Au Pacific

More about Paris

Jardin de TuileriesJardin de Tuileries

Portal of St-AnnePortal of St-Anne

EscargotsEscargots

Apparently there was a cooperage here.....Apparently there was a cooperage here.....

Transportation from Gare du Nord to rue Augereau

by KathyFranklin

Dear all,

There are 5 in my family, 2 adults, and three children. we are taking the Eurostar from London for our first family trip to Paris.

We need to get from the Gare du Nord to our hotel on the rue Augereau (near the Eiffel tower)

Can anyone please recommend the best way for us to do so?

I am afraid that a taxi will 1. be too expensive and 2. not be able to hold all of us and our luggage.

I am also afraid that navigating the train (mostly the stairs) with luggage and children will prove to be difficult.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

I am grateful for your help.

by leics

It's been a while since I was in Paris.

I think you are right about the taxis: it will not be cheap. I am sure there are taxis which will hold all of you, but cannot be certain.....hopefully another VT-er will be able to be definite, and perhaps give you a rough guide to the cost.

But if you have used the Tube with bags and children then the Metro will be no more difficult and, imo, is much more pleasant.....tunnels and carriages are wider and, of course, there are escalators.

You can find a Metro map here:

The nearest Metro station to your hotel is almost certainly Ecole Militaire, on line 8 (mauve). You will need to take line 4 from the Gare du Nord (direction Porte d'Orleans) and change to line 8 (direction Balard) at Strasbourg Saint-Denis.

My own feeling is that I would stump up for a taxi on arrival (with gritted teeth, if necessary) then decide during your stay, having experienced it, whether using the Metro will be feasible for your return.

by leics

Pedmar, will all taxis take 5 people? Any idea of cost from the Gare du Nord to Rue Augereau?

by leics

Unfortunately, I don't think the shuttle will be any good because they're coming on the Eurostar and it seems to serve the airports.

by leics

O yes, having checked through the site a bit more I see they do go from station > hotel.

I think I'd choose that option, personally.

Thank you!

by KathyFranklin

OP Here - many thanks to all who very generously gave me wonderful and thorough choices!

I am going to look at the yellow van shuttle site right now.

I am feeling much better now!!

by leics

It will be much easier than you think. Enjoy! :-)

Travel Tips for Paris

Carte Musees-monuments

by yashiko

With the musem pass, there's no admission charge*, no waiting in lines and no limit to the number of times you can visit more than 60 museums and monuments in Paris and in the Paris region.

*this is a bit tricky though, for example in Versaille you still have to pay for the king's state appartments and the garden. Also the museum pass doesn't permit access to temporary exhibitions or guided visits. But when you see the lines at the museums you will be glad you have the museumpass.

It's totaly worth it's price when you're planing on visiting a lot of museums and monuments. You have to do at least 2 a day to make it work.

There are three different passes: 1day(18 euro), 3 days(36 euro), or 5 days (54 euro).
Check the website for more information on which museums and munuments are included.

Website: www.museumpass.com

Surprises around every Corner

by BeatChick

One of the great things about Paris are the unexpected vistas you'll come across during your walks around Paris. Keep your eyes peeled!

In the 1st photo, I saw this beautiful old archway looking up Rue de Maubeuge from Rue de Dunkerque; it sits next to Gare du Nord. Fantastique!

In the 2nd photo, the gold dome of Les Invalides was peeking through the buildings as I was making my way down Place Jean-Baptiste Clément towards rue Gabrielle (November 2007).

In the 3rd photo, I unexpectedly glimpsed a full-on view of Sacré-Coeur as I made my way up the cobblestoned street of rue Briquet on my way to the youth hostel, Le Village, February 2006. I was walking from Gare du Nord to my hotel in Montmartre, just a 20-minute trip when I spied this. Had to take a photo of it to remember it.

Photos: February 2006 & November 2007

Champs-Élysées et Arche du...

by rhiannon1968

Champs-Élysées et Arche du Triomphe - the avenue is a 2 kilometre long stretch of mainly expensive shops and restaurants: at its end you'll find the Arche du Triomphe (see picture, which you can climb to reach the top). From there you see the star-shaped original lay-out of the city.

Le Beaujolais Nouveau Est Arrivé !

by Carmela71

The new Beaujolais has arrived!

We founded this sing in all the restaurants and cafes, so we tried it.

Is a new wine, so do not expect anything great, if you want to be for sure, try a Bordeaux.

Beaujolais is sold every year beginning the third Thursday in November.

Larger clothes?

by matcrazy1

I recommend you to pack larger clothes then you used to wear. Why?
Eating/food in Paris is delicious and you may catch EA (eating addiction), if you choose not low-fat food be prepared to get a few kilograms/pounds = take larger clothes :-).

Comments