Benhur Hotel

Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Seoul

COEX MallCOEX Mall

Marker where the Popla tree use to beMarker where the Popla tree use to be

Catering feeding the bird for a 12hours returnCatering feeding the bird for a 12hours return

Execution chamber, interiorExecution chamber, interior

Itinerary Suggestions

by unpretty

I will be in Seoul next week and will be staying at Lotte Hotel Seoul in Sogong-Dong, Jung-Gu area. Arriving late afternoon (between 4-5pm)

I browsed through previous threads and Visit Korea's website. However, I still need help on how I should structure my itinerary.

Arrival day#1:
Seoul Tower -> is the view better in the evening?
Noryangjin Seafood Market

Namdaemun

Day 4
Namsan
Dongdaemun

Is above feasible? Suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Any other places I should consider visiting?

I am into gardens, palaces, and bargain shopping.

Is there a subway pass available for tourists (one we can use to travel around so that we don't need to purchase single travel subway tickets)?

Re: Itinerary Suggestions

by jckim

First, is a very difficult schedule Day1!
you arrive in the afternoon, and coming into the city from the airport takes a bit of time, i think it is possible to Seoul Tower and River Cruise.
and Day2, this day is impossible to schedule! myeong-dong, there are across the lotte hotel, so you are easy visit there, and near the cheonggyecheon located.
Insadong- Gyeongbokgung Palace- Deoksugung Palace is more nice scene of main street Seoul, it's in my opinion!
Cheers!

Travel Tips for Seoul

E-mail Documentation - PlanningTheTrip Part 1

by MeToTheWorld

E-mail docs w/ myKoreanFriend, to plan the travel - December 2005
======================================================
Sent : Monday, 19 December 2005 8:51:30 AM
Though Gyung ju isn't big, but there's many things to see and I agree that Busan is enough to look around 1 day or 2 days.
There are some youth hostels in gyung ju, but most of them are for students' group, not for individual. I think we should take a cheap B&B (Breakfast and Bed) in Gyung ju.
In Busan, as far as I know, youthhostel is cheapest. But it costs 28600won for 1 person of a dormitory. But we can stay Korean style Sauna instead of youthhostel. It cost about 8000won for one time. We can't ask them to keep our stuffs. Just for one time.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Sent : Monday, 19 December 2005 8:43:08 AM
I'm looking for some information about accommondaion in Gyung ju and Busan
This is web for one accommondation in Gyung ju

[1000won = 1 dollar]

They say one person for Korean traditional style room (it means there's no bedroom) is 20000won and adding one person, needed 5000won. So for two person, it just cost 25000won!!! But we should share bathroom BUT REAL BACKPACKER DOESN'T CARE IT. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR THE REAL BACKPAKER IS CHEAP AND VALUABLE!!! (if you can't bear it, you can choose room with bathroom, 30000won for 2 person)

And Youthhostel in Busan cost 28600won for one person a day. And busan is quite expensive comparing other city, not as much as Seoul. But there is well -arranged transportation, we can save our time and money for moving. Even though Gyung ju is cheap, but we'll face a problem of transportation. Many visitors use taxi for their journey.

And I think you need at least 400 dollars for 10 days. D***! I've spend 600 dollars for 18 days in C.H.I.N.A. during my backpacking. AND I'M SURE THAT YOU CAN SAVE YOUR MONEY in 400 dollars!!! (if we sleep at Korean Sauna in Busan, we can save accommondation fee. Cause it just cost 8000won for 24 hrs and there's a big hall for relaxing and sleeping And One meal cost 5000won (5 dollars) here.

Do Shopping!!!

Seoul has...

by Sarah97

Do Shopping!!!

Seoul has been recently known as Shopping Mecca. Surely most famous shopping spots are Dongdaemun and Namdaemun! It nearly opens for 24 hours! You can find this place well since it is bright at night too!!

Dongdaemun is famous for clothes. It is cheap and good in quality and design. You can find many many tourists and shoppers from all around the world, especially from China, Japan and Russia. I also go there sometimes. Most famous place is Doota and Milliore. In many shops they accept credit cards as well.

Namdaemun has more variety in goods. It surely has everthing you want. In Namdaemun, there are sectors for cultery, clothes, baby clothes, flowers, interior decorations, imported goods, clocks, hair accessories, Jinseng, Traditional souveniers and much more. Actually in here you can buy Korean traditional souveniers much cheaper than famous shopping streets such as Insadong and Itaewon. Try to bargain when you buy. It is a good fun as well.

Picture : Namdaemun which was the old South Gate of Seoul. Taken from Namdaemun Market side.

Raelians!

by miketrudeau

I don't think this is a very common custom, but evidently it is one which some Seoul locals follow enthusiastically. The Raelian cult has a presence in Seoul, which manifests itself from time to time (I guess) as smiling women wearing no tops but convenient flowers handing out pamphlets and dancing in ecstasy.
Here's what the pamphlet says about the Raelian cult: "In this book, RAEL delivers the messages which were given to him by extraterrestrials, the Elohim. In the distant past, they created life on Earth scientifically, in laboratories, thanks to DNA. The Bible was transmitted to us by them, but our primitive ancestors mistook them for gods...In 1973, then French journalist, RAEL, was contacted by the Elohim, who asked him to make their final message known worldwide and to prepare an EMBASSY where they can officially land among us, bringing with them all the prophets as predicted by every religion."
Apparently this involves the dancing of sparsely-flora-clad women. Fair enough.

Bibimbap! When hearing a...

by Kindra

Bibimbap! When hearing a Korean flight attendant utter these words, I just couldn't process that this was a Korean word: it sounded more like a name of some guy from the Southern United States. Anyway, the flight attendant was giving us the choice of meals for that day and we kept saying, 'Sorry? What was that one again? Bee bee bob?' The flight attendant just shook her head like, 'Of course, bibimbap. Are you crazy? It's bibimbap!' We asked what it was but the communication after that was kind of difficult. We later learned that it is a big bowl of vegetables (carrots, greens, mushrooms) that are stirfried and then you add steamed rice and hot sauce to your taste. Not too complicated but it took us a while to figure out what exactly this bee bee bob stuff was. :)

Backpacking in Winter

by bpacker

Backpacking in winter is no joke in Korea. Yes, there's no reason to giggle when you're carrying 10kg worth of clothes and equipment at -10c. So get your act right and get a good backpack to hold your essentials. Don't get cheap and buy your bag from a street vendor. Trust me, you'll lose your sanity when your bag bursts in the middle of a subway station. Picture yourself saying this in Korean...'Godammn it, would you move aside, you're stepping on my underpants. ' Layering is the trick to lighthen your load and keeping yourself warm.There's no point bringing all your bulky sweaters from home unless you want to be the Michelin Man. Wear one thin wolly layer atop another and if your budget allows, go for lightweight sweaters made of Thinsulate or Dupont. You'll be as snug as a bug under those materials. As for shoes, go for a good pair of waterproof boots and socks made from lamb's wool.
Ladies: Don't bother with heels , they'll seriously impair your ability to scale those mountains and you'll return from Korea with a leg cast for a souvenir. Bring aspirins for impending colds and diarrhoea.
Ladies : I read in some archaic guide books that there are no tampons here in Korea. What a load of bull****. They're available at all convenience stores over here. Digital Cameras are ideal for backpacking as they're feathers compared to the ancient bricks. All the photos in my webpages were taken by my handy Sony digishot. It's lightweight and it has survived subzero temps and underwater shots at 20m. A good water-proof parka will withstand light rain and snow. There's no need to bring your bikini if you're going to a hot spring. You'll stand out like an Eskimo in Miami. Koreans bathe in their skins, just like the Swedes.
(Bring one if you're going to the touristy Waterpia though ) There's no point buying heat packs from home unless you're really a tropical fellow. Just give your body a couple of days to acclimatise to the weather. I bought 10 or more packs but they served more as deadweights as I didn't use them. Also, they cost a bomb in Singapore and a fraction in Korea...arrgh...

Comments