Map &

chevron_left

chevron_right

Top Tours

Cusco ChocoMuseo: From Bean to Bar Chocolate Workshop
"Learn how to make your very own chocolate during this interactive tour of the museum and the chocolate workshop. A professional guidewill explain to you how to make chocolate from the bean to the bar. Understand the history behind the famous cocoa beans you will learn the different steps of the chocolate making process and participate to 4 of them: roasting the cocoa beans removing cocoa husk grinding the cocoa nibs on a metate with a mano and refining the cocoa paste in a melangeur.Finally you will prepare and savor delicious hot chocolates as well as creating your own chocolates with your choice of ingredients. You will be able to leave with all of your handmade chocolates unless of course
From $30.00

Machu Picchu Full Day Tour by Train
"At 3:55am in the morning you will be picked up from your centrally located hotel in Cusco and driven to the train station at Ollantaytambo. Here you will catch the train that will take you to Machu Picchu. You will take the train at 6:40am to Aguas Calientes arriving around 8am. Your guide will meet you at the train station in Aguas Calientes to take you to the bus up to Machu Picchu. The bus ride is about 30 minutes. You should arrive at Machu Picchu around 8:45am and enter the site.During a guided your bilingual guide will explain all about the historical sanctuary of Machu Picchu and visit all the major sites within the lost city. The guided tour will take around 2:30-3 hours. You can climb the mountain of Huayna Picchu (tickets need to be purcha which is a 1.5 to 2 hours round trip hike. The entrance time is 10am to 11am so if you choose to take this tour your guided tour will be faster in order to finish in time to enter Huayna Picchu.After the Machu Picchu guided tour
From $410.00

Half-Day Cusco City Tour
"Cusco is a city that mixes the mysterious indigenous culture of the Incan civilization with modernity. Cusco is considered as the archaeological capital of not only Peru but of all the Americas. It is a city that has to be shown to the entire world with its ruins preserved in their traditional structure. The city was the capital and the heart of the Incan empire during the 14th and 15th centuries and today serves as the most visited tourist city in the country of Peru.The Passengers will be the Cathedral and the Temple of the Sun Korikancha where the Incas used to worship the Sun God. The tour continues outside the city to go through the old constructions Incas of Kenko Tambomachay Puca Pucara and the impressive fortress of Sacsayhuaman strategically built on a hill overlooking Cusco. Famous for its large external walls
From $32.00

Altitude Sickness - Soroche Tips (30)

Altitude advice

We flew from Lima at sea level to Puno at 4000 m and were taking Diamox and drinking lots of coca tea. We're both very fit - this is irrelevant with altitude sickness. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're super fit and healthy and you won't be affected. Your body must maintain adequate blood oxygen levels and that's not within your control.
We had shortness of breath, slight nausea, headaches. I had no problem sleeping, but did notice that I was breathing faster and shallower. We were extremely out of breath with any form of exertion, even climbing 5 or 6 steps in our hotel, so plan on lots of time to get places, strolling not rushing. I was sick to my stomach the first night and then felt great although I did have 10 mins of oxygen in our hotel. I also have asthma and had no problems at all with this. Just take it easy, keep hydrated, and be familiar with warning signs of problems. After 3 days in Puno, we were in Cusco and had no problems as we had apparently acclimatized at the higher elevation. However we continued to take the meds and drink coca tea until we left Cusco. We are in the 50-55 age range.

IntoAdventure
Apr 24, 2012

Altitude Sickness can be avoided ....

Yes, it can be avoided ... we´re living proof. I´m sitting in Cuzco as I write ... hoping to benefit others planning to do a fast Machu Picchu trip like we are doing.

Planning a quick visit: Unlike many stronger-younger visitors, we´re 60. And, we only have 3 days. So we decided to fly into Cuzco (from Vancouver) and go directly to Aguas Caliente (which is about 2K+ ft lower). Stay the night and visit Machu Picchu in the morning, return to Cuzco in the afternoon, spend the next day in Cuzco-areas, and fly out early the following morning.

First, we got the prescription meds (Acetazolamide as suggested by 53nana) and started taking it (3 x per day) as soon as we get on the plane at 1 pm. About 18 hours later, we´re in Cuzco.

Next, we had pre-arranged a car service pick us up (from the Cuzco airport) to take us to the Ollantay train station. It takes about 1.5 hours. We arrived 30+ mins before the train departs. 1.5 hours later, we´re in Aguas Caliente, before 4 pm.

Yes, I find I get out of breathe sooner than usual ... only because I feel good enough to not realize that I´m at a high altitude and go my usual pace. Other than that, drink lots of water, I had 2 coca tea so far, and had little alcohol and meat - i.e. no steak meals.

So, we´ve avoided it altogether, with no symptoms (that so many others talked about)

We´re now all done and ready to fly out of Cuzco at 7 am tomorrow morning to continue our 7 week vacation.

LawrenceP
Mar 15, 2012

Altitude sickness in Cusco

We have just returned from a trip to Peru. While there we went to Cusco and Machu Picchu. Hearing all the horror stories about altitude sickness I went to my own Doctor to ask for medication to help. I was prescribed Acetazolamide and started it the day before flying to Cusco taking 2, 125mg tablets daily. We arrived in Cusco expecting problems but apart from my travel partner having a bad headache the first night we had no problems. He took the cocao tea every morning we were ther as well as the tablets for 2 more days and apart from being a little winded climbing the stairs to our hotel room we had no problems. If you are worried about the altitude I would sugest seeing your own family doctor for medication before traveling to Peru.

53nanas5
Mar 02, 2012

Beware of Altitude Sickness

This is very real and can be extremely dangerous if you don't take care.

Most people will get mild symptoms including breathlesness and tiredness. The first day may also give you a headache and nausea. One symptom I had which is not usual but also not uncommon was not being able to breath well when lying down. I had to sleep with a number of pillows like you do when you have a severe head cold.

There are various forms of medication available which have their different directions and side effects. You need to discuss these with your travel doctor. I chose not to take medication and managed quite well by drinking cocoa leaf tea, staying well hydrated and taking it easy.

This can be difficult when climbing ruins like Ollantaytambo but take a few steps at a time, stop, take a few photos, and keep going.

al2401's Profile Photo

Tecsecocha 490 between Mantas y Afligidos
Triunfo 379, Cusco, 001, Peru
Santa Catalina 377, Cusco, Peru

Altitude sickness

Our sea-level dwelling team had headaches & huffed & puffed, but rested. I felt like I had a brick up under my diaphragm which stayed there. Headed off for the Inca Trail. Day 1 of the trail - cruisy, day 2 - HARD - make no bones about it. Day 3 - easy & here's the key - drink LOTS of water this day. DON'T ease off - DON'T! If you're heading even higher to Titicaca the altitude will suck you dry - DRINK, DRINK- water that is! I eased off a little on Day 3 & started retaining fluid. By Day 2 on Titicaca I began to resemble a balloon & felt half dead. The noise in my lungs overnight meant I requested a Doctor on return to Puno. BP good, pulse good, blood/oxygen 71% - not good. Ventolin & litres of fluids required. Staggered about a few more days then blessedly boarded the pressurised, oxygenated steel tube - yes, the aeroplane and within minutes of take off I began to recover. Marvellous to be alive!

acesurvivor
Jun 05, 2011

Altitude Sickness

The altitude in Cusco can kick your butt. I struggled the first two days and finally got to a Cusco pharmacy and was prescribed Diamox. It really saved my vacation. I started feeling better within hours and while I wasn't running marathons, staircases and inclines became a minor nuisance rather than a daunting obstacle to be dreaded. If I had to do it over I would have had Diamox prescribed at home prior to leaving for Peru, tried it in a safe environment (i.e. close to my doctor and competent medical staff availability) and had it in my system several days prior to reaching cusco altitudes. I did suffer some of the side effects. Mainly this manifest itself as a tingling or needle like feeling in my feet and hands. This lasted for about ten minutes and then subsided.

This website is a good place to get information about altitude sickness and preventative measures.

sirhc's Profile Photo
sirhc
Feb 08, 2011

Water is Very Important

If you're a flatlander, as most people in the States are, you're in for quite a surprise at 11,000'. We live at 9000' and are comfortable at Cusco's altitude as our blood is capable of giving us the necessary oxygen. Still, the body dumps a lot more liquid into the air at high altitudes and dehydration is at least as big a danger as oxygen deprivation. Acclimation has nothing to do with increased water loss, so carry clean water with you and drink frequently. If you get thirsty, you've waited too long.

cekkk
Jul 05, 2009

Coca products & drug screen!

Cusco is above 10k in elevation, so soroche can be a problem. Even the fittest of us do need some time to adjust, so don't be brave and try to exert yourself for the first day in Cusco. Or you'll have severe headache like I did...

It may sound stupid, but be aware that the coca leaves is the raw form that cocaine is made from.

Local people use mate de coca (coca herbal tea), and chew coca leaves to alleviate some of the problems with high altitude sickness. Word of reminder, if you will be subjected to any drug test when you arrive back to your home country, give yourself at least 72hr. after consuming any coca products, because it will show up positive, even though the amount of alkoid in those leaves are very minimal. If you have consumed any coca products for an extended duration, give yourself plenty of time off before subjecting yourself to any random drug screen.

smf834
Jun 03, 2009
AKtravelers's Profile Photo

AKtravelers

"Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Jim_Eliason

"Cusco"
chrissyalex's Profile Photo

chrissyalex

"Cusco"
SirRichard's Profile Photo

SirRichard

"The center of the Empire"
richiecdisc's Profile Photo

richiecdisc

"The "special" shine in Cusco"

Altitude sickness

At 11,000 ft in elevation, altitude sickness can be a real problem. Remember not to over exert yourself until you have acclimitzed. I had no problem but did notice that I was huffing and puffing for breath up even the slighest incline.

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
Jim_Eliason
Jan 25, 2009

Altitude sickness

I've read alot of anecdotes about altitude sickness. Many times people mistake dehydration with altitude sickness. At altitude it is essential that low-country folk drink about a quart or 2 litres of water a day to prevent dehydration.

However, mountain sickness symptoms include headache, fatigue, stomach illness, dizziness, and sleep disturbance. Exertion aggravates the symptoms. There is a rare extreme condition called high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) or high altitude cerbral edema (HACE) that has been known to occur at altitudes of about 8,000 feet or 2,500 metres. These are usually associated with higher altitudes (and low atmospheric pressure).

Altitude sickness usually occurs following a rapid ascent and can usually be prevented by ascending slowly. In most of these cases, the symptoms are temporary and usually abate as altitude acclimatization occurs.

radamchak
Oct 12, 2008

Just take it easy

Now, although it's different with every person, you shouldn't be too scared about soroche AS LONG AS you follow the basic rules!! When you arrive to Cusco, don't do any great efforts on the first day, take it easy, walk slowly, drink your coca tea (mate de coca, which btw I absolutely loved!!), don't eat too much, nor have any heavy meals, and drink plenty of water. Also it's recommended that you take lots of lemon candy with you (sugar helps) and have one every once in a while. If you do all these things you should be fine, but if you're not, and you start feeling sick, contact a doctor so you can get soroche pills.
The most important thing is that you don't have to be scared, you have to be CAUTIOUS!!

Urzu's Profile Photo
Urzu
Jul 29, 2008

Soroche in Cusco

I was in Cusco last june and I have "soroche". People told me that Coca tea will be useful but, it was worse, because coca's tea hide the problem but dont help. Finally I fall in the street and ending in a Hospital. Doctor gave me Dexametasona, aspirine and other drugs that I dont remenber., and he told me go to Macchu Pichu inmediatly, because it is lower than Cuzco. When I arrive to Machu Pichu I feel very well and went to the excursion without problem. When I returned Cuzco 4 days later I was fine and could enjoy the wonderful Cuzco without problem. The secret is (Doctor told me) to go firts to Machu Picchu and after that to Cuzco. I'm 55 age, but it is the same..nobody know who could have "soroche", but Cuzco is so beautiful that I'm going to Perú as soon as I can. (I hope you can understand my english) good luck. Diana

diana_renou's Profile Photo
diana_renou
Mar 28, 2008

Things to Do Near Cusco

Sacsayhuaman

The ruins are still pretty much in a natural state although preservation work has begun. The fortress was built by the Inkas in the 1300's on the site of earlier occupations. it commands a view over...

Qoriqancha - Santo Domingo Convent

This church and convent are built on top of the Inca temple of Coricancha although much of the original temple was preserved inside the church. This was done as a means of stamping out the local...

Main Square

Plaza de Armas is the historic center of the city and, as such, it has witnessed many important events, including Francisco Pizarro's declaration that Spain had conquered Peru and, almost 250 years...

Hatun Rumiyoc - Twelve-Angle Stone

As they walk up Hatun Rumiyoc Street, visitors might not realize that they are walking on one of the original Inca roads of Cusco. The narrow street is now lined with attractive shops one one side,...

The Cathedral

A definite must see. It towers over and dominates the Plaza De Armas. Inside you get a feel for what happened to all the Inca gold and silver. The altars inside are fantastic! Made of silver and gold....

San Blas

A much simpler Adobe Church set in a beautiful plaza. what it lacks for ornateness on the outside is made up for in the wonderful wood carved alter on the inside. The church sits in a little local...

Getting to Cusco

Address

We don't yet have an address for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Hours

We don't yet have hours for this Warnings and Dangers. Help us improve our info!

Map