Palm Village Hotel

Booking.com Asiatravel.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% higher but also costs 80% more than other 2.5 star hotels

• nature's lap

as my friend told me who visited this hotel with her husband in 2003. as she says,the location was ideal for any romantic couple. rooms were ideal for sharing love moments.
    one thing was negative that was about room service. my friend had to move far off to dining area to have tea/coffee and there was lack of entertainment while eating.
    although that couple found everything fine in this hotel but the point of worry remains regarding safety of private moments. As is exceedingly common to be caught by hidden cameras in hotels, i prior to visiting such calm places in the lap of nature and just just want to be sure about all these safety technics and really like to share these things with other readers. i would like to have opinions about this angle of breach of trust between hotel authorities and poor clients who come to hotels to relax and enjoy.
    although my friends are happy after they stayed there but just it's a nightmare developing day by day pertaining to privacy .

Unique Quality: sharing closeness with nature.

Directions: not applicable

More about Colombo

Looking back to Colombo fr Mt. Lavinia at SunsetLooking back to Colombo fr Mt. Lavinia at Sunset

hindu templehindu temple

Train travel is cheap and 'interesting'Train travel is cheap and 'interesting'

replica of Reclining Buddha, POLONARUWAreplica of Reclining Buddha, POLONARUWA

Global Towers

by petertktan

HI,

I will be staying at Global Towers on Marine Drive road. Can someone tell me whether the hotel is withing walking distance to:

1.The famous Beach Wadia restaurant along the beachfront?

2.Majestic City and Liberty Plaza?

3.Any supermarkets like Keells nearby?

Thanks.

by HansDK

1. Distance Beach Wadia restaurant is about 300 m.
2. Distance to Majestic City is about 2 km - Liberty Plaza is about 4.5 km.
3. I guess that the closest Keels Super is at 50, Ramaya Road - about 1.5 km away, but there are several supermarkets along Galle Road.

by ViajesdelMundo

of course, depends upon what you call 'walking distance'; I frequently walk from Liberty Plaza to Majestic City and further, but of course, the busses run constantly along Galle Road in those areas, which you can hop on any time.

and there are Keels at both plazas.

by petertktan

Dear Hans and Trish,

Thanks for your useful comments..I usually stay around the Galle Face Hotel/Taj Samudra area but this time we had a bigger entourage so decided to try out Global Towers since they are more of a service apartments. Will walk to Beach wadia but it has been a long time since I tried their lobster thermidor. Majestic City at 2kmns away is walkable will try doing that next Wed since its Poya Day..thanks alot for all your tips which were really useful....

Travel Tips for Colombo

The best thing about Colombo is the road out

by socheid

I stayed in Colombo for 2 nights and couldn't wait to get out of the place (I had booked for 3 nights but left early). I've been living in India for a couple of months and that I knew what to expect from people hassling you in the streets. Colombo is a whole league worse in my opinion.

The tuk tuk drivers come up to you in the street and seem to think that if they badger you long enough you will eventually give in. When you say to them, ' no thank you', and walk away, some them do a U turn, drive 30 metres up the street, U turn again and then start on you once more. At one point I flagged down a taxi (and I mean a taxi, not a tuk tuk) and asked how much to bar I was going to try. I was told 200 which I agreed to without arguing. I got into the front seat ready to roll. The driver then gave me some crappy line and then said it was going to be 300. I turned to my left and went to open the car door and leave. The driver then grabbed my right arm and would let me leave, saying, '200, 200, 200'. I wouldn't do business with this guy even if there wasn't a single other can driver in the world so I continued in my attempt to leave. He wouldn't let go of my arm and so this ridiculous tug of war ensued with my trying to leave the cab with the driver pulling on my right arm trying to prevent me from leaving.

Then there is people walking in the street and coming up making out they are warm and friendly and welcoming before turning the conversation on to the subject of gem stones and how great it would be for me to see some.

The high military presence (my cab was stopped at 3 cheque points on the way into Colombo from the airport and passed through dozens of others) you kind of get used to. One evening going home from a bar in a tuk tuk I was stopped 3 times on a journey of only 3 - 4 km. At one point when I was in a tuk tuk from the station to my hotel, the tuk tuk was waved down by military people one of whom then jumped in beside me in the back seat as he then tagged along for a journey he had to make.

There are suprises in bars too. I was in a German bar on Galle Road and asked for a vodka and orange. The drink was popped in front of me and I asked how much I owed. I was asked to wait a moment. This seemed a little unusual but I did as requested. A couple of minutes later I asked again and once more I was asked to wait. This seemed very strange to me and I made a point of not touching my drink (I still hadn't consumed any) until I seen the bill. I asked again and once was more was told to wait. By this time I knew something was up and made it clear I wasn't touching my drink until I seen the bill. Over 10 minutes after asking how much I owed I was finally given the tab and all was revealed - I was being billed for a double even though I didn't ask for this.

And of course there was the scams in the allegedly 5 star luxury hotels (see reviews of the Galadari and Taj hotels. Leaving the place.

CINNAMON GARDENS
Officially...

by SirRichard

CINNAMON GARDENS
Officially known as Vihara Maha Devi Park, it houses a huge Botanical Garden, the National Museum and is used by locals to walk and make picnics on weekends. In the photo, you can see me under a magnificient ficus. It houses many varietys of trees. Ebony, Fig, Loamon, Sal, Eucalyptus are some of them. A frequent sight to witness is the Bats hanging upside down from tree branches during the day. A childrens park is maintained at the southeast corner of the Green Park , featuring a small train and a zoo with numourous baby animals.

ATM

by explore_discover

There is one ATM Machine on the back side of Commercial Bank Counter. Slightly on left side after coming out of arrival hall.

Its better to draw money from VISA ATM rather then selling the foreign currency to the Bank Counters which offer lower rates then the open market. There is no extra charges when i used my Debit Card.

Ayubowan!

by daryll

Greet the local people by putting both of your palm and bow while you say 'Isthudi' or 'Ayubowan' I hope the meaning below is right.

'Isthudi' = Thank you
'Ayubowan' = Good day or Welcome

There is one interesting about the people in colombo city. Despite of the hassle and hettic roads in the city, irritated by screaming and shouting humans voice and honning sound from their private vehicle, and they drove mad like hell, no matter how dangerous they drive but they are able to avoid massive accident eventhough i could really imgaine that the drivers could bang each other. These Colombonians should be in Formula 1 race.

Recreational Activity.

by Emichelle

This is one of the great family clubs of which I’m a member too. Its one of the best in Sri Lanka and home to most of the Sri Lankan cricketers including the present Captain Mahela & former Captain Arjuna. The club is situated in Colombo 7. The club has many facilities which include, Cricket obviously, Swimming, Diving, Squash, Badminton, Tennis, Table tennis & a Gymnasium. The Cricket ground is an international test venue.
In addition to the sports activity the club has a club house, A/c Bar, Kiddies play area, Conference halls, and it’s a party venue for members private parties/get together.

So if you get the chance of getting there check it out. If your and expat spending time in Sri Lanka it might be a good place to get a membership for your recreational activity.

Comments