4/1 St Mark's Road, Bangalore, Karnataka, 560 001, India

St Mark's Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• doclee's Profile Photo

A Good hotel in Bangalore

We spent 1 night in St Mark's Hotel in March 2008. We found it more than adequate to our needs (nearly but not quite Geriatric). It cost us 6100 rupees for the night.
    When making the booking several months earlier Management had advised us that maintenance work would be in progress and their might be some disruption. However, there was only a bit of hammering noise whilst we were there. I mention this as the possibility of inconvenience could have been kept from us in case it had deterred us from making the booking, but the the management behaved with total honesty and was upfront with the information to their potential disadvantage.
    We found all staff (Reception, Restaurant and House-Keeping) to be genuinely friendly and helpful. Check-in and out was efficient and atraumatic.
    The restaurant was very good with a wide range of Indian and Westernised food and could not be faulted.
    Only the Bar was a disappointment, but we could live with that.
    It is not a flamboyant hotel designed for the tourist with all those trappings, but is more in the nature of a business hotel which provides a more than adequate service.
    I have no experience of other hotels in Bangalore, but if I had to stay in Bangalore again I would have no hesitation in choosing the St Mark's Hotel again.

• You ask you get

I am over in Bangalore for 2 months and am currently staying in St Marks. Although it is not the most fabulous hotel in the world it is perfectly acceptable. The menu in the restaurant is varied and they cater for both western and Indian tastes. On Sundays and Wednesdays there is a buffet which is excellent value for money. The rooms are spacious but there is no double glazing and as the hotel is close the Brigade Road there is quite a lot of noise day and night. The facilities are ok, the Phoenix Bar is a really nice place to relax at the end of the day but the gym leaves a lot to be desired. There is no pool but we have been advised that we are allowed to use the facilities of a nearby hotel if we want to. The only thing that I would say is wrong is that there are no tea or coffee making facilities in the bedrooms.

Unique Quality: The staff are really really friendly, the hotel manager has taken time out on a couple of occasions to ensure that we are happy with our stay. We have asked for items not on the menu at mealtimes and they have been given to us. The staff will go out of their way to ensure that your stay is comfortable and that, as far as possible, you do not want for anything.

Directions: Just off Brigade Road, almost central Bangalore

More about St. Mark's

Cancelled.

by TripAdvisor Member indn940

I made a reservation to stay at St. Mark's a month in advance, and on the day that we were traveling to Bangalore, we received an email notifying us that our reservation had been cancelled. Upon calling, the employee got quite anxious and refused to explain the situation or connect me to a higher-up. Apparently they were full and felt free to cancel a reservation as they saw fit. Shameful establishment.

Good value, good service in an increasingly expensive city

by TripAdvisor Member IanCHC

Generally, I don't like hotels; I spend my life in them. I actually, liked staying here even after 4 weeks. I note what another reviewer says about all hotel staff in India being friendly - it's true. By in my experience friendly doesn't always result in anything happening - lot's of "yes, sirs" but not much result. That wasn't the case here - the staff put a lot of effort into actually doing what they offered.

The hotel is quite small (tall and thin) and certainly isn't overloaded with facilities. The bar for instance, is like a large guest room. But it depends what you want. When I am on business, I don't have time for hotel entertainments and on the rare occasions I am on holiday I don't want to live in the hotel.

My first night, my single bed was rather hard. A manager asked how my room was in the morning, when I got back, two mattresses were on my bed. Noisy fridge, fixed straightaway. The wifi in my 1st room wasn't brilliant, a couple of days later they moved me to another room for better reception. In my new room, the TV was mis-tuned a TV techician had it all re-done that day. My PDA sync cable broke, one of the junior managers phoned about 20 shops trying to find one for me. I was working nights (US time) and not sleeping well, a waiter said I should drink a beer before going to bed; when I pointed out that (following local law) the hotel didn't serve alcohol at 2:30am I came back to find he had arranged for a beer to be in my fridge. So from my point of view, they offered and did it; I asked they did it.

The management (even the top guy) read every guest evaluation/comment and followed up. I filled out a eval in which I said the bathroom soaps were average ( which they were - can't get too excited about soap and shampoo). A concerned manager, politely cornered me to find out why I wasn't happy. Can't fault that.

The buffet food was really not bad with a wide choice of local foods every day; some of the small number of western offerings were a little "odd" but there was always something if you really are the kind of person who will only eat the familiar. [Mango Yule Log in August was 'surreal' - not sure if they ever understood my explanation of 'Yule'].

But I reckon you should eat the local food at the buffet which was much better. The restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful and very keen to tell you about local food. Managers also eat in the restaurant as guests to check things out. As a "regular", they were always suggesting other things to try and the chefs would come out and offer me something special. The a la carte was, not surprisingly, better than the buffet and excellent. They even had an Italian buffet night - which was actually not bad at all despite my doubts about an Indian chef cooking Italian food. (it was certainly better than many hotel buffets I have eaten from in Italy). The food was expensive from an Indian point of view but really cheap from a European view. I ate there for a month with no stomach issues (not always the case in India).

So, if you want a 5 star resort hotel (serious money in Bangalore these days) this might not be for you but if you have other things to do (work or fun) and want a reasonably priced, comfortable, friendly hotel where they really try that bit harder and seem to appreciate your custom, then I reckon this is a really good place to be in Bangalore.

Nothing Great

by TripAdvisor Member Gomez1978

I stayed here in September and found nothing great about this hotel. As said this is a 4 Star hotel, i was disappointed by the looks. While walking on the road suddenly a big building will come on your way. And hey there is this hotel.
Staff is very nice and polite, and food is good.
Pictures attached by the other travelers are real.
Room size is small as compare to other hotels i have been to.
Seems like this is a perfect business hotel, Work in a day come here and sleep, nothing more than that.
I will recommend only 2-3 days business travelers to this hotel.
I made my bookings in months advance and didn’t found any problem of the cancellations. Staff did called me week before for the confirmations.
Nice place to stay but only for Business Travelers, No pool and no frills hotel is quiet ok with the price too.

Great Stay for Business in Central Bangalore

by TripAdvisor Member jtooley

I stayed at St Marks for a business trip in Bangalore. I found the hotel to have great service, and to be a great value. I stayed for 10 days.

Pros
+ great service. Helpful with all my needs. For example, I could order coffee in the morning, and it was prompt. Second, they helped arrange a car for an evening out.
+ clean room
+ hot water. I had plenty of hot water everyday.
+ non-smoking rooms available
+ great breakfast buffet and service
+ good location. Close to most everything in Bangalore

Cons
- small, so its often hard to get a reservation

Excellent Service, Great Loction, Best rate, Good food

by TripAdvisor Member Tornto

We just returned from almost 2 months stay at St.Mark's Hotel-Bangalore. It is a pleasure to stay at this hotel. It gave us a great satisfaction with the service we got once we stepped into this hotel. Right from the receiption, room service, resturant, bar and the travel desk. Staff are always happy to take care of your needs and go beyond their call of duty to help. I got sick for a few days and I could not have the regular food at the resturant. The assistant executive chef came to my table and asked if he could prepare any special food for me. The duty manager for the day asked me if he could arrange for the doctor on call to come and see. This is the kind of servce you can expect at St.Mark's.
They make you feel you are "somebody". Individual attention is given to each and every one of their guest. They believe in total customer satisfaction. It is the best hotel we have ever stayed in Bangalore.

I highly recommend St.Mark's Hotel in Bangalore, India to any one.

A Hotel That Truly Became Another Home!

by TripAdvisor Member CharlesWGregory

The reviewer is a member of tripadvisory.com from Lyme, NH, USA
In this day and age when it is so difficult to find a fair deal, my wife and I have discovered a remarkable exception to the rule. We have been traveling to India for many years and stayed in many different hotels, something we do not normally care for. In the late 90's we were led to stay at St. Mark's Hotel and our negative hotel reactions changed overnight. This was a truly fortuitous experience for us, and time has proved our high esteem of this abode to have been more than justified. Since our first stay we have been there as guests at least twice each year for between 4 to 6 weeks and have enjoyed every moment of it.
Because the hotel is not too big, its atmosphere is warm, personal, almost intimate, and the personnel in all areas has always been exemplary. The rooms are comfortable and very clean, and the housekeeping department with its tailors, under the direction of Ms. Nagamani, has done some very fine jobs for my wife and me. The dining room has continuously been a delight, and delicious western food has always been available -- a necessity for us. When we ask for something special, it is done quickly and well.
Where else would the staff present you with a delectable cake and a beautiful basket of roses on your birthday? Surely not in the larger and supposedly fancier hotels, at least not in our experience. The general Manager, Mr. J. P. Menon, has always been available and most accommodating with regard to special needs and requests we have had. His management of the hotel is indeed excellent. We cannnot conceive of staying anywhere else when in Bangalore.
Oh yes, and when you get home you don't have to take out a loan to pay the bill.
Charles W. Gregory

Lovely hotel, felt safe

by TripAdvisor Member DwCl

Excellent, beautiful hotel, very kind staff. This hotel was my first experience of India, as I had travelled to India for the first time and had just stepped off the plane. I was travelling independently and as a single woman. The hotel staff were curteous, went out of their way to be helpful and the room was large, clean and very comfortable. I attended a Rajastani banquet in the hotel which the chef took me around to show me the dishes and I was made most welcome.

The hotel driver who picked me up from the airport was also excellent, so I hired him to take me around the city to see the sites of Bangalore and then the next day he took me to my next destination four hours away. Again felt safe. Clean, comfortable car.

Comments