: Good food - relatively expensive

by IamCdn Updated Dec 28, 2004

This restaurant was defnitely high-end for Cusco - well for Peru in general. Found in the main square, the Tunupa is very well-located and most definitely caters to tourists - we even saw an entire tour group (about 30 people) while we were there. The food was great (choose from the menu or buffet - large variety includes beef, chicken, seafood, rice, veggies etc.), the service was what could be expected from a high-end restaurant and the ambiance was warm, lively and enjoyable. We sat on the terrace overlooking the square and very much enjoyed this place, but if it's good value, an authentic Peruvian experience or an intimate little restaurant you're looking for, this isn't for you.

Favorite Dish: Dessert buffet was the best!

Address: Plaza des Armes