Tibet Post

No. 33 Beijing Middle Road, Lhasa, Tibet, China
Ctrip.com Otel.com Hotelsclick.com

Rated 22% higher but also costs 29% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Lhasa

Money and butterMoney and butter

Detail of a door in Potala PalaceDetail of a door in Potala Palace

Local Beer.Local Beer.

I took this photo in a monastery; she didn't mind!I took this photo in a monastery; she didn't mind!

travel route to mt Everest Base Camp

by elmejorider

Hi,

This is my first time wit VT, i m planning to travel to EBS in april or may from india.
I am planning to make this trip by road. I wanted to know if it is possible in if YES wats the best route to follow and wat documentation will b required to do so. i m travelling wit 3 of my friends. also wat would b the basic things to carry when travelling by to EBC. I would b very thankful if i get answer to my question so i can decide to make the trip or not.

THANKS A LOT ..... :)

Re: travel route to mt Everest Base Camp

by GrumpyDiver

1. If you want to do this from Lhasa, you will need three documents - (1) visa for China; (2) permit for Tibet and (3) permit for Mt Everest region.

2. You can only get the two permits if you go there as part of a tour. Everest Base camp - is about 24 hours of travel by 4x4 from Lhasa. Well worth doing this regardless- the roads are not in great shape and I would have not enjoyed the drive. The two of us arranged for our own tour.

3. Trip was worth it to me - certainly one of the highlights of my travel. We were there in mid-May. Images / short video clip from the trip:

Travel Tips for Lhasa

Budweiser, the Tibetan king of beers in Lhasa

by Confucius

One way to amuse yourself during a bus tour of Lhasa is by counting the number of Budweiser signs. The American beer company sponsors signs for restaurants and bars in Lhasa, so you'll see Budweiser's logo everywhere in town including a big billboard behind the huge bronze yak statue on Beijing Boulevard.
I also saw an outdoor "Hall of Budweiser" at the Dalai Lama's summer palace (Norbulinka), perhaps used for wedding parties and other cheerful gatherings. ********************************
In Lhasa the lamas say "Cheers"
when they drink their Budweiser beers
One might mistake monks
for mischievous punks
when burps are all a tourist hears!
********************************

A model for a day

by grets

Many Chinese pilgrims, like the Tibetans from remote villages, had never seen westerners before, and would nudge each other, point and giggle. The braver souls would actually ask to take your photograph. We spent a long time with this Chinese family, chatting (in two different languages – anything is possible with sign language) and taking group photos. A lot of fun was had by all.

Reflection

by Sharrie

Crystal clear lakes which reflect dreams in the hearts of the people!

The presence of water was the determining factor in the birth of the Tibetan Civilization. Here in Lhasa, the Brahmaputra (Great River) (Yarlung Tsangpo in Tibetan) is of utmost importance.

Prayer flags in the wind

by duke0123

On the tops of passes you always see prayer flags blowing in the wind. These flags with Buddhist sutras on it are placed by the Tibetan people. The flags are very colourful and the all have a special meaning.

I think it's good to watch these flags and how the people hang out these flags but as long as you're no Buddhist it's better not to do it yourself.

Children in Lhasa

by extrajoce

I caught this glimpse of the children while walking along one of the busy roads of Lhasa. I so much enjoy being able to grab a few snapshots of life and not only the monuments. Looking back on my time in Tibet, I'm glad I had this time to see a bit more of the people and not only the places.

Comments