More Tourist Hotel

Pusan National University - Rugby PitchPusan National University - Rugby Pitch

Me at Busan TowerMe at Busan Tower

Busan VT meeting...

Hey guys,

Psychokitty will be in town on Oct. 18-19... anyone want to meet with us on those dates?

Re: Busan VT meeting...

by psychokitty

Any ideas on what to do? Will be getting off the ferry in Busan for the first on the evening of the 18th, so there's not much chance of me being able to suggest anything!

Re: Busan VT meeting...

by amambaw

I say we hit a hoff and drink our faces off... or we could go dancing... lots of options.

by psychokitty

Looks so far like it might just be us two then! I'd prefer the 18th. Is that ok with you?

I'm staying in Gwangan and will be arriving on the 5pm ferry. I'll leave the rest of the planning of the drinking our faces off in your capable hands!

by amambaw

Monday night is fine... I won't be able to stay out too late (I work at 9 am in the morning), but we could do dinner and definitely some drinks.

Have you been to Korea before? What did you like to eat/drink? Might help the planning a bit better.

by psychokitty

Fair enough. Never been to Korea before and not fussy when it comes to food or drink. Not much help, lol.

Travel Tips for Busan

cycling, scooters, hiking...

by LaLaInTheWaynePlane

you can rent bikes and scooters...if you dare ride them in this MAD country...use bike paths and the side walks for scooters and bikes if you're nervous.

hiking equipment is everywhere...you don't need it...it's overpriced...just good shoes, a hat and common sense...there are mountains all around you here...enjoy them.

Busan: Getting There by Train

by Intrepidduck

From Seoul one can take the new French TGV technology high speed trains to Busan in 2 1/2 hours for approx. 45,000 won one way. These trains, which began in April 2004, now replace the "saemaeul" service that once took 4hours+. The high speed trains actually have to slow down between Daegu and Busan, since the tracks from there to Busan have not been upgraded yet, this will be a couple of years at least.

Haundae Beach at Night

by miketrudeau

In the off-season at least, there are next to no people on the beach at night. This makes Haundae Beach a great place to take a romantic and soulful walk. I love the roar of it, I love the smell of it, and the wind just whips right in off the water. The beach is big enough and far enough from the city proper that walking along the beach at night feels surreal and otherworldly.
Also, somebody built big sand sculptures of Buddha's head and two things that looked like...demonic sausages...or something. The fact that these sculptures just grew out of the sand between day and night added to the surreality of the situation.

Busan: UN Memorial Cemetery

by Intrepidduck

This burial ground was set aside in 1951 and in 1959 was through agreement with the Republic of Korea established as UNMUK - the United Nations Memorial Cemetery in Korea. During the period of the Korean War some 11,000 fallen of the UN Forces were buried here. The highest number were of one nation's fallen were of the UK - some 885, while there is even one Norwegian buried here also.

The grounds here are well kept and this is one of the few public open spaces in Busan urban area. It is well worth while taking a look at this facinating memorial.

Right next door to the UN Memorial Cemetery is the superb Busan Municipal Museum and Cultural Centre. This institution has perhaps one of the best collections of Korean artifacts on display in the country.

Living in Busan, South Korea

by BusanBrad

"My 1st 6 weeks in Busan, S. Korea"

As for me living in Korea,...man, its a trip! Thats the best way to put it. Everything is soooo different than in the US. Especially the food. Alot of it is good, but man do they eat alot of Vegitables. I guess thats why they are all so petite and healthy. I'm glad that I can cook all the american food I want at home.
The Korean people are fascinating. They are very kind once you get to know them. The society as a whole is incredibly safe. Woman and children walk the streets at night, without a worry in the world. To be caught by the police for doing something wrong is terribly shamefull. On the news, they never show the peoples faces who are caught; even for robbery. Their are no guns, no drugs, no real violence anywhere.
I hate to say it, but, I did have a stereotypical view of asian people. Its not my fault; its the only thing I knew from growing up in the US. I don't know if you can ever truly understand another culture that is so different than your own without experiencing it.
I'm shocked at how many really beautiful people there are here. Everyday I see woman that I wish I could talk to in Korean. Dating is difficult because I speak so little Korean. The woman who do speak some English, are often so shy that they cannot talk to me; even if they want to. Which, of course, is so very cute. I have started a couple freindships with guys. They are more willing to try to communicate in English. And, they are very effectionate, which can sometimes make me a little uncomfortable.
All in All, my first 6 weeks, not counting the 1st week when I was just overwhelmed, have been pretty cool. I like Korea. I like the people.

Comments