42, rue des Bernardins, 5th Arr., Paris, Ile-de-France, 75005, France

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• worldcam's Profile Photo

Nice place to stay!

Hotel Agora St. Germain was a delightful place for us to stay while we were in Paris in December, 2005. The hotel is in the Latin Quarter, very close to Maubert Mutualite metro station (although we enjoyed walking in the morning to Notre Dame for more service options). The location of the hotel makes it very easy to walk to the Pantheon, Notre Dame, and all the restuarants on and near R de la Huchette, right beside the St. Michel, Notre Dame RER/Metro station. The desk folks are VERY nice, something sometimes hard to find in Paris. The elevator is very very small - 3 people max! Less with bags! We were on the 4th floor and had a nice room with a fantastic bathroom. Space in the room was tight, but that was to be expected. We were only there to sleep anyway! Church bells rang right outside the window in the morning - and at the end of the week we'd had enough of that.....but I would definately recommend staying here.

Directions: East on St. Germain just past Mauber-Mutualite Metro -- turn left (south) on Rue Des Bernardins. That easy.

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

A little gem in the Latin Quarter

I stayed here for 2 nights in late May of this year. My trip to France had little advance notice. I had 4 weeks to plan and was sent from hotel to hotel by helpful desk clerks, and I am glad they sent me here.

This 3-star hotel was just fine and dandy, and a good value. The staff was friendly, it was small but very clean and quite well situated. I love being a short walk from Notre Dame! It was around 100 euros, give or take.

Unique Quality: A short 10 minute walk to Notre Dame.

Directions: Just off Boule St. Germain

More about Agora Saint Germain

Agora Saint Germain just perfect

We are a family of 4 and made our first visit to Paris in December. The location of the Agora Saint Germain was great. We walked every where. Breakfast was a delight every morning. The rooms were clean. We could open the double doors to let in fresh air. Fantastic bread shop and Fromagery right around the corner. We loved our visit.

Christmas week in Paris at the Agora Saint Germain

by TripAdvisor Member jnorman

Our week in Paris was wonderful and I (and my husband and son) were more than pleased with the hotel. We read other reviews of this property and based our decision to stay here based on those reviews - we were not disappointed. The room was small (as warned) but clean and more than adequate for the amount of time we spent in it. The bathroom was spotless -linens and towels were changed daily. The desk staff went out of their way to help us with our many questions and offered helpful advice. The location is excellent - walking distance to Notre Dame and really just about anywhere. Metro stops close by as are many restaurants, bakeries, open air market (the best). I would recommend it to anyone who is not looking to stay at the Ritz and would definitely go back myself.

Great hotel, great location

We (a party of 10) stayed at the Agora St. Germain in February. A room was given to us to stow our bags and freshen up (we arrived in the AM, before check in). It's a lovely hotel, the staff is very nice. There is renovation going on (our room smelled very much of paint, but we did get used to it -- our room was post renovation and lovely), but it doesn't start until 9ish and we were already up and out by that time. The breakfast is adequate, fresh croissants and bread, decent coffee (of course one can do better going to a cafe, but no one in our party complained about breakfast at the hotel). As a plus (for European hotels anyway), breakfast is not automatically included in the hotel bill, so there is no check out haggling over whether or not you had breakfast. The elevator was out one evening, which made a long, circular walk upstairs for 2 in our party (they didn't complain much -- it was their first trip to Paris and had carry-on luggage only, but it might be something you want to consider if you're traveling heavier). I would stay here again in a heartbeat!! A GREAT value -- in August I stayed at a hotel near the Louvre for almost double the price per night and the room was only a tiny bit larger and the bathroom was not nearly as nice. The Agora has a very nice location in what I felt was a safe neighborhood. One thing -- while I found the church bells (there is a church across the street) charming, they might wake a light sleeper.

It's great...but maybe not right now!

by TripAdvisor Member dupontgrl

The hotel has a lot of great points: super location, friendly staff, clean & well-kept rooms. Also, if you can get a free breakfast included, it is very filling (baguettes, croissants, cheese, jam & yogurt). The rooms are also a good size for Paris.

But, keep in mind that the hotel is currently undergoing a major renovation. Since the hotel is small, the construction is very loud (we're talking hammering and drilling), which starts every morning during the week at 9 AM. It's especially unbearable if it's being done in the room next to you. Also, due to the construction, the elevator was broken during our stay, and sometimes the toilets wouldn't flush right away. Once again, these are all just temporary issues.

A couple of extras: if you don't get a free breakfast at the hotel, don't pay for it. While it's filling, you're in Paris, and it's worth shelling out a few Euros for a much better baguette or croissant in the morning. In fact, there's a great boulangerie right around the corner from the hotel.

Also, the hotel directions from CDG instruct you to take the RER B train to Cluny Sorbonne. This is very easy, but keep in mind there's no Cluny Sorbonne exit on the RER B train. The train exits at St. Michel/Notre Dame, and there is an underground tunnel that connects you to Cluny Sorbonne. If you do exit at St. Michel, no worries, you're still close enough to the hotel to figure it out.

Very nice hotel in great location

by TripAdvisor Member Bunkle

I have just come back from a long weekend in Paris where I stayed in the Agora. It was a wonderful little hotel, the staff were all very polite and could not have been more helpful. The location was superb with lots of local cafés and restaurants. It is also only a five minute walk to Notre Dam and only 2 minutes to a metro station. I will definitely be staying here again in the future.

Good Hotel, Great Location

We stayed at the Agora for two nights at the end of January. The hotel was good (although not exceptional), with the rooms being comfortable and the staff very friendly. The real plus is the location - the hotel is just five minutes walk from the Notre Dame and there are plenty of restaurants nearby - but it's on a fairly quiet street itself so doesn't suffer from much road noise. The Agora is definitely somewhere I'd recommend to someone who wanted to stay in a reasonable hotel in a central location.

Great location by the Metro/RER and Notre Dame

by TripAdvisor Member Ravenduffer

We stayed for five nights in the spring. Clean small room with refrigerator. CNN was the English channel. We were in the front of the hotel which had a good deal of traffic noise, but the french doors were a nice touch and offered views of a historic church down the street. It was nice to have breakfast included in the Expedia rate, but there are plenty of inexpensive options very close to the hotel. We had terrific meals close to the hotel at Petite Pontoise, Atelier Maitre Albert, and Au Gourmand. I'd stay again.

Quintessential Paris

by TripAdvisor Member Aine997

Perfectly located in the Latin Quarter near Notre Dame, Jardin des Plantes Quarter, St. Germain Quarter. Staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are nicely decorated with above average new bathrooms. Around the corner is a marvelous bakery and just a couple blocks from a wonderful open air food market, cheese, wine, and butcher shops. Easy to get to from the airports as well as pick up transportation for getting around Paris.

We loved it.

Royal Cardinal Hotel???

by mdineen

Myself and my fiancee went to Paris last year for a couple of days. We stayed up North of the City. This time we plan to stay around the Latin Quarter as we liked it last year. One hotel we came across on the internet was the Royal Cardinal hotel. Can anybody offer any views?? Good or bad..... Almost ready to book something soon.
Thanks

Re: Royal Cardinal Hotel???

by GUYON

You can have an area map + a photo on this website :

I have no persoanl experience of this hotel but I know it is located in the Quartier Latin near Pantheon, Middle Age Museum (Cluny Abbey), Bvd St Michel, rue Mouffetard and Lutecia arena.
Avoid a room on the street:there is a traffic even by night.
The area is safe.

Re: Re: Royal Cardinal Hotel???

by mdineen

Thanks but I only got this now. I tried booking it early in the week but it was fully booked. Ended up booking th Agora Saint Germain. It looks quite nice.

Comments