Shengjiang Hotel

Good For No Data

More about Lhasa

Khora around JokhanKhora around Jokhan

The View from PotalaThe View from Potala

Being a local.Being a local.

A Tibetan holds out her hand and this tourist paysA Tibetan holds out her hand and this tourist pays

by james1973bruce

dear all,

I have limited holiday left after other booked holidays from my assignment in china..but i've heard about the train to tibet.. it sounds cool is it worth taking the train one way and a flight back.

i can only take 2 days off plus a weekend so i dont know if i have time.. i really wanted to go to base camp everest.. but dont think i have time.. i dont really spend ages seeing stuff just experiencing the atmosphere is enough for me..

any advice would be really appreciated..

James

Re: Limited time - train trip and return flight worth it to see limited tibet or not

by earthflyer

It would help us to know where you are in China.

With 4 days I would pick one or the other. It will take a couple of days just to reach Everest basecamp from Lhasa then you got to go back again. You will not have time to see Lhasa.

Personally I would stay in Lhasa, there is plenty to do and Lhasa is a beautful city to stay for a long weekend. I would go to Everest Basecamp on another trip when you have more time available because there other places worth seeing on the way as well.

by GrumpyDiver

Our experience is that it will take about 24 hours each way, to and from Everest Base Camp. The only way in is by 4x4 vehicle and the roads are terrible - you can do perhaps 50 km / hr. When all was said and done, it took us about 5 or 6 days in total to reach there from Lhasa and get back.

If you only have 2 days - Lhasa is really the only place that you can get to. Even there, flights can be unreliable - we were 1 day late on arrival and one day late on leaving due to flight delays. There is a single runway at the airport there, nestled nicely along a river valley. Any problems from wind directions, and flights can't get in or out.

by Malio

Dear James

You can take the train from Xining to Lhasa. When you take the train into Lhasa, you can see the beautiful sight from the windows and acclaim yourselves to this high altitude of Lhasa.

Four days is not enough for you to go to base camp Everest. You can only stay in Lhasa and there is enough for you to experience the atmosphere such as the dominant landmark of Lhasa-Potala Palace, Jokhang temple, Norbulingka Summer Palace, Sera Monastery, Drepung monastery and Barkhor Bazaar.

Hope you have a nice trip in Lhasa.

PS: if you intend to go to Lhasa, you should need the Tibet permit.

by ellyse

Actually, "don't really spend ages" and "just experiencing the atmosphere" is kinda a paradox IMHO, as I feel that you can't really get the "atmosphere" if you're only giving it a fleeting visit. But never mind. :)
Where are you based? If you have only a total of 4 full days, you barely have time to get to EBC and back, assuming you're flying round-trip to Lhasa. That's crossing your fingers and hoping you don't get sick, and assuming that you adjust pretty well to the altitude.

Travel Tips for Lhasa

ATMs

by MikeySoft

I used the ATM at the bank of china. It is just a little west of the potala palace. The ATM is inside the bank so the bank needs to be open. I don't know if they have one outside.

They say a Bank of China ATM is on the east side of the potala square on khamadong lam (kangang donglu) but I never found it.

If you use a US debit card, you should call your bank before you leave to let them know you will be using it overseas. Otherwise, they may not allow you to use it in China. The same for credit cards.

Please rate this and my other tips when you find them useful.

Photos: Should we ask permission from Tibetans?

by Confucius

Go ahead, try it! Ask permission to photograph a Tibetan and you'll get one of three responses: "Yes", "No", and "Money". What you won't get is their natural expression, so my advice is to just take photos and not worry about any formalities.

I took pictures of topless Tibetan women bathing in the Lhasa River and monks in the midst of prayer, however I was careful to take only tasteful portraits that I would not hesitate to show my mum. Only once did I succumb to the begging hand of a Tibetan who sought payment for her picture. I got so many good portrait shots at Barkhor Bazaar that I resisted the urge to photograph Tibetans who sat near me on a public bus or who I encountered during other non-tourist activities. (See my Barkhor Bazaar travelogue for more photo tips) One of my favorite photos is of this old Tibetan woman at Sera Monastery. You will see elderly people in Tibet who look like they are 100 years old. I like how she has her hair in long braids and the look of devotion on her face during prayer. There was no way I was going to ask permission to take this photo, but I think Tibetans in Lhasa are used to tourists taking their photos. She ignored my presence, and I got this great photo as a result.

Of course not all Tibetans will ignore you. The ones who walk by you in front of the Potala might ask for money, but I also saw Tibetans who cheerfully posed with tourists there without any request to be paid. Use your best judgement and try to avoid the money trap. I think there are enough Tibetans who don't mind being photographed and when you combine this lot with those who aren't even aware that you zoomed in for their portrait then you'll have plenty of pictures for your collection.

Hi, Ryan!

by Sharrie

Make new friends!
Hi, Ryan!
Ryan is from Alabama & now living in Chongqing learning Mandarin! Keep it up, you are doing great!!! Ryan is a very cheerful & friendly person. We had some great fun discussing religion while visiting the monasteries.

Michael on the other hand is more quiet & reflective. I thought he looks a little like Matt Damon & Ethan Hawke! He's quite elusive as well; not easy to get a picture of him!

undercover monks

by tompt

The chinese placed a lot of undercover monks in the monasteries in Tibet. Because it is believed by the chinese the monasteries are the centre of resistence against the chinese authorities.
Sometimes you can't tell weather monks are placed there or not, but in the case of this picture the golden watch is a dead give away.....

Sunset on Lhasa River (Kyi Chu)

by gordonye

Lhasa River is an amazing expanse of water, peaceful, very wide and backed by giant mountains. The dramatic sky reflected in the water is incredible. Along the river there is a nice paved path and you see colorful prayer flags fluttering in the wind. To get there just walk south from the Potala Palace area.

Comments