Floride Etoile

Arc de TriompheArc de Triomphe

Place de la Sorbonne RestaurantsPlace de la Sorbonne Restaurants

Public transport in Paris

Hello Vt-ers,

I will be arriving gare du nord this weekend and would be heading to St Michel Notre dame station.

a) Can I take the METRO or RER from Gare Du Nord to this St Michel ND station? How long is the journey?

b) Do I need to change trains?

c) If I get the 3-day unlimited travel ticket (or the 10-ticket booklet), can this be used on both the METRO and RER trains?

d) The 10-ticket booklet - Does each ticket work only once (meaning single journey), or can the ticket be used throughout the day?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers
Glen

by angiebabe

Hi, when you get to wonderful Paris you can get a metro map from the offices there - there is a main office at Gare du Nord, that you can keep with you that show all the lines and how they connect.

Whenever Ive been there Ive used the 10 ticket booklet I think as half of my getting around is also on foot - each ticket is only for each journey so once you come out of an exit or off a bus that ticket is finished - yes they are for metro and RER which is what made them a joy for me - but I think perhaps when I was there for the Bastille day weekend I used a one day ticket as I was wanting to get to a lot of different places for things and quickly - weigh up the present cost when you get there and see what you think will be the best for you

by qrpw

To go to St Michel- take Line 4 from Gare du Nord metro station to St Michel metro station. 8 stations I think, so about 15-20 minutes. No need to change trains.

Each ticket works only once (single journey).

by hglen30

Thank you. Thats helpful.
How much does the 10-ticket booklet cost?

Glen

by Roadquill

The fast way is to take the RER B line that stops at Gare du Nord that only makes one stop at Chatellet/Les Halles before it stops at St. Michel. Within Paris centre you can use a metro ticket for both the metro and RER lines. The RER lines are the suburban trains, however, for all intents and purposes they function as a metro inside the city, but sometimes with fewer stops. One ticket costs euro 1.60 and a carnet of 10 costs euro 11.60. Generally the most we use is 4 tickets a day per person. Stamp your ticket as you go through the turnstyle and be sure to keep your ticket until you leave the exit. Karl

by pfsmalo

You can take the RER from Gare du Nord to St. Michel, only two stops. It costs 12 euros for a "carnet" of 10 tickets or 1,70 for 1 ticket. Valid on the buses and RER within Paris.

Thank you all.......:-))

Travel Tips for Paris

paris on a tight budget

by vivacolombia

There are lots of ways you can reduce your trip total bill. For instance, if you have a 'carte orange' you have a large discount on the Seine Cruise which is a 'must do' in paris.

You can have a 'crepe' for lunch which will definitly be cheaper than a full menu and a coffee at a terrace to get a grasp at parisian lifestlye. You can for instance do that in st michel or st germain.

Regarding your card, it will give you student discount for entrance fees but that's about it.

Jardin de l'Intendant

by kris-t

Bordering the Eglise du Dôme in the south-west corner of the grounds Hotel des Invalides is the Jardin de l'Intendant, Garden of the Steward. It is a classically-French designed garden of 13,311 square meters, created in 1980.
Here, on the garden side of the trees, is a bronze statue of Jules Hardouin-Mansart, the architect of the Eglise du Dome.

It is a lovely, restful garden for taking a bit of sunshine and admiring the gilded dome of the church.

In October my aunt paid for me...

by j-san

In October my aunt paid for me to go on an 'expensive' group tour to Paris from Prague. We went by bus, sure enough it was full of lawyers and engineers and other well-incomed Czechs. The tour guide was irritating, the hotel squallid and I quit the tour after the first day... >:(
Thereafter I wandered around Paris on my own for 6 days... :D I stumbled across a temporary chocolate exhibition: 'Salon du Chocolat', just under the Eiffel Tower! I paid the 30F entry fee not just to sample the chocolate, but to use the free Internet set-up! I surfed away and then hit the chocolate stalls! Expert chocolate makers showing their stuff while eager Parisians (I did not see a single tourist from what I could tell) hurled themselves at the delicacies! Eugh... I may have overdone it myself... ;9

Being impolite

by chess_machine

Well, here I will tell you a secret you may already have heard before. Parisian people are said to be arrogant and rude, at least towards French people who dont live in Paris. I will not give you my point of view on this. I live it to your appreciation...

Ile flottante: A dessert for all seasons

by shrimp56

Translated as "floating island", this dessert shows up on the menus of many Paris bistros. The standard version consists of a an "island" of fluffy eggwhites in a small pool of creamy custard. Sometimes caramel is added, or it is studded with other flavorings as in this version enjoyed at La Fontaine de Mars.

Comments